Start by marking “Belgravia” as Want to Read:
Belgravia

Read Book* *Different edition

Belgravia (Belgravia #1-11)

3.71  ·  Rating details ·  13,896 Ratings  ·  2,120 Reviews
Julian Fellowes's Belgravia is the story of a secret. A secret that unravels behind the porticoed doors of London's grandest postcode.

Set in the 1840s when the upper echelons of society began to rub shoulders with the emerging industrial nouveau riche, Belgravia is peopled by a rich cast of characters. But the story begins on the eve of the Battle of Waterloo in 1815.

At
Published July 5th 2016 by Grand Central Publishing (first published June 30th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Belgravia, please sign up.
Yazir Paredes Yes, the Kindle price today (7/8/2016) $14.99

Jul 06, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016
I can't help feeling like Julian Fellowes targets his stories to exactly what the Downton crowd wants. Don't get me wrong, I was as addicted to Downton as anyone. But I expect different things from my TV viewing than I do from my reading. Fellowes delivers all the elements - class conflict, romance, secrets, lot's of details about life in 1800's that I'm sure fans will adore....but he also spoon feeds the reader every thought and emotion each character is having. Nothing is left to doubt. If a c ...more
Trish
Jun 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Fellowes is a unique talent able to actually inhabit a world long past. Perhaps the motivations and language of people are not much changed from one or two hundred years ago, but habits have certainly changed. Fellowes navigates that earlier world of societal mores and constraints so beautifully, I would have loved to see him in action then.

In his new serialized novel called Belgravia, the illegitimate son of an unmarried daughter is arranged to grow up under the tutelage of a pastor. The boy gr
Diane
Dec 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
This review is going to be an unabashed celebration of Juliet Stevenson, the marvelous narrator of the Belgravia audiobook. I confess I downloaded this book not because it was written by the creator of the popular TV show "Downton Abbey," but because it was read by Juliet.

I have become such a fan of audiobooks that in the past few years I have listened to more than 150 of them, and Juliet Stevenson is one of the very best performers working today. (She's also a great actress and I've loved her
Wilma
Feb 20, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Ik ben een groot liefhebber van de serie Downton Abbey...
Het leven in het 19e eeuwse Engeland, het leven in de verschillende klassen, de intriges...ik hou ervan!!
Belgravia is echter simpel geschreven en de intriges zijn erg voorspelbaar...jammer...
Geo Marcovici
Apr 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Translation widget on The blog!!!
O carte surprinzătoare! O poveste cu mult suspans, intrigi si comploturi. Un historical, 1841... O poveste plină de adrenalina ce îmbina realitatea cu ficțiunea.
Recenzia mea completa o găsiți aici:
James
Jul 26, 2016 rated it did not like it
With 'Belgravia,' Julian Fellowes establishes why he should stick to tv. A strong premise, tightly sewn ending, utterly painful boredom in between. Read only if you lost your 'Downton' bluray.
☮Karen
In person book club read #11 (Dec 2017) because we're all Downton Abbey fans.

Oh, how I miss Downton Abbey. The reruns just don't cut it for me; I want to be given some new episodes to watch. However, this book, by the same author, surpassed filling many of my Downton cravings. Not as fully developed in the 400+ pages offered, but I still loved it -- sort of like settling for a chocolate ice cream sundae when you really wanted hot fudge.

There are similarities to Downton found here, but missing, a
Maria Espadinha
Oct 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Um Aroma Austico

Quem, num dos seus múltiplos "scrolls" na GR Home, deu de caras com este título, estará possivelmente a interrogar-se se a palavra 'austico' não carece dum 'c' no início!?
Bem...muito sinceramente não! Não se trata duma gralha calina -- não é "caustico", "rústico", "austríaco", ou qualquer outro vocábulo de sonoridade próxima -- é factualmente "austico" que pretendo escrever e significar!...

Significar?!... Significar o quê? -- é pertinente perguntar!

