Start by marking “I'm Not Your Manic Pixie Dream Girl” as Want to Read:
I'm Not Your Manic Pixie Dream Girl

I'm Not Your Manic Pixie Dream Girl

From acclaimed author Gretchen McNeil comes her first realistic contemporary romance—perfect for fans of Kody Keplinger’s The Duff  and Morgan Matson’s Since You've Been Gone.

Beatrice Maria Estrella Giovannini has life all figured out. She's starting senior year at the top of her class, she’s a shoo-in for a scholarship to M.I.T., and she’s got a new boyfriend she’s crazy about. The onlyKeplinger’s The
Published October 18th 2016 by Balzer + Bray

To ask other readers questions about I'm Not Your Manic Pixie Dream Girl, please sign up.
Aadeeba I absolutely loved sybg but honestly i don't see any similarities from this synopsis. maybe because reinventing yourself is a common factor in both…moreI absolutely loved sybg but honestly i don't see any similarities from this synopsis. maybe because reinventing yourself is a common factor in both books? (less)

Natalie Monroe

"Toile's type is heroin for a guy like Jesse."

"And what type is that?" I asked.

Spencer laughed. "Duh. She's a manic pixie dream girl."

I alternated between two expressions while reading. Going "Awww!" or having a big fat grin plastered on my face.

Fine, they're the same thing. I'm a little stuck for ideas on how to communicate the utter magic and intense teenage joy I'm Not Your Manic Pixie Dream Girl brought me, so in honor of the protagonist Bea's nerdiness, I'm making a list.

1. It's unbelievably adorable

Younger YA read
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

3.5 Stars

As soon as I saw my friend Peach reading this, I knew I had to get a copy of it immediately simply for that title alone. You’re all familiar with the Manic Pixie Dream Girl by this point, right? If not you probably live on Mars, but here’s a description for you . . . .

“A manic pixie dream girl is a character trope: a quirky, effervescent female who walks to the beat of her own drum and makes the male lead feel like she’s changed his world.”

“What else does she do?”

“Not much.”

Or, in other words . .

This was a YA contemporary story about a girl who tried to stop her friends being bullied by using a mathematical formula.

Bea was an okay character, and it was noble of her to try and help her friends to become more popular andEdelweiss.)
Stacee
I've always been a huge fan of Gretchen's, so I was super excited to see what she came up with for her first contemp without murdery goodness. And she definitely delivered.

I love love loved Bea and Gabe and especially Spencer. They're all awesome characters and I think we would have an amazing time getting arrested. I truly enjoyed being in Bea's head and seeing how she was all math all the time. It was amusing {and a bit exasperating} that someone so smart could be so stupid, but I was through
Kim at Divergent Gryffindor
The concept for I’m Not Your Manic Pixie Dream Girl’s concept is not that unique as I have seen it in other books like This is My Brain on Boys and The Boyfriend App but the author definitely made it unique in her own way. That said, I should probably avoid books like this in the future - books where the girls use some kind of academic knowledge in real life and things fail. Sometimes the character tends to seem robotic in this book, and although the author manages to make things unique, I find ...more
Colleen Houck
I loved that the heroine is a math wiz. You just don't see enough of those in YA literature. This was a fun journey with the heroine and I admire her bravery. Don't think I could have pulled something like that off. I related to her on so many levels.
Jen Ryland
Read more of my reviews on YA Romantics or follow me on Bloglovin

I've read all of Gretchen McNeil's books and there are always aspects of them that I enjoy. She has a lively, funny writing style and is always switching up genres.

I'm Not Your Manic Pixie Dream Girl had its appealing points, but also some things I didn't enjoy. At times, it felt to me like this book was a bunch of classic movies (Mean Girls, Election, Garden State, Clueless, Revenge of the Nerds) thrown into a blender and then poured into a comput(Mean/>I'm
Viktoria Winter
I received an ARC from the publisher, and that in no way swayed my honest opinion.

If you're a fan of high school comedies like Mean Girls or Clueless, this is the one for you. It was quirky, funny, and a little dark at times. But I enjoyed it nevertheless! (Full review to come soon.)
Rhianna
May 19, 2016 rated it it was ok
Too problematic to earn a rec from me.

