Start by marking “A Void the Size of the World” as Want to Read:
A Void the Size of the World

A Void the Size of the World

Rhylee didn’t mean to kiss her sister’s boyfriend. At least, not the first time. But it doesn’t matter, because her sister, Abby, caught them together, ran into the dark woods behind their house…and never came home.

As evidence mounts that something
Published July 4th 2017 by Simon Pulse

To ask other readers questions about A Void the Size of the World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Void the Size of the World

Start your review of A Void the Size of the World
Camila Roy ••RoyIsReading••
RATING: 1/5
*Contains mild spoilers*

I should’ve known this would be a mess just from the synopsis *sighs*. Why do I let myself get sucked into these overly dramatic books with one dimensional characters and no actual development? I might be doing this subconsciously just so I can rant about said books.

SYNOPSIS:A haunting novel about a girl who must face the consequences after her actions indirectly lead to her sister’s disappearance. Rhylee didn’t mean to kiss her sister’s boyfriend. At least,
Stacee
Jun 23, 2017 rated it it was ok
Emma
Sep 30, 2017 rated it did not like it
This one goes like this: 50 pages of the main character whining and the same things happening over and over again, then 2 pages with a mysterious, possibly paranormal plot development, then back to the whining for another 50 pages, mystery for 2, etc. Then it ends. Oh, and none of the paranormal stuff is ever resolved and the main character doesn’t seem to care.
Kelsey Schulz
Andrew
Jun 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction

**I read an ARC of this through my work**

*potential but not detailed spoilers ahead*

2.5 stars? I was super hooked on this book in the middle, when it was taking on a thrillery vaguely sci-fi turn, the way Shaun David Hutchinson writes. As things began to wrap up, I was a bit let down and disappointed. I also feel like a lot of things were not followed up on and should have been concluded or revealed. Little-ish things, but noticeable enough for me to want answers, such as the note Abby wrote

Angela
May 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
Man, I wanted to like this so much more than I did.

As a mom, this should have ripped me apart on so many levels. It didn't.

As a sister and friend, this should have broken my heart. It didn't.

As a human being, I should have felt compelled to read, to get to the end. Instead, I felt like skimming to hurry it along.

The pacing was off and the way Rhylee's guilt was manifested seemed off and I simply didn't appreciate the storyline regarding the Circles.

And so: The dreaded two star review it is.
Stephanie Faris
Jul 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A Void the Size of the World introduces us to Rhylee, a girl who has always lived in the shadow of her perfect sister, Abby. The icing on the cake, though, was when Abby ended up with the guy Rhylee always wanted. A stolen moment with Rhylee convinces him to break up with her sister, who disappears the same night. The haunting mystery of what happened to her, combined with Rhylee's ongoing guilt, makes this such a suspenseful read. Most of all, though, Rachele's writing just carries you to the ...more
Alayna
Aug 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Taylor
Sep 05, 2018 rated it did not like it
Nuzaifa - Word Contessa
Dec 22, 2015 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2017-lookout
Having absolutely LOVED Rachele Alpine's CANARY, I cannot wait for her upcoming YA novel! DAT SYNOPSIS THO. 2017 why you so far away?!!

UGLY CRYING

Canary by Rachele Alpine was one of the most under-rated novels and easily one of favorite reads of 2013.

Read my full review of Rachele Alpine's CANARY here.
Veronica
Kari
Dec 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
Jun 24, 2018 rated it liked it
I received this through Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

Rhylee has always loved the boy next door. He was the only thing that she could claim as hers, outside the shadow of her perfect sister, Abby. However, because Rhylee wasn't quick enough to act, Abby claimed Tommy as her boyfriend. The two are the perfect popular couple, but Rhylee and Tommy have feelings for each other. When Abby catches Rhylee and Tommy kissing, she disappears. The town is in an uproar looking for their
Tedi
Dec 26, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am not sure what to think about this book.

It uses crop circles as a plot device.

Ultimately, it is a story about grief, and accepting that you can continue to be alive even when someone that you love is not.

But I almost feel like it was trying to do too many things: The crop circles, Rhylee blaming herself for the accident, Rhylee kind of trying to be her sister for awhile, Rhylee not letting herself continue living and being happy.

It was not a bad book, but I think it would have been a
The Book Addict (Bite-Sized Reviews)
"in my version, when abby fell into the water, she kicked off her shoes and striped off the clothes that were heavy and pulling her down. she swam to the surface and climbed out, running barefoot all the way back home to us, and I was there waiting. and tommy never came between us again. there was only my sister and me, and everything was the way it used to be."

