Start by marking “The Monster War: A League of Seven Novel” as Want to Read:
The Monster War: A League of Seven Novel

The Monster War: A League of Seven Novel

(The League of Seven #3)

The Monster War is the third book in the action-packed, steampunk League of Seven series by acclaimed author Alan Gratz.

Having discovered the monstrous secret of his origins, Archie Dent is no longer certain that he is worthy to be a member of the League of Seven. But with new enemies to face, he realizes that he may not have the luxury of questioning his destiny.

Wielding
Published July 12th 2016 by Starscape

To ask other readers questions about The Monster War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Monster War

Start your review of The Monster War: A League of Seven Novel
Bill Tillman
Okay book three did not grab me the way the other two did. Everything wrapped up, almost as an anti-climax to all the battles!
Angie
Archie Dent is still reeling from the revelations about his origins. He doesn't want to be a hero with the League of Seven anymore, he just wants to curl up in a corner and stay there. Mr. Rivets is having none of that and purposefully gets Archie kidnapped so he can figure out who is taking homeless children off the streets. Archie meets Gonzalo, who is a blind Texas Ranger, and who carries a talking ray gun. Archie realizes Gonzalo is the law bringer for the League of Seven and through their ...more
Hannah Belyea
Jun 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Archie has learned the horrific truth about his origins, but he must continue his search for the final members of the League of Seven and band his friends together to stop an army of monsters from rising - before he completely loses himself to their influences. Gratz brings this dark adventure to a fitting close that is sure to keep fans reading past dark. Can seven talented kids really stand against such an ancient force?
Alex
Mar 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Archie Dent is a monster. A monster lives inside Archie Dent. A monster is tearing her way across the country turning ordinary people into twisted terrible creatures. Monsters are starting to wake, ancient beasts who have broken the world. A Monster War is brewing, and Archie Dent is one of seven people who can stop it, or at least contain it. With the last two members joining us the League of Seven is complete and they are ready to fight. A great book and honestly I hope this author keeps going ...more
Lucas
Sep 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There's a battle brewing between people that are mostly humans and people that are mostly monsters. The Monster War by Alan Gratz is the third book in the League of Seven series. The author introduces new characters in a way that is revolutionary. This book includes foreshadowing on such a large scale that it could make one question if the whole series was planned out from the beginning. For example it can be confusing why Gonzalo pointed señor x at Archie until near the end when everything ...more
Wren
Dec 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
Katelyn
Dan Shonka
Sep 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The much anticipated finale (maybe) for The League of Seven series. (Mr. Gratz shared he was interested in continuing it, if the publisher showed an interest. . .) I love how Mr. Gratz has taken an old folktale and spun off of it, modernized it, and tossed it into a funky alt-world steampunk setting. It's an entertaining series that he builds well. Like all his work, Mr. Gratz knows the importance of any book is its heart, and he does an outstanding job of getting the reader emotionally invested ...more
Theo
Jan 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Royal Hinshaw
Sep 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable conclusion (for now?) to the series. Enjoyed all the new characters, but wished we were able to spend more time with them. That ending felt a bit rushed. I hope there will be more with this series, these characters, and this world. I picked these up for my daughter (who was about 10 at the time) but enjoyed it very much myself.
Andrea
Great alternate history! Jesse James, Harriet Tubman, the Battle of Gettysburg and more all as part of an adventure go save the world from ancient monsters. Throw in a dose of identity questions and you have a fun boom that makes you think hard. This book isnt just for kids. ...more
Sean
Jan 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Peter
Nov 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People 9 and up
I think it was a good book that mostly led up to expectations.
It was a great ending to the series, but I would still like there to be a fourth book.
Overall, it was a great and interesting novel.
Edward
Jan 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very well written and good job melding the plot
Ms. Yingling
Copy provided by Young Adult Books Central

Archie Dent is not up for an adventure right now, having found out his origins in The League of Seven and The Dragon Lantern. He'd just as soon curl up in a corner and never emerge, but Mr. Rivets isn't having it. The Mangleborn are rising again because people are using lektricity, and Philomena Moffett is using the power of the dragon lantern and must be stopped. Mr. Rivets gets Archie kidnapped on purpose so he can investigate the gang that is stealing
Patrick
It's good. I really like the overarching themes of transparency and choice in who you become. The monsters and action were fun too. I continue to love the various Native American tribes that make up the United Nations in this alternate history. I also love the reassigning of historical figures to new, interesting roles. Archie's difficulties and the particular traps set for him in the book were also very interesting.

