Start by marking “Garnet's Story (The Lone City #1.25)” as Want to Read:
Garnet's Story (The Lone City #1.25)

Garnet's Story

(The Lone City #1.25)

In The Jewel and The White Rose, we follow Violet in her servitude under the Duchess of the Lake. Now we’ll hear the Duchess’s son, Garnet’s, story in this digital novella—a companion story to the New York Times bestselling Lone City trilogy.

Garnet, the son of the Duchess of the Lake, has always been a spoiled playboy. But now, for the first time, Garnet is beginning to re
Published September 13th 2016 by HarperTeen

This was an okay novella, although as it was just a retelling of certain parts of the first book from Garnet’s point of view I did find it a bit repetitive and dull. (view spoiler)

6 out of 10
Dannii Elle
This is the third of four short stories surrounding the Lone City trilogy. It details Garnet, son and heir of the House of the Lake, in the days preceding and directly after the addition of Violet as surrogate to his house.

I ended up enjoying this far more than the first full-length series instalment, The Jewel. A large portion of this was a repetition of scenes from the first book but they really added to my understanding rather than becoming repetitive. It illuminated exactly why and how some
Melissa **Just Really Loves Musicals**
*3.5 stars*
I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this. Nothing amazing, of course, butThis was a great recap of book 1, told from Garnet's point of view, and it really helped jog my memory. It's been almost 2 months since I read The Jewel, and I don't know when I'll get the chance to pick up The White Rose, hopefully soon, but I'm glad I picked this up as it cleared up a lot of confusion about Garnet, and affirmed my thoughts that I much prefer him to Ash. Excited for the rest of this series now
Tanja
Nov 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ich finde diese Kurzgeschichte aus Garnets Sicht sehr interessant. Garnet wächst einem noch mehr ans Herz.
Jackie
Oct 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Rating: 4 out of 5 stars
As with The House of the Stone, I really liked getting to see a different point of view in Ewing's world. More than anything, I liked getting to know a little more about Garnet--what drives him, his personality, and what he was thinking all those times he appeared drunk. Even though the book took the same path as The Jewel, it was interesting because it was shown through the point of view of the royalty and gave an inside look into what their overall beliefs on surrogates
Annika Bibbidi- Bobbidi Book
Ein wirklich gelungener Zusatzband, in welchem ich nochmal richtig in den ersten Teil und die Geschichte eintauchen konnte. Da ich gerne besonders sympathisch mit seiner rebellischen Art fand, war dies wirklich toll aufgemacht.
Sandra "Jeanz"
Sep 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dystopian, must-read
INITIAL THOUGHTS
I totally adore this series and the characters within it. I will be fascinated to see events through the eyes of Garnet as he is considered to be in a good position within the class hierarchy in the book, but it is also obvious that he is really quite deeply affected by the events occurring around him.

THOUGHTS WHILST READING
Will I enjoy revisiting the Lone City and seeing events through the eyes of the rather selfish character of Garnet.

COVER COMMENTS
There are two covers for this
Katy Mulvaney
May 27, 2017 rated it did not like it
I was beyond disappointed to read this. Garnet as a secret member of the Resistance had the potential to be the best and most exciting character -- and a true surprise at the end of a very formulaic book. Garnet's messy romantic liaisons and party boy attitude is not only a brilliant cover for starting a revolution underneath his disgusted mother's nose, but it would suggest my favorite theory of the book (that I suspect we're not getting) that the Surrogates have been seeding the children with ...more
Yv
Jan 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Ik hou dus helemaal niet van novella's en korte verhalen, maar dit was wat mij betreft wel echt een uitzondering! Het is niet zozeer een kort verhaal, maar wel een mooie aanvulling op het eerste boek, vanuit een ander gezichtspunt. Ik heb gelijk meteen een heel ander gevoel over Garnet :).
Op naar het verhaal van Raven :D. Hopelijk lukt die vanavond nog, want wil morgen dolgraag met The White Rose beginnen! Ook 3,5* deze.
Colleen
Nov 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
I knew in The Jewel that there was something about Garnet. I already like him in the first book but I didn't expect to really like him even more.
Alina
Nov 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Tolle Kurzgeschichte. Nur ich hab sie viel zu spät gelesen. Garnet mochte ich in den anderen Bücher nicht so sehr aber hier lernt man ihn richtig kennen. Seine Fassade ist doch nicht so stabil, wie er dem äußeren Anschein nach zu urteilen vorgibt.

