Start by marking “Lions in the Garden (The Uprising #1)” as Want to Read:
Lions in the Garden (The Uprising #1)

Lions in the Garden

(The Uprising #1)

Prague, 1610

Ludmila Novakova--Mila--has barely set foot outside Prague Castle in her seventeen years. But with the choice between braving the bandits and wolves of Bohemia's uneasy roads or being married off to a disgusting old baron, she's taken what she can carry and fled.

Escape won't be easy. Even Mila has heard the rumors of a rebellion coming against the court. The p
Published March 1st 2016 by Kensington Publishing Corporation

To ask other readers questions about Lions in the Garden, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lions in the Garden

Carrie
Jan 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Mila's father is a high ranking member in the royal court. When Mila finds out that there is a plan for her to marry a baron almost three times her age she decides to run away from the castle. Alone in the woods and with her horse injured she finds herself in danger from a couple of thieves. Out of nowhere Marc comes to her rescue and gives her a ride on his horse back to the castle.

Mila is immediately taken by Marc but he is the son of blacksmith and a Protestant. There is unrest between the P
Cora Tea Party Princess
DNF at 21%.

I'm not feeling this one right now. It's really similar in style to Melanie Dickerson and I've only just read one of her books.

I'll definitely come back t it though!
Lisa Pickle
Jan 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was my very first ARC and the very first ebook I read. Exciting! I know I mentioned in my recap post that I wasn't going to be reading//reviewing as diligently, but this is one of the ARCs I received before I made that decision, so I will still review it, since that's the whole reason I received it in the first place.

Thank you Netgalley and Kensington Books!

~*~

I wasn't exactly sure what to expect. This isn't really the type of book I would pick up off the shelves and read, based on cover
nisha (paper cranes)
Jan 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
*thank you to NetGalley for allowing me to read this book*

THIS BOOK, this book! Honestly, I have so many feelings about this book, so I'm just going to write them all, even fi none of them make any sense whatsoever.

First off, I read this right at that wonderful time when I was craving a good romance, and that made me love this book so much more. The romance in this book develops wonderfully, and the characters seem to develop their feelings very naturally, which I enjoyed. The author writes sce
Emma
Feb 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
I received a free copy of this book via netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

A historical fiction novel with a great premise. I did not know much about the history of this time before reading it, but after reading this great book, but it really intrigued me. I am not a big fan when the main theme is romance so I was glad that there were plenty of other themes running through the book. But there was a enough romance for romance fans.

I loved the action and all the plotting and scheming. The
Mareyes
Jan 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can hardly contain myself! I Love Chelsea Luna's Books , I am so looking forward to this book!
Shelby
Jan 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely Loved it! Have been waiting for this and it was worth the wait! Love, Love the way Chelsea Luna writes! Can't wait for the next one!
Arshia
Feb 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
The characters, the backdrop, the history it was all so wonderful! I loved this story and Mila's journey was so much fun to read. She was such a child in the beginning but she had strength of character that helped her overcome various struggles and her own naiveté. This was an amazing beginning to a hopefully a wonderful series.
donatella
Jan 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I've been waiting so patiently for this book to come out, I also Love Chelsea Luna's Books. She is definitely one of my favorite Authors. Hurry and come out!
Happy
Jan 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Soooo Excited for this Book!
Kate
Jan 03, 2016 rated it liked it
Love this time period! Am excited to see how this book turns out and what will happen.
Bambi Unbridled
I was pleasantly surprised by this book. I loved that the setting was Prague/Bohemia as it gave me a nice change of pace from the more prevalent England/Scotland settings. I would also say this one focuses a tad more on the historical fiction side than historical romance - but there is still some (clean) romance in there for those that need it in their stories. This was also one of those books that had me googling things as I read. I don't recall learning much about Prague in school, so it made ...more
Nina
Feb 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Thank you to Kensington Books at NetGalley for providing a copy for review!
This is also on By Page or By Plane.

I was vacillating between 4 stars or 3 stars, but decided on 4, because the historical aspect of this book wins over the somewhat lackluster romance.

If you like history, you'll love this book. Set in the beginning of the Reformation, this follows Mila, a noble who has been sheltered all her life, and her discovery that life is drastically different for the peasants outside the castle wa
Marguerite
4 Stars.

Absolutely delightful! Lions in the Garden was a wonderful read and I absolutely raced through the pages. I enjoyed the characters, vivid setting and intriguing plot.