However, the plot was a little too cute and fast in a few spots. The League
Teresa Osgood
Dec 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While Archie mopes around because of his newfound true identity, his increasingly independently-thinking machine man sends him out to do some good in the world. By so doing, Archie meets the very intriguing final members of the League of Seven, and gathers the will to end the Monster War that has been sweeping across the United Nations. More fun with alternate history , more opportunities for heroism, forgiveness, and change. Quite satisfying.
Daryl
Aug 22, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Definitely the weakest of the series for me. It began to feel more and more like Gratz just wanted to pull in some representative of every culture or mythology or steam punk doodad he could think of, and for me this rendered it a real mess. I like the series and enjoyed reading it with my kids, but was glad to turn the last page of this installment.
Chris
Nov 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"The Monster War" is an awesome ending to a fun trilogy. You can't really go wrong with ninja robots, giant monsters, superpowers, and steampunk blended together in a rollicking adventure. I only wish there were another trilogy set in the same world coming along. Here's hoping it will happen someday.
Dennis Sison
Sep 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a nice (if a bit abrupt) end to a great three book series. The second novel is my favorite by a whisker. But I found myself chuckling and re-reading passages from this one quite a bit. As a whole, I recommend this series for kids 10-99, well done, Mr. Gratz.
This was a disappointment as a series ender. It moved slow in the beginning and then seemed rushed at the end. I also got rather annoyed with Archie. Glad to have wrapped it up, but could have finished stronger.
Tiffany
Jan 11, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not a fan of the content myself - ended up flipping through the entire trilogy just to see what happens after reading the first part of book one. I also must agree with another reviewer that I would seriously question many aspects of this book as being appropriate for middle schoolers.
michelle
Jul 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was the best of all 3 books. I completely couldn't put this one down. It didn't have as much of the backstory to tell and only needed to add two additional leaguers, but it was more cohesive than the other books. I loved the whole series, but this was my favorite.
Judy
Dec 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Could not put this book down. Best of all three books
Madeline (The Bookish Mutant)
A great ending to a fun, witty, and exciting series!
Stacy
Mark
Jun 09, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Metropolitans
  • The Royal Ranger: A New Beginning (The Royal Ranger, #1)
  • Loki's Wolves (The Blackwell Pages, #1)
  • Odin's Ravens (The Blackwell Pages, #2)
  • Thor's Serpents (The Blackwell Pages #3)
  • Curse of the Broomstaff (Janitors, #3)
  • Strike of the Sweepers (Janitors, #4)
  • A Nest for Celeste: A Story About Art, Inspiration, and the Meaning of Home
  • Icefall
  • The Magic Thief (Magic Thief, #1)
  • Upside-Down Magic (Upside-Down Magic, #1)
  • Mistakes Were Made (Timmy Failure, #1)
  • Larklight (Larklight, #1)
  • The Green Ember (The Green Ember, #1)
  • Where the Mountain Meets the Moon
  • Secrets of New Forest Academy (Janitors, #2)
  • The Van Gogh Deception
  • Rise of the Elgen (Michael Vey, #2)
Alan Gratz was born and raised in Knoxville, TN, home of the 1982 World's Fair. After a carefree but humid childhood, Alan attended the University of Tennessee, where he earned a College Scholars degree with a specialization in creative writing, and later, a Master's degree in English education.
In addition to writing plays, magazine articles, and a few episodes of A&E's City Confidential, Alan

The League of Seven (3 books)
  • The League of Seven (The League of Seven, #1)
  • The Dragon Lantern (The League of Seven, #2)

News & Interviews