Start by marking “Sputnik Sweetheart” as Want to Read:
Sputnik Sweetheart

Sputnik Sweetheart

3.83  ·  Rating details ·  99,062 ratings  ·  5,744 reviews
reprint cover for ISBN 9780375726057

Haruki Murakami, the internationally bestselling author of Norwegian Wood and The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, plunges us into an urbane Japan of jazz bars, coffee shops, Jack Kerouac, and the Beatles to tell this story of a tangled triangle of uniquely unrequited loves.

A college student, identified only as “K,” falls in love with his
Published December 2015 by Vintage International (first published April 20th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Sputnik Sweetheart, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Magaly Sáenz
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Nikolaos Kantanas It's worth reading. It really doesn't get very interesting until the last third of the book. The the wordplay of Murakami and the ideas he expresses…moreIt's worth reading. It really doesn't get very interesting until the last third of the book. The the wordplay of Murakami and the ideas he expresses make the book worth reading through to the end. Also there is an interesting ending.(less)

·  99,062 ratings  ·  5,744 reviews

Start your review of Sputnik Sweetheart
Dasha H
Aug 01, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Murakami virgins
Shelves: 2009

Don't get me wrong, I don't think this is, by any chance, a bad book. My low rating can be easily explained by the fact that I've already read too much Murakami.

I used to like him quite a lot, but come on, doesn't he get tired of writing the same book over and over again? Let me show you the pattern. A simple guy who likes to 1.cook 2.listen to music/read books 3. think about the meaning of life meets an ordinary girl who turns out to be totally extraordinary, which gets her into trouble soon

Scarlet
"Reality was one step out of line, a cardigan with the buttons done up wrong."

I have come to realise that reading a Murakami book is not quite an act of reading itself but an act of dreaming with your eyes open. What you see is a series of surreal images barely held together by threads of reason. What matters however, is the feeling these images leave you with; an aftertaste that lingers and intensifies even as the world within these pages turns stranger and more disconcerting; until what you
Kenny
“I dream. Sometimes I think that's the only right thing to do.”
Sputnik Sweetheart ~~ Haruki Murakami

As I've stated previously, my friend, Srdjan, is obsessed with Murakami. Srdjan is so passionate about Murakami's writing, that it is infectious. We've had many discussions about Murakami, and he kept prodding me to read one of Murakami's novels. He suggested Sputnik Sweetheart, or as I call it, Lust & Longing in Japan . So, I took up his challenge, & plunged into this, strange, magical,
Jim Fonseca
Mar 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: japanese-authors
My sixth Murakami.

About three-fourths of the way through the book the magical realism kicks in. We have a woman who has an experience where she sees herself “on the other side.” There is also a disappearing woman in a situation where it is impossible for her to disappear; a tiny Greek island -- no well to fall into; a tiny town only accessible by ferry; a drowned body would wash up.

description

The story is told from the points of view of two young people: a male teacher and a female would-be author. He
Kevin Kelsey
This is my first time reading a Murakami novel. It was very good, and very weird. Either large sections are entirely metaphorical, or we've got some heavy unreliable narrator action going on. Honestly, either way or any combination of the 2 is totally fine with me; this book was beautifully written.

It was eerily similar to Christopher Priest's The Affirmation in themes and quite a few plot points. I can't help but think that Murakami is a fan of his.
Luís C.
In Sputnik Sweetheart, the author's Western obsessions are very visible. The book tells the story of a love triangle: an aspiring avant-garde writer, Sumire, falls in love with a mysterious and very rich woman, Miu, who has a wine import business and studied classical piano in France. The narrator is a primary teacher who, in turn, silently loves Sumire. In the background, the three characters function as satellites in different orbits, which can sometimes meet at one point. Which brings us to ...more
Vessey
Jan 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-stars, mystery, romance
SPOILERS

She said: I really wanted to see you. When I couldn’t see you any more, I realized that. It was as clear as if the planets all of a sudden lined up in a row for me. I really need you. You’re a part of me; I’m a part of you.

He thought: We’re both looking at the same moon, in the same world. We’re connected to reality by the same line. All I have to do is quietly draw it towards me.

