Start by marking “The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck: A Counterintuitive Approach to Living a Good Life” as Want to Read:

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  388,508 ratings  ·  26,443 reviews
Alternate cover edition of ISBN 9780062457738

In this generation-defining self-help guide, a superstar blogger cuts through the crap to show us how to stop trying to be "positive" all the time so that we can truly become better, happier people.

For decades, we’ve been told that positive thinking is the key to a happy, rich life. "F**k positivity," Mark Manson says. "Let’s be
Published September 13th 2016 by Harper

To ask other readers questions about The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck, please sign up.
Jenniferdawson You've answered your own question. I agree with the author that my life is an example of what I did and did not give a fuck about. I, too, decided…moreYou've answered your own question. I agree with the author that my life is an example of what I did and did not give a fuck about. I, too, decided money was not important and guess what? Yep, was broke. Now I dare to care about money but more importantly I give a F$CK about how I make it more = no dilemma and not broke. I now own two start-ups that are radical in nature + go against what a lot of people thought would be successful. I did not give a f@ck about what they thought or about the money only about getting my product made and to market. It worked.(less)
Rex Hodges Don't waste your time or money. Manson, like other comedians, uses F-Bomb for shock factor. GAF is nothing more than setting priorities. He is Tony…moreDon't waste your time or money. Manson, like other comedians, uses F-Bomb for shock factor. GAF is nothing more than setting priorities. He is Tony Robbins knock off. He tells a dad who lost his son to just shake it off, that we all have problems, where the worst thing he has ever experienced was getting busted for dealing pot in high-school(less)

·  388,508 ratings  ·  26,443 reviews

Start your review of The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck: A Counterintuitive Approach to Living a Good Life
Clumsy Storyteller
Masterpiece, incredibly funny. i don't usally go for self help books cause to me they are all the same! Smile more, love more, hate less, don't give up, it's gonna be okay, it's all in your head. Blah blah blah.... but this one was the exception. Anything with curse words on the cover picks my interest :P The first half of it was my favorite, the aim of this book is to help the reader to think a little bit more clearly about what they’re choosing to find important in life and what they’re ...more
Kevin Kelsey
Jan 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Worries, Fretters, and Stressers
Posted at Heradas

Sort of an anti self-help book, meaning that it actually contains a useful philosophy, which is (mostly) just Buddhism/Stoicism dressed up a little for millennials. It's not as douchey as the title would have you think, and it's very entertaining. There's a lot of cross-over with Carl Sagan's The Demon-Haunted World, surprisingly. A lot of good advice for those, like me, who over-stress themselves about mostly nothing at all. I really loved it; I'll probably circle back to it a
Mary Monaghan
Oct 02, 2016 rated it it was ok
I started out liking this book, I really did. By the time I was halfway in, his smug attitude about things he frankly knows jack shit about were getting on my nerves. He made some excellent points, all of which have been made countless times by other, more competent writers. Read Sartre, Camus, Siddhartha by Herman Hesse, and various Buddhist texts instead. Regurgitating Eastern philosophy and existentialism while swearing a lot only gets you so far. I stopped reading and returned this book.
Lenore
Feb 08, 2017 rated it did not like it
What a load of self-indulgent, sexist codswallop.
Amy Joseph
Mar 22, 2017 rated it it was ok
Have you ever been in a bar and had a know-it-all tell you everything you need to know about life without any evidence to back up what he's saying? That's what this book felt like.
Val ⚓️ Shameless Non-Snowflake ⚓️
If you follow my reviews/blog at all, you probably already know that I am already a zero fucks given kind of gal when it comes to, well, bullshit.

In fact, my best friend had the below picture as my contact photo in his phone for years.

description

So it should come as no surprise that I, like many, was drawn to this book, 1) Because it has the word "fuck" in the title. Duh. And, 2) Because it's bright fucking orange.

That said, the chum was in the water for me already based on that alone.

But when I got to
libbyscreen
Dec 28, 2016 rated it did not like it
I'm not actually done yet, but this book is becoming more problematic by the page. In re: false memories and page 128: False memories are absolutely a thing. But when the example you use to illustrate this fact is a 1980's feminist who falsely accused her father of abuse and you follow up with "in the early 1980s and 1990s hundreds of innocent people were wrongly accused of sexual violence under similar circumstances. Many of them went to prison for it" you are being supremely irresponsible. The ...more
Cheri
Jul 31, 2017 rated it did not like it
Definitely written by and for straight, white, entitled males. I have no fucks to give for this book or the author.
Jaclyn Salem
Mar 07, 2017 rated it did not like it
I knew after the first chapter that I probably wasn't the intended audience for this book. Most of it was sort of a "duh" for me, but I continued on in hopes I would learn something new...WOW, this author is SO self-indulgent. He misses no opportunity to remind us about what a complete "fuckboi" he was in his twenties. The problem with this is that his tone (and the fact that he brings it up over and over and over and over again) makes it sound like it is almost a point of pride rather than ...more
Jen
May 23, 2016 rated it it was ok
Based on the title, I was pretty stoked for this, and the introductory essay explaining the author's Not Giving a F*ck theory made a lot of sense to me and made me really happy. Essentially, he says that the internet and the media demand that we give a f*ck about everything, but we only have so much time on Earth and so many f*cks to give and we have to choose who and what we spend those f*cks on.

Makes sense.

Unfortunately, the rest of the book turns into the same self-help drivel you see in any
Jo
Jan 10, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bleh, non-fiction
Has anybody been unfortunate enough to be sitting in a pub, enjoying a quiet meal, and out of nowhere, a rather drunk individual parks himself beside you, and then just doesn't stop talking about life and everything HE thinks that you should be doing, but without any solid proof to back himself up? I have, and this book by Mark Manson made me feel like I was back in that pub, but with an even dodgier individual attempting to give me life lessons.

Seeing this book for the first time, I'll admit,
Erin
Mar 03, 2017 rated it did not like it
I don't read self-help. I simply don't believe in the self-help genre. If you need a book to help you live your life you have bigger problems than whatever brought you to that book. That may seem harsh but its just my opinion and you are free to ignore it.

Since I don't read self-help, you may be asking "Erin, Why did you read this book?
Blame Popsugar. I'm doing the Popsugar 2017 Reading challenge and needed to read a book from a genre I don't usually read. As you can see if you look at my book
Kenny
Mar 12, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: transformational
“Giving too many fucks is bad for you.”
The Subtle Art of Not Giving a Fuck, Mark Manson

Where to begin?

Well for starters, Mark Manson is a real douche. There has never been a better husband than Mark Manson. Why? He doesn't put up with bullshit. If his wife looks like shit he tells her. He won't tolerate her looking bad no matter how much time she has spent getting ready to go out.

And we must take note of how edgy Manson is. He actually figured out you can remove the word care and replace it
Nat
Nov 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
I went into this admittedly with quite some skepticism and entitlement— “what is this going to teach me that I don’t already know?”— but The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck is truly one of the most ground-shaping nonfiction books I’ve read so far. It will and can change a perspective, a life. And as such, this is the perfect book to give to your loved ones on holidays, birthdays...

It made me rethink all the times I ever gave a fuck over some of the most irrelevant things in hindsight. It made me
Pat
Mar 03, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2k17
you think you're getting a light, irreverent lifestyle/self-help book, but then it's actually just a few good ideas taken from Buddhism and then mixed in with conservative nonsense about "snowflakes," mixed with some casual misogyny and backdoor bragging. A book only a white straight man with rich parents could write.
Anne
Jan 18, 2018 rated it liked it
My, my! What a catchy title!

description

I wanted to see what all the hype was about, so I picked this up. And now that I'm done? Well, I agree with everything Manson says, but (like other reviewers have mentioned) everything he's written about is common sense stuff.
Is that revolutionary?
Maybe.
What does it say about our society in general that any of what he's saying is...well, remotely necessary to say!?
When the basic premise of a bestseller is that you should stop comparing yourself to what you see on
Sinead
Dec 28, 2016 rated it did not like it
Ego driven rantings

Wish I could say I couldn't give a fu#k about spending 10.99 on this serious heap of rubbish, but yes, i do give a fu#k that this ego driven, talentless author swindled me out of money for a heap of rubbish.

He is probably having a great old laugh at the fact that his mantra `dont try` has resulted in an awful written book, full of cliches, calling reader `dumbass`, referring to us wanting to feel jennifer aniston`s t#ts , and bigging himself up generally. He probably finds
Lyn
Jul 14, 2017 rated it liked it
A lot of necessary to hear hard truths.

There is a distinction between what the title implies and what Manson intends. Manson is essentially inviting us to only care about what’s important and let the rest take care of itself.

I’ve been accused of indifference or “living in a bubble” for years because I don’t follow politics and rarely watch the news. My mantra is the serenity prayer:

God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know
Federico DN
Jul 29, 2019 rated it liked it
(Audiobook)

It's not about not giving a f*ck about anything, it's about giving a f*ck about the things that matter most. In essence, the question is, should I really give a f*ck?

This is sort of an anti-hero self-help book, something you should read (or hear) if you feel the world weighing up a little bit too much. It just unburdens you of some stuff. No real groundbreaking philosophy, just a couple of useful hints and insights on how to take things more lightly, when taking them seriously is
Christy
Jun 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
4 stars!

no fucks given gif photo: oie_31195625Ti1d9pHa.gif

This book wasn't only about giving no fucks, it was about giving fucks about only the important things. If you're going to read it, I would recommend the audio book. I thought the narration was great and it was highly entertaining and made me laugh out loud more than once!!
Trevor
Jun 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: psychology, humour
My sister asked me to get her this and I’ve read it as well. It is basically the Buddha and Sartre giving advice by saying fuck every other word. Not a terrible thing, in itself, but a bit like seeing a play where all the actors are naked, the swearing loses its impact after about the third fuck, and then you’re just left with the advice.

I don’t normally read self-help books – the problem I have with them is the first word, more than the second. We generally all need some sort of help, but that
Chance Lee
Oct 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who wants to live in reality
Shelves: favorites, true-story
I'm not one for self-help books, but this one spoke to me: "The desire for more positive experience is itself a negative experience. And, paradoxically, the acceptance of one's negative experience is itself a positive experience."

