Start by marking “Morrighan (The Remnant Chronicles, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
Morrighan (The Remnant Chronicles, #0.5)

Morrighan

(The Remnant Chronicles #0.5)

Before borders were drawn, before treaties were signed, before wars were waged anew, before the great kingdoms of the Remnant were even born and the world of old was only a hazy slate of memory told in story and legend, a girl and her family fought to survive.

And that girl’s name was Morrighan.

In this prequel novella to the Remnant Chronicles, a girl and a boy from enemy
Published January 12th 2016 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about Morrighan, please sign up.
Kayla This is what I read when I looked it up.
(I know your comment was written a year ago but just In case, here you go because I was wondering myself).
"I …more
This is what I read when I looked it up.
"I read this in between books 2 and 3, which is what I recommend. You need the storyline of book 2 so you know why this story is important, and Morrighan helps you better understand book 3."(less)
Catherine His love for Morrigan's mother was still there. Jafir and Morrigan reminded him of his forbidden relationship with her mother. A moment of compassion.…moreHis love for Morrigan's mother was still there. Jafir and Morrigan reminded him of his forbidden relationship with her mother. A moment of compassion. (less)

Start your review of Morrighan (The Remnant Chronicles, #0.5)
Mikee (ReadWithMikee)
"On its heels came a whispered name that was always just beyond my reach, not yet mine to hear, but I knew that one day my children’s children or the ones who came after would hear it.

One day hope would have a name."
THAT. WAS. BEAUTIFUL. I can't even put my feelings into words right now. I hoped that this novella would temporarily satisfy my Remnant Chronicle withdrawals. AND OH IT DID. But it riped my heart into little, tiny pieces and now, I'm still struggling to put those piec
˗ˏˋliaˎˊ˗
May 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“our stories must be passed to our sons and daughters, for with but one generation, history and truth are lost forever.”

oh, the joy of revisiting a world so dearly beloved. this little story has granted me a reading session that was just a little over an hour long, but reminded me of all the reasons why i love reading. especially now knowing the background of the stories lia translates in the second book, everything makes much more sense and has led to tiny puzzle pieces being put together int
Katerina  Kondrenko
8 out of 10

I almost forgot how I love Mary Pearson's writing style and her way to tell a story. Now I remember!

This bonus introduces us to Morrighan, after whom Lia's kingdom was called, and to Jafir, whose name sounds Arabic, but the appearance is Viking-ish much.

They live in the post-apocalyptic world (which descriptions from previous times remind me of our own). The girl is a part of the Remnants, survivors with knowledge, honor, and love for work. The boy is a part of Scavengers, wild
Éimhear (A Little Haze)
"Alone. I imagined another time, long before seven stars were thrown to the earth, a time when a girl just like me had sat on these same steps staring up at the endless blue sky. Possibility became a winged creature that could take me anywhere I asked. I was wanton and reckless with my imagined wanderings."

This was a lovely quick read. Well written, an interesting origin storyline with a Romeo and Juliet vibe going on. I would have liked it to have been a little longer though. There is so mu
Scrill
Sep 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Ahh, what a sweet edition!
Yodamom
Dec 14, 2016 rated it liked it
The background information gained sheds a lot of light on the story. I had read book 1, really liked it but missed something. Well here it is, details about the before, important ones. I think it was only two hours of audiobook.
Stacee
Jan 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2016
I really liked getting Morrighan's background. And of course Mary gave us some delicious kissing scenes. ...more
Maggie ☘
“Our stories must be passed to our sons and daughters, for with but one generation, history and truth are lost forever.”

I enjoyed the story of Morrighan even more than The Kiss of Deception itself! It was just so, so very beautiful. And the romance was the most beautiful thing of all! I didn't think it was possible to fall in love with the relationship Morrighan and Jafir had in so few pages, but I did. Though I wouldn't mind this story to be standalone book instead of a novella.
Aside for t
Lo Bookfrantic
3.5

Short and good, I am curious about the series and will definitely be continue the trilogy.

Listening to the audio book via library Overdrive

Sara Saif
Jul 31, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: its-a-tie

I have a question; where the eff is the "fantasy"?

