Start by marking “Judaism For Everyone: Renewing Your Life Through The Vibrant Lessons Of The Jewish Faith” as Want to Read:

The outspoken author of the best-selling Kosher Sex turns his energy and erudition to the core teachings of Judaism itself, presenting the Jewish faith as a source of inspiration and meaning to people of all religions.
Published April 1st 2003 by Basic Books (first published 2002)

Mark
Jul 30, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: religion
I came to this book looking for principles that Judaism has remembered and Christianity has forgotten to enrich my spiritual practice as a Mormon. Pretty much everything of value in the book is something that Mormonism already has that sets it apart from mainstream Christianity, so there's that.

But the value density of the book was too low to be readable: one or two useful thoughts in a chapter of self-congratulatory drivel and New Age affirmations. The author has an excessively shallow understa
Jillian
Finished, finally.

This was a difficult book for me to get through, because Boteach is very repetitive. Even within the same paragraph, he'll use the same phrase as though it's a new thought, and he has a tendency to rearrange the words of an old sentence to make a new one. Thus, much of the book feels like padding.
In addition, I have to soundly reject some of his conclusions. Notably the "benign sexism" and misogyny inherent in his argument that women should joyfully accept their place in the ho
Missy
Jun 25, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People seeking a new faith
Shelves: stop-reading
I did not engage with this book. I love the concept and I was very excited to better understand more about Judaism from the point of view of Boteach. I think his introduction had too much rhetoric about conversion to Judaism and about how Judaism is THE religion/way of life to follow. I did not want to read the book to be recruited, I wanted personal growth and knowledge. I found other works and television works by Boteach to be very approachable and charming. He is a clearly devote man with an ...more
Wendy
Aug 07, 2009 added it
Recommended to Wendy by: I heard the author on the radio and liked him.
Here's a few quotes from the book.

"The deepest loneliness is the fear that we will never be fully known, that there is no one who can truly fathom our depths or fully grasp our pain, that no one will ever join us in our deepest spaces."

"Restraint, discipline, and a commitment to self-mastery are the foundations of religious life." (a bit redundant perhaps, but he makes the point)

"The primary purpose of every leader is to take away the excuse from each of us who wants to renounce a virtuous life.
Fredrick Danysh
Nov 26, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: religion
An overview of the Jewish faith. It covers what Jews believe as well as explaining some of their religious beliefs. While not a Jew myself, it gave me a wider understanding of Judaism.
Don Gubler
Aug 23, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: religious
We can learn so much from each other if we would only listen.
Kris Siegel
Aug 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: jewish-books
An important book. Rabbi Boteach is a great teacher.
Rebecca
Jul 08, 2009
Nikki
Feb 16, 2011
Denise Junker
rated it did not like it
Sep 05, 2017
May 12, 2014
Emily Thompson
Jun 29, 2017
« previous 1 3 next »
Rabbi Shmuley Boteach, named by Talkers Magazine as one of the 100 most important radio hosts in America, is a nationally syndicated talk show host, the international best-selling author of 15 books, and an acclaimed syndicated columnist.

A winner of the London Times highly prestigious "Preacher of the Year" award, Rabbi Shmuley has lectured and appeared in print, radio, and TV all over the globe.