'Austico' não será provavelment
Amanda - Mrs B's Book Reviews
The absence of Downton Abbey on our screens, a favourite series of mine, influenced the purchase of the book, Belgravia by Julian Fellowes. Fellowes is the creator of Downton Abbey and has written two previous novels in the past. Belgravia is set in one of Britain’s most exclusive postcodes of the era. The stunning estate on the front cover caught my eye too. Belgravia is a historical fiction novel that begins around the time of the Battle of Waterloo in 1815. I was certain I was going to love t ...more
Maria Thomarey
Nov 08, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
0,5 με το ζόρι ... κριμα τα λεφτα . Αυτο
Nikoleta
Mar 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
Με το βιβλίο Μπελγκρέιβια ανέπτυξα κυκλοθυμικά αισθήματα. Στην αρχή της ανάγνωσης ήμουν σχετικά απογοητευμένη, καθώς η έναρξη μου άρεσε πολύ λιγότερο από όσο περίμενα, ενώ από την μέση και έπειτα οι προσδοκίες μου καλύφτηκαν και με το παραπάνω.
Τα αφηγητικά χαρακτηριστικά θα τα ανέλυα ως εξής, η αφηγηματική ανάλυση του Fellowes (το στήσιμο του σκηνικού του κ.α.) μου θύμισε κάτι από την διεισδυτική ματιά και τις σοφές παρατηρήσεις του Henry James, π.χ.
«Η Σοφία βρισκόταν σε μία φάση της ζωής της π
Debra
Jul 04, 2016 rated it it was ok
This story might not be a bad television program...but as a novel, just meh. Readers expecting another Downton Abbey will be seriously disappointed.
Maria Espadinha
Oct 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
An Austen Scent

Why did I chose such a title to review Belgravia?! A book that was written 2 centuries after our precious Jane?!
Is that your question?!...

If you are really curious about it, here's what you should do:
Close your eyes, open the book randomly, and get your nose as near as possible...

Now you got it!... ;)

Footnote: I must apologize for this, hmmmm, bit crazy review. But sometimes a lil change of style is mandatory to flee from reiterations overwhelming boredom ;)
Anna
Julian Fellowes' "Downton Abbey" is one of my favorite television shows, so I was extremely excited to read this novel. And for the most part, I wasn't disappointed. It's very Downton-esque in feel and subject matter, and there are plenty of plot twists and turns.

I loved the setting and the characters of Maria Grey and Caroline Brockenhurst. I enjoyed the pacing of the book as well. I didn't particularly care for anyone in the Trenchard or Bellasis families (the Brockenhursts are my jam), but th
Eirini Proikaki
(ισως και 3.5*)
Είδα την διαφήμιση στην τηλεόραση και το ομολογώ:Είμαι θύμα του μάρκετινγκ!Δεν μπόρεσα να αντισταθώ στον δημιουργό του Downton Abbey,μια απο τις πιο αγαπημένες μου σειρές ever,ούτε και στο πολύ όμορφο μπλέ εξώφυλλο(άραγε υπάρχουν κι άλλοι που μόλις δουν μπλε εξώφυλλο νιώθουν μια έλξη ή μόνο εγώ το έχω αυτό το βίτσιο;).
Το ξεκίνησα άμεσα λοιπόν και δεν με απογοήτευσε,το διάβασα πολύ ευχάριστα, αν και ούτε με ενθουσίασε.Είναι μια σαπουνόπερα εποχής με τις ίντριγκες,τα μυστικά,τα πάθη
Liz
Jul 12, 2016 rated it really liked it

With Belgravia, Julian Fellowes has written a comedy of manners set in the first half of the 19th century. The same attention to detail that was displayed on Downton Abbey is here on the page. And while about an earlier time period, Fellowes is still studying the social castes of English society. Like with DA, one sees both the upstairs and downstairs takes on life. But unlike the Crawley household, there is not the love between the servants and their employers. To quote Lady Brockenhurst “The s
Christina (Confessions of a Book Addict)

I've really been enjoying Belgravia and one of my favorite aspects of the novel is the fact that it's serialized or it can be read in "episodes." This makes the cliffhangers even more exciting. I know in the past this was a popular technique used by Charles Dickens and many others. I can see why it's so compelling when presented this way.

I also really enjoyed Fellowes' use of dramatic irony in Belgravia. We, the readers, are aware of who exactly Charles Pope is, but many of the characters are st
Giò
Jul 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
Lettura diagonalissima da sala d'attesa in pronto soccorso.
Tempo di cottura (la mia): 7 ore e tre quarti.
Fellowes è meglio come sceneggiatore.
Isabela
Feb 10, 2017 rated it it was ok
2 stars

Mehhhh, this was OK. When I first saw this in the bookstore I was so excited to read it - recently I've been in this historical fiction mood, and this had a gorgeous cover and promising great secrets and scandals in 1840s London. Yeah, that sounds awesome! But, unfortunately, it didn't work very well.