I love companion stories and novellas so I enjoyed reading it. BUT...
Frustratingly, it still doesn't provide the kind of detail I wanted and since the author wrote this to explain the backstory, mazel-tov to my hopes of a fulfilling explanation in the third book. It tells of what happened after the Remnant were born or whatever. I didn't want to know what happened after as I already deduced that much for myself funnily enough. I wanted the before
Reem Ghabbany
Oct 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was so good and heartbreaking. I love it :'( ...more
nuin giliath
I am really enjoying the way this author writes YA romances between individuals of different cultural backgrounds. There's always an element of forbidden connections which increases the stakes (and my personal stress levels.) This was such an engaging enemies-to-lovers tale told in approximately 100 pages. While it worked well enough in the novella format, I also think the story would have made an amazing full-length novel. As might be expected with a novella, parts did feel rushed or resolved t ...more
Ann (annreads)
Aug 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
“I felt the magic of it, the beauty of a moment that would soon be gone, and I wanted it to last forever. I turned and I looked at the prism of light coloring Jafir's hair, the ridge of his lips, and my hands on his shoulders, and I kissed him, thinking that perhaps one kind of magic might make another last forever.”

This novella was so amazingly beautiful, I can't even express how much I loved it!
Now can I have a full book about Morrighan and Jafir, pretty please?!!❤️

*I would highly recommend t
Helena Paris
Book lover
May 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
4,5/5 stars

This was sooo good! If you are a fan of The Remnant Chronicles I highly recommend for you to read it! This novella literally made my heart ache. I was invested in the story from the beginning and was rooting for the characters so hard!
My only complaint is the fact that the ending felt super rushed, but other than that I LOVED IT!
Scarlett Readz and Runz....Through Novel Time & Distance

― Mary E. Pearson, Morrighan

As far as I understand, this is the prequel to "The Remnant Chronicles" and it was published actually 2 years after the first installment. So I am sort of reading it out of order, but I decided to start here.

Short and sweet: Morrighan has lived with one clan in hiding from a different tribe. Unaware for the longest time of who she really
h o l l i s
This wasn't quite the backstory and worldbuilding I had longed to have properly explained in this world however.. this did set the record straight a bit as far as some of the mythology that had been passed down regarding the way the world of The Remnant Chronicles had become what it was. I liked that it perfectly encapsulated how things get twisted over time and enjoyed this true story much more than what everyone thought it was. Definitely more satisfying to read after the whole series, despite ...more
Ronda
Apr 12, 2016 rated it it was ok
For a short story I struggled! I found the book boring, the characters boring and I'm still kind of looking for the fantasy aspect... Not sure I'll be picking book 1 up because of this! ...more
Marie
Jul 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
BookTube-A-Thon Challenge #3 Read a book in one day ✅

Quick fun novella to give some backstory to this fantasy world.
Jessica {Litnoob}
Jul 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Even a novella in this series is devastating... but it was also so so good. And it was nice to see in real time the myth that shaped the world of the main series.
Francesca ❆
Aug 21, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: how-about-no
I hoped it would give some insights on how the world of Remnant was born...it did, but the characters were so boring and the writing was so messy I think I’m gonna quit this series.
Drewthereader20
Meh this was alright....
Minni Mouse
Surprisingly enough, I think I liked this charmingly brief novella better than The Remnant Chronicles as a whole. Morrighan's and Jafir's childhood romance was the darnedest, sweetest thing ever, and in the 82 pages that we had I loved reading about their two conflicting tribes.

I'm not entirely sure this will help me understand The Remnant Chronicles any better beyond knowing Lia is Morrighan's Chosen One, but even by itself it was such a delightfully entertaining story that I would absolutely d
Maxine ❃ etherealpages
Apr 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
"I am yours, Morrighan, forever yours... and when the last star of the universe blinks silent, I will still be yours."

This was pretty good for a short prequel, it had the romance, the action and most importantly, the explanations. I'd recommend reading this before The Kiss of Deception as there are Morrighan spoilers in the first book (if you're observant enough, unlike me).

