Start by marking “Among the Wicked (Kate Burkholder #8)” as Want to Read:
Among the Wicked (Kate Burkholder #8)

Among the Wicked

(Kate Burkholder #8)

4.19  ·  Rating details ·  7,789 ratings  ·  1,049 reviews
Chief of Police Kate Burkholder is called upon by the sheriff's department in rural, upstate New York to assist on a developing situation that involves a reclusive Amish settlement and the death of a young girl. Unable to penetrate the wall of silence between the Amish and "English" communities, the sheriff asks Kate to travel to New York, pose as an Amish woman, and infil ...more
Published July 12th 2016 by Minotaur Books

To ask other readers questions about Among the Wicked, please sign up.
Linda Castillo Hi Misti--I'm so pleased you're enjoying the series--thank you! You pose a great question about those old bones. The book you're referring to is HER…moreHi Misti--I'm so pleased you're enjoying the series--thank you! You pose a great question about those old bones. The book you're referring to is HER LAST BREATH. And you didn't miss anything. That case remains open as a cold case. Kate was, indeed, questioned, but only because the (possible) victim had done some work for her father on their farm. She was never officially a person of interest.
SPOILER ALERT . . .

At the end of the book, the BCI lab is still trying to extract DNA from the bones and teeth. The murder weapon was a shotgun, so there are no striations, just pellets. That particular shotgun, if you'll recall, was disposed of. All of that is worrisome for Kate, of course. But at the end of the book Tomasetti pretty much assured her she would never be connected. Kate is still haunted, too. It remains a loose thread that I may (or may not) revisit down the road. I hope that answers your question. Thanks for the post!
(less)
Jess☺️ Yes you do really but I highly recommend this series from the beginning.
I hope you start from the beginning and enjoy them☺…more
Yes you do really but I highly recommend this series from the beginning.
I hope you start from the beginning and enjoy them☺️(less)

·  7,789 ratings  ·  1,049 reviews

Kaceey
Jun 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Police chief Kate Burkholder of Painter Mills, Ohio grew up Amish. She left the community years ago to live a secular "English" life. Now a young 15-year-old girl is found frozen to death near a pond in an Amish community in upstate New York. Kate is asked to infiltrate that familiar community to find if there’s more to her death than what appears.

Are people being held against their will? Allegations of child abuse? Exactly what is going on in this secretive society? Kate hopes to find the truth
Mary Beth *Traveling Sister*

Five Shiny Stars

This author has done it again! I just love this series and I just couldn't put the book down and finished it in two days. It was a powerful, intriguing, heart pounding non stop adrenaline rush. I love it when a book does that to me! I just love Kate. I just love her character.

Kate Burkholder is a tough as nails Chief of Police. She gets a call to go undercover by the sheriff's department in a rural community in New York. There is something strange going on in an Amish community
Diane S ☔
Feb 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have loved this series from the beginning, but in the last few years have been able to identify more personally. My son having moved into the heart of the Amish, in Goshen, Indiana. They have Amish neighbors on both sides of their houses, even have an Amish telephone booth on their property. Made the acquaintance of these wonderful people, have tasted their food and their delicious homemade ice cream.

In this one Chief Katie Burkholder may have gotten over her head, when she is asked to go und
Brenda
Oct 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is set in a fictional village, which in reality is located near Malone, NY, about 170 miles north of me. The story takes place in the winter. One thing you do not want to do here when the temperature is 18° F and the windchill is below zero is fall through the ice! How the Amish survive in these conditions without electricity is a wonder to me. I was chilled just reading about the outdoor adventures Kate Burkholder experiences in this book.

Kate agrees to go undercover in an Amish commu
Anne Goldschrift
Ich will Band 9!! Jetzt! Sofort! 🙈
Dieser achte Teil war soooo so so gut, ich konnte gar nicht mehr aufhören zu lesen! Spannend von der ersten bis zur letzten Seite und dass es diesmal nicht nur mit einer Amishen Gemeinde etwas zu tun hat, sondern sogar in dieser spielt fand ich super. Nach meinem Geschmack hätte es ruhig noch mehr dazu geben können.
Definitiv eines der besten Bücher der Reihe!
Liz
Nov 19, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley

With the 8th in the series, Kate goes undercover in a NY State Amish order. She’s trying to determine the real reason for a young woman freezing to death.