Trotzdem sehr lesenswert nach dem 2 Band der Juwel Trilogie. 😉😉
Shannon
Oct 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a great novella and a nice addition to the series. I like novellas like this that keep me engaged in a series while I'm waiting for the next book or give me interesting information. I've always liked Garnet's character, but we don't know much about him other than he's kind of a rich, spoiled, playboy, who likes to annoy his mother the Duchess of the Lake. It turns out there is more to him and his life than partying and causing trouble. The House of the Lake is one of the original Royal ...more
Gervan
Oct 28, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: owned-books
I really would have preferred a novella about the Duchess of the Lake tbh.

This was a good recap of The Jewel from Garnet's perspective but... I don't really care about Garnet at this point in the series. Nonetheless, I had planned on rereading The White Rose and this put me in a good position to do that. It just didn't really add much perspective to the overall story for me.
E.
Nov 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Just love Garnet
Rebecca
Sep 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviews
This short novella showcases Garnet in all his mischievous glory. It largely tells the same story as The Jewel, in part, but from Garnet's perspective instead of Violet's so you can see what the "bad boy" Prince is really like. You absolutely have to have read The Jewel before you read this novella, it's full of spoilers.

Whilst it might seem a bit repetitive to basically read the same story again just with a slightly different spin on it, it's actually not that noticeable - Garnet has somehow g
Maddison
May 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
I loved this little novella from Garnet's perspective!! It's really cool seeing how Garnet's been a part of the whole thing since the beginning, and only because he was blackmailed into it. I liked the insight into how he sees Annabelle, and what he will do to protect his reputation, (view spoiler) I like his trait of loyalty and protectiveness, and the way he will still (view spoiler) ...more
leben.lachen.lesen
Alles in allem hat mir die Kurzgeschichte gut gefallen, da sie mir die Entwicklung von Garnet aufjedenfall näher bringen konnte. Bei der Hauptgeschichte hatte ich immer die selbe Frage im Hinterkopf "wie konnte Lucien Garnet dazu überreden Violet zu helfen?", durch den näheren Einblick in Garnets Leben konnte mir dieses Frage aufjedenfall beantwortet werden.
Jedoch hätte ich mir auch hier gewünscht das die Geschichte länger ist (ähnlich wie beim Haus vom Stein), da mir einige Bindungen zu den Pro
Amal
May 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
I found this author referenced in an article about The Handmaid's Tale and downloaded the first book.

It is a great premise, a great series. I read the first one in one night and proceeded to download and read all of the others including the novellas.

The only thing stopping these books from being 5 stars is a shaky character development on the secondary characters. In some parts of the series, they are quite important, their motivations, needs, wants. Even their understanding of the world aroun
Cara Noyes
Jun 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
I am glad I read this AFTER reading White Rose.
I love how this novella is told from Garnet's point of view.
He is royalty, but it is not until Lucien's blackmail and later his own engagement that Garnet begins to see the flaws in his society. Yes, he has always been a bored bad boy, but now he is developing a conscience.
Thank you Amy Ewing for creating this universe of interesting characters. Lone City is the highlight of my summer reading so far.
#LCLSummer
Jennifer Green
Aug 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
As with the House of Stone novella, this one fits nicely into the series and gives a glimpse into something we missed which is interesting. I always wanted more Garnet, and here we have it. I would actually have loved this side story to be longer and give us a bit more of his story to show us how he fell for Raven but maybe that's coming.
Jade
Jul 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ready to read again~

