Start by marking “The Lost Pony of Riverdale (The Riverdale Pony Stories, Volume 1)” as Want to Read:
The Lost Pony of Riverdale (The Riverdale Pony Stories, Volume 1)

The Lost Pony of Riverdale

(The Riverdale Pony Stories #1)

When pony-mad Poppy McKeever is told her family is moving from their beloved home in Twickenham to an old cottage on Dartmoor, it feels like everything she has ever known has been thrown into turmoil.
The eleven-year-old is reluctant to leave the city until she discovers that their new home comes complete with its own pony.
But life at Riverdale is not as straightforward as
Published June 9th 2015 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform (first published November 15th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Lost Pony of Riverdale, please sign up.
Amanda Wills Hi Mandy,
Hi Mandy,
That's a great question. When I originally wrote Lost Pony it was definitely aimed at the 8 to 12 age group because I wanted to re-create the kind of pony books I loved when I was that age. But as time has gone on I've come to realise that the books are also enjoyed by nostalgic older readers, too. I didn't want to classify it as teen fiction or YA as I'm not sure it would fit either category, so middle grade seemed the best fit. But maybe it needs a re-think. Thanks for taking the time to ask and I hope you have enjoyed the Riverdale books.
All the best,
Amanda Wills(less)

Start your review of The Lost Pony of Riverdale (The Riverdale Pony Stories, Volume 1)
Pennie
Mar 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A romp of a read! Excitement & adventure abound. Imaginative writing will have any pony mad girl hooked (& quite a few grown up girls as well). I look forward to the sequel. ...more
Clare O'Beara
Poppy and her dad, stepmother and half-brother aged six, move to Devon. Poppy is sure she'll be unhappy until she is promised the old pony that comes with the house, which brightens her outlook, only to discover that Chester is a donkey. I found this so funny and I could see a lot more humour in the tale, like young Charlie's dedication to tracking a big cat loose on the tors. Poppy initially comes across as ungrateful and spiteful, accusing her stepmother of lying. I thought she should have bee ...more
Deloomey
G.G.
May 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This cute little story brought me back to my childhood when all I wanted to read were stories about horses. This one had it all: a pony in danger, a child who is unsure of the love of her stepmother, a beautiful English countryside and of course like all middle grade book should have, a wonderful ending.

Highly recommend for MG and horse lovers.
Belinda
4,25 stars - Amazon Kindle ebook - I have dyslexia-
But eleven year old Poppy knew from bitter experience how someone life could turned upside down in a heartbeat. -
Lovely childrensbook for Ponylovers. Poppy had a hard start in life. Her mum died in an accident and she Blames herself. And then her father remarried and had a son, and on top of that the move cross country out of London to the Dartmoor countryside! The last thing of her mother, the house in London is taken from Poppy. But in the ne
Elaine tierney
Jul 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant

The story stricksyou in and it's like you are in the middle of it all . I recamend it to all animal lovers
Nazneen
Jun 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is pretty close to my heart though it has some flaws.. I would not like to give spoilers. The book has the right amount of drama and morality.
It is more on a realistic side. Overall this is a short review and it is amazing .
Hannah
According to Amazon this book is aimed at 9-12 year olds so at 22 I'm well outside the target age range but I loved the story and although it was a quick read it didn't feel childish. It reminded me of the pony stories I loved as a child, but the unlike many of them there are plenty of events that aren't connected to ponies at all and I found them just as engaging as the pony parts.

Poppy's little brother Charlie sometimes sounds a little older than six, but the characters are all well drawn and
Rachael Eliker
Sep 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Lost Pony of Riverdale was a fantastic book--it had complex and interesting characters, suspense, real life problems many readers could relate to and the author knows her ponies. It was a quick read and though it is aimed at a younger audience, I thoroughly enjoyed the plot. Looking forward to reading what adventures Poppy and Cloud have next! Would highly recommend this book and this author for all horse lovers.
J.
Jan 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
A delightful tweenage novel for horse-crazy girls, starring a cast of complex and fully-developed characters, and the author nails a perfect 10 ending. Without dropping any spoilers, let's say that if things had worked out the way Poppy and I hoped, it wouldn't have been as good a book. But a splendid twist at the climax takes care of everything. Well done and a fun, relaxing read. Five strong stars.
Christine Meunier
May 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016, horse-series
The first in this series, the cover of The Lost Pony of Riverdale really caught my attention! It is well designed and features a gorgeous grey horse on the front, depicting Cloud in the story.

Eleven year old Poppy is distraught to learn that her father and stepmother have decided to move the family onto an old farm, far from her current home. Poppy is insistent they cannot move... read more at http://equus-blog.com/lost-pony-river...
Eileen Carter
Good book

This book is sure to be a pleasure to any young girl who loves ponies and mysteries. It has lots of adventure and the writing is wonderful. You feel as if you are right there with poppy.
Gabyrella
Feb 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 0grandmapatricia
Excellent!

