Start by marking “Genius Loci: Tales of the Spirit of Place” as Want to Read:
Genius Loci: Tales of the Spirit of Place

Genius Loci: Tales of the Spirit of Place

Tales of guardian spirits and divine powers by Seanan McGuire, Ken Liu, Alethea Kontis, Laura Anne Gilman, Scott Edelman and more. Guardian spirits. Divine presences. Demonic powers. Ghosts. The concept of "genius loci" is indeed an ancient one, found in nearly every human mythology. Genius Loci is a huge anthology of 31 all-new fantasy and science fiction stories drawing ...more
Published June 21st 2016 by Ragnarok Publiations

Start your review of Genius Loci: Tales of the Spirit of Place
Evan Jensen
May 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Thoroughly loved illustrating these tales. The reading beforehand was a delight, and I can't wait for the world to get to read them all.
Alexander
Oct 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
So, the way this works is that I'm going to review every short story by itself, and have an individual rating there. Afterwards, I'll average the rating and pick the amount of stars I want to give it. You can see them right now, but I haven't tapped it yet as of this writing. I read one short story every day, which was definitely a nice experience, haven't read a collection this way in a long time.
Anyway. Let's get to it!

Vivienne Pustell - The City - 5/5
The opening story very quickly turned into
Colleen
Jul 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
As anthologies go, this one was dense. Most of the stories in here were spicy dark chocolate truffles for my imagination; I could only consume a few at a time or the intensity of flavor made it hard to actually enjoy them.

The forwards for each story provided an education about a place, type of spirit, or time. The stories did not lean on the forwards as much as I expected, but stood on their own without contexts. The introductions just made the stories richer.

I admit that I'm an American girl,
B. Morris Allen
Jun 25, 2016 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
“The City” by Vivienne Pustell
“Cactus Flowers and Bone Flutes” by Mercedes M. Yardley
“Drowning Again in an Ocean of Her” by Ken Scholes and Katie Co
Joy
Oct 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Thought-provoking range of stories about the spirit of place and how it manifests. This was a project on Kickstarter that I backed, and the result is a really lovely collection.

Some of my favorites: The Forgetting Field by Caroline Ratajski, The Snow Train by Ken Liu, Scab Lands by Wendy N. Wagner, and The South China Sea by zm quy`nh (apologies for the typography).
NinjaMuse
In brief: A gorgeous collection of amazing stories, all to do with the spirit of a place. Got it from a Kickstarter so I’m not sure how available this actually is. (Sorry!)

Thoughts: Oof. Earlier this year I reviewed an anthology that fell rather flat for me, and I think I mentioned that anthologies are never totally solid. There’s always a story or two that feels different, that doesn’t quite fit the theme or uses a writing style that doesn’t grab me or annoys me for plot or character reasons. T
Rachel
Jun 24, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: sf
Most of the stories were not to my taste. Anyone who likes horror, inconclusive endings, and/or literary pretentions style might like them more than I did. There were a few stand-outs that I enjoyed.
Ruth Temple
Sep 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
some of it's frighteningly grim. the rest is awesome too.
Sunil
Sep 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, 2016
It would be gauche to formally review an anthology in which I appear, but I can informally, casually do it, right? This is the anthology with my first sale in it, and I think it's a pretty great story, and it fits in quite well alongside these other tales of the spirit of place. Genius Loci is one of the more tonally cohesive anthologies I've read: the stories are generally rich in atmosphere and setting (which makes sense), and they tend to be dark tales with dark endings. Some lightness does s ...more
Roni Jensen
rated it it was ok
Jul 29, 2018
Robert
Apr 27, 2018
Bookwyrm Jim
Dec 24, 2016
Richard Paolinelli
rated it did not like it
Jan 26, 2020
Ashley Tait
Jan 09, 2019
Tom
Mar 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Genius Loci was quite an interesting experience, in the best way. A bit of fantastical globe trotting, a bit of ghost story, a bit of dark magic, a bit of nature reclaiming its own, a bit of joy, a bit of sadness - the varied nature of all the different stories in the book means that you get a wide variety of characters, of plots, and of outcomes. You see the world through a number of different eyes, and it never stops being fascinating.

It's worth noting that the varied nature of the stories als
Chris
Eva
May 15, 2017
Sally
May 31, 2018
Goodreads Librari...: Anthology needs many authors added 3 16 Jun 26, 2016 06:21AM

• Planetary Anthology Series: Luna (Tuscany Bay's Planetary Anthology Series Book 2)
  • The Looking Glass Wars
  • Dreams and Shadows (Dreams & Shadows, #1)
  • Hexed (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #2)
  • Hammered (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #3)
  • Godzilla: King of the Monsters - The Official Movie Novelization
  • Raised in Captivity: Fictional Nonfiction
  • The Unlikely Escape of Uriah Heep
  • Flotsam
  • Hollow Kingdom
  • Chuck Klosterman X: A Highly Specific, Defiantly Incomplete History of the Early 21st Century
  • A Cosmology of Monsters
  • A Grown-Up Guide to Dinosaurs
  • The House with Chicken Legs
  • The Wandering Inn: Volume 4
  • The Wandering Inn: Volume 5
  • The Wandering Inn: Volume 3
  • The Wandering Inn: Volume 6
Jaym is an editor, author, and freelance publicist.