Start by marking “In the Labyrinth of Drakes (The Memoirs of Lady Trent #4)” as Want to Read:
In the Labyrinth of Drakes (The Memoirs of Lady Trent #4)

In the Labyrinth of Drakes

(The Memoirs of Lady Trent #4)

The thrilling new book in the acclaimed fantasy series from Marie Brennan, as the glamorous Lady Trent takes her adventurous explorations to the deserts of Akhia.

Even those who take no interest in the field of dragon naturalism have heard of Lady Trent's expedition to the inhospitable deserts of Akhia. Her discoveries there are the stuff of romantic legend, catapulting her
Published April 5th 2016 by Titan Books

To ask other readers questions about In the Labyrinth of Drakes, please sign up.
Avaminn F'nett It's low fantasy, which is why there's no magic. I hesitate to call it historical fantasy since it doesn't have a historical real-world setting like…moreIt's low fantasy, which is why there's no magic. I hesitate to call it historical fantasy since it doesn't have a historical real-world setting like Temeraire. There's a difference between science fiction and fiction about science. Say dragons are replaced with birds and, this would be a realistic historical fiction novel about a scientist.(less)

Mogsy (MMOGC)
5 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum http://bibliosanctum.com/2016/03/29/b...

If you’re not reading this series yet, you should be! My love for it just grows and grows, and indeed I think In the Labyrinth of Drakes may be my favorite Memoir by Lady Trent installment yet! So many questions that I had are finally answered, and there are plenty of other major reveals (but don’t worry, I won’t say what they are here) for readers who have been following our protagonist on her adventures. I promise you, t
Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller
My favorite yet!! This series speaks to everything I love about dragons. RTC
Sanaa
[5 Stars] My favorite so far. I could not put it down and basically read it in one sitting. This series is so unique and refreshing. I can't wait to read the conclusion!
Lata
Isabella continues doing what she loves best, which is chase after dragons. This time, she goes to Akhia (no idea how to spell any of the names, as I've been listening my way through this series) on a project for the Scaerling army, to figure out how to breed dragons, and also hopes to reconnect with Suhail, the scholar who journeyed with her for part of her time on the Basilisk (The Voyage of the Basilisk).
There is still lots of humour in this story, as Isabella is much more forthright than so
Kaitlin
Jun 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-sff-faves
This book...or rather this series...has been marvellous. So far I have thoroughly enjoyed every one, but this one I found particularly charming and loveable for some of the developments within. In this book we continue to follow Isabella (a.k.a. Lady Trent) as she travels abroad to study her passion once more...Dragons. Isabella is a wonderful character, very resilient, highly practical, very forthright, and filled with opinions about how ladies should be treated fairly alongside men. Her ideals ...more
Nicole
This series keeps getting better and better! Can't wait for the next book.
Moonlight Reader
I am caught up to the final book, which won’t be released until the 25th.

I adored this book. As far as my enjoyment goes, the pacing of this series has been remarkably effective. Although the tale is being told as a memoir, Marie Brennan has done an outstanding job letting the intellectual development of Isabella unfold. We get some of the most frankly feminist moments in this book. Lady Trent, at this point, is a woman with no fucks left to give about propriety. She has learned, in the hardest
Nikki
I was dying for this book ever since I finished Voyage of the Basilisk, and I made sure to get hold of it the very first chance I got, and reread the other books in preparation. I’ve loved this series more and more with each book, and this one is no exception: there’s so much awesome stuff — more biology, more anthropology, more archaeology, more Isabella, and of course, more politics. It’s lovely to follow Isabella and Tom and see them finally getting the recognition they deserve, even if they ...more
Marina
May 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In the Labyrinth of the Drakes is the fourth installment in the Lady Trent series by Marie Brennan, and it is one of the best dragon series' written, that I've read.

In the Labyrinth of Drakes continues the adventures of Isabella - Lady Trent- and Tom and we follow them to the deserts of Akhia, where they go to study the Drakes. In it there they are reunited with Suhail - and I will be a liar is I deny that I practically squealed every time they ended up near each other.

This is probably one of th
YouKneeK
Sep 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the Labyrinth of Drakes is the fourth book in the Memoirs of Lady Trent series. There is only one more book to go, and so far I’ve found the series to be consistently entertaining.