T H O U G H T S:

a girl has gone missing. did she run away? was she kidnapped? was she killed? between the mystery of what happened and
Kendra
Apr 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Okay I’m with a lot of reviewers on this one.. whiny Rhylee throughout the whole book is suuuper annoying. But so is her sad excuse of a mom. I liked Tommy and her brother Colin best! The book really shows how grief can hit a town. But I guess I had higher hopes for this book. I was hoping it was going to be one of those books where she wasn’t really dead. Like maybe she was hiding or kidnapped or something suspenseful. But noope it just flopped. This really is just a book of whining and grief ...more
Kirsten
Jan 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Read, read, read, read!!! I finished this book in two days because I could NOT put the book down. It kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time just wanting to know what happened to Abby and what will happen to Rhylee.

"I wasn't naive enough to think gossip just disappeared. It rose and fell like waves, some days crashing down on you so hard it was almost impossible to stay on your feet and other times a gentle lull that tricked you into believing everyone had moved on to something new"
Julie
Aug 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Bickering Book Reviews
For a more in-depth review watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEzfX...

2.5 Rating: This book had a decent premise however the character development and the way the plot unfolds didn't work. The book works as a very basic realistic fiction however readers may have problems with the lack of resolution.

We received eARCs of this book from the publishers through Edelweiss in exchange for honest reviews,
Samantha Montes
Aug 31, 2017 rated it it was ok
Jenny
May 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love Alpine's work. Her characters are well developed and the plots keep me guessing until the end. She is able to take tough teen issues and make them accessible to all ages. I feel their pain and joy while I have hope for their futures.
Yveloute Rea
Aug 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I could not put this book down. I felt every emotion that Rhylee, her family, and Tommy went through and I could relate to all the characters even Abby. This was an exceptional book and strongly encourage and suggest reading it!!!!!
Jessica
Nov 08, 2018 rated it it was ok
The story started out really good and went downhill from there. By the end of the story I just wanted it to be over. I kept waiting for a cool twist that never came. Plus, there were many spelling and grammar mistakes, which I couldn't believe would be allowed in a published book.
Carlee Beatty
Jul 24, 2019 rated it did not like it
I wish there was an option to say "I gave up on this book" but this book was so terrible I could not even finish it. It got real weird after being an uninteresting slough.
Lauren
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was so good. I literally couldn’t put it down.
Shelby Day
Oct 08, 2017 rated it liked it
2.5 -Great concept idea, but characters felt flat especially considering the emotional trauma they went through.
Becky
For a more in-epth review watch: https://youtu.be/pEzfXeivyZI

Rhylee has spent her entire life in her perfect elder sister's shadow but when Abby goes missing Rhylee blames herself.

Oh, this book just annoyed me. The entire story felt extremely repetitive with Rhylee constantly blaming herself for Abby's disappearance. It felt like every other paragraph was Rhylee stating her guilt which would be fine if I liked or connected to Rhylee but I didn't. Rhylee came across as a spoiled child who made a
Becky Price
Jun 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
I had some mixed feelings about this story. The very well developed characters and mystery of the story kept me reading. I wanted to know what happened to Abby. Was she really gone? Did someone kill her? Was it an accident? Is she still alive and just exacting revenge on her sister? I needed to know! But then the ending happened and I learned nothing. I was mad. I didn't understand how the author could leave me hanging like that, but then I realized her genius. This story is so well written that ...more
Hauntedbybooks
Jul 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
I enjoyed reading this book. It definitely kept me wanting to know what happened next. The characters were well written but I still had a lot of questions that didn't get answered. Rhylee was a hard character for me to feel sorry for. She just seemed really selfish and not very emotional when it came to her sister. The ending was disappointing to me. I did enjoy the mystery and what little romance there was. I was provided a ebook in exchange for an honest review from netgalley.
may
Oct 21, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Mrs. Ryan's 2nd P...: Book Review for A Void the Size of the World 1 6 Dec 03, 2019 08:50PM

• The Wood
  • This Lie Will Kill You
  • This Is Not the End
  • Never Missing, Never Found
  • Someone Else's Summer
  • The Lighthouse Between the Worlds (Lighthouse Keepers #1)
  • The Cold Is in Her Bones
  • Breaking Butterflies
  • What the Dead Want
  • Deadly Little Scandals (Debutantes, #2)
  • The Sacred Lies of Minnow Bly
  • S.T.A.G.S
  • Breath, Eyes, Memory
Rachele Alpine is a lover of binge watching reality TV, dogs, knitting, gummy peaches, and lots and lots of coffee!

One of her first jobs was at a library, but it didn't last long, because all she did was hide in the third-floor stacks and read. Now she's a little more careful about when and where she indulges her reading habit.

By day she's a high school English teacher, by night she's a mom and