The heroine, Mila, was just a joy to read. I won't deny that there were moments when I thought "She can't seriously be thinking that! Of course _____ is going to betray her", but considering her situations, I totally understood her choices.
Marc was certainly the dashing hero, and whilst he featured extensively, I still fee
Isabella
Jan 08, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: meh
Gosh I don't know. I'm really torn about this book! I liked it buuuuuut... It's instalove. Like Romeo and Juliet kind of instalove, and they're star crossed lovers, and it was just a little to... corny maybe? I don't know, this paragraph really says it all,“Whatever ideas you have about me and—what did you call it? my long list of women?—aren’t true. I’ve been with Zora and a few others in the past. I’m nineteen, what do you expect? But nothing I shared with any of them compares to how I feel ab ...more
Ally
Feb 10, 2016 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: illogical people? mayhaps.
Shelves: abandoned
NetGalley. Thanks for the copy.

I'm sorry, but no. This is not for me. The premise of the story seems promising, at first, but then... When I started reading the book, I was mostly scanning through the pages. An assault at the first chapter? Eh... Why should I care so much about the narrator? And what is she even doing outside of her castle without wearing plain clothes instead of her fancy getup?

(Yep. I have no time for this. Sorry.)

Rating: One out of Five
N.N. Light
Mila has lived inside the walls of Prague Castle and like a bird in a gilded cage, she’s desperate for freedom. Disgusted by the prospects of marrying an old, fat baron her father’s age, she flees on horseback carrying only what she can carry. Thieves happen upon her and she’s frightened. But before they can accost her, a dashing young man swoops in and saves her. Marc, the peasant son of a blacksmith, returns her to the castle but not before sparks fly between the two.

There’s an uprising coming
Debbie Gascoyne
Jan 31, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley, ya, 2016
I'm sure this will appeal to anyone who enjoys light historical romance and isn't too fussy about either depth of character or historical accuracy.

Mila's father has insisted that she marry a fat old baron, so she steals a horse and escapes into the forest. Threatened by wolves - real and metaphorical, in the form of nasty woodsmen - she is rescued by the handsome son of the town blacksmith, with whom, of course, she falls instantly and madly in love and he with her. Oh, and that's just the first
Angela (Pooled Ink Reviews)
pooled ink Reviews:

If you are seeking a light read, and a romance at that, then this book is indeed for you. It’s the perfect book to take on a short to mid-length flight filling you with romance and action as you devour your complimentary pretzels and soda, and will keep you swathed in its fantastical tale even when the plane hits a touch of turbulence. Lions in the Garden provides readers with something measured and brief yet glowing with forbidden love.

Read my FULL review here: https://pool
Anna
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As the daughter of the High Chancellor of Bohemia and the King's right hand man, Mila has certain expectations that she must meet to please the court and her father. Expectations such as marrying someone of nobility and being a devote Catholic. But like most good YA books, she has other plans for her life.

This book takes place in 17th century Prague after the Protestant Reformation amidst tension between the Catholics and Protestants. The story begins when Mila finds herself outside the castle
Gretchen Hohmeyer
This review first appeared on my blog, My Life is a Notebook

Thanks to NetGalley, Kensington Books and Lyrical Press for this eARC! This title will be published on March 1, 2016.

As a lover of anything vaguely historical fiction, I knew I had to request this from NetGalley. Luna tackles a period of history and a place that I had never read anything of before, and that alone hooked me. However, the first few chapters … well, they were really rough.

The story sure does open with Mila running away fro
Miranda (MrsLeif's Two Fangs About It)
This book was so hard to rate. There were things I really enjoyed about this book, but there were also things that I really didn't like at all.

What I did love about this book was the time period and the setting. I thought it was so cool to read about a book set in Prague. The author did a great job at describing the settings of the castles and surrounding areas during the 1600s. I also loved reading about the outfits Mila got to wear. I personally love ballgowns, and Mila got to wear so many of
Kristyn - Reading to Unwind
Mar 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Mila has been kept mostly in the castle by her father after her mother's death. Mila tries to run away after she over hears a suitor trying to get her father to give him permission to marry her. While Mile is running away outside the castle she gets attacked by thieves who try and hurt her. Marc was out in the woods and was able to save her from the thieves.