I highly recommend this book for youngsters. It is engaging with interesting, engaging, and realistic children. The plot is engrossing, with emotion, events, and people interaction. A good read!
K.L.
Jan 19, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids, pony
Really sweet with shades of Jinny. A horse crazy girl finds a pony on the Dartmoor moors. Charlie (her brother) is a great little character
Mrs Anna Menon/ Mr Satish Menon
so far book is good
but what is going in this story
nic
Apr 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book. Maybe a bit kiddy but still kept me wanting to read!
Makayla Denise Lash
I love this book

Amanda's writing has really inspired me to start riding horses. So now I have my own pony named Snowflake. And we go riding on a trail every Monday and Thursday.
Kelly
Jul 06, 2017 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Good

Good book that keeps you hooked from changing the point of view of different character.

Would recommended it for young children
Angie
Oct 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Synopsis: "Poppy McKeever is reluctant to move to an old cottage on Dartmoor - until she discovers that her new home comes complete with its own pony.

But life at Riverdale is not as straight-forward as it seems, especially when Poppy spies a flash of white in the woods next to the cottage.

Her stepmother Caroline is acting strangely and her adrenalin-junkie brother Charlie is on the hunt for big cats. But will Charlie's obsession drive the two children into dangerous territory?

And when Poppy i
Melody Oakerson
Jan 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A girl and their equine BBF, match made in heaven.

Such a sweet "tail" about the hard stages of youth when girls are "horse crazy". As the heroine deals with the death of her mother and her father's absence for work she befriends a horse with a rough past who may just be the perfect healing they both need. Good story line, likeable characters, perfect reading for anyone who believes in the power of love.
David
Oct 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just finished reading this to my daughter. She's almost 7 and she enjoyed it quite a bit. It's a well-told story with plenty of interesting characters. The kids acted realistically for their ages. It has highs and lows and there's something for everybody. I'm not sure if we'll be reading more in the series or not (that's up to the kiddo!) but the story has plenty of room to continue from the end of this book.
Holly Lenz
May 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Lost Pony of Riverdale is a wonderful horse story that is sure to become a favorite of horse loving children everywhere. The book is entertaining enough for adults to enjoy as well, and I personally was spellbound by it.

The narrator of the audiobook does a lovely job bringing the book to life.
Michelle Burns
Sep 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a wonderful current day story about a family who has had their share of trials. A horse-crazy young girl desperately needs a friend and she finds it in a wild horse. My daughter loved it and we can't wait till we can listen to more in the series. I was given this book for free in exchange for my honest opinion.

Barbara Forte
Mar 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Memories from the past

A book I would have loved reading as a horse crazy reader fifty years ago and enjoyed it today. Suspense and love of horses in the same book. Once in your blood horses are there forever, My barn will never be without one and this story brings back good memories. Took me back to the days before my first mare.
Ilea Anderson
May 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love this book.and I'm a horse lover.I chose this rating I love ponys and horses and I love this book.

It says above why I chose the rating.Iwhould like you to make a book about a horse family be separated and being together again
Diana Stone
Jun 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent, emotional and worth every minute

While the story is about two young children, it's easily a book for anyone who likes horses. There are tense parts and sweet parts. Overall, an excellent book!
Jasmine Brady
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is Great!!

I love this book, the only thing I would change about it is to make it longer.
I would love it to be more interesting and more about other thing s but not sow much it's only about school , or something like that
Skyler Smith
May 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Addictive!

This is great book! Had to close out of it!!! IBT you will feel the AME way!! Red this book!!! ☺🐴
rachael friel
Jun 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I like the lost pony of Riverdale because it has a lot of drama
Emily Beer
Aug 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed reading this book I recommend it to all the horse mad people out there🐴😝😘
« previous 1 3 next »

• My First Pony (Diary of a Horse Mad Girl #1)
  • Winter of the Crystal Dances (Whinnies on the Wind, Book 1)
  • Showjumpers (Pony Club Rivals, #2)
  • Julia Jones' Diary / Horse Mad Girl / Diary of an Almost Cool Girl / Diary of Mr TDH
  • Angels Club
  • A French Girl in New York (The French Girl #1)
  • The Prize (Pony Club Rivals, #4)
  • A Hairy Tail (A Hairy Tail, #1)
  • Witch School, Book 1
  • Diary Of a Wickedly Cool Witch: Bullies and Baddies (The Wickedly Cool Witch series, #1)
  • Mystic and the Midnight Ride (Pony Club Secrets, #1)
  • The Auditions (Pony Club Rivals, #1)
  • Bex Carter 1: Aunt Jeanie's Revenge (The Bex Carter Series)
  • Meet Maddi - Ooops! (Diary of an Almost Cool Girl #1)
  • The Girl Who Rode the Wind
  • Team Spirit (Tilly's Pony Tales, #1)
  • Nightstorm and the Grand Slam (Pony Club Secrets, #12)
  • The Girl on the Dancing Horse: Charlotte Dujardin and Valegro

The Riverdale Pony Stories (9 books)
  • Against all Hope (The Riverdale Pony Stories, #2)
  • Into the Storm (The Riverdale Pony Stories, #3)
  • Redhall Riders (The Riverdale Pony Stories, #4)
  • The Secret of Witch Cottage (The Riverdale Pony Stories, #5)
  • Missing on the Moor (The Riverdale Pony Stories, #6)
  • The Hunt for the Golden Horse (The Riverdale Pony Stories Book 7)
  • The Mystery of Riverdale Tor (The Riverdale Pony Stories Book 8)
  • A Riverdale Christmas (The Riverdale Pony Stories Book 9)