I might be doing a disservice to Haruki Murakami with my attitude, but the desperate romantic in me, romantic
Seth T.
May 26, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who enjoys Murakami's special brand of genius.
After the excellent Kafka on the Shore and the perhaps much better Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, I've been on something of a Murakami kick. I find his storytelling fascinating, both in device and in style. His use of the extraordinary-as-mundane is a tasty joy for me to indulge. Sputnik Sweetheart, while not as wonderful an experience as the two aforementioned works, was quite a bit of quick fun.

Thematically not dissimilar from Wind-up Bird, this short novel revels in questions of identity, conscious
Kelly Wondracek
Why does Haruki Murakami hit the spot so well for me, and for thousands of other readers worldwide? There's a common element in all his works; it's a bridge of fantasy and reality that has just the right delicate balance. There's something about that balance that's so mesmerizing. You can connect with it on a level that you can’t in pure fantasy, and there’s enough of a disconnect from solid reality to leave you in wonder. Of all the other writers that have been categorized as magical realism ...more
Mohammed-Makram
Jan 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: literature

ده اللي انكتب مفروط يا عنقود العنب

كصناعة النبيذ تدور الأحداث في بطء و أناة خلال الصفحات المائة الأولى ثم تبدأ في الركض السريع متلاحق الأنفاس حتى النهاية.

العبقري الغريب موراكامي لا يكف عن ابهارنا ببساطته الأسطورية و لغته الساحرة و أفكاره الغريبة الجريئة و إباحيته الوقورة :)
كنت لا أزال هنا أنا الأخرى. ربما نصفي ذهب إلى الجانب الأخر آخذا معه شعري الأسود و رغبتي الجنسية و عادتي الشهرية و ربما حتى الرغبة في العيش. أما الجزء الذي ترك فهو ما ترينه هنا. شعرت بأني قسمت لسبب لا أستطيع تفسيره إلى قسمين.
K.D. Absolutely
Feb 20, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Ranee
Recommended to K.D. by: 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die
Shelves: 1001-non-core
This is my 2nd novel by Haruki Murakami and just like Kafka in the Shore, this still amazed me. I even enjoyed this more than Kafka.

For me this is the best unrequited tragic love story I've read so far. As this is said to be the most openly emotional novel of Mr. Murakami, the prose is really haunting and the scenes are dreamy and surreal. Again, because Mr. Murakami uses a lot of metaphors and symbolisms, there can be layers of interpretations. I am not really fond of love stories (this just
B Schrodinger
Dec 14, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, japan
I sat down to read ‘Sputnik Sweetheart’ the night David Bowie died.
It was a humid,still antipodean January night where you knew sleep would not come easily. My partner, less accomodating of the heat than I am, nevertheless went to bed around 11 leaving me to late night reading. Unusually for suburbia, the only sounds were the crickets chirping their mid-summer thrum, a white noise, innocuous and soothing. It was a sombre evening and so it, and I, felt Murakami-like. Lost.

‘Sputnik Sweetheart’
Sherif Metwaly

إذا أردتَ أن تجرب إحساس الهلوسة التي تفصلك عن الواقع، وتسافر بك عبر الزمان والمكان إلى عالم خيالي، يخلو من الهم والحزن، ويمتلئ بالبهجة والسحر، أمامك وسيلتان: إما أن تتعاطي المخدرات، وإما أن تقرأ لموراكامي.

تمت
Daniel Clausen
Reading Sputnik Sweetheart is like returning home. As the saying goes, you can't step in the same river twice...you can go home, but the home isn't the same home that you left. So it is with books. You can read the same words again and again, but since you are different, the book is different too.

This time, as I read this book, I dwelled on the topic of lost things.

"I closed my eyes and tried to bring to mind as many beautiful lost things as I could. Drawing them closer, holding on to them.
Helene Jeppesen
This turned out to be quite an interesting read. For the most part, I was utterly bored when reading this book. It contains long passages of bland thoughts and descriptions, and I was starting to think that I had grown away from Haruki Murakami and his story-telling which I used to absolutely love (I have read quite a lot of his novels through the years).
However, halfway through the novel I encountered what was to become one of my favourite literary scenes (it contains a ferris wheel), and from
Darwin8u
May 24, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
“The answer is dreams. Dreaming on and on. Entering the world of dreams and never coming out. Living in dreams for the rest of time.”
― Haruki Murakami, Sputnik Sweetheart

