Start by marking “Rose & Thorn (Ash & Bramble, #2)” as Want to Read:
Rose & Thorn (Ash & Bramble, #2)

Rose & Thorn

(Ash & Bramble #2)

A spindle. A beautiful girl. A century-long slumber.

There is a story that longs to be told. It searches for its heroine, its prince, and the magic it needs to come alive. It will stop at nothing for its happily ever after.

One girl in search of answers. Two powerful forces at war. Three curses braided together.

After the spell protecting her is destroyed, Rose seeks safety i
Published October 18th 2016 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about Rose & Thorn, please sign up.
Aislin Brunt From my understanding they are stand alones in the same world. This one apparently takes place 50 years after the first, so while I think they may tie…moreFrom my understanding they are stand alones in the same world. This one apparently takes place 50 years after the first, so while I think they may tie in I don't see how there could be such a connection you have to read Ash and Bramble first.(less)

Once there was a girl who lived in a forest cottage.
Upon her wrist she bore a birthmark in the shape of a newly opening rose.
A ticking triple curse was cast at the moment of her birth, and her
Time is running out.

Retellings can be a hard thing to pull off. Sometimes they end up being phenomenal. Other times they fall flat. It is not exactly an issue here because it’s hard to call this just a retelling. Rose & Thorn as an individual novel is a retelling of Sleeping Beauty, though it follows
(Source: I was able to view a digital galley of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to HarperCollins and Edelweiss.)

Once there was a girl who lived in a forest cottage.
Upon her wrist she bore a birthmark in the shape of a newly opening rose.
A ticking triple curse was cast at the moment of her birth, and her
Time is running out.”

This was a YA fantasy retelling of Sleeping Beauty.

Rose was an okay character if a little naïve. She could have very easily died in the forest just
Stacee

I'm a sucker for anything Sleeping Beauty, so I was quite eager to get this in my hands.

I liked this cast of characters. Rose and Griff and Quirk are complete opposites and it was entertaining reading them piece the entire situation together. There are a few twists and revelations I wasn't expecting and that was satisfying to see.

Parts of the story felt really rushed. I'm not sure if the e-arc was missing some {GR says its 400+ pages, my e-copy was 274} or that's just how the story fl
Jaime (Two Chicks on Books)
Feb 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Omg I loved this! This was better than Ash & Bramble IMO! I loved Griff and Rose! Ooh and Quirk too! I will admit I was sad it jumped ahead 50 years I missed Pen and Shoe.
Elizabeth
Nov 12, 2016 rated it liked it
It was like watching a train wreck. I just couldn't look away or stop reading. I kept thinking it might get better but it never did.

Was there a plot? Um, sort of but very thin.

Were the characters well developed? One dimensional is not well developed. Stick figures have more life than these characters.

Did the book stick to the premise? Well, it took over half the book before even getting anywhere near it (Sleeping Beauty retold) and still barely touched it and even then it maybe filled a few pa
Shruthi
For more reviews like this one, check out my blog, Reading Recluses

A mediocre, ultimately forgettable retelling of sleeping beauty. It was way too long, repetitive, and predictable. The idea of 'story' cursing people and forcing them to follow a certain plot could've been interesting if only the characters weren't quite so bland. Also Rose and Griff were so freaking annoying and had as much personality as a vegan omelette with no vegetables or fruit in it.

Rating: 65/100
Age: 13& up
Warnings: s
Natalie
Dec 28, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2016
Actual rating - 2.5

Definitely not as good as the first one. Much of the story was meandering and hard to follow.

I didn't like Rose as a heroine as much as I liked Pen from the first one. Rose was very naive. I also didn't buy the romance as much in this one either. The guy barely spoke so how could they be in love?

It did pick up by the end, but this could have been much shorter and still told the same story.
Brandy Painter
Originally posted here at Random Musings of a Bibliophile.

Last year's Ash & Bramble was one of my favorite books of the year. I was very much anticipating its follow-up Rose & Thorn so when author Sarah Prineas offered to send me an ARC, I said YES very quickly. I'm happy to say it is excellent and my favorite Sleeping Beauty reworking yet.

