Start by marking “The Dark Tower (The Dark Tower #7)” as Want to Read:
The Dark Tower (The Dark Tower #7)

The Dark Tower

(The Dark Tower #7)

4.28  ·  Rating details ·  131,255 ratings  ·  5,287 reviews
The epic journey draws to a close: complete the quest

THE DARK TOWER

You've come this far. Come a little farther. Come all the way. The sound you hear may be the slamming of the door behind you. Welcome to The Dark Tower.

The last masterful chapter of Roland Deschain's relentless quest is a roller-coaster of exhilarating triumph and aching loss. Roland's band of pilgrim/>THE
Mass Market Paperback, 699 pages
Published 2006 by Hodder (first published September 21st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Dark Tower, please sign up.
Jacob Tittle Holy hell! So glad someone feels the same way about that nonsense. Feels like he threw that in there as a way to help close the story easier, no real…moreHoly hell! So glad someone feels the same way about that nonsense. Feels like he threw that in there as a way to help close the story easier, no real value. Still, thoroughly enjoyed the series.(less)
MH B I loved the ending, but got really annoyed at the warning interlude from Stephen King. To me it broke the momentum of the story and was slightly…moreI loved the ending, but got really annoyed at the warning interlude from Stephen King. To me it broke the momentum of the story and was slightly condescending. ''Well you won't like this ending but it is because you readers cannot fully grasp the beauty of story telling''. Argh(less)

·  131,255 ratings  ·  5,287 reviews

Start your review of The Dark Tower (The Dark Tower #7)
Kemper
*sniff* Oh, you surprised me. Is it time for the review? Just a second. What? Crying? Me? Don’t be ridiculous. I was just ….uh…chopping some onions…..and I’ve got a cold….then somebody broke into my kitchen and pepper sprayed me….I certainly wouldn’t be shedding a few manly tears over a Stephen King novel, would I? Oh, fine. You spend almost twenty years reading this series and tell me you got through the conclusion without a lump in your throat. Liar.

Roland and his posse of gunslingers have to wrap u
Jayson
(B+) 79% | Good
Notes: A memorable final hundred pages to a book and series that were highly imaginative but also drawn out and uneven.
Mark Lawrence
Ka is a wheel, my friend.

So, I loved the Dark Tower series. It's one of the best works of fantasy I've read. If you haven't started it:

a) do so
b) don't read the spoilers here

The Dark Tower series is an incredibly varied set of books, written over the course of more than 30 years - written by a young man starting out on a wholly uncertain writing future - written by an old man looking back on a glittering career - and punctuated by all his experiences, di
Jason
WARNING! THIS REVIEW IS FULL OF SPOILERS, ONCE YOU GET PAST THE PART "THE ENDING:". DO NOT READ ON UNLESS YOU WANT IT SPOILED FOR YOU! YOU WERE WARNED!

I finished the Dark Tower last night. I hadn't plannet to, I really needed to get to bed, but once I got so close, I had to continue.

Wow ... hard to find the words, really. (This email will likely be longish)

THE SERIES: I think the Dark Tower series is King's crowning achievement as a writer. He has created a world as rich
Dan Schwent
The 2011 re-read
The quest for the Dark Tower comes to a brutal conclusion. Can Roland and his friends stop the Breakers of Algul Siento, safeguard the Beam, protect the Rose, stop Stephen King from being run down and killed, and reach the Dark Tower?

This is the end of my favorite epic of all time. I'm just going to mark the rest of the review as spoilers. Read at your own risk.
(view spoiler) ...more
Thomas
Aug 01, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: stephen-king
Bookwraiths
Originally reviewed at Bookwraiths Reviews

The quest for the Dark Tower is ending!

All the weary miles, endless deaths, heroic stands, and lost loved ones is finally coming to an end for Roland Deschain of Gilead and his ka-tet.

And the weary but dedicated fan can finally savor that ending. An ending that will somehow, someway tie up all the loose plots and cause all their frustration about the years between novels, the endless lore changes, the confusing multiverse, and even Ste
Emma
Jun 10, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
2.5 stars.
This just fizzled out for me. It wasn't so much the ending itself - the wheel of ka seemed quite apt -so much as the let down of so many loose ends of the story. How events and characters had played such a large part in the story, only to come to almost nothing. I didn't like Stephen King's inclusion in the story. In the previous volume I thought it was quite clever, but in this volume it really read like he'd just run out of ideas and was prepared to throw in any old nonsense in
Jacob Jones-Goldstein
Sep 10, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
It's not just the non-ending. Its the way he spends two books essentially stripping the series of everything good about it and replacing it with trite, poorly done, nudge nudge wink wink garbage.

I waited years to find out how this would all end and to get a hastily done, sloppily written, poorly thought out book, capped with a lecture on how endings suck, swiftly followed by a non-ending is in a lot of ways insulting. I understand King didn't have a lot of desire to finish the series and was ti
Elizabeth Sagan
Mar 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
My first thought was, he lied in every word...
Isn’t it funny? So, you read 7 books (8, if you count The Wind Through The Keyhole), you’re at the end of the last one and you’re wondering how the heck will it end. It’s not about the journey anymore. The journey is over. It’s 110% about the destination. You have no predictions, no clues, no nothing. You can’t even try to guess because your mind is completely empty and all you have are the words you’re reading, page after page after page. It’s like you
Jeff
WARNING!! Although it’s a non-review review, it’s still spoiler-y.

This spoiler-laden review was brought to you by the number 19!

With Special Guest Star: The Eraser

Hi kids! I’m the Eraser. Remember stay in school and don’t do drugs!

The gunslinger waved to his pal, The Eraser, and thanked him for his help in dispatching the Kooky Krazy King of Krimson.

“Thank you, Mr. Eraser!

“That’s The Eraser, you twit!”

“Sorry, Mr. The Eraserhead.”

“Bah. I’ve got the holiday fever. I wonder if there’s an interdimensional door to an alternate universe Festivus celebration or maybe I can return to Batman continuity.”

And
Markus
”The roses of Can'-Ka No Rey opened before him in a path to the Dark Tower, the yellow suns deep in their cups seeming to regard him like eyes.”

Journey’s end approaches, and the last gunslinger at last sets his gaze upon the great shadowy column at the end of the road. Yet dangers still lie in the way, and secrets, and the greatest mystery of all: what lies beyond the gate? What can be found at the top of the Tower?

Reading Stephen King’s Dark Tower series has now been a journey spanning years. It had its upsides and downsi
Kathryn
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

I don't think a sentence has intrigued me more in the literary world. The italicized sentence started the long journey of Roland Deschain of Gilead, line of Eld. And, it finishes King's telling of Roland Deschain's, dan-dinh of the ka-tet, journey.

I'm sitting here, thinking, trying to formulate the right words to say what I need to in this review. It's almost 3 a.m., and I have to be quite honest: this journey has worn me out.
Stepheny
Apr 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Original Buddy Read Review:I almost forgot to include my chap Ryder in this epic buddy read!

He says: Saddle up, pards!

New and Excruciatingly Long-Winded and Passionate Review:

Well, here it is, folks. The end.

We have travelled long and hard. (That’s what she said.) We have had many ups and downs, backward flips, dips, dives, shucks and even a case of good old-fashioned demon rape, say thankya. Say thankya big-bclass="gr-hostedUserImg">
R.K. Gold
Oct 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It took me longer than every other book in the series and I think that’s because I really didn’t want to finish it. It was so nice to have this book to go back to. It was so nice to say I was still working on the dark tower. But it’s over now and I can never again read the dark tower series for the first time, which is fine I suppose since everyone who has read it before knows that once we complete the journey, restarting it is only natural.

I loved this series. I really did. If the p
colleen the convivial curmudgeon
So, the first time I read this book I rated it 3 stars, and that was probably a bit high for it, because I hated the ending. I hated it so much, left such a bad taste in my mouth, that it sort of spoiled my thoughts of the whole series. I wanted to reread it, been meaning to for awhile, since there were details that escaped my memory entirely, but I was afraid to - afraid that I would end up still hating it as much, if not more than before.

(Allow me to specify. (view spoiler) ...more
Paul O'Neill
Feb 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
PFFFTT... What?!? Perfect ending, perfect series (although wizard and glass was a bit of a snooze).

One of those endings where you need to go back and read the whole thing all over again.

Long days and pleasant nights
Brandon
Aug 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Stephen King’s Dark Tower saga comes to a conclusion with the seventh (or eighth if you’re counting “The Wind Through the Keyhole”) and final novel appropriately titled, “The Dark Tower”. In the series’ finale, Roland and his ka-tet draw ever closer to their destiny as the Tower is finally within reach, however, death and destruction lie ahead. Can Roland reach his ultimate destination without paying a heavy price?

It took King nearly twenty-two years to finish the series (from the pu
Evelyn (devours and digests words)
I feel like I'm broken in 10 different places. It's over. It really is over. Roland Deschain of Gilead has finally completed his quest to reach The Dark Tower - none for the better, none for the worse.

There were so much losses, heartbreaks, and blood. SO MUCH BLOOD WAS SHED. And I have suffered through every....damn..... bit .... of......it. Cried my way through too.

When I've patched up all 10 broken pieces of myself, I'll be doing a super lengthy review of the entire Dark Tower ser
Medhat The Book Fanatic
I started my journey with the Dark Tower series on the 26th of July 2017, and now the journey is over.

I am both glad and sad that I am done with the series. Glad, because the journey was too long and I needed to see the end of it. Sad, because I will miss everyone.

The Dark Tower series is an epic tale of chivalry, friendship, adventure, love, and obsession. The tale grows in a very organic way with each book, and with it we see and feel the remarkable change and dev
Josh
Sep 22, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Almost no one. Skip it and imagine your own ending
Shelves: fantasy
Wow, what a major disappointment. The first 4 DT books were great, and some of King’s best works. It's just too bad that King waited so damn long to finish the last 3, and also too bad that he seemed to be in such a rush to do so.