description

A disappearing woman. Classical music. Cats. Dreams. Yup, I just finished another Murakami novel. I'm going to sleep and dream on this one tonight and write the review tomorrow. No really. I fully intend to write a real review, I'm just uncertain how I feel. Half of me wants to write a review, but the other half just wants to
Mariel
Nov 28, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Laika is my dawg
Recommended to Mariel by: Be my 3am valentine
A moment in my life that has come back to haunt me during times of communication difficulty is when I told my grandmother that I hated to repeatedly shout out what I'd said for my mostly deaf grandfather because it made what I'd said sound stupid. Her response was that it was stupid all along, or something like that.
I've decided that reading translated works and translating them again with one's mind, experiences, what have you is like doing a cover song. Jeff Buckley actually used another
Kwesi 章英狮
When I asked my friend if she had tried to read Murakami's works, and she said no and she let me borrowed her one and only copy and it was given to her by her couple friend. And I was in doubt accepting her offer, because (1) It was given to her as a birthday gift and she didn't read it yet, fresh in the box; (2) some of my friends in Goodreads always talks about Murakami and his works so I decided to look for a free copy and lastly, (3) my insecurity works when I saw the cover, look, a nude ...more
Michael Finocchiaro
I suppose you could say this book is sort of Murakami "lite" - less intense in terms of non-linear narrative and the characters are a bit more concrete and the plot easier to discern. Nonetheless, it is a wonderfully beautiful book and one of Murakami's best. A must read if you are going to give Murakami a spin.
Chris_P
Feb 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: haruki-murakami
*re-read July 2018, rating changed to 4*

I know I may sound like a broken record but Murakami is the man! Don't let the 3 stars fool you. For a Murakami book, 3 stars means it's more than just good whereas for others it means mediocre to just good. I don't know why but he is the only writer that can be repetitive as hell and still create a riveting atmosphere in each of his stories not letting you care about the cliches.

Sputnik Sweetheart takes a glimpse into the deepest aspects of human
Mutasim Billah
Feb 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: japan
“In dreams you don't need to make any distinctions between things. Not at all. Boundaries don't exist. So in dreams there are hardly ever collisions. Even if there are, they don't hurt. Reality is different. Reality bites. Reality, reality.”

A young girl who falls in love. A friend who is always there. A mysterious disappearance. And no clues left whatsoever.

Murakami's absurdist themes allow you to read a book with the eerie feeling of being a part of a dream sequence. Sputnik Sweetheart is a
Justin
Jun 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don’t always read Murakami, but when I do I prefer reading slowly and letting the writing carry me off like I’m having some kind of lucid dream I never want to wake from. Stay thirsty my friends.

What we have here, at least in the beginning of the book, is what New Order would likely describe as a bizarre love triangle. There is even a paragraph where the narrator takes the time to break down how messed up his situation is: he’s in love with a girl, but she’s in love with an older woman, the
Toby
Sep 26, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lit, translation

Sputnik Sweetheart by Haruki Murakami

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Blurb: Haruki Murakami, the internationally bestselling author of Norwegian Wood and The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, plunges us into an urbane Japan of jazz bars, coffee shops, Jack Kerouac, and The Beatles to tell this story of a tangled triangle of uniquely unrequited loves.

K falls in love with Sumire but a devotion to an untidy writerly life precludes her from any personal commitments - until she meets Miu, an older sophisticated
Pavle
Jul 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dosta sam razmišljao za vreme čitanja ove knjižice zbog čega tačno volim Murakamija toliko. I dalje ne znam tačno zašto. Ali mislim da je velikim delom zbog činjenice da je apsolutno sve podredjeno emociji. Ili neretko nedostatku iste. Gde evo recimo Mičel, koji me je zlaboga nedavno nervirao, svoj tzv magijski realizam temelji u misteriji ili u suvoj magiji koju čudno oslovljava sa „možda magija“, Murakami svoju magičnost – a gotovo uvek je ima, barem u romanu tipa A za njegov opus (B je trad ...more
Franco  Santos
3.5

Buen libro de Murakami. Creo que es una historia que desafía el absurdo de una pregunta: ¿se puede perder lo que nunca se ha tenido? Una ilusión, un anhelo a veces puede ser todo lo que se tiene. Una mirada y la esperanza de algo más es a lo que uno se aferra. Y cuando eso desaparece, la esperanza se esfuma junto con la llama que mantenía caliente al corazón. Y ya no queda nada más que frío, vacío y soledad.
Munif
Apr 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

عبقري.. عبقري.. عبقري

اقرأ هذا النص معي أكثر من مرة.