I had to say, this hands down explained Garnet to me. I thought there was more to him. To his story and I’m glad I decided to read this! It not only explained his mind but the inter-workings of the world that the author created. Other than the semi-fast pace I have no complaints.
Kierstin
Apr 27, 2018 rated it liked it
I really like Garnet. He is an intriguing character. I think there is more to him that wasn't shown in this book. I'm sure there is a reason he acts out and it has to be more than just to annoy his mom. So I wish she went more into the deep aspects of him, but at least we know why he has an arcana linked to Violet's.
Jeraca
Oct 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-but-unowned
Reading Garnet's story really reminded me of how much he had changed throughout the series - probably the one character that changed the most to be honest. I didn't like him at the beginning of the series, but came to really enjoy him toward the end, so reading his story brought back all of the unlikable feelings.
Jenny Eulenmatz
May 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Ein tolle Ergänzung zu Amy Ewings Reihe "Das Juwel". Man erfährt mehr über Garnet und bekommt im Schnelldurchlauf nochmal eine Zusammenfassung vom ersten Teil. Ich würde daher empfehlen die Geschichte vor dem zweiten Band zu lesen, wenn der erst schon etwas zurück liegt. Ich ziehe ein Stern ab, weil 10% der Geschichte die Leseprobe für den dritten Teil sind.
Katharine Lancaster
Oct 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: the-lone-city
Hannah Thomas
Jan 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
I thought it was good change to see the story in someone else's eyes. There are a lot of scenes repeated from the first book The Jewel; however, just seeing it in Garnet's eyes, you see him "open up" his eyes to the world. (I was always curious to how became a role in Violet's life.)
Marilyn
Jun 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
The last novella out for the series.

It was a good read. Enjoyed it a lot more than "Sil's Story".
Always nice to see a bit of background in some of the characters. Hoping Garnet features a bit of a bigger role in the final book "The Black Key".
Jamie Coudeville
I should read this closer to when I read the last book, that's my bad. I don't really remember many details from the books but I'm glad to have gotten this look at Garnet. I think I've now officially finished this series.
Martyna
Nov 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
W tej nowelce wreszcie mamy okazję zrozumieć, dlaczego i jak się zmienił Garnet. Bardzo polecam, by czytając mieć przy sobie pierwszą część, by sprawdzać wszystkie wydarzenia, także z perspektywy Violet. Nowelka warta przeczytania.
Tally
Dec 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
By far my favourite character and the only reason I kind of like this series.
  • A Little Taste of Poison (Uncommon Magic, #2)
  • Perfect (Flawed, #2)
  • Seas (Wendy Darling, #2)
  • Mark of the Plague (The Blackthorn Key, #2)
  • Mind Games (Lock & Mori, #2)
  • The Odds of Lightning
  • Rose & Thorn (Ash & Bramble, #2)
  • The Cursed Queen (The Impostor Queen, #2)
  • The Great Pursuit (Eurona Duology, #2)
  • Rebellion (The Elysium Chronicles, #3)
  • Untitled (Annex, #3)
  • Order of the Wicked (Dorothy Must Die, #0.7)
  • I'm Not Your Manic Pixie Dream Girl
  • Spindle
  • Metaltown
  • Count All Her Bones (Girl, Stolen, #2)
  • Swarm (Zeroes, #2)
  • The Peculiar Night of the Blue Heart
Amy Ewing is the young adult author of The Jewel, the first in a trilogy from HarperTeen, coming out September 2014.

She grew up in a small town outside Boston, where her librarian mother instilled a deep love of reading at a young age. Amy moved to New York City in 2000 to study theater at New York University. Unfortunately, her acting career didn’t quite pan out. She worked in restaurants, as an

The Lone City (3 books)
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
  • The White Rose (The Lone City, #2)
  • The Black Key (The Lone City, #3)
“I feel like I'm seeing a sparrow in a cage, something young and innocent trapped by grasping hands.
And I think that perhaps my own cage is simply larger than hers, so large I have never been fully aware of its edges.”
4 likes
“What?" I demand, too tired and frazzled to be polite. "Did you think I didn't care? Do you think I'm not human?"
"No," he replies. "I think you are royal.”
3 likes