The story was not terrible, but the only time I was really interested was the first and last few chapters - the 300 pages in between were SO BORING. I also didn't specially like any of the
Morana Mazor
Jul 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Prije no što krenem s pisanjem mojih impresija ove knjige, samo ću kratko objasniti dva pojma koji, možda, nekim i nisu baš jasni, a prilično su važni u osvrtu koji slijedi.
Prvi je pojam sam naslov knjige, „Belgravia“; dakle, ako niste znali, Belgravia je jedan vrlo fensi kvart u Londonu. Nastao je sredinom 19.st., upravo u vrijeme radnje ovog romana, a i dan danas se smatra jednim od najskupljih kvartova na svijetu.
            Drugi pojam koji nam je ovdje važan je „nouveau riche“ što doslovno
Caz
I've given this an A+ for narration and a B+ for content at AudioGals. Technically, I think that's a little over 4.5 stars, so I'm rounding up.

I’m sure that most people will be familiar with the name of the writer of Gosford Park and the creator of the hugely successful Downton Abbey. In his latest novel, Julian Fellowes continues to explore England’s past and to look particularly at the class system and the way in which convention and reputation so dominated British society in the 19th century.
Chrissa Vasileiou
Ένα πραγματικά εξαιρετικό,από κάθε άποψη,βιβλίο! Μια ιστορία που μπορεί να μην διεκδικεί το Α' βραβείο πρωτοτυπίας,αλλά που είναι τόσο καλογραμμένη και τόσο συναρπαστική,που το ταξίδι ως τον τελικό προορισμό σε αποζημιώνει πέρα ως πέρα!
Ένα γοητευτικό γαϊτανάκι αντιθέσεων,μια ρεαλιστική απεικόνιση της εποχής,των ανθρώπων,των κοινωνικών τάξεων,των εθίμων,της καθημερινότητας. Χωρίς περιττά στολίδια,αλλά με εξαιρετική χρήση του λεξιλογίου για να περιγραφεί η απλότητα και η πολυτέλεια.

Αξίζουν επίσης
Julie  Durnell
Jul 14, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: england-uk
I started out liking this book, but it became very tedious and drawn out, without the attention to detail that I loved about Downton Abbey.
Lauren Stoolfire
Sep 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Julian Fellowe's Belgravia is an excellent novel to try if you're still experiencing withdrawal from Downton Abbey. He creates an interesting new world primarily set in 1841 and featuring the connection between an aristocratic family and a noveau riche family living in the wealthiest district of London, Belgravia. Although the novel is just over 400 pages, it's easy to speed through it, and the eleven episodes that it is comprised of help spread you along as well. I can only say that I wish it f ...more
booklady
Early Victorian slice-of-life flashbacks 25 years to the days just before the Battle of Waterloo, with particular emphasis on the events at a ball on the night before that famous battle.

Back to 1840 London; what has happened in the intervening years gradually unfolds. Who knows what, when, how and from whom is what keeps the reader ever on his/her toes. If people who live under the same roof wouldn’t insist on keeping secrets from each other—for all the wrong reasons—they’d get along ever so mu
Πάνος Τουρλής
Μπελγκρέιβια είναι η ακριβότερη συνοικία του Λονδίνου, ακόμη και σήμερα. Τον 19ο αιώνα συνυπήρχε η αριστοκρατία με τους ανερχόμενους αστούς. Ένα μυστικό έρχεται να τινάξει στον αέρα κάθε ευπρεπισμό, είκοσι πέντε χρόνια μετά τον μεγάλο χορό που είχε δώσει η Δούκισσα του Ρίτσμοντ το 1815, μία μέρα πριν την ήττα του Ναπολέοντα στο Βατερλώ και τον φόβο της Ευρώπης απέναντι στον αυτοκράτορα που απέκτησε ξανά εξουσία, έστω και για «εκατό ημέρες». Τι συνέβη λοιπόν εκείνο το βράδυ και πώς θα επηρεάσουν ...more
Jennifer (Sad Books Say So Much)
Elena T.
Dec 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Belgravia è il nome di uno dei più famosi quartieri di Londra – nonché nuovo romanzo di Julian Fellowes, un period drama dallo stile impeccabile e dall’ innata eleganza nell’affrontare in prosa le tensioni tra le nuove famiglie britanniche benestanti e la vecchia aristocrazia dell’ Inghilterra vittoriana.

