Start by marking “Wardrobe Crisis: How We Went From Sunday Best to Fast Fashion” as Want to Read:
Wardrobe Crisis: How We Went From Sunday Best to Fast Fashion

Wardrobe Crisis: How We Went From Sunday Best to Fast Fashion

Who makes your clothes? This used to be an easy question to answer: it was the seamstress next door, or the tailor on the high street – or you made them yourself. Today we rarely know the origins of the clothes hanging in our closets. The local shoemaker, dressmaker and milliner are long gone, replaced by a globalised fashion industry worth $1.5 trillion a year.

In Wardrobe
Published May 2016 by Nero

To ask other readers questions about Wardrobe Crisis, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wardrobe Crisis

Roxane Horton
Mar 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Probably the best book on sustainable fashion in the market. Clare makes a potentially difficult subject accessible and funny. I couldn't put it down - and that's saying something for non fiction. Read it if you have an interest in sustainable and ethical fashion, read it if you are designer, read it if you buy clothes, read it if you wear clothes!
Vashti
Jun 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An excellent exposition of our obsession with fast fashion, and all the dirty laundry that our habit comes with. I don't think I've ever been a major fashion victim, and I infinitely prefer quality pieces that last over a bargin any day. Zara and H & M are highly overrated to me (I'm a Gorman and Cue kind of girl). But still reading this book has made me question the impacts of some of my clothing. For example did you know that there are rivers in China that run blue because of all the jeans ...more
Elena Antoniou
Mar 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is an imperative reading for anyone who wants to understand the history of where our thirst for fast fashion has come from, and the detrimental impact it is having on the planet and those who work behind the scenes in the fashion industry.
Clare is a well respected and fantastic writer.. I am never bored with her writing!
A must for fledgling designers and established brands that want to change the way they see their role in the fashion industry.
Loved it!
Bethany
Mar 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One of the most entertaining and informative books on ethical and sustainable fashion I've read. Can highly recommend for anyone who wants to understand the history and future of fashion.
Cassandra
Mar 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
Wardrobe crisis has become my self help book, my favourite conversation topic and the book I most recommend to friends. As a young woman in the 21st century I was all too well acquainted with fast fashion. Reading Clare's book has honestly changed the way I consume. I no longer walk into stores thinking about what a bargain something is if it is only $10 for a dress. I instead think about the social, political and environmental costs for it to be that cheap. While I admit the first part was a li ...more
Cara
Sep 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a really interesting read for everyone. Whether you're interested in fashion, the environment or working conditions in developing nations - it has something to hold everyone's interest. It's pretty eye-opening to the detriment fast fashion has on the world and it's workers, but it's told in a quite factual way. The only problem I had with it was that sometimes the anecdotes meander a bit too much and don't seem to come together at the end of the chapter or quite get to the point, so ...more
Ellen McMahon
Brilliant, insightful, thought-provoking and hopeful (despite the often bleak subject matter).
I found Press' writing to be thoroughly engaging and loved the way she approached the topic from a fresh angle: telling the history of fashion and the stories of the designers to give social and historical context to how we ended up here. Fast fashion is serious business.
This book left me feeling both informed and inspired.
Katiuska Clarke
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017-books
One of the most important books I've read in a long time. Extremely well researched, entertaining and enlightening. Read this if you want to be transformed from fashion addict to sustainable fashion warrior prince/princess!
Allison
Sep 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
This book has really made me stop and think about where clothes I'm purchasing come from, and the chemical used in the process. I feel like I can't go back to blissful ignorance now that I know too much about the awful truth behind 'fast fashion'
Rebecca Parker
Mar 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved this book. So insightful and entertaining. 100% recommend.
Sayraphim Lothian
Jun 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book and how it presented the heartbreaking crisis we're currently in with fabric, clothing and textiles.
Natasha Reid
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A manual, background primer and call to arms for those of us thinking more consciously about the clothes we wear, who made them, and the impact their volume is having on the world as a whole.

Covering a history of fashion manufacturer, to the globalisation ownership of most of the brands we know. From high end fashion, to spotlighting some ethical brands doing impressive things, both for their community and with an environmental mindfulness lens.

I will forever look at blue jeans, duck and goose d
Chelsey
Jan 01, 2019 rated it liked it
I really wanted to like this book, but it just didn't capture me. The author has a really humorous tone and an engaging writing style, but her organization was all over the place. I also feel like she didn't really reach her thesis, because I left the book not really getting a good sense of how we "went from Sunday best to Fast Fashion." There was certainly alot of information dispersed throughout, but the pieces never came together in a cohesive way. Interesting topic but didn't really hit the ...more
Catherine
Jan 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A witty & easy to read presentation of a serious subject, full of in depth knowledge about how fast fashion is negatively impacting the lives of the makers and increasing landfill that cannot be sustained for our planet.
S Isa
Nov 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic introduction to sustainability and the problems of fast-fashion and mass consumerism. Clare Press is incredibly knowledgeable and speaks to some change makers doing incredible things to solve this crisis.
Gill Hutchison
May 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My book of the year!
Lisa Baudry
Jun 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book. A must read. Great references to other books, articles and thinkers.
Katie Boeckl
Jul 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Clare Press is hilarious, which was probably my favorite aspect of the book. But she was also informative and made me think about the clothes I buy. Would recommend!
Em
Aug 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was great! I'm not really into fashion or sustainability but it was a fascinating read. Well-researched and I liked the tone. I learnt a lot about the environmental impacts of fast fashion.
Caitlin Grace
Dec 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Left me with so much to think about, and surprisingly a lot of hope and excitement. A must read for literally all.
Amanda
May 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars, this book was super informative and I liked that it was Australian/NZ specific. As someone who doesn't know much about fashion, some if the names and references went over my head.
D
Sep 29, 2018 rated it liked it
This book covered a wide variety fashion industry and consumption aspects. It definitely inspired me to keep reading more and exploring these topics.
Jacinda
Jul 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
Wow. I don't really know where to begin with this book other than saying I think it's a must read for everyone. I am far from a fashionista, I don't even class myself as fashionable in the slightest, and yet this book was enthralling and captivating. It was really interesting to look into the historical aspects of some of the big brand names (Calvin Klein, YSL Vivienne Westwood etc) and even more interesting to look into how some are working towards ethical and eco friendly clothes. This book op ...more
Sharon Lee
Jun 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This easy to read book is part history part personal commentary. It's an interesting and thought provoking read. If you're not into fashion the answer is easy - buy a few ethically produced items when you need them. But if you like to dress up, frock up, try new things and flaunt your stuff then this book will hopefully make you think more about what you spend your money on.
Warren Gossett
Jun 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Full of fashion stories that intrigued this fashion novice. this book rambles through fashion history of the recent past. the goal of the author is to show us that we can look for and find clothes that are ethical but also original and inspiring. without breaking our personal finances. I like her approach.
Jessica
Sep 14, 2016 rated it liked it
Pros: I learned a lot, and will be reviewing what I buy and wear. It wasn't a story-book, but it was easy enough to read.

Cons: For someone not up with fashion, there were lots of names that meant nothing to me, which made it a bit tedious.
Rebecca
May 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. I've been trying to cull my overflowing wardrobe for a while now, and I think this book will help me to be more conscious of what I buy in future.

Few typos in the final chapter.
Kate Downton
Colette Godfrey
Oct 26, 2016 rated it liked it
Very thought provoking, a little long winded, I took a long time to read it (well it is #slowfashionoctober I suppose!)
Henrietta Cheshire
Jul 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book! It made me completely rethink the way I consume fashion. A compelling read, that should in everyone's library.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »