Start by marking “Frazzled: Everyday Disasters and Impending Doom (Frazzled, #1)” as Want to Read:
Frazzled: Everyday Disasters and Impending Doom (Frazzled, #1)

Frazzled: Everyday Disasters and Impending Doom

(Frazzled #1)

Meet Abbie Wu! She’s about to start middle school and she’s totally in crisis.

Abbie Wu is in crisis—and not just because she’s stuck in a family that doesn’t quite get her or because the lunch ladies at school are totally corrupt or because everyone seems to have a “Thing” except her. Abbie Wu is in crisis always.

Heavily illustrated and embarrassingly honest, Frazzled dive
Published September 27th 2016 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Frazzled, please sign up.
Pamela De Yes Just in libaries I checked it out and also loved it!
…more
Yes Just in libaries I checked it out and also loved it!
(less)

Start your review of Frazzled: Everyday Disasters and Impending Doom (Frazzled, #1)
Jaime Arkin
May 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2016
I have to tell you all that I read this book in just a couple hours and it's completely adorable and sweet and I loved Abbie Wu's middle school adventure.

My son saw me reading it and the minute I turned the last page, he snatched it out of my hands and has been carrying it back and forth to school reading and rereading it.

We sat down together and talked about what we liked about it and here's our review!

Frazzled is about Abbie Wu and her move to middle school. All her friends know exactly wha
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
This was such a cute read. I picked it up on a whim after a twitter friend (thanks, Danielle!) recommended it and it was really sweet! Poor little Abbie Wu has a case of the "Middles" — it's her entrance to middle school, and she's absolutely wracked with anxiety and a feeling of not belonging anywhere. It's so relatable, especially to someone like me who also had legitimate anxiety issues as a kid; while Abbie never puts a name on her feelings, they surely stuck out as recognizable.

Abbie's nar
Kimberly Antill
So I'm a lot older than the intended audience for this book which is ages 8-12, however it was a cute story. The writing and plot were simple and I found the many illustrations to be fun and enjoyable. I liked the main character even though there were times that she was a little bit negative and over dramatic but she does experience some character growth which I thought was important for the intended audience to see.
Linda Williams Jackson
Jun 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I met the author, Booki Vivat, at the ALA 2016 conference in Orlando a couple of weeks ago. When I saw the ARC (advance reader’s copy) her book, I immediately exclaimed, “Oh, I want a copy!” And since she had two, she graciously gave me on.

My intent was to read the book myself because it looked so deliciously funny. But when I got home, I asked my nine-year-old son, a reluctant reader, if he would like to read it. His response was, “Sure, why not?” (Which is basically how he responds to everythi
La Coccinelle
I wasn't sure I was going to like this book when I started it. After all, I can't really relate to the middle school experience. I seem to have missed it! When I was in fifth grade, the K-6 school I attended made some changes that would see the sixth graders at the junior high (originally 7-8) the next year. But then I moved over the summer... to a place where elementary school was K-7. I should've gone into junior high (8-10) after that, but the year I finished grade seven, the schools combined ...more
Celeste_pewter
Aug 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
One of the reasons why I enjoy middle grade fiction so much is because it's a genre that's willing to take risks.

Case in point: the upcoming Frazzled: Everyday Disasters and Impending Doom by debut author Booki Vivat. Vivat intermixes gorgeous black and white illustrations that are reminiscent of Bill Waterson, into an intelligent and funny tale about middle-child Abbie Wu's first year of middle school.

Abbie suffers from a typical case of middle-child syndrome, growing up in the shadow of olde
Danielle
Sep 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: chapter-books
Hilarious spin on feeling frazzled, worried, and stuck in the middle but finding your thing, your place, and your way through it.
Andrew Guan
While this book was good, an engaging and funny comic-like novel, I need to address some of the weaknesses of this book. First, I felt like the book was too short, granted, it is hard writing a lot when you have to add tons of illustrations, but everything felt too fast, and I felt the author didn't elaborate or add detail to some parts of the story. Near the ending, the author turns the characters' life from doomed to decent in a span of a few pages. This book is the first out of a Trilogy, but ...more
Lata
3.5 stars. Frazzled is a fun little story of Abbie Wu starting middle school. She is stressed about every aspect, and finds the start of her year difficult at first, but things do improve as the year progresses. Abbie reacts to everything with melodrama and has an amusing way of describing each situation she finds herself in.
Dee Dee G
Jun 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Well the book lived up to the title because it had ME frazzled.
Milka
Jun 18, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016, middle-grade

I don't read middle grade novels very often, but after reading Booki Vivat's Frazzled: Everyday Disasters and Impending Doom, I definitely became more interested about the prospect of delving into MG literature more often. Frazzled is extremely funny, relatable and filled with funny and poignant illustrations.

Frazzled is the story of Abbie Wu who is about to start middle school and she is far from excited. As a middle child, she is used to being in the middle and that has never really worked out
Pawk. Poe
Oct 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
The book “frazzled” is about a girl named Abbie Wu going to middle school.