The whole concept of the Manic Pixie Dream Girl is controversial. Do a little Googling and you're going to quickly realize what a sexist term it is. So I thought this book might be an enjoyable commentary on that sexism and the problem with it. Alas, it isn't.

I'm usually the champion and defender of unlikable heroines but this time I just can't make myself do it. I liked the idea of this book but once I had it in my hands and started to rea
Laurence R.
Jan 05, 2017 rated it liked it
I liked the idea of this book, but it developped into something similar to many other books. Still cute, though!
Christina Tremaine
Mar 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Beatrice Maria Estrella Giovannini has life all figured out. She's starting senior year at the top of her class, she's a shoo-in for a scholarship to M.I.T., and she's got a new boyfriend she's crazy about. The only problem: All through high school Bea and her best friends Spencer and Gabe have been the targets of horrific bullying.

So Bea uses her math skills to come up with The Formula, a 100% mathematically guaranteed path to social happiness in high school. Now Gabe is on his way to becoming
Stephanie
Jun 19, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: library, ya, ebook, lgbtqia, sfp, fluff
I'm not sure if this was a clever commentary on problematic tropes or an enabler. Yes, the MPDG is called out and addressed, but all of the other characters are also stereotypes. The best friend who is secretly in love with the heroine and everyone knows it, the gay best friend who is not your typical homosexual (and the boyfriend he's ashamed of at first but embraces by the end), the parents who are basically children themselves, the well-meaning but clueless step-parent, the arch-nemesis for n ...more
Mindy
Apr 21, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: library-grabs
I thought this would be a subversive, feminist look into manic pixie dream girls, but it was the exact opposite. Bea is Not Like Other Girls and is the world’s most unlikable protagonist. Everyone was unlikable in this book, actually.

I also loooved how Bea used fun insults like “pussy” and “skank.” A super fun feminist read for the whole feminist family. Not.
Roni Loren
Mar 10, 2017 added it
Shelves: ya, sweet
Very cute. Read it in one sitting.
Alison
Feb 10, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars

This wasn't what I was expecting (but don't ask me what exactly I was expecting, because I still don't know). It's about a girl who is nerdy and her two best friends and her get bullied. They find a formula to becoming cool and she discovers Manic Pixie Dream Girl tropes and becomes one to steal her boyfriend back.
I think I was first annoyed by the girl who comes to their school and is the "Manic Pixie Dream Girl" who is honestly weird and flamboyant and she is automat
Josiah (bookishfanboy)
Actual rating: 3.7 stars

It's started so slow, and I'm not really interested on what was happening at first. I'm glad that it got better and I got hooked after 100 pages. I thought that this book was funny and so pleased that it involves awareness especially in bullying. Full review to come!!

*Special thanks to Harper Collins International for sending me a review copy of this book*
Tissy
Nov 16, 2017 rated it did not like it
Boring.
Alex
Nov 28, 2016 rated it did not like it
This read like a corny after school special with the occasional swear word thrown in, which made the tone about as confusing as it sounds.
Dahlia
This was fun! It's obviously very conscious trope subversion, and with a fun cast of characters, eminently readable writing style, and OH MY GOD JUST HAVE The Conversation and KISS ALREADY ship <3
Liralen
Nov 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya, z-2018, reviewed, fiction
Cute but requires a fair amount of suspension of disbelief. I'm Not Your Manic Pixie Dream Girl asks you to believe, among other things: that the 'popular' kids are all dumb as a single box of bricks (seriously, they don't even get their own boxes); that you can reinvent yourself more or less overnight and nobody will so much as blink (they might not even notice); that personae such as Effeminate Gay Stereotype and (of course) Manic Pixie Dream Girl are instant wins with the popular crowd.
Rachel (borntoberustic)
Feb 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book! Finished it in just a couple sittings and enjoyed every moment of it. :) Beatrice is geeky, relatable, and a fantastic female protagonist! This might be one of my all time favorite contemporaries. For me, it ranks up wth books like "To All the Boys I've Loved Before" and "Don't Call Me Ishmael." Definitely a fun read! If you enjoy reading about some good high school drama, this is the book for you. :)
Mireille Duval
May 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this! It was very typical contemporary YA, with the trying on new personalities to see if they'd fit, and finding out what it means to be yourself, and what all those FEELINGS mean, and which way do they really point to?! I thought it was well-balanced between school, parents, friends,
lovers, enemies, something that novels don't always manage. (view spoiler) And I liked all the ma
booksbywhit
Sep 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book and the plot! It was such a cute novel :))
Peach
(...) I pointed my finger in Jesse's face. "I don't want you anymore. And I certainly don't have to put up with your shit. I deserve to be treated better, and so does Toile."