I understand that things need to be compressed as this is meant to be a short prequel but the ending felt too rushed an
Natália Lopes
"Our stories must be passed to our sons and daughters, for with but one generation, history and truth are lost forever"

I do enjoy novellas because I think they, more often than not, really expand on the world, mythology or a character's understanding, of the main books. And thought this lacked the spark I was expecting, since Morrighan is this world's most famous heroine and there is a lot of mythology surrounding her, it was interesting to follow the actual character and how not eve
Lyndsay
May 08, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
3.5/5 stars

When I initially read the series several years ago, I didn't bother reading this short novella. I didn't even know about it until I'd already started book 3 so I didn't worry about going back and reading it. But I'm getting ready to reread this series at some point this year and I wanted to have the extra context. I don't remember the finer details of the series. But now that I've read this, I'm interested to see what it adds to the series as a whole.

As I feel about most novellas, it
Yenthe
Feb 14, 2020 rated it liked it
Just a nice little extra story in the world of the Remnant Chronicles.
Iliada
May 27, 2019 rated it liked it
This is a novella so the 3-star rating is pretty standard. I rarely give novellas anything else as I don't enjoy them that much and I only read them if they're part of a series I'm enjoying a lot so they're normally good enough for 3 stars but not more than that.

As for the novella itself, beautiful writing as always that pacts a punch despite its short length. Nevertheless, I had the same issue with this one that I had with this author's other work. They are very slow-paced, I wish they would ju
Jan 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I CAN NOT BELIEVE THIS!!!!! How can a prequel Novella be so EPIC!!!! This just blew my mind away!!!! WOW!!! I am speechless!!! I've been reading and reading books waiting for something this brilliant but came across nothing! Till now!

Pearson takes us thousands of years back from the time of Princess Lia. Right where Morrighan was just a little girl. Before a kingdom was named after her. The journey was full of adventures, sorrow, love and finally hope. Hope for a better future. A future where L
Jesikah Sundin
Jan 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya, romance, fantasy
Love, LOVE, Love this beautifully woven novella of prevailing love amidst the violent, harrowing wilds that claim the Remnant, who roam in search of safety and food. Including the Scavengers, who pillage to survive. Kindness in an unkind world frames the moral story in poetic, scintillating prose. The words fairly shimmer off the page, they are so beautiful!

I highly recommend the prequel novella, Morrighan, to all fans of The Remnant Chronicles as well as to those who wish to dip their toes int

• The Moth & the Flame (The Wrath & the Dawn, #0.25)
  • Diaper Study (Soulfinders, #3.5; Study, #6.5)
  • The Seekers of Genesis: Empyreal Roots
  • 透明人間の骨 2 (Toumei Ningen no Hone, #2)
  • 透明人間の骨 3 (Toumei Ningen no Hone, #3)
  • The Lost Sisters (The Folk of the Air, #1.5)
  • The Lives of Saints (Grishaverse)
  • Transparente, Tome 1
  • 11:59
  • The Shadows Between Us
  • Too Good to Be Real
  • How the King of Elfhame Learned to Hate Stories (The Folk of the Air, #3.5)
  • Hush, Hush Collection: Hush, Hush / Crescendo / Silence
  • The Crown & the Arrow (The Wrath and the Dawn, #0.5)
  • The Mirror & the Maze (The Wrath and the Dawn, #1.5)
  • Bridge of Snow (The Winner's Trilogy, #0.5)
  • A Kingdom of Flesh and Fire (Blood and Ash, #2)
  • The Winner's Kiss (The Winner's Trilogy, #3)
See top shelves…
Mary E. Pearson is the NYT bestselling and award-winning author of eleven YA novels and one novella. Her works include the completed trilogy, The Remnant Chronicles, which in a starred review, Publisher’s Weekly called “masterfully crafted.” Her favorite activities as a child were climbing tall trees imagining she was a hero in some fantastical world, or running along fence tops and roofs pretendi ...more

The Remnant Chronicles (3 books)
  • The Kiss of Deception (The Remnant Chronicles, #1)
  • The Heart of Betrayal (The Remnant Chronicles, #2)
  • The Beauty of Darkness (The Remnant Chronicles, #3)