The premise is questionable. It didn’t quite seem plausible that a widow would uproot herself from family to find a different order. There are other parts of the story that don’t ring true. This is the first of the Burkholder series that I noticed this. Credit though, a big twist at the end I never saw coming.

Given that I read Down a Dark Roa
"Avonna
May 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: net-galley
I am never disappointed when I get my hands on a Kate Burkholder story by Linda Castillo. Among The Wicked is the eighth book and there are three novellas. It is as strong as the first in the series! Ms. Castillo’s writing style pulls me in and keeps me reading as Kate suffers the trials and tribulations of solving another crime involving the Amish. The climax had me stunned with a great plot twist!

Police Chief Kate Burkholder is asked to go on leave in Painters Mill, OH and go undercover as a p
Thomas
Sep 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 stars
This was an enjoyable, fast paced read. I finished at midnight last night, unable to stop reading. It is book 8 in the series, but worked ok for me as a stand alone. Kate Burkholder grew up in an Amish community, but left as a teenager, earned a GED, and got a part time job answering the phone at a police substation. She went to community college at night and got a 2 year degree in criminal justice. She has worked her way up to homicide detective in the Columbus PD , when she is offered t
Barbara
Jul 20, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-challenge

As this eighth book in the series opens Kate Burkholder - Chief of Police in Painters Mill, Ohio - gets a visit from two law enforcement officers from New York State. Sheriff Dan Suggs and Investigator Frank Betancourt are concerned about the suspicious death of Rachel Esh, a 15-year-old Amish girl from Roaring Springs, New York. An autopsy showed that Rachel had drugs in her system and had undergone an abortion....very unusual for an Amish girl.

Moreover there are rumors of 'bad things' going o
Jean
Sep 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my reservations about Linda Castillo’s Kate Burkholder series has been that there seem to be an inordinate number of murders occurring among the Amish in the area around the small town of Painters Mill, Ohio. In Among the Wicked, the eighth of the series, Castillo skirts that issue when Chief Burkholder agrees to go undercover in upstate New York to investigate the suspicious death of a teenage Amish girl. Local law enforcement personnel have been unable to make any headway in the case du ...more
Doug Bradshaw
This was my first Kate Burkholder story, her 8th. I breezed through it fairly quickly and I enjoyed it. There is a certain coziness to her writing, Kate's relationship to her boyfriend, her everyday comments about the world and how things work, all done in a way that draws you into her world, like a long time friend that you know and can trust.

Having grown up as Amish and as an experienced police officer, she is the prefect choice to go into an Amish village undercover, to see what is going on.
Brenda
When Chief of Police Kate Burkholder was called into a meeting in her office at the Painters Mill police station, she had no idea her life was about to change in a way she had never envisioned. The rural community of Roaring Springs had had some strange happenings in their Amish community with the latest being the death of a young fifteen year old girl under suspicious circumstances. Agent Betancourt’s idea was for Kate to go undercover as an Amish woman and infiltrate the community. Kate hadn’t ...more
DeB MaRtEnS
Linda Castillo's suspense series set in Amish country has been a favourite of mine. Among the Wicked #8, her latest novel, is compulsively readable as Chief of Police Officer Kate Burkholder goes undercover to sniff out the rotten doings in a secluded Amish community far from her home in Painters Mill.

Always, Castillo's novels retain immense respect for the faith and culture of the Amish while addressing the human frailties which either create susceptibilities or dark traits, to criminal acts.
Angela DeSilva
This was my first read by Linda Castillo and surely not my last. I was completely engrossed in this story even though it was not at all gory, it was just so interesting I needed to keep reading. I like my thrillers graphic and gory so I am amazed how the story kept my attention, it was just great writing. I started out with #8 in the series as it was a new release, but I am definitely going to go back and start from book one. I had no trouble reading this as a standalone, though.

Kate Burkholder,
JuliaOrlando
This is the 8th installment of the Kate Burkholder series.

