Start by marking “Foxheart (Foxheart, #1)” as Want to Read:
Foxheart (Foxheart, #1)

Foxheart

(Foxheart #1)

Orphan. Thief. Witch.

Twelve-year-old Quicksilver dreams of becoming the greatest thief in the Star Lands. With her faithful dog and partner-in-crime Fox, she’s well on her way—even if that constantly lands them both in trouble. It’s a lonesome life, sleeping on rooftops and stealing food for dinner, but Quicksilver doesn’t mind. When you’re alone, no one can hurt you. Or a
Published October 4th 2016 by Greenwillow Books

To ask other readers questions about Foxheart, please sign up.
Carina Olsen This book is pretty heartbreaking, and not childish at all :) The girl is young, yes, but the book is very well written. I often read MG books that ar…moreThis book is pretty heartbreaking, and not childish at all :) The girl is young, yes, but the book is very well written. I often read MG books that are more mature than YA books :)(less)
Rachael Depends on the year. Last year, I read 52. Last year was a record low.

Start your review of Foxheart (Foxheart, #1)
Allie
Nov 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
Why do I read middle grade books? They're quick reads and they cut to the core of the story without including any smut.*

This was pretty cute. That's not the word I was trying to think of, but for right now - I'm going with it. (Dinner won't make itself, and I'm in a rush.) The main girl was well balanced; she wasn't a pushover yet she wasn't a pig-headed prat. She had her fears yet she was confident. She had heart. I loved the whole animal connection. I wish I had a talking fox!

As an adult I to
Carina Olsen
Feb 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Eee! I'm so happy about having gotten to read this book, finally. Feels like I have waited so long for it, lol. I simply adore Claire Legrand. And I have loved all of her books so far. She is the very best. So kind and awesome. Plus her writing is just the best. I knew I would love Foxheart. And I'm so happy to say that I did.

This is the story of twelve year old Quicksilver. And gosh, I so loved this girl. She's fierce and brave and awesome. A bit mean at times, but I didn't mind that much. She'
Katie
Big spoiler. (view spoiler)

This is based off a story Legrand wrote for The Cabinet of Curiosities: 36 Tales Brief, so I was kind of spoiled for the first part of it! And I don't know. I am tired. Maybe Legrand is a one book author for me. (Some Kind of Happiness <333333)
Sarah Swann
Apr 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really loved this! It was fast-paced, the world and the magic system were creative, there was awesome character development. I adored the concept of each witch having a monster that they are tied to. I loved the way it was presented and I could just feel the bond between them. Loved this so much!
Madeline (The Bookish Mutant)
Real rating: 2.4 stars
I expected a little more from this book because I read The Year of Shadows a few years back and liked it. The story itself was good, and I liked the ending, but the characters bothered me. Here are my thoughts:
Quicksilver: Too stubborn, too cocky, a little entitled, disrespectful...I could go on.
Sly Boots: Meh. Quicksilver treated him badly! :-(
Anastazia: URGH.
Fox: Meh. Okay comic relief.
Olli/coven: *shrugs* okay
The Rompus: GIMME A BREAK. WORLD’S MOST PATHETIC, STUPID, AND
Alina White
Oct 09, 2016 added it
Shelves: 2016
The characters are all kind of horrible, including the dog.
Kris - My Novelesque Life
DNF @32%
2016; Greenwillow Books/HarperCollins

I love this gorgeous cover. Did I request this book solely on the cover? Why, yes, I did. I tried to actually read the story, and it is not as gorgeous as the cover. I had to DNF this one.

***I received a complimentary copy of this ebook from the publisher through Edelweiss. Opinions expressed in this review are entirely my own.***
Travis
Jun 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Claire Legrand is an author I discovered last year. She is an author I started to read this year. She is also fast becoming one of my favorite authors of all time. Each of her stories are so well crafted and written with so much heart. Foxheart keeps this trend going but definitely on the lighter note of things.