I don't know how to review this book without typing out the whole book, so I'm going to try something different: to be brief. This book provides support for someone who wants to live in reality, someone who doesn't want to buy into our national capitalist mindset that
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)

DNF at 29%

By the end of chapter 1, I was OD'ing on the word fuck.

Unbelievably improbable as it sounds, my best friend Kara Gillian has nothing on this guy here. And that, my Little Barnacles, is saying a whole bloody fucking lot.

By the end of chapter 2, I'd had it with Mark Manson's smug, narcissistic, sanctimonious, clichéd-to-death-and-back, infantilizing, everyone-but-me-is-a-fucking complete-dumbass, self-indulgent, shamelessly-repackaged-Eastern-philsophy-for-nitwits rubbish hogwash
Nenia ⚡ Aspiring Evil Overlord ⚡ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

Psychological snake oil for the pseudo intellectual.

Man, reading this book was so frustrating, because I'd heard so many good things. Some people told me that this book was life-changing, game-changing, and then one of my co-workers gave it to me and I thought, "Cool, bring it on. I'm ready to hand out fuck-wafers like it's time for the Sunday Communion of Nobody-Gives-A-Damn." After reading this book, I've come to the conclusion that the
myra
Mar 08, 2019 rated it did not like it
The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck: About This Book!
Hamad
Jan 01, 2019 rated it liked it
This review and other non-spoilery reviews can be found @The Book Prescription

“Life is essentially an endless series of problems. The solution to one problem is merely the creation of another.”

I am not a big fan of Self Help books to be honest. I try to avoid them as much as possible. I just believe that we all have different experiences and we will learn by trying. I also believe that most of what those Self help books are saying is just so obvious and I don’t need to read about it to know
Jessi ♥️ H. Vojsk
Oct 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing

Oh, wow. I loved this.
I really really loved this.
I loved that this was so... freely written. Who cares if there are tons of curses in it?
Everything he says or teaches us is always followed or introduced with a personal or historical story. There are always examples, stories, explanations that are not overly complicated. The whole book was full of honest, true and really interesting stuff.

These were my favorite:
- Not giving a fuck does not mean being indifferent, it means being comfortable
Sid
Apr 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
Should we give a f*ck?
How to give a f*ck?
When and when not to give a f*ck!
The intensity and frequency of giving a f*ck
and what would be the effect of giving a f*ck?
All of this is explained in this book!
The author describes his view of how to deal life in the easiest and most beneficial way possible, by quoting examples from his own life.
On a very light note, we are told by this book how to focus our energies on things that matter to us in the long run!
I found the second half much better,
Lola
Jan 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-help, psychology
I don't recall how many times I failed to feel motivated to read a book for school or start an assignment but did it anyways because of a sense of duty, being a student and all. Surprisingly, oftentimes, I ended up getting ''into'' whatever action I was performing that I initially wanted to avoid. So I agree that action can bring about inspiration which can lead to motivation.
Bonny
Sep 22, 2016 rated it it was ok
I think The Subtle Art... might have had more impact upon me if I was 20-something instead of 59-years-old. The language isn't really an issue (it just becomes another word that doesn't even seem to have much meaning); it's more that Manson is repetitive and doesn't offer anything original that most people haven't learned for themselves in a few decades of experience. For me, the same ideas are expressed much more elegantly, cogently, and thoroughly in The Antidote: Happiness for People Who ...more
Future Recommendations 7 192 Jan 08, 2020 07:28PM
Welcome to the Club! (Logistics) 1 10 Dec 28, 2019 09:53PM
Is honesty a great virtue? 9 144 Aug 26, 2019 12:08AM

• Night of the Rat
  • Love Lies: A True Story of Marriage and Murder in the Suburbs
  • Red Russia
  • Assuming Names: A Con Artist's Masquerade
  • How to Win Friends and Influence People
  • Forgotten Bones (Dead Remaining #1)
  • De Amerikaanse prinses
  • White Rose, Black Forest
  • The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People: Powerful Lessons in Personal Change
  • The Ragged Edge of Night
  • The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business
  • Maybe You Should Talk to Someone: A Therapist, Her Therapist, and Our Lives Revealed
  • Zero to One: Notes on Startups, or How to Build the Future
  • What the Wind Knows
  • The Tipping Point: How Little Things Can Make a Big Difference
  • Rich Dad, Poor Dad
  • The 4-Hour Workweek
Mark Manson (born 1984) is a professional blogger, entrepreneur, and former dating coach. Since 2007, he's been helping people with their emotional and relationship problems. He has worked with thousands of people from over 30 different countries.

He regularly writes and updates his blog at: www.markmanson.net
“Who you are is defined by what you’re willing to struggle for.” 653 likes
“You and everyone you know are going to be dead soon. And in the short amount of time between here and there, you have a limited amount of fucks to give. Very few, in fact. And if you go around giving a fuck about everything and everyone without conscious thought or choice—well, then you’re going to get fucked.” 433 likes