Start by marking “Vivian In Red” as Want to Read:
Vivian In Red

Vivian In Red

Published September 13th 2016 by Polis Books

To ask other readers questions about Vivian In Red, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vivian In Red

Start your review of Vivian In Red
Diane S ☔
Sep 27, 2016 rated it liked it
Hard not to fall for the irrepressible Milo Short, 88, and feisty, still in possession of all his marbles. Famous for a hit musical, notable songwriter and producer in his day, if fact he still goes into his office. Now the head of family that includes many grandchildren and greats, he is doing fine until...... he sees a ghost from the past, Vivian Adair, a dark haired beauty wearing a red hat, the only problem, Vivian Adair is dead, died long ago. Milo has a stroke and now he is not doing so ...more
Cindy Burnett
Oct 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
So many engrossing novels about the entertainment industry in the 1920’s and 1930’s have been written this year. Vivian in Red focuses on the magic of Broadway in its early years, and the evolution from vaudeville to staged musicals. Riggle also weaves in the role Tin Pan Alley played in contributing to the theater.

As the book opens, 88-year-old Milo Short, a Broadway lyricist and producer, still participates in his family business Milo Short Productions. As he is leaving work one day, he sees a
Myrna
Oct 31, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
Vivian in Red was a dual timeline historical fiction book set in modern and 1930s NY. Kristina had a way of making me feel like I was experiencing the story. Also, her characters were well developed and likable. Highly recommended for fans of Broadway and theatre lovers in general. It was a nice book with themes of family, following your dream, confronting the past, and secrets. 3.5s though I hovered over 4s for a bit. By the way, Xe Sands and Chris Lutkin did a good job of narrating.

Julie
May 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
What a wonderful novel about confronting your past when it rears its head. It's about family bonds and how they can survive even the smallest glimmer of doubt.

I loved Mili, Vivian and Eleanor they were all very distinct characters that were bound together by family and history.
Denise
Jun 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was the first novel I have sat down with and throughly enjoyed reading. I wish I had taken the time to write down all the amazing one liners in this story but I was too caught up in the reading. I adore that Milo and Eleanor. Such a delicious read.
Tracey
Jan 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book--didn't want to put it down!
Steph (loves water)
Sep 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
Outstanding.
Carol
Dec 23, 2016 rated it liked it
At first I was intrigued but I am not one to like "ghosts." I tried to adapt to that concept...I kept reading until the story began to drag on and on, becoming quite predictable. Meh.
Laurel-Rain
May 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

The sight causes him to suffer a stroke. And when he comes to, the renowned lyricist
Elizabeth Sulzby
Jul 31, 2017 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: no one
Recommended to Elizabeth by: Unfortunately, a local bookstore that I like
I love the theatre and New York City. I love stories about pre-World War II Jewish families in New York. And I live in Michigan and even drove to Ludington for a weekend after a break-up. Plus I bought this book because it was a Michigan author. But it was nevertheless so dull that I kept having to make myself read it.

SPOILERS, A WARNING:

Having a lead author who has had a stroke and cannot take is hard, especially when that goes on for 4/5th or more of the book. I grew to sort of like Milo
Bonnie
Nov 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The main character is just that--a character. Milo Short is eighty-eight but still goes to the office every day. He is a famed Broadway producer. He believes he must unravel his complicated history with Vivian Adair in order to win back his When he steps out of his Upper West Side brownstone one morning, he sees a woman from his life sixty years ago winking at him on a New York sidewalk, looking as beautiful as she did back in 1934. The shock causes him to suffer a stroke and lose the ability to ...more
Carie Hughey
Feb 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another great book from Kristina Riggle!! I can tell the amount of time, effort and study goes into her books. My 2 favorite quotes: "Life is short, except when it's long, and then you have so many more years to regret.". And the one that is really stuck in my brain "...Are we telling ourselves lies and stories all the time? But if that's so, why don't we tell happier stories?". Everyone should read at least ONE Kristina Riggle book!!!
Mary Jo
Oct 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
An unusual lead character (88 year old man who has had a stroke) and an interesting setting (Broadway 1936) kept me going through some slow places. It picked up as it went and my overall impression was "Good book!"
Sharon
Feb 12, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Vivian

