Start by marking “The Scrum Field Guide: Agile Advice for Your First Year and Beyond” as Want to Read:
The Scrum Field Guide: Agile Advice for Your First Year and Beyond

The Scrum Field Guide: Agile Advice for Your First Year and Beyond

(Agile Software Development Series)

Thousands of organizations are adopting Scrum to transform the way they execute complex projects, in software and beyond. This guide will give you the skills and confidence needed to deploy Scrum, resulting in high-performing teams and satisfied customers. Drawing on years of hands-on experience helping companies succeed, Certified Scrum Trainer (CST) Mitch Lacey helps you ...more
Published December 16th 2015 by Addison-Wesley Professional (first published January 29th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Scrum Field Guide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Scrum Field Guide

Start your review of The Scrum Field Guide: Agile Advice for Your First Year and Beyond
Shiva Pande
Jan 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Extremely useful book! Loved the practical advice and great examples of how Agile fits into real organisations at different levels of agile maturity. The book is well written and easy to read.
Consta
May 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book about Scrum with really good practical advice even for experience Scrum Masters like myself.
I especially like the real-life stories (or fiction-ed stories but, who cares, they're similar to situations one either faced or will face in a Scrum project) in the beginning of each chapter as they provide a great context to the subject the author is going to (clearly) explain.
I totally recommended it as it's in my top 3 books about Scrum.
Kristjan
Meant rather for a person who is only about to start "on the field". Well structured and covers a variety of topics, however considering the size of the book, it is rather limited with tangible practical advice. ...more
Tiago Palhoto
Mar 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book, full of practical experience!
Craig Mccracken
Jun 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great information whether you are new to Scrum or currently working with it
Julija
Mar 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Perfect for the beginners.
Mylene
Sep 15, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although old, useful information ;)
Daniel Wetzel
Mar 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Super practical and super relevant all types of scrum teams. Highly recommend to all scrum masters
Karschtl
Apr 10, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My company started with Scrum in 2009 and are way past our first year. Nevertheless I found this book quite informative on how to meet challenges. And be sure - we still have them after all this time, they just keep changing their outfit.

I did read the book in order, but you really don't have to - just scan the TOC and pick out the topics that currently interest you. After illustrating the topic with a story from the real word, Lacey always continues with presenting the modela and keys to succes
Jeanne Boyarsky
May 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: technology
"The Scrum Field Guide" is a nice way to get started with Scrum. It covers the practices through useful stories and advice. Heavier on the advice side. The stories seem realistic and highlight important points.

I liked the tables and tips provided. For example how to estimate the first time and how to map pre-Scrum roles. And I loved that there was a whole chapter on "done." I also liked the concept of corporate mandates being a tax on your time.

I also liked the practical advice and explanation
Christophe Addinquy
This book should not be considered as a "definitive guide" on Scrum ! It pretend to be the way about how to deploy Scrum. For that, the book is rather comprehensive and well written. However, it's rather an opiniated way to deploy Scrum (and I disagree on several occasion). It should be exposed this way. Some could be enlightened by the text, but I'm rather disappointed.
ma note de lecture en français ici
Jacinta
Not all of it was directly relevant to me but plenty was. Presented in an engaging manner with a story to start each chapter by illustrating the scenario he was about to discuss. Lots of useful takeaway points that I will be referencing as we introduce scrum at work. Clearly written in an easily digestible manner and usually well justified arguments.
Dave Bolton
Some decent advice in here for tricky cases. I did find the dialogues annoying and condescending, but it's not like a tech author is supposed to be Hemingway, I guess. ...more
Stef
Oct 08, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
Ideal start for a beginning Agile/Scrum practitioner.
Stanley Kubasek
Oct 14, 2012
Marco Vicente
Oct 30, 2012

• Scrum: The Art of Doing Twice the Work in Half the Time
  • Coaching Agile Teams: A Companion for ScrumMasters, Agile Coaches, and Project Managers in Transition
  • The Wim Hof Method: Own Your Mind, Master Your Biology, and Activate Your Full Human Potential
  • The Best Skin of Your Life Starts Here: Busting Beauty Myths So You Know What to Use and Why
  • Migrations
  • The Unicorn Project
  • Tiny Habits: The Small Changes That Change Everything
  • Games People Play
  • Uncommon Grounds: The History of Coffee and How It Transformed Our World
  • Gators and Garters (Miss Fortune Mystery #18)
  • Turn the Ship Around!: A True Story of Turning Followers into Leaders
  • Lean Analytics: Use Data to Build a Better Startup Faster
  • Running Lean: Iterate from Plan A to a Plan That Works

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

Agile Software Development Series (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • Beyond Requirements: Analysis with an Agile Mindset
  • The Scrumban [R]Evolution: Getting the Most Out of Agile, Scrum, and Lean Kanban
  • A Practical Approach to Large-Scale Agile Development: How HP Transformed LaserJet FutureSmart Firmware
  • Agile Analytics: A Value-Driven Approach to Business Intelligence and Data Warehousing
  • Agile Software Requirements: Lean Requirements Practices for Teams, Programs, and the Enterprise
  • Agile Project Management: Creating Innovative Products (Agile Software Development Series)
  • Scaling Lean & Agile Development: Thinking and Organizational Tools for Large-Scale Scrum
  • The Software Project Manager's Bridge to Agility