Start by marking “Italian Short Stories For Beginners: 8 Unconventional Short Stories to Grow Your Vocabulary and Learn Italian the Fun Way!” as Want to Read:

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  345 ratings  ·  45 reviews
Improve your comprehension, grow your vocabulary and ignite your imagination with these eight unconventional Italian short stories!

In this book you will find:
Short stories from a variety of compelling genres, from science fiction and crime to history and thriller, so you’ll have great fun reading, whilst learning a wide range of new vocabulary and rapidly improving
Published December 19th 2015 by Olly Richards Publishing (first published December 13th 2015)

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Italian Short Stories For Beginners: 8 Unconventional Short Stories to Grow Your Vocabulary and Learn Italian the Fun Way!
Nick Pageant
Jul 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
My G. continues his quest to pull me up from ignorance and teach me the bella lingua. This was his best effort so far. I really enjoyed this book. The stories are entertaining and written with enough simple words that I was able to scratch my sexy, masculine jaw and figure out the tough words through context. Highly recommended for anyone with some basic Italian skills. If you're learning another language, this series has a lot to choose from. I'm assuming they're all just as good as this one.

C
Nick
Feb 09, 2017 rated it it was ok
This is a weird book, man. The stories are really weird. But helpful.
Maria
Sep 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this book. It is very helpful for beginners and for people that have not used the language for ages. Strongly recommend it!
David Brown
May 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was once again a series short good little stories each story being divided into four chapters.

One negative about this book is that the little vocabulary section at the end could have been expanded more, but than to be fair its listed as a book for high beginners to low intermediates.

I struggled with some of the grammar points, because this was listed as stories for beginners but on closer inspection it is listed as for high beginners. So that could have been clearer.

I feel like those who r
Shacoria
Overall, this was a good book and I found it helpful, but some of the stories were not very good. I found the first story to be interesting to read. The second story was quite confusing and hard to get through. Story 3 was fairly interesting, but the ending was a bit confusing. The 5th short story in this book is downright bizarre. The eighth story was just plain stupid to me. Still, I look forward to reading the next book in this series.
Bridget Crossan
May 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Demanding enough to tax your abilities but not so difficult for beginners. Stories are interesting and insightful.

Alan
Jul 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A good book with some very bizarre stories however they were enjoyable and definitely challenged me.
Lisa
Dec 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great stories!

I bought the audiobook and Kindle version. Italian is my fifth foreign language, and since I already know Spanish, French, and Portuguese, I was able to understand the stories on the first go. However, I will continue to listen and read along to improve my understanding and build my vocabulary. Listening while reading along is an excellent way to learn a language. And repetition is key! I teach English as a second language and use stories with great success. If you are learning Ita
Andy Balicki
Jul 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great tool for novice Italian students. Chapters are an appropriate length and there is an ample amount of defined words at the end of each chapter. The chapter summaries are handy, but I would recommend providing an English translation of the summaries at the end of each chapter alongside the Italian. I wish we would have used books like this in my college courses. Looking forward to reading the other two Italian books in this series.
Lamadia
While I think this book helped my reading skills some, the stories are just poorly written. They don't make any narrative sense and seem to just jump around and end out of nowhere. There were also lots of editing errors. However, I don't know how many other language learning aides like this are out there for self-educating. It was worth reading through them, but I think next I'll just try actual books or newspapers in Italian. ...more
Cristina
Oct 29, 2017 rated it liked it
The stories are pretty boring, though I guess it did help with expanding my vocabulary. I also read them out loud, which helps with figuring out pronunciation. In the future, I think I'll just stick to regular children's books instead of books specially designed for language-learning. ...more
Nancy Burkey
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent and entertaining way to learn Italian. Richards' instructions to essentially 'just read it' the first time through without looking things up is brilliant. At times that was quite difficult to do, but after several chapters it became easier and his rationale became clear. He wants the reader to take in the language without having to dissect every word or grammar point (as one does with a primary language). I did that the first round through and found that I was surprised by h ...more
Dru Morgan
Jun 06, 2018 rated it it was ok
While I certainly appreciate being able to read "easy" stories in Italian for practice, I have a couple notes:
1 - just like the review that I read, these stories are weird, I mean "what the heck" weird
2 - terrible editing, spelling errors, missing words/letters, whole paragraphs missing (from the alternating English/Italian paragraphs) and simply terrible translation into English, as if there were no native English speaker involved in the editing.

