Start by marking “Wonderfall” as Want to Read:
Wonderfall

Wonderfall

This beautiful and informative picture book follows a single tree through the fall season, from the end of summer to winter’s first snowfall. A great read-aloud for home and the classroom by the New York Times–bestselling creator of My Heart Is Like a Zoo and Red: A Crayon’s Story.

Wonderfall follows a single tree through the changing of the seasons. People, animals, and ve
Published September 6th 2016 by Greenwillow Books

To ask other readers questions about Wonderfall, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wonderfall

KC
Oct 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I adore this book. With it's charming art work reminiscent of Lois Ehlert and Eric Carle, this tale delights readers with how our world transforms from summer to fall. A truly accurate description for any nature lover.
Agnė
Dec 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
4.5 out of 5
What a great celebration of fall! Wonderfall definitely lives up to its title :)

Each double-page spread introduces a fall-related blended word accompanied by beautiFALL artwork (I LOVE the colors and the textures, and all the animals!) and a playFALL poem:

Such mini-episodes work together extremely well to capture the spirit and progression of fall. And the twist at the end is simply perfect! Plus, I really liked the final pages with interesting information on the way different animal
Abigail
Nov 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fellow Fall Lovers / Anyone Who Is Looking for Autumn Picture-Books
Author/artist Michael Hall offers a poetic picture-book tribute to the beauties of autumn in this lovely collection, presenting fifteen short poems, each inspired by a particular portmanteau word, from 'peacefall' to 'watchfall.' A brief afterword gives more information about fall, and the coming of winter, from the perspective of the tree who provides shelter for the squirrels...

As someone who loves pretty much everything about autumn, from the colors to the seasonal celebrations, someone who a
June
Sep 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Autumn picture book requests
Each page topped by a word changed to include fall, followed by a brief description/poem.

Went over well at story time.
Claudia
Nov 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
It's books like this treasure by Michael Hall that make me want to take a step back and really evaluate my children's writing. I tend to focus heavily on dense, complex stories when my first love was poetry for children. I am a huge lover of Autumn and Hall's journey from late summer to the first snowfall was bittersweet but wonderfully done. I also thought the animal descriptions at the end of the book were a nice touch.
Erin
Apr 05, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: childrens
Fun book about autumn. I appreciate the last few pages that explain the different ways the animals seen throughout the book prepare for winter. However, I do wish more of that information had been integrated into the story instead of just at the end.
Bethe
Jan 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Ode to fall from the point of view of an oak tree, almost like a collection of poetry. Love the end matter, love the art. Be sure to look at the case under the dust jacket. Where was this book a month or 2 ago - need to remember it for next fall.
Nancy Kotkin
Text: 5 stars
Illustrations: 5 stars

Lovely picture book that can serve multiple purposes. Use it to discuss seasons, teach science, or enjoy the poetry and word play. Compound words substitute the word "fall" for the suffix "-ful" and serve as the titles for the poems. The seasons progress from late summer through early winter, depicted through both the activities and the illustrations. Useful information on the last three page spreads about all the animals featured in the book as well as squirre
Tasha
Sep 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
In a series of poems, this picture book celebrates the changing seasons through the experience of a tree. First in the greenness of summer, the acorns start to fall from the oak tree. The yellow school bus arrives and the tree’s leaves start to change. Harvest time arrives, parades march past, and Halloween comes.The leaves start to fall, Thanksgiving comes and children play in the piles of leaves. Wind arrives, taking most of the leaves off the tree and its time to rake. No leaves left, the tre ...more
Michele Knott
Oct 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Perfect book to read for the fall! Enjoyed seeing all of the words with -ful that Hall changed into -fall. Autumn poems are a delight to read.
Danielle
Oct 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I love the illustrations
Kylie
Oct 30, 2017 added it
Shelves: chidren-s-lit
Summary
Two gray squirrels tell the story on the great adventures, traditions and changes of fall. Fall can mean holidays, back to school, leaves falling, harvesting, foods and more. Wonderfall connects the activities from the season with the different feelings that fall will give us. This book may even give you a new idea of what fall means to you! The end of the book also has some fun facts about fall critters and how gray squirrels live during fall and prepare for winter.