An easy book with lots of sentiment but little depth. It might be a 30's movie musical with a struggling song writer but no stage honey.
Leah
Sep 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Thoroughly enjoyed. Milo was my favorite character. He's one that I thought of during the day. I had to know how it ended, so I took a break from work to finish the last few chapters!
Sarah Logan-Reynolds
Aug 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
Sadly I just couldn’t get into the book. Too much going on. Dual timelines with multiple voices. Ugh. Disappointed.
Heather
Apr 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
"Famed Broadway producer Milo Short may be eighty-eight but that doesn't stop him from going to the office every day. So when he steps out of his Upper West Side brownstone on one exceptionally hot morning, he's not expecting to see the impossible: a woman from his life sixty years ago, cherry red lips, bright red hat, winking at him on a New York sidewalk, looking just as beautiful as she did back in 1934.
Karen Macedo
Sep 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
I won this book in a goodreads giveaway. I follow Kristina Riggle on goodreads and have read almost all her books so I was looking forward to reading this book . It's a good historical fiction based on New York in the 1930's jazz age. A family drama with some famous composers mentioned. I really enjoyed it....
Adriana Delgado
Oct 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
A beautiful read about a decades old mystery, Vivian in Red is the story of famed Broadway producer Milo Short. One day, as he's strolling down a New York City street, he sees a woman from his past: Vivian Adair. But seeing Vivian isn't what makes Milo's heart stop. It's the fact that Vivian looks exactly the same as she did 60 years ago.
With this intro, Kristina Riggle takes us on a journey of Milo's past and his story with Vivian, alongside the story of Milo's granddaughter Eleanor who is
Suzanne
Jan 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Having recently visited Broadway, I was especially excited to read this novel. While something of a departure for Riggle -- it takes place in NYC, as opposed to somewhere in Michigan, and spans decades, as opposed to a matter of days or weeks -- her usual understanding of family dynamics, humor, and deft plotting come into play. This one kept me entertained and guessing till the end. Loved it!

Dawn Mc bee pillette
I have read all of Kristina's books, and this is my favorite! It kept my interest all the way through, I loved the character Milo, he is funny, and I could totally picture him, that comes with great writing, and detail. The flashbacks, the present, how he saw Vivian now, all came together Beautifully ;) I'm looking forward to your next book, and supporting a fellow Michigander ...more
Angela
Sep 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book! Great story about the writing of a musicals. Love the comic side of Milo and the serious granddaughter. Vivian was the vision that held the story together. Looking forward to reading more books by this author and it's a plus that she is from Michigan!
Joelle Anthony
Dec 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
I'm a huge fan of Kristina Riggle but I will be honest and say the first fifty pages were a bit hard for me. However, that's where writing other great books pays off because I stuck with it because I trust her as an author and really ended up enjoying this book a lot and I definitely recommend it!
Melenia
Oct 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaway
I really enjoyed it, but the constant back and forth was very hard for me to read it consistently
Katherina Martin
Sep 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable reading

I have read all of this author's books and found them all enjoyable. She doesn't stick to one particular genre or topic so I never know what to expect.
The Library Lady
Leaning towards 3.5 to 3.75 Highly enjoyable, if not deep.
Mcdebbie
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
52 weeks, 52 books: Week 2016.38: Vivian in Red 1 26 Sep 16, 2016 08:57AM

• The Oysterville Sewing Circle
  • Little Lovely Things
  • The Inn at Ocean's Edge (Sunset Cove, #1)
  • Heart of Barkness (Chet and Bernie Mystery, #9)
  • Savannah Breeze (Weezie and Bebe Mysteries, #2)
  • The Second Worst Restaurant in France (Paul Stuart, #2)
  • Hanna Who Fell from the Sky
  • The Girl From the Train
  • Beach Town
  • The Girl Who Came Home
  • Bridge of Scarlet Leaves
  • Mud, Sweat and Tears
Kristina Riggle lives in West Michigan, where she writes character-driven novels about complex personal dynamics. Her debut novel, Real Life & Liars, was a Target "Breakout" pick and a "Great Lakes, Great Reads" selection by the Great Lakes Independent Booksellers Association. Her latest novel, Vivian in Red, is a story of 1930s Broadway and today about a lyricist, the clouded history of his ...more