"I do?" Toile said.

"Yeah," I said. "You don't have to settle for a boyfriend who only likes you when you're getting attention from the popular people. He should like you all the time. No matter who you are."

This is the book I wish I had in high school.

It's so...empowering. Seriously, girls, women, ladies, you will love this. Guys, too. It doe
Lauren ✨ (YABookers)
Disclaimer: I received a free copy via Edelweiss for review purposes.

Bea is a math genius headed for MIT, so she develops The Formula in order to save her friends from a final year of bullying, designed to put her friends in the top social circles of high school. Gabe, one of her best friends, is now in with the popular clique, on his way to being Student Body President, and Spencer is getting his art skills noticed. Bea decides to use The Formula on herself when her new boyfriend Jesse dumps her for the
Ruthsic
Mar 19, 2015 rated it liked it

I'm Not Your Manic Pixie Dream Girl follows an old cliche- a geeky girl uses some formula to gain popularity in school, it succeeds but then she sees what she has done, and there's a life lesson. Bea is dumped by her first boyfriend barely days after a new girl called Toile, a manic pixie dream girl manifest, enters the school and rises to the top. Losing him to her spurs her competitiveness and though she initially created the formula to save herself and her best friends Sp
Sonya K.
Jan 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great romance. It's amazing how much and outsider/reader can discern about the characters while the characters themselves remain clueless to what's going on. :)
Kate
May 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, read-in-2016
Fun, insanely readable, and surprisingly deep! Full review to come later!
Isaiah
Jun 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
To see more reviews check out MI Book Reviews.

This is a review that is part of our Buddy Reads program where Maddy and I review the same book in a short time period.

I am going to be completely frank, I decided this was a book I had to read based on two criteria: the title and Maddy marked it to-read on GoodReads. I didn't know what the plot was, I didn't know the author. I clearly don't pay attention enough before I pick up a book.

This book follows a lot of 80's movie i
Carolyn Carpenter
Aug 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Beatrice Maria Estrella Giovannini has life all figured out. She's starting senior year at the top of her class, she’s a shoo-in for a scholarship to M.I.T., and she’s got a new boyfriend she’s crazy about. The only problem: All through high school Bea and her best friends Spencer and Gabe have been the targets of horrific bullying.

• Playing for the Devil's Fire
  • Frannie and Tru
  • Chocolate: Sweet Science  Dark Secrets of the World's Favorite Treat
  • The Fall of Butterflies
  • The Lost & Found
  • Lowriders to the Center of the Earth (Lowriders in Space, #2)
  • Stolen Secrets
  • Winning
  • Fireworks
  • Diplomatic Immunity
  • Say No to the Bro
  • Vanished (Vanished, #1)
  • Jack of Hearts
  • Silver People: Voices from the Panama Canal
  • Dan Versus Nature
  • Becoming (Project Five Fifteen #3)
  • Felix Yz
  • The Revolution of Birdie Randolph
Gretchen McNeil is the author of the YA horror/suspense novels POSSESS, 3:59, RELIC, GET EVEN, GET DIRTY, and TEN (a YALSA Top Ten Quick Pick for Reluctant Young Adult Readers, a Romantic Times Top Pick, and a Booklist Top Ten Horror Fiction for Youth) all with Balzer + Bray for HarperCollins. Gretchen’s first YA contemporary I’M NOT YOUR MANIC PIXIE DREAM GIRL, also with Balzer + Bray, hit shelve ...more
“Women are not on this planet exclusively to inspire men and make them happy. We have our own dreams and needs, our own shit to get done. We run companies, countries, international organizations. We're not props, and we're certainly not here to cater to mens' egos.” 5 likes
“Women are not on this planet exclusively to inspire men and make them happy. We have our own dreams and needs, our own shit to get done.” 4 likes