Foxheart is so much fun and witty and just gave me everything I needed. I have been struggling with reading lately, however Foxheart brought the reading bug back out because I couldn't pu
Laura Noakes
Jan 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: middle-grade
Witchy + magical + strange. Beautiful book. Claire’s prose throughout this book is, as it is in every book she writes, gorgeous. The concept and world-building is fantastically done, and I absolutely loved the time-travelling aspect. Quicksilver was such a great heroine–spikey and courageous and sassy. This is a great MG fantasy read–I thoroughly recommend it!
Barb
Mar 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Cute
Yours Truly
May 29, 2020 rated it did not like it
I'll preface this by saying I read this only because it was selected by one of the members of the wee book club in which I participate. I usually phrase this as saying, "I read this for the book club," or, "I read this with the book club," but this one drove me to rephrase with, "I read this because of the book club."

I tried.  I really did.  But the synopsis doesn't entirely prepare you for the "heroine" of this novel, who I can most succinctly describe as thoroughly unlikable.  In fact, everyon
Eva
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, found-family
Legrand has a positive genius for writing 'unlikable' female characters without them tipping over into genuinely unlikable (like most YA protagonists) or simply My Immortal caricatures.
This could easily be just another run-of-the-mill fantasy adventure except for the two or three genuinely unexpected twists and Legrand's deft handling of 'the chosen one' trope.
Because, just as she so thoughtfully states via Anastazia,

“Sometimes,' Anastazia said, 'it isn't about being the most powerful person o
A Canadian Girl
Aug 08, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2-stars, greenwillow, 2016
Kami
Nov 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Foxheart is very cute. There are sad parts and funny parts. Fox is the cutest! What bothers me is Quicksilver's attitude. Expecially towards Sly Boots. She never apologies for what mean things she says to him but she hates him when he says anything mean about her. I get why he did what he did but I wish there was a better explanation. I found Anastazia quite annoying as well. She is the adult (but how old is Quicksilver?) but she didn't act like one. I love the ending. Ah so cute! There are some ...more
Melody Riggs
Feb 02, 2019 rated it liked it
My daughter (who is now almost 11) stumbled across this book while browsing the shelves at our local library. She took it home, devoured it, declared it a favorite, and has reread a few times since (and we now own a copy). She even dressed as Quicksilver for Halloween one year.

I wanted to like it more, but I just couldn’t. Overall, it was a good story, but the pace felt uneven to me and I still felt like I wanted a little more to the story at the end. Like we never find out what happened to her
Krista Lackey
Jan 29, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fantasy, boring, soyamrg
If this was the only book I brought with me on a desert island I would be disappointed. I'm not really sure what people love about it. It's terribly boring and the characters have very little development. Lots of descriptive writing and overall nothing exciting or special. The beginning is difficult to get through and very boring an shows no love for the protagonist, I could've cared less if she died. The characters were nothing special.
Sonja P.
Jun 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-favorites
Such a good middle grade novel with memorable characters and learning that people aren't perfect and prickly people need people too. I just love Legrand's writing.
Amanda
Feb 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
I listened to the audiobook and the voice actor was amazing. She really gave the characters life that I might not have read into them otherwise.

Quicksilver really annoyed me at first...but give her a chance! There is character development. (Seriously. If I hadn’t read another reviews telling me to give her a chance I may have quit early on.)

There is one thing that bugged me near the end. They go off to save the world with no plan! How could they not discuss options before starting their final j
Hayley Chewins
Nov 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED THIS BOOK SO MUCH. MY HEART. MY HEART!

Okay. I'll try to be a little more coherent.

Quicksilver, the greatest thief in the Star Lands, completely stole my heart. The characters in this book sing with scars and dreams and fears -- even the terrible villain. The twisty plot kept me guessing constantly, and the setting was so alive with starlight and stone. The ending killed me. (In the best way.) What more could you want from a book? Okay, how about: time travel, creepy unicorns, colourful
Dyah
Actually 3.5 stars.

First of all, I love the cover design. I love the inside illustrations (they are so adorable).

It takes me quite a long time to finish this book. Even though this is an adventure story, I feel kinda bored reading it. The main character, Quix, isn't exactly a lovable girl. I find it hard to care about her and her quest to save the land. But I must admit the story itself is thought-provoking; its messages deep. This is a middlegrade book, but the issues raised aren't light: death
Chelsey
Aug 25, 2018 rated it it was ok
I've loved a few of LeGrand's other books, but this one felt bloated, flat, and heavily cribbed. Disappointing for an author I normally look forward to.
Rain Misoa
May 12, 2017 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: To those curious enough.
Recommended to Rain by: Library
An adventure story that just wasn't for me.