"غادرت الفراش. أزحت الستارة الشاحبة جانبًا وفتحت النافذة. أخرجت رأسي عبرها ورفعت بصري إلى السماء. بالتأكيد كان هناك قمر ترابي اللون معلق في السماء. جيد. كلانا ينظر إلى القمر نفسه في العالم عينه. كلانا مرتبط بالواقع بالخيط نفسه. كل ما عليَّ فعله سحبه بهدوء صوبي.
فتحت أصابع يدي وحدقت في راحتَيَّ بحثًا عن آثار دم. لم أجد شيئاً. لا رائحة دم. ولا بقع ولا تجلّط. لابد أن الدم، وبطريقته الصامتة الخاصة، تسرب داخلهما".

هذا الرجل عبقري، تائه بين العوالم.. بل

João Carlos
Oct 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: l2016

Ilustração de noINKling

“A resposta está nos sonhos. Em sonhar e voltar a sonhar. Penetrar no mundo dos sonhos, para de lá nunca mais sair. Passar o resto da vida a sonhar.” (Pág. 185)

O escritor japonês Haruki Murakami (n. 1949) – eterno candidato a receber o Prémio Nobel da Literatura - surge em 2016, como principal favorito numa casa de apostas com uma relação de 6/1 – publicou ”Sputnik, Meu Amor” em 2002.
”Sputnik, Meu Amor” tem três personagens principais – quase únicas neste romance:
1 -
Katarina
May 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Magijski realizam je definitivno my cup of tea.
Postoje neke sitnice koje su me podsetile na prethodno pročitano delo "Južno od granice, zapadno od sunca",Mju i Sumire su me na momente setile na Šimamoto, ali sve to je, nakon završetka romana, zanemarljivo. I kad bi se pojavio neki šablon, ne bi bilo bitno.
Ono što će mi ostati u sećanju jeste sama atmosfera koju Murakami oživljava sa svakom novom rečenicom. Ne pronalazim adekvatne reči kojima bih objasnila koliko me njegov stil opušta.
Knjigu sam,
added it
adam
Cyndi
Mar 03, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book sucked me in, I couldn't put it down..then just like with Sheep Chase, the ending was disappointing. I felt like I missed an important chapter somewhere.
Jessi
Mar 05, 2007
Ethan
Mar 06, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2006
A friendship between the narrator, a 20-something school teacher, and a romantic classmate gets interrupted when the classmate falls in love for the first time with a strange, white-haired woman who gives her a job. The classmate disappears while on a Greek island with her crush, alive in another world.
Kat Foo
Mar 06, 2007
Daigo
Mar 06, 2007
Erin
Mar 07, 2007
The ending 52 3140 Oct 13, 2019 11:54PM
Thought on the pacing of the book? 1 20 Dec 19, 2018 08:15AM
The Book Vipers: Group Fiction Read - September 2016 - Sputnik Sweetheart - SPOILERS ALLOWED 11 51 Oct 02, 2016 03:44AM
The Book Vipers: Group Fiction Read - September 2016 - Sputnik Sweetheart - NO SPOILERS 6 31 Sep 16, 2016 02:52PM
Around the Year i...: Sputnik Sweetheart, by Haruki Murakami 1 17 Aug 18, 2016 11:37AM
Book Lair: Sputnik, Sweetheart 26 32 Feb 01, 2016 10:33AM

• Amrita
  • N.P
  • Almost Transparent Blue
  • Confessions of a Mask
Murakami Haruki (Japanese: 村上 春樹) is a popular contemporary Japanese writer and translator. His work has been described as 'easily accessible, yet profoundly complex'. He can be located on Facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/harukimuraka...

Since childhood, Murakami has been heavily influenced by Western culture, particularly Western music and literature. He grew up reading a range of works by
“Why do people have to be this lonely? What's the point of it all? Millions of people in this world, all of them yearning, looking to others to satisfy them, yet isolating themselves. Why? Was the earth put here just to nourish human loneliness?” 5313 likes
“I dream. Sometimes I think that's the only right thing to do.” 3807 likes