Start by marking “Clockwork Canada: Steampunk Fiction” as Want to Read:
Clockwork Canada: Steampunk Fiction

Clockwork Canada: Steampunk Fiction

Welcome to an alternate Canada, where steam technology and the wonders and horrors of the mechanical age have reshaped the past into something both wholly familiar yet compellingly different. These fifteen supercharged all-new tales reimagine Canadian historical events, explore other Canadas, and gather inspiration from the northern landscape to make us wonder: what if his ...more
Published May 1st 2016 by Exile Editions

To ask other readers questions about Clockwork Canada, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Clockwork Canada

Start your review of Clockwork Canada: Steampunk Fiction
Mike Perschon
Jun 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: steampunk
I'm going to update this review as I read through each story in Clockwork Canada, a (so far!) outstanding steampunk anthology from Exile Editions. Exile publishes themed anthologies with a Canadian focus - I own their zombie and