Rose has lived her entire life with her guardian Shoe in a valley protected by the Penwitch's power. When the protection is broken, Rose's circumstanc
Anna Eklund
Set decades after the events of ASH & BRAMBLE, ROSE & THORN returns readers to the world Sarah Prineas created, where we learn that Story wasn’t as effectively defeated as we thought. Rose has been stolen from Story’s grasp and raised, protected, by a kindly man named Shoe. But the spells protecting her have failed, and now the three curses woven into her fate seek to claim her. She journeys to the City, ruled by the Protector and his Watchers, who seek to keep Story’s foothold outside t ...more
Rivalie
🌹 sleeping beauty: Rose and Thorn is the second book in Sarah Prineas' series of dark fairy tale retellings. As with all stories that attempt to put a new spin on what is familiar, it's always a daunting and exciting task. I enjoyed the general premise of this retelling but found myself feeling detached from the characters. Rose was naive from being raised in a little bubble (literally) and while she wasn't as cardboard as they come, I didn't find much depth to her character. Griff on the other ...more
郭茗茗(Sarah Guo)
Not my favorite. I kind of forced myself to read the last 100-150 pages.
Melissa (The Reader & The Chef)
*This review can also be found on YA Books Central! Special thanks to the publisher for the review copy in exchange for my honest opinion.*

Not Your Usual Fairy Tale Retelling!

Rose & Thorn is a captivating retelling. It's dark, gritty, and gives a new spin to Sleeping Beauty where Rose doesn't need to be saved by Prince Charming nor wait for true love's kiss.

What I Liked:

I haven't had the pleasure of reading Ash&Bramble, the first book in the series, but it was no trouble at all to read
Once
Jan 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Why was this story so short? Is it because I was enjoying it so much, Sarah just wanted to tease me? Because if it is, then that's not fair, I need more. Rose & Thorn is by far my favorite of this series. From the very beginning this story was compelling.

Rose has been living her entire life apart from the world. She's been protected by the Penwitch's power and been guarded by Shoe, yes that Shoe. She's very naive and has a lot to learn. But when the protection is broken, Rose must learn to s
Beth
Nov 26, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Very mixed feelings. Here's a retelling of Sleeping Beauty set in a world that would be more interesting, I think, were it not forced to follow the constraints of the fairy tale; Griff's story, as the lonely son trying to prove himself in a grim institution that just barely allows advancement based on merit, is much more compelling than the story that plots his new path.

Or should I say Story? It's a messy concept, the idea that there's a power that forces events to match specific fairy tales, an
Kathy Martin
Dec 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a lovely retelling of Sleeping Beauty. Rose has been raised by Shoe in a protected valley. When she is a little past sixteen, the protection is broken, Shoe dies, and Rose needs to venture out into a world she knows nothing about.

Rose knows that she carries three curses but she doesn't know what they are. Her journey takes her through the Forest and into a city where the Protector is saving his people from Story by not allowing stories to be told. His son Griff is a Watcher along with
Erin
Jan 05, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the first book in this series but honestly some of it is just too complicated. The characters fall a little flat and the book falls prey to cliches and pretty cheesy writing. I really love her Magic Thief series for kids and think that might be a better genre for her.
Amber
Mar 01, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a lover of Sleeping Beauty, I found myself enjoying the retelling of a familiar story in a different way. While the retelling takes some time to come to fruition, it allows the reader to understand more about the world that exists at the start of the book. This is especially helpful to those, like myself, who were unaware that this book is the second in a current two-book series. The world itself may be one of the parts I found most interesting. The concept of a villain who feeds off of ensur ...more
Megan
A solid YA retelling of Sleeping Beauty that delivers plenty of twists on fairytale tropes and a couple of winks and nods to the Disney version ("Make it pink") while also telling an original story. Rose is a little cloyingly sweet, good, and innocent in places, but writing her as an ingenue makes her a refreshing contrast to the cynical and battle-hardened heroines that YA has accumulated recently. Griff was delightful, everything I wanted, but the narrative was overly harsh on him, and the way ...more
May 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't enjoy it as much as the first book. Though it was enjoyable, I wanted a little more development with the original characters. Still, the newer characters were just as powerful. However, the theme of this story were less obvious than before.
Morgan (The Bookish Beagle)
Jul 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Really liked this a lot! Review to come :)
Evelyn
Apr 12, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
it was pretty good, but i've read better. it did keep me wanting to keep reading, so i guess that's good. i would recommend it if you like sci-fi or fantasy.
Vee
Aug 06, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a cute story, though the issues I had with the first book are more prominent here. It took me a while to read only because I went through a huge reading slump and I kept putting it down. But if not for that, it actually was a fast read when I finally got my groove back. The characters were all connected to those we knew in Ash & Bramble, though the connections were not immediately obvious, and there were a few twists that surprised me, which is always nice.  There was also an examina ...more
Sarah Amelia
4/5 stars!