Kate Burkholder, chief of police of Painter Mill OH, is asked to assist in a case in upstate NY in which a young Amish girl is found dead. As Kate was raised in the Painter Mill Amish community, the NY state sheriff asks her to assist in the case posing undercover as an Amish widow. As a new widow to the community, Kate will have to insinuate herself into a society that keeps itself separate from it's "English" neighbors.

This book kept me
Lesa
Linda Castillo's Kate Burkholder novels never disappoint. They're emotionally intense, sometimes disturbing stories. And, in each one, we get to know Kate a little more. The latest book, Among the Wicked, takes her into her own emotions by putting her in a role she never expected to be in again, that of an Amish woman.

For four years, Kate Burkholder has been police chief of Painters Mill, Ohio, a small community of 5,300, half of whom are Amish. She herself was from an Amish family, but she left
Julie
Aug 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Among the Wicked by Linda Castillo is a 2016 Minotaur publication.

I’ve read several of Linda Castillo’s novels back in the day, but I haven’t read any books from this series. I noticed several of my Goodreads friends reading this one a few weeks back and decided to check it out.

Now, I have yet another series I have to play catch up with, but for those who have not read the previous installments, I’m thinking you can just jump in anywhere along the way, because this one read just fine as a stan
Susan Johnson
Jul 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite things about this series is learning about the Amish culture. Police Chief Kate Burkholder was raised Amish before she left the community. In this book she is approached by New York police to go undercover in an Amish community in northern New York, 20 miles from the Canadian border. A teenager turns up dead and there is concern for the children in the group.

Kate is uniquely qualified with her knowledge of the language and culture so she accepts the assignment. The group has
Kris - My Novelesque Life
I love Linda Castillo's Kate Burkholder series and last year I binged read the series and then felt some withdrawal. I was very EXCITED to hear that a new book would be out this summer and it made my day when I received an ARC of Among the Wicked. I didn't get a chance to get my hands on the novella, Seeds of Deception (#7.5) before this book. From my past experience with the novellas they do not connect to the next book. They are separate stories.

(Kate Burkholder: #8)
Written by Linda Castillo
Jess☺️
Jul 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Among the wicked is book 8 in the Kate Burkholder series and I'm going to repeat myself once again I know but this series is absolutely great.
This book bothered me a bit more because of the cult feel to it and I hate when people think they have that much control over others but putting all that aside this book was full of oh my gosh moments, moments when you had to put it down to breath and that clinging to the edge of your seat moments to.
I recommend this book but definitely this whole series s
Robin
Nov 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, mystery
Police Chief Kate Burkholder is contacted by a member of the New York State Police. He told her that they are investigating the death of an Amish girl in upstate New York. The girl belonged to a closed Amish community. No one in the community is willing to talk to the police. The police would like Kate to go undercover as an Amish woman who moves into the community. Since Kate grew up Amish, she knows the language and the customs. She knows there will be limited communication and no transportati ...more
Hippie Chick
I finished this book July 26 and I have put off doing this review. I hate doing negative reviews, especially for an author I had previously liked. I gave Down a Dark Road 5 stars and I was looking forward to reading this book, Among the Wicked. I was horribly disappointed.
If you know Kate Burkholder, she was raised Amish but left when she turned 18. I'm not sure how old she is now but she is definitely no sweet, young thing. She is asked to go undercover as an Amish widow in an Amish community t
Wendy
May 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this 8th book in the Kate Burkholder series!!
AH
This was my first foray into the Kate Burkholder world and I am sure that I will find the time to go back and read the previous books. I have never really read any kind of books about the Amish, so that aspect really intrigued me and kept my interest. I also loved that the book took place not far from where I live in areas that I may visit, which adds a touch of realism to a book of fiction.

First off, don’t let the fact that this is book 8 in a series put you off – especially you OCD types out t
Dale Harcombe
Sep 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my first introduction to this author and to Chief of Police Kate Burkholder. Because of her earlier Amish upbringing, Kate is called upon by the sheriff’s department in rural upstate, New York to help investigate the death of a young Amish girl and the Amish community. As she goes undercover as an Amish woman it brings back so many of the ways of life Kate thought she had left behind. Her lover State Agent John Tomasetti is not thrilled that Kate will be only on limited communication an ...more
Karyn Niedert
I love Linda Castillo's writing style, and when the opportunity to read her latest bool, "Among the Wicked" arose I jumped at it.