Activity
SuccessFALL

The
Martha
Feb 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Wonderfall is chock full of information even though each page has only one blended word followed by a couple of lyrical sentences describing the word. "Wistfall... Good-bye geese. I'm sad to see you go." Told from the point of view of the oak tree, we learn how animals live, supported by the nuts, leaves, branches, etc of the tree. In the back of the book there are ta few comprehensive pages about "Getting ready for winter" and, "Gray squirrels and acorns," and, "What about me?" (the oak tree), ...more
Krystal Shoop-Hardin
Aug 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: seasons
This is an imaginative story on the season of Fall. The illustrations are done in a geometric like style. Each page has it's own text written in a poetry like style. Besides following the tree through the seasons into Fall, the author makes use of 15 blended words: dutifall, plentifall, beautifall, etc... using the word Fall. This story is informative as well as engaging to it's audience. I would use it in the classroom to teach seasons, phonics, colors, shapes, animals, and plants. I think it m ...more
Jason
Sometimes I wonder if Michael Hall puts a bunch of things in a hat, shakes it around, and then writes a book about it. We've got seasons, we've got animals, we've got poetry, we've got wordplay, we've got story, we've got facts... there are a LOT of ways you could use this book in an educational setting. My issue could be a nitpicky one, but I feel like the wordplay feels more forced than clever at times. Contrast it to Cat Tale, which is Hall's clever whimsy at its best.
Kelsey Frost
Nov 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Love how this story is written in verse and it uses the word "fall" on each of the pages to describe how the tree transitions from fall tree to the beginning of winter. Great book for prediction work. My students quickly picked up on the idea that the words would end with "fall" and tried to predict what it would say using clues from the book. They also enjoyed the non-fiction facts in the back of the book, we searched to see if the squirrels were looking for their acorns they had misplaced.
Vivian
Nov 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Enjoy the season from the tree's point of view.
Each double-page spread captures an aspect of the season in a column of verse and often some onomatopoeia (sound words). I mentally applauded with each choice of "full" words selected to become "fall" words. PeaceFALL, DutiFALL, PlentiFALL, BeautiFALL, and so forth.
At the end of the book there are informative pages about animals featured in the illustrations "getting ready for winter" and finally more about the deciduous tree.
Amy Oberts
Jul 25, 2017 rated it liked it
"Wonderfall" is a departure from Michael Hall's other works, as it is a collection of poetry. The wordplay is clever, and the bright, primary-colored illustrations will likely captivate young readers. The inclusion of nonfiction information at the end of the book is unexpected and could be utilized by teachers to introduce changes in seasons.
Jennifer Kelley
Dec 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed reading this book for a fall storytime. Love the clear bright illustrations.
The pictures of different animals were a delight to the children, including the young toddler whose comment was "we shoot them". Obviously a hunting family!
Viviane Elbee
This book is a collection of poems showing the fall season from the point of view of a tree.

Colorful, charming illustrations.

My kids liked the play on words.

For older preschoolers and young elementary students. It may be a tad long for young toddlers, but they may enjoy the pictures.
Jessica Trudel
Aug 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love how the author plays with blending words in the story. A simple concept, and it works. The illustrations are colourful and really fill up the page, helping young readers follow along while older kids read the words.
Andrea
Sep 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Even as an adult, I love this! I love the play on words, the colors, the illustrations. The whole book is enjoyable and pleasing to the eyes. It also includes some educational information in the back of the book.
Marti M
Oct 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is beautiful and full of fall feels
Katy
Jul 28, 2018 rated it did not like it
I really don't like the concept for this book. I realize I'm in the minority on this, but I have a hard time getting into Michael Hall.
Haley
Nov 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another delitfall picture book from Michael Hall. Gorgeous and vibrant collage illustrations paired with a play-on-words poem dedicated to the most colorful season of the year, Fall!
Beckie
Great fall book and loved the play on words throughout. Beautiful illustrations. Great for all ages.
Casey
Sep 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Used for seasons storytime theme because of the bright colors and poetic words, but didn't work as well for storytime (especially with a younger crowd).
AbsentLibrarian
Nov 22, 2016 rated it liked it
Uses wordplay on the word Fall/full to vocalize the happenings during the season as a tree witnesses the neighbourhood from the end of summer to winter.
Trish
Nov 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, je
This is about an oak tree getting ready for winter.
Wade
Sep 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Would have been 5 stars except that I didn’t like how it couldn’t decide whether it wanted to be a rhyming book or not.
  • Yellow Time
  • All We Know
  • Orangutanka: A Story in Poems
  • Can I Touch Your Hair?: Poems of Race, Mistakes, and Friendship
  • Water Sings Blue: Ocean Poems
  • Hocus Pocus, It's Fall!
  • Shiver Me Timbers!: Pirate Poems  Paintings
  • Winter Bees & Other Poems of the Cold
  • Water Can Be...
  • Fall Is Not Easy
  • Goodbye Autumn, Hello Winter
  • Full of Fall
  • A Poem in Your Pocket
  • Flutter and Hum / Aleteo y Zumbido: Animal Poems / Poemas de Animales

Michael Hall is the author/illustrator of The New York Times bestseller, My Heart Is Like a Zoo, as well as the critically acclaimed Perfect Square, It’s an Orange Aardvark, Red: A Crayon’s Story, and Frankencrayon.

Before becoming a children’s author, Michael was an award-winning graphic designer whose work — i