I recieved a review copy of this book all thoughts are my own. Thanks to Harper Collins(?) for the book!

This book was really good! I enjoyed it better than the first book I think, but it was confusing at times and I needed a little more clarity for some parts.

Rose was an interesting main character and her internal struggle made the book more intriguing. I really loved all the characters!

Also, THAT COVER. It’s so pretty!
Amy A
Oct 18, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviews
3.5

Originally posted at Vampire Book Club

Once upon a time, there was a girl who carried a curse. The curse showed itself as a rose upon her wrist. Two protectors conspired to steal the girl away in the night when she was little more than a newborn. A magical spell keeps those who would do the girl harm from finding her, but it also forces the girl and her guardian to live away from civilization.

Not long after her sixteenth birthday, the girl, Rose, learns that the boundary that protected her ha
Stephanie Ward
Oct 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
'Rose & Thorn' is a beautifully imaginative retelling of Sleeping Beauty, and will have readers begging for more. I read and reviewed Ash & Bramble when it came out last year - and I absolutely loved it! When I found out this book was set in the same world as the other, I couldn't wait to get my hands on it. I admit I had sort of high hopes for this novel after reading the author's previous book - and I'm so happy to say that I was not disappointed! I really enjoyed every aspect of this ...more
Nicole
I kindly received this book from Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

Rose & Thorn is a re-telling of Sleeping Beauty, who is named Rose in this story. It's equal parts Sleeping Beauty and the myth of Oedipus. Not so much that a main character has children with her father, but that one should never try to circumvent the oracle. Or, in this case, circumvent Story.

Re-tellings of classic fairy tales/stories seem to be all the rage right now. We started with Cinder, then got Dorothy Must
Kalla [A Bookish Nerd]
Really liked the premise and overall plot of this book but execution was not strong enough to make this a powerful story. Characters were okay but lacked definition and depth and did not make me care about what happened to them.

At least 50 to 75 pages could have been cut. Rose's first time in the City dragged and bored me. Time spent in The Forest could have been cut down as well. I would liked to have seen characters in the castle behave erratically and try harder to have Rose play as Story's
Lucie Paris
A nice way of revisiting a popular fairy tale!

"Only the kiss of true love can stop the curse." A famous quote that remind you instantly of "Sleeping Beauty", her adventures and curse.
It was never my favorite as I found the princess too passive and innocent. In this story, I've appreciated Rose's spontaneity as well as her positive attitude. She wants to fight her fate and believes in love being able to overcome every troubles.

Much more darker, this story is interesting. To be honest, I've found
Sami
Jul 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rose & Thorn takes a familiar fairy tale and uses a unique concept (Story as an omniscient being that forces people into pre-planned lives and endings) to turn it inside out. I haven't read Ash & Bramble yet, but I certainly will now. Rose and Griff were both wonderfully fleshed out characters, and the element of self-discovery as a tool to fight against Story was well done. Recommended for fans of Cinder, Princess of Thorns, and Spindle's End
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids
Picking up years after Ash and Bramble ended, Rose and Thorn thrusts readers back into that same world. One where the Story of this classic fairytale retelling is really alive. Things are definitely not quite the same as it was when Shoe and Pin's story ended......

FULL REVIEW http://mundiemoms.blogspot.com/2016/1...
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 4 Feb 16, 2016 08:02AM

• The Blind Wish (The Jinni Wars, #2)
  • The Pillars of Ponderay (The Balance Keepers, #2)
  • Beautiful Curse
  • Untitled (Stolen Crowns, #1)
  • Spindle
  • Pretty Dark Sacrifice (Pretty Dark Nothing, #2)
  • The Secret of Dreadwillow Carse
  • Kingdom of Ashes (A Wicked Thing, #2)
  • Tear You Apart (Beau Rivage, #2)
  • Ravenous (Monstrous, #2)
  • Once Upon Another Time: An Anthology of Tales (Once Upon a Time-Travel, #4)
  • Beauty and the Beast
  • Blood Passage (Dark Caravan Cycle, #2)
  • Cinderella, Necromancer (Cinderella, Necromancer, #1)
  • Harmonic (Dissonance, #1.5)
  • Mirror, Mirror (Twisted Tales, #6)
  • Beauty Tempts the Beast
  • Roses  (The Tales Trilogy, #1)
Author of the Magic Thief series, the Winterling trilogy, and others.

My website: www.sarah-prineas.com

Check out the book website, http://www.magicthief.com

Ash & Bramble (2 books)
  • Ash & Bramble (Ash & Bramble, #1)