To read my full review, click here.
Emilia
Mar 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to be by my 11 year old. she loved it and read it twice. she thought I would like it and was right. It was a bit darker than I expected but quite good.
Payal
Nov 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
I don't read a lot of middle grades/children's books because the pace/the details/the world building is usually a lot less compared to adult books. For a 400+ page book there was surprisingly less substance in the book. A lot happened in a chapter or two and then it became very sluggish. All in all, it was a good concept but lacked a lot of strong characters. (view spoiler) ...more
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Legrand, Claire. Foxheart. 469 pages. Harper Collins, 2016. $16.99. Language: G, Violence: PG, Sexual Content: G.
When the girl was three-years-old, she was left on the doorstep of a convent. She wouldn’t tell them her name, so the nuns called her “Girl” and some of the other girls called her “Pig” or “Witch”, or all three: “Pigwitch Girl.” When the girl was twelve-years-old, she saw wolves attack a nun and she heard screams of the other girls. She thought he was the Wolf King, but that couldn’t
Aurora
Mar 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This. Is. Amazing. I have read so many books, and it's in my top 10. Ha, top five. It is really well-worded, and the world, Starland, is just so fun to imagine up. The best song to listen to this is Cosmic Love by Florence + the Machine. My favorite character? Fox. He is so... I can't find words for him. Awesome. Talented? Does talented count?

If you haven't read this book, you. Must. Read. It. Now!
Mel (Daily Prophecy)
That was okay. I loved the writing, but the story lacked of something.

Quicksilver grew up in a hard environment. She was left by her parents at a nunnery and she always refused to give them her name. Soon people started to give her their own nicknames, like Pig face. She soon decided to become a thief; the best one in Star Lands. When she meets Sly Boots, she comes up with her name Quicksilver. Sly Boots is taking care of his cursed parents and he is soon swept away on an adventure in the futur
Eden Grey
Aug 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: middle_grade
A fantastically clever and magical adventure, complete with incredible feats of bravery, heart-warming characters, and strange beasts. FOXHEART tells the tale of Quicksilver, an orphan who is determined to become the greatest thief in all the Starlands. Little does the girl know that she is destined to become the greatest witch in all of history.

Quicksilver's adventure begins with her escaping the convent's orphanage after it is attacked by a mystical creature, the likes of which she has never
Kara
I'm DNFing Foxheart at 53% which is more than halfway through. I had absolutely zero attachment to these characters whatsoever. The writing is okay, but it also stays on the surface and reads incredibly flat.

Other thing to note that may have contributed to my dislike of this book: Time travel. You can't tell from the blurb that this book is a time travel story, and yet it is. Time travel stories rarely work for me because I have a tough time believing what the author is selling me. That was the
Brekke
Jul 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
5 Stars.
I read this out loud to my boys. They were enraptured and I enjoyed it very much. This is more than just a story of a witch and her monster, of their adventures, and of defeating a great evil. This is a story of growing as a person, of recognizing that although life is hard and full of hurts it is very much worth living. It is a story of friendship, of betrayal, of hurt and if healing. From 8 years old to 32 years old, this was a hit in our house!
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• A Most Magical Girl
  • City Spies
  • Monstrous (Monstrous, #1)
  • A Path Begins (The Thickety, #1)
  • A Royal Guide to Monster Slaying
  • The Princess who Flew with Dragons (Tales from the Chocolate Heart, #3)
  • Longbow Girl
  • Watch Hollow
  • The Problim Children
  • The Map of Stars (York #3)
  • The Riverman (The Riverman Trilogy, #1)
  • The Vanishing Island (The Chronicles of the Black Tulip #1)
  • Jesus Today: Experience Hope Through His Presence
  • The Storm Keeper's Island (Storm Keeper, #1)
  • The Crooked Sixpence (The Uncommoners #1)
  • Women Warriors: An Unexpected History
  • Shadow of the Batgirl
  • The Land of Neverendings
Claire Legrand used to be a musician until she realized she couldn’t stop thinking about the stories in her head. Now she is a librarian and New York Times bestselling author living in central New Jersey.

Her first novel is THE CAVENDISH HOME FOR BOYS AND GIRLS, one of the New York Public Library’s 100 Titles for Reading and Sharing in 2012. She is also the author of THE YEAR OF SHADOWS, a ghost st

Foxheart (2 books)
  • Thornlight (Foxheart, #2)