What I like about this book is Abbie Wu doesn't have anything to do at school, while the others have things to do, like making clothes and playing sports. I like how she have the power to exchange the lunch. One more thing I like about this book is she’s a good friend because she helped her friends start their own things. One signpost that I noticed is Contrasts and Contradictions. I like how her brother changed at the end
Ashley
Nov 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Very cute, great illustrations.
Nicole M. Hewitt
This review and many more can be found on my blog: Feed Your Fiction Addiction

This super cute book highlights the trials and tribulations of middle school! Abbi Wu is trying desperately to find her place in a new school where she seems destined to fail. She doesn’t feel like she has any special talents or interests that allow her to fit in automatically, and she fears that she might never find her niche. The book is full of youthful hyperbole and a whole lot of energy, and it’s sure to connect p
Lynn Hoffmann
Aug 11, 2016 rated it liked it
I received this book as an ARC last week. The release date of this book is scheduled for 9.16.16. Abbie Wu is entering middle school (enter sound of impending doom here). Abbie appears to have a lot of anxiety issues and literally stresses out over every small thing in her life. Even though this book has received many good reviews, I found our protagonist to be quite irritating. Perhaps she's supposed to be a little neurotic and replete with idiosyncrasies, but it was just too much.

I did like t
Sep 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, juvenile, realistic
Very cute and endearing realistic story with a diverse cast of characters, including a POC main character. This will fit right in alongside Diary of a Wimpy Kid and Dork Diaries, and I hope it becomes a series because I liked it leaps and bounds more than either of this (particularly the latter). I connected with Abbie quite a bit and I think a lot kids will as well. Not all the illustrations were present in my copy, but the ones I saw were charming and suited the story quite well.

Thanks to the
Sarah E.
Sep 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Let me preface this by saying that I don't mean that I don't like this book *NOW* when I say that I would have really enjoyed this in my younger years. I loved this style of book when I was a kid and, in fact, just convinced my 9 year old daughter to read Double Act, which has a very similar style to this novel. The illustrations are hilarious and wonderful. I was fawning over all the gorgeous calligraphy and word art. The story itself was wonderful. It was humorous while still addressing a very ...more
Shenwei
Nov 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
funny and a wild ride from start to finish.

TW: repeated use of ableist language e.g. "cr*zy," "nuts" etc.
Jen
Jul 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, ala-annual-2016
This was a really cute book that I think showed the inner thinking of a 6th grade girl who was a middle child and felt like she was stuck i the middle of everything. She had friends though, so she wasn't all alone and while her father wasn't in the picture (it never explained why), her mom was a happy, cheerful adult and her other siblings, while having distinct personalities, didn't seem to be poorly adjusted.

The artwork was SO ADORABLE and went well with the story and inner monologue of the M
Michele Knott
Aug 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
LOVE this middle school book! Abbie Wu is a middle school student that you know, that you were.
Booki Vivat has captured what middle school is like - finding your place, trying not to stand out while wanting attention.
Love the doodles, love the voice.
Abby
Dec 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Very relatable! I loved this book. It ends on a cliff hanger! Pretty drawings too!
Luke Reynolds
Actual rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars

I really liked the first entry in Booki Vivat's Frazzled series. The actual starting middle school drama and it being horrible is nothing new, sure, and the writing is on the simple side, but I know a lot of younger readers will relate to Abbie's incessant worrying that I know I had at one point. Also, the illustrations were an awesome touch and really made everything incredibly endearing. They also made me laugh and smile in a way very similar to Sarah Andersen,
Kris
Sep 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
A terrifically fun start-of-middle-school book is Frazzled: Everyday disasters and impending doom. Middle-child Abbie Wu is not thrilled with the changes that Middle School brings, especially with her best friends in another homeroom, terrifying new teachers and the horror of the lunch line. Through some good listening and problem solving skills she does come up with a solution to one of the above difficulties. But what will the MS admin think of her plan? This is an excellent "Words&Pics" selec ...more
Lorna
Aug 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kid-lit
This book is adorable! I don't know if was because I related a little too much to Abbie (ha) or that the handwriting with the illustrations looked so much like my own writing, but I loved it. The only negative I can find is the way the cafeteria was run - as a school employee, I don't really see that happening. I liked that the ending was positive but not neatly tied up in a bow with every problem solved.
Juwi
Jan 08, 2020 rated it liked it
Cute story about the struggles of Middle School and well Abbie 100% has anxiety since she worried ALL THE TIME so hopefully in the other books she actually gets professional help so she can have healthy coping mechanisms rather than everyone just saying ‘don’t worry’ haha magically cured amazing thanks!

The Lunch Revolution was defo a clever idea 👏🏽👏🏽👏🏽

And like Peter said we’re all just figuring it out!

Julie
Entertaining and realistic middle-grade graphic novel, about the trials and tribulations of Abbie Wu in sixth grade, as she tries, respective to all the electives that are out there in school, to discover her "thing." I loved the humor and her very realistic experiences, which will be familiar to middle schoolers as well as their parents if they can remember back to their own tween/teen years! This would be a great read for a mother-daughter or parent-teen book club.
Kim Bahr
Jul 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Abbie sure does struggle with the middles. Quick read with a sweet message for middle schoolers. I can see students enjoying this book.
Kathy Mathey
Jul 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Cute!
Kary
Jul 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: diversity
Great readalike to Wimpy Kid and Dork Diaries!
leai
Aug 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
loved this book so much
it has so much reality in it,
Abbie reminds me of my self when I was at her age , I love her personality so much.
I love how realistic everything was going on with her like
this book deserves 5 starts!!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• Stargazing
  • New Kid (New Kid, #1)
  • Just Jaime
  • His Day Is Done: A Nelson Mandela Tribute
  • Brave (Berrybrook Middle School, #2)
  • I Survived The Sinking of the Titanic, 1912 : A Graphix Book
  • The Cardboard Kingdom
  • Swing it, Sunny
  • Cub
  • The Tapper Twins Run for President (The Tapper Twins, #3)

Frazzled (3 books)
  • Ordinary Mishaps and Inevitable Catastrophes (Frazzled, #2)
  • Minor Incidents and Absolute Uncertainties (Frazzled, #3)