Una conoscenza rivelatrice, giacché mi riprometto da diverso tempo di affrontare i suoi altri lavori letterari (“Snob” e “Downton Abbey”), impregnata qui della storia dei Trenchard e dei Brocken
Lynn
Apr 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars, rounded up. If you enjoyed watching Downton Abbey, you will enjoy reading this book, as they were both written by the same man. Belgravia has all the atmosphere, drama and unforgettable characters as Downton Abbey. There are aristocratic families, up and coming families, poor yet noble workers and conniving servants. There are people with good and pure hearts and some with evil in their souls. Once you start reading, you can't put it down. It may not be the best written book, but for ...more
Ophelinha
Aug 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Period gossip at its finest: war, fake - or not so fake - weddings, illegitimate children, affairs, failed marriages, ambition, thirst for power are among its ingredients. Shake, add ice, stir, enjoy.
  • Radio Girls
  • Grace Hammer : a Novel of the Victorian Underworld
  • Miss Jane
  • Queen Victoria's Gene Haemophilia and the Royal Family
  • The Lover's Path: An Illustrated Novella of Venice
  • Three Sisters, Three Queens (The Plantagenet and Tudor Novels, #8)
  • Mist of Midnight (Daughters of Hampshire, #1)
  • Mata Hari's Last Dance
  • The Mistresses of Cliveden: Three Centuries of Scandal, Power and Intrigue in an English Stately Home
  • Girl in the Afternoon: A Novel of Paris
  • The Other Einstein
  • Land of the Afternoon Sun
  • The Black Madonna (Roundheads and Cavaliers, #1)
Julian Alexander Kitchener-Fellowes (Baron Fellowes of West Stafford), DL. English actor, novelist, screenwriter, and director.

Fellowes is the youngest son of Peregrine Fellowes (a diplomat and Arabist who campaigned to have Haile Selassie restored to his throne during World War II). Julian inherited the title of Lord of the Manor of Tattershall from his father, making him the fourth Fellowes to h
More about Julian Fellowes

Belgravia (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Dancing into Battle (Belgravia #1)
  • A Chance Encounter (Belgravia #2)
  • Family Ties (Belgravia #3)
  • At Home in Belgrave Square (Belgravia #4)
  • The Assignation (Belgravia #5)
  • A Spy in our Midst (Belgravia #6)
  • A Man of Business (Belgravia #7)
  • An Income for Life (Belgravia #8)
  • The Past is a Foreign Country (Belgravia #9)
  • The Past Comes Back (Belgravia #10)

Fiction Deals

• Searching for Grace Kelly
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Bricking It
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Elephant Keeper's Daughter
  • The Virtues of Oxygen
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Home to Harmony (Harmony #1)
    $11.14 $1.99
  • Dog Crazy
  • The Towers of Tuscany
  • The Noticer: Sometimes, all a person needs is a little perspective
  • Who We Were Before
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Reluctant Midwife (Hope River, #2)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Sin No More (Reverend Curtis Black)
    $10.39 $1.99
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fat Chance
  • Just a Couple of Days
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Boleyn Inheritance (The Tudor Court, #3)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • A Scattered Life
  • Every Ugly Word
  • A Memory of Violets: A Novel of London's Flower Sellers
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Desert God (Ancient Egypt, #5)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Woman Who Breathed Two Worlds (Malayan #1)
  • An Amish Buggy Ride
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Secret Healer (The Secret Healer #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Elizabeth Street
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Gates of Rome (Emperor, #1)
  • The Unkillable Kitty O'Kane
  • It Is Well
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Sinful Calling (Reverend Curtis Black #13)
  • On a Cold Dark Sea
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Lady Viper (Tales from the Tudor Court #1)
  • Kings of Broken Things
  • Edward Adrift
  • The Restaurant Critic's Wife
“it is better to be gullible than suspicious.” 4 likes
“I would fight dragons, I would walk over flaming coals, I would enter the Valley of the Dead, if I thought I might have a chance of your heart.” 3 likes