I really enjoyed reading this book. First I loved the chemistry between Mila and Marc it started off strong and she was talking through her
Lisa
Feb 20, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

Lions in the Garden
Chelsea Luna
Lyrical Press
Pub Date- March 1st, 2016
Source- Netgalley

First I want to thank Netgalley and the Publisher for letting me read this. I have a strong love for historical fictions that take place in a time of history that I know little about. Also that take place in places I want to go. I really think this book hit the mark there for me. I enjoyed that aspect very much, learning about Prague and a little of its history. There were a couple things I did have trouble wit
C.J. Burright
Mar 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
One of my favorite aspects of Lions in the Garden was the setting. I’m no history buff, and I don’t know much about Prague and Budapest, so the historical tidbits Chelsea sprinkled in were really interesting, especially with the religious war brewing and the king’s precarious hold on the realm.

I love stories with castles, swords, and romance, so of course this book caught my eye…even without any magic. :) Mila is a likeable character, and while she’s in the hopeless situation of being a noble fo
Heather A
I received a copy from Netgalley.

There are some books you know that you just aren't going to like and unfortunately this title is one of them. Initially it was the cover that caught my eye about this one when I saw it on Netgalley, however, the story is very very dull. I'm only at 10%, and already don't like the main character. I must admit, also, I thought it was a fantasy, not a historical. It's trying to be a historical but it doesn't really feel like it.

The speech patterns felt kind of too m
CassieV
Jan 29, 2016 rated it liked it
My first ever ARC!! Squeeeee!!

Lions in the Garden fits a genre niche that is underdeveloped, in my opinion. It's a purely historical fiction young adult novel. Not fantasy. Not steampunk. No vampires, werewolves or witches. Just pure historical fiction, which I don't personally find much of in the young adult shelves. So for that, I'll give it extra points.

The story itself is good, if lacking a bit of the depth that I like in my normal historical fiction. Perhaps, that is because it's YA and tha
Tnmi02
Jan 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
LOVED This!! Chelsea is such a great writer! I loved everything about this book. Historical Romance is one of my favorites. She describes it so well. I feel like I'm in Prague! A must read!
Janelle
Jan 31, 2016 rated it liked it
This review appears on my blog: http://youngaspiringwritersanonymous....

I received an ARC of this book from NetGalley and Kensington and Lyrical publishers.

I have mixed feelings about this novel. In some ways I enjoyed it because it was set in Prague in 1610 which is during the time of the Reformation. It is not a Christian fiction book but it had some interesting insights as to what was going on during this time among both the Protestants and Catholics. It is also kind of a coming of age story
Emily
Mar 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: review-copies
Frightened by the prospect of an arranged marriage to an old man she dislikes, seventeen year old Mila flees her home in the palace of Prague in 1610. As the chancellor’s daughter, Mila has never been outside the palace unescorted and certainly not through the thief-infested forests outside the city. After handsome blacksmith’s son, Marc, rescues her from bandits, Mila falls hopelessly in love and begins to see that the rebellion brewing among the peasants is not without just cause.

Lions in the

• Winter's Heir (Fairy Queens, #4)
  • The End of All Things (The Kinsman Chronicles, #1c)
  • How to Ditch Dead Guys (The Witch's Handbook, #2)
  • Myths of Mish (Fairytale Galaxy Chronicles #2)
  • Teach Me To Live (Teach Me, #1)
  • Unwritten Melody
  • Rise of the Faire-Amanti (Ascendant, #3)
  • Weddings, Crushes, and Other Dramas (Creative HeArts, #6; Willa and Finn, #2)
  • Bloodmoon (Bloodmark Saga, #3)
  • The Sound of Silver (Steadfast Love #2)
  • Five Times Revenge
  • Sinned
  • Truth of Embers (Dragonsworn, #3)
  • Saint Anything Sneak Peek
  • Duly Noted
  • The Apple Tree
  • Only the Heart Knows (The Brides Book 4)
  • Gladden the Heart (Amish Turns of Time #5)
Chelsea Luna is the author of the bestselling NEW ENGLAND WITCH CHRONICLES, a young adult paranormal romance series comprising of four novels. Chelsea is also the author of the YA historical series LIONS IN THE GARDEN and the YA horror trilogy, LOVE & THE ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE.

Chelsea received a Juris Doctorate from New York Law School in 2007, and a B.A. in Sociology from the University of Tennes

The Uprising (2 books)
  • A Forest of Wolves (The Uprising, #2)