This was another fun story and I especially enjoyed some of the discoveries and revelations near the end of the book. I really like the main character Isabella, as well as some of the recurring secondary characters. I don’t think I’ve mentioned this much before, but there is a bit of humor sprinkled throughout the
Mehmet
Oct 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Marie Brennan's approach to the Arab world, or "Akhia," marks a departure from the orientalist attitudes usually expected from Western storytellers. She stays true to the cultural, linguistic and religious aspects of the region, with close attention and regard to the latter; she does not shy away from being inclusive of Islamic sects, no matter how much of a minutiae it might seem to the reader when brought to light. She is accurate and adamantly precise, someone who actually did her homework.
W
Katie
May 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
4.5*
My favourite so far!
Moonlight Reader
I am caught up to the final book, which won't be released until the 25th.

Kitvaria Sarene
4,5 stars

While I really enjoyed this one too, it didn't stick me in just as much as the other the books before. It might be that this one has less expeditions and more stationary work, so it's also less adventure and new cultures, or it might be that dragons in pens just aren't as exciting as ones on the wild.
But Isabellas witty and snarky comments made up for most of that, so I still devoured it on just two days. I am quite glad that I busy found this series now, so I'll only have to wait for b
Aleshanee
May 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: histor-fantasy
Großartige Fortsetzung: Abenteuer in der Wüste, die Forschung nach Drachen geht weiter und es gibt viel Abwechslung und überraschende Entwicklungen - hat mir noch besser gefallen als die Vorgänger :)
Rezension folgt ...
Olga
Jan 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, physical
Another series that gets better with every book. This one was absolutely amazing. 😍
imyril
I'm a long way past objective reviews of these books. I thought Basilisk pandered to me: Marie Brennan was only just warming up. Labyrinth is a rollercoaster of feelings that leaves me so utterly delighted all I can do is sigh happily or squeak with excitement.

Objectively this could be 4 stars but this level of sheer joy demands 5.
Marielle
Aug 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-own
I loved it, again I will write my thoughts later on because I have to go and order #5! What a fantastic series... thanks Julia for recommending it!
Karen A. Wyle
Mar 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-dragons
I'm rounding up again -- but I enjoyed this book in the series as much as any of the others.

The first-class world-building, character development, and plot craftsmanship of this series continue here. The book also showcases, to amusing effect, Isabella's tendency to say what comes into her head without the typical degree of consideration or censorship.

Now I'm stuck in limbo until the next book comes out in April. I could curse as fluently as Isabella at this delay.
Lisa
May 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of those series that just keeps getting better and better as the books go on. For me, the series really kicked into high gear with book three, and this fourth volume is just as great as the third one in my opinion. Sure it doesn’t have the fun of a sea voyage, but the desert setting was quite refreshing. I love how Isabella travels to all parts of the world and we get to see different kinds of environments throughout the time we spend with her on her journeys.

There is a sense of anti
Angela Burkhead
Dec 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
Several years ago, when I received a copy of A Natural History of Dragons, I thought-oh, that looks like an interesting book-and then tucked it under my TBR pile and figured someday I'd get to it.

It took nearly a year to pick the book back up, which was at the same time a blessing and a curse. I absolutely fell in love with Isabella. The story is not simply a textbook style history lesson on dragons as I expected (because I'm notoriously lazy when it comes to reading back cover descriptions).

The
Judith Moore
Apr 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Full review up on my blog: http://bit.ly/2qS5OjU

Last review I said I wanted the romance to be good. AND IT IS. I was sat there in front of my phone screen (thankyou Library ebooks app) just beaming away. This was done so well and so in character for the Lady Trent we have come to love and I’m just so happy for her. If Brennan does what she did in the first book in the final chapter and dashes all my happiness on the rocks I may just have to sob for about a million hours.

The desert setting was al
Blodeuedd Finland
Apr 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This series just has to be read, it is so wonderful. I love the way it's written and the seriousness of it, and not. Like I said you have to read it.

It's a memoir of a famous dragon naturalist. It's a Victorian fantasy setting and there be dragons...

This is then Lady Trent's memoir. And yes sure you could just jump in but don't. The previous books are too good to miss. You have to read them and see her earlier adventures. Her first one. The swamp one. And the last one where she looked at the mig
All Things Urban Fantasy
Marie Brennan has created a literary banquet in the Lady Trent series, with IN THE LABYRINTH OF DRAKES as the piece de resistance. A delicate blend of science, romance, and adventure, this is a book readers will sigh, smile, and clasp to their chests when they're done.