Castillo's heroine, Chief Kate Burkholder, has been asked to go undercover in upstate New York to infiltrate a small Amish community and make sure there are no nefarious goings on. Interest in the small community has formed after a young girl was found dead, presumably frozen to death, at a nearby lake after a snowstorm. There is concern that other children in the smal
KC
Thank you NetGalley and Minotaur Books for the advanced digital copy for my honest review. This was one of my favorite Chief Kate Burkholder stories yet. Kate leaves Painters Mill, Ohio to go undercover in upstate New Year to investigate the death of a young Amish woman but what she discovers is bigger than she ever expected. Terrific story!
Cheryl
Apr 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is book eight in this series. I have yet to find a book in this series that I have been disappointed about. I really like the Amish aspect of this series. Then there is Kate. She is a strong female lead. She always bring something good to the table. I feel like I get to see another layer of just who Kate is every time that she visits the Amish community. Although this is just part of the reason why I like these books. The other reason is because the storyline is complex. In the beginning I ...more
Rachel (TheShadesofOrange)
4.0 Stars
With the undercover cop setup, this was easily one of the most fun stories in the Kate Burkholder series. It was a nice break from Painters Mill and personal relationship subplots. This book was more of a suspense or a thriller rather than a police procedural, which made for a very entertaining read.
Donna
May 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-mystery
I've read most of the books in this series. They are either 3 or 4 stars for me, and so was this one. The premise in the beginning was definitely intriguing. I thought the possibilities were endless with that story line. I wasn't disappointed there. The author ran with it. Some of this seemed highly out of the realm of plausibility, but I still enjoyed it. The pace moved at a fair clip with all the different things going on. I also like the MC. She is strong, competent, and yet flawed. It all wo ...more
Continuity question 2 23 Sep 12, 2017 05:25PM
  • Vanish in Plain Sight (The Brotherhood of the Raven #2)
  • A Plain Death (Appleseed Creek, #1)
  • Return to Grace (Home Valley, #2)
  • Hard Rain (Vin Cooper, #3)
  • Broken English (Ohio Amish Mystery, #2)
  • A Perfect Square (Shipshewana Amish Mystery #2)
  • Plain Killing (An Amish Mystery #2)
  • Fast Falls the Night (Bell Elkins, #6)
  • Every Crooked Path (The Bowers Files: The New York Years #1)
  • Through the Evil Days (Rev. Clare Fergusson & Russ Van Alstyne Mysteries, #8)
  • Over Tumbled Graves (Caroline Mabry, #1)
  • Secrets of Harmony Grove
  • NYV: Punk (New York Vampire, #1)
  • Impulse (Faces of Evil, #2)
  • Stranger in the Room (Keye Street #2)
Linda Castillo is the New York Times bestselling author of the Kate Burkholder series, including Sworn to Silence and Gone Missing, crime thrillers set in Amish country. Sworn to Silence was recently adapted into a Lifetime original movie titled An Amish Murder starring Neve Campbell as Kate Burkholder.

Castillo is the recipient of numerous industry awards, including the Daphne du Maurier Award of

Kate Burkholder (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Sworn to Silence (Kate Burkholder, #1)
  • Pray for Silence (Kate Burkholder, #2)
  • Breaking Silence (Kate Burkholder, #3)
  • Gone Missing (Kate Burkholder, #4)
  • Her Last Breath (Kate Burkholder, #5)
  • The Dead Will Tell (Kate Burkholder, #6)
  • After the Storm (Kate Burkholder, #7)
  • Down a Dark Road (Kate Burkholder, #9)
  • A Gathering of Secrets (Kate Burkholder, #10)
  • Shamed (Kate Burkholder, #11)
“We are only blessed with what God gives us.” 0 likes
“No single group of people can be lumped together and neatly categorized.” 0 likes