Did I mention that the stories were weird. Not,
Miki Jacobs
Jul 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I studied Italian at night school for about 3 terms before they shut the school so I was a bit apprehsive about this as I thought that I wouldn't be up to this. However the premise of the book is not to translate the stories, but to read them without looking up words and get the general idea of the story. Each of the 8 stories is split into 3 parts and at the end of each part there is a brief summary, some vocabulary and a quick multiple choice quiz to check that your understanding.

I surpised my
Giedrius Statkevičius
Aug 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
It is 4 stars because:
- The Q&A sections at the end of each chapter sometimes were next to each other which means that it had been really hard sometimes to avoid seeing the answers before looking through the questions. For example, this happened on the last chapter of the whole book;
- Sometimes some phrases were bold but they had not been translated at the end of the chapter or wrong phrases had been translated;
- Sometimes some Italian language mistakes were made. For example, in one place it wa
Bruce McNair
Jun 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: italy, short-stories
This is a collection of short stories in Italian targeted at people beginning to learn the language. Each story is broken into three parts followed by a summary and a set of questions. The stories are nice little vignettes that portray some interesting situations, some more fanciful than the others. I enjoyed them, although the language was still a little challenging for me. I gave the book 4 stars.
Brian
May 21, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was perfect for what I wanted, some simple stories written in contemporary Italian. Although the stories weren't really my taste, I was reading for the language learning, not the story value. I'd probably get volume 2 if there were such a thing, who knows I might even get good enough to go up a level. ...more
Isabel
The stories were a bit odd but as a beginner, I was able to understand everything that was going on. As long as you have a basic knowledge of the grammar and a good handful of vocabulary this shouldn't be too challenging. ...more
M V GOMEZ
Feb 09, 2021 rated it really liked it
Great book

Great book but I would suggest that you provide the new words for the chapter first. The words can be learned and understood and in that way you can apply the new words to the chapter.
Emma Thurston
Dec 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Excellent, really enjoyed these short stories and they helped me improve my Italian in a fun and engaging way!
Jeff Snider
Aug 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fun easy stories in a mix of genres for learning Italian.
Ana-Maria Petre
Jun 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Most stories are ridiculous but they're doing their job. ...more
Nancy Vanstone
Jul 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The right mix of stories for such a book.
william ellison
Jul 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Che dice?

Simple little stories one suspects are aimed at teenagers or younger but useful in building confidence in understanding the target language and quite diverting.
Hannah Baker
Mar 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyed reading these stories in an effort to further my understanding of the Italian language.
Rick
The stories were weird but they were really good for learning to read in a new language. It was an enjoyable way to learn to vocabulary and grammar within context.
LA Smith
Nov 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Useful for my Italian language study.
Mélanie Maillot
Nov 30, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some of the stories were weird/boring, but I read it mainly to improve my Italian - in this sense it did serve its purpose.
Donna Arcara
Jan 03, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
PERFECT for my very beginner Italian language!! :)
Milli
no rating but great if you want to learn a language

• Non puoi essere tu: An Italian story of mystery for Italian A2-B1 level learners (Learning Easy Italian)
  • La prossima vittima: An Italian story of mystery for A2-B1 level learners (Learning Easy Italian Vol. 3)
  • Italian Reader: Short Stories (English-Italian Parallel Text): Elementary to Intermediate (A2-B1)
  • Italian Short Stories for Beginners: 20 Captivating Short Stories to Learn Italian & Grow Your Vocabulary the Fun Way! (Easy Italian Stories Book 1)
  • Italian: Short Stories for Beginners - A Collection of 5 Stories from Daily Life to Improve Your Vocabulary and Reading Skills (Italian for Beginners, Learn Italian Fast)
  • Kettlebell - Simple & Sinister
  • 500 Miles from You (Scottish Bookshop, #3)
  • Lingua Latina per se Illustrata: Pars I: Familia Romana
  • Fallen Angels (Dead Cold Mystery #26)
  • Von Bismarck zu Hitler. Ein Rückblick
  • The Italian Wife
  • The Sterling Affair (The Forensic Genealogist #6)
  • I, Pierre Seel, Deported Homosexual: A Memoir of Nazi Terror
  • The Asylum (The Forensic Genealogist #.5)
  • In Other Words
  • My Wife Maria Callas
  • The Girl from Widow Hills
  • Right Behind You (DCI Tom Douglas, #9)