I actually did like #5. It didn't progress Roland's quest to the Tower much, but it was a good story . I quickly went to book 6 and found a fairly boring book, though at least it was shorter. Reluctantly, I picked up book 7. I got halfway through and stopped. Many thin
Andre Gonzalez
Jul 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ok, wow. The ending for this series was everything I could have hoped for. Every loose end from the series is tied up by the end, and we get closure with each of the main character's. Getting to finally "see" the Dark Tower was such a relief, after 6.5 books of searching for it, Mr. King will make you feel as if you're standing at Roland's side the rest of the way. I highly recommend this series as a whole, but would suggest reading a few books before going on this journey: Salem's Lot, It, Inso ...more
Becky
I love this book. This is an amazing and heart-wrenching and appropriate end to this epic series. This book is the culmination of a huge investment, both for author and reader, and it's a draining one. So much is found, and lost, and gained and lost and it makes me heartsore.

As much as I love this book, I always hit a point on re-reads where I just stall. Not because the book is bad (it's most absolutely definitely assuredly not), but because after taking this journey with these characters I lo
Kandice
Oct 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
2016 -
I just finished my year-long quest to read everything Dark Tower and listen to everything DT I could find on audio. There is a very different feel to the tale when read to you by someone else. I loved it, but sadly, the final CD broke about halfway through. Weird, right? I think it may have been God's way of telling me to read the end, not listen. That brings up a very interesting thing that just occurred to me.

I don't want to spoil anything, but for those who have read it (and h
Timothy Urges
Andy
Aug 31, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who wants to be let down hard.
Shelves: horror-thriller
Okay, I worked thru all seven of these "Dark Tower" Books because the first one was short and sweet and really caught my interest. And because they were "non-King-like" compared to his other books (which I don't particularly like). While a few of the books in this series are pretty good, they are hardly comparable to the Lord of the Rings, which I'm not a big fan of either. But I can tell really good story-telling from wandering around.
Of the previous six books in this series, they had some truly mem
Jenny Baker
I finished! One of my reading challenges this year was to read the entire Dark Tower series and I did it! For me, this series was mostly a three-star read, except The Gunslinger (book #1) and Wizard & Glass (book #4) were both four-star reads. Overall, this isn’t my favorite series or my favorite work from Stephen King, but I still enjoyed it and I’m glad I finally read it. This series would have been exceptional if it has been one book at about 1,000 pages rather than eight books at 4,603 p ...more
Ana
INITIAL IMPRESION
Damn it, I knew this would happen.

I can't believe this ended. I was 16 when I started this series. Two years later, I managed to own all the seven books plus "The Wind Through The Keyhole", even though four of them are in Romanian and four in English.

Now, with this installment finished... a part of my heart will relocate itself on the shelf on which they are placed. And every time I will pick up the series for another read I will find myself, aged 16 and in love, between its
Chris_P
Jun 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Re-read September 2016

It's been 8 years since I first read The Dark Tower series and I was impressed by how little I remembered. What I never forgot though, was how it made me feel and there was no difference in that the second time round. The last installment of the series is full to the brim with all kinds of sentiments and mostly an overwhelming sense of the approaching end. It's known from the start that the mission to enter the Tower is Roland's alone but knowing doesn't make it the least b
Karl Marberger
Jan 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, horror
BAM!

What can I say? Ka comes full circle and I say thankya.

This series was one heck of a ride, and an amazing ending.

HIGHLY recommend!
Stephen King Fans: The Storied Ending **Dark Tower Series Spoilers* 228 1871 Nov 16, 2019 01:21PM
My favorite book 1 3 Aug 29, 2019 08:30AM
Randal Flagg 1 4 Jul 07, 2019 12:58AM
#RetoTorreOscura: La Torre Oscura VII: La Torre Oscura 4 27 Jun 10, 2019 08:24PM
Stephen King Fans: Dark Tower #7- The Dark Tower - Apr 2018 2 30 Apr 02, 2018 10:56AM
Stephen King Fans: In Case Anyone Is Interested 20 100 Mar 19, 2018 02:21AM

• The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger Born
  • The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger - The Journey Begins
  • The Road to the Dark Tower: Exploring Stephen King's Magnum Opus
  • The Regulators
  • The Stand : No Man's Land (The Stand. #5)
  • The Dark Tower: Fall of Gilead
  • The Running Man
  • NOS4A2
  • The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger - The Battle of Tull

The Dark Tower (8 books)
  • The Gunslinger (The Dark Tower, #1)
  • The Drawing of the Three (The Dark Tower, #2)
  • The Waste Lands (The Dark Tower, #3)
  • Wizard and Glass (The Dark Tower, #4)
  • The Wind Through the Keyhole (The Dark Tower, #4.5)
  • Wolves of the Calla (The Dark Tower, #5)
  • Song of Susannah (The Dark Tower, #6)
“And will I tell you that these three lived happily ever after? I will not, for no one ever does. But there was happiness. And they did live.” 689 likes
“A coward judges all he sees by what he is.” 287 likes