A love song to scientific discovery, personal fortitude, and the romance of discovering an unknown world, IN THE LABYRINTH OF DRAKES brought back all of the excitement of our own world's "ancient history" with a dollop of magic to
Fantasy Literature
Reviewed by Bill and Jana:

In the Labyrinth of Drakes is the fourth book in the MEMOIRS BY LADY TRENT series by Marie Brennan, and in terms of quality I’d place it just behind the second one, The Tropic of Serpents, which so far is my favorite. And if it has a few of the same issues that have detracted from prior books, as always, these are outweighed by the wonderful voice of the narrator, which is really the number one reason for picking up this series.

As has been the pattern, In the Labyrinth
K.
Trigger warnings: does it count as animal cruelty if they're mythical animals?? Also kidnapping, poisoning, murder.

I can't work out if the second one or this one is my favourite thus far. This one is certainly up there, that's for sure. I found it fast paced and compelling from start to finish, where some volumes have dragged at times. I loved the archaeology stuff, and it totally reminded me of Elizabeth Peters' Amelia Peabody series, which is great.

Also, I ship it like whoa. Just saying.
Vilde
Sep 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, shelfie
Once again. I adore Kate Reading's narration of Isabella. I throughly enjoyed the developments in In the Labyrinth of Drakes.
Kater Cheek
Jun 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If this novel had been the same strength as the third one, I would not be eagerly anticipating book #5, but this novel really kicked it up a notch.

Politics play a much larger role in this novel, as Lady Trent and Tom Wilkins work with the Scirling army on a program to try to breed dragons for their bones. As introduced in earlier books, Lady Trent's research directly influences world politics because of the technique for preserving dragon bones and the missing research material for synthesizing
Karissa
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

This is the fourth book in the Lady Trent series and was a wonderful continuation of this series. This series just keeps getting better and better. I love the characters, the adventure, and the alternate history.

I listened to this on audiobook and these audiobooks have been amazingly well done. I would highly recommend listening to these on audiobook if you enjoy audiobooks.

This book sees Lady Trent and Tom employed by the Scirling Army in an effort to start a dragon breeding program. This time

• Valour and Vanity (Glamourist Histories, #4)
  • Sissinghurst: An Unfinished History
  • The Far West (Frontier Magic, #3)
  • The Immune System (Dewey Decimal #3)
  • League of Dragons (Temeraire, #9)
  • Love and Romanpunk
  • Flawless (The Christies, #1)
  • Horizon (Bone Universe, #3)
  • Master of Many Treasures (Pigs Don't Fly, #3)
  • Wisp of a Thing (Tufa, #2)
  • Silverblind (Ironskin #3)
  • Arabella The Traitor of Mars (Adventures of Arabella Ashby, #3)
  • The Rifter Book One: The Shattered Gates (Rifter #1-3)
  • Ha'penny (Small Change, #2)
  • Shoggoths in Bloom and Other Stories
  • The Eye of Zoltar (The Last Dragonslayer, #3)
  • Women Crime Writers: Four Suspense Novels of the 1950s: Mischief / The Blunderer / Beast in View / Fools' Gold
  • A Plunder of Souls (Thieftaker Chronicles, #3)
Marie Brennan is the author of the Doppelganger, Onyx Court, Wilders, and Memoirs of Lady Trent series of fantasy novels. Sign up for her newsletter here!

The Memoirs of Lady Trent (5 books)
  • A Natural History of Dragons (The Memoirs of Lady Trent, #1)
  • The Tropic of Serpents (The Memoirs of Lady Trent, #2)
  • The Voyage of the Basilisk (The Memoirs of Lady Trent, #3)
  • Within the Sanctuary of Wings (The Memoirs of Lady Trent, #5)
“I sometimes imagine there is a clerk behind a desk situated between the brain and the mouth. It is his job to examine utterances on their way out, and stamp them with approval or send them back for reconsideration. If such a clerk exists, mine must be very harried and overworked; and on occasion he puts his head down on the desk in despair, letting things pass without so much as a second glance.” 14 likes
“There's a bit of difference between swimming in shark-infested water because you're trying to retrieve something from the bottom, and staying in just because you're already there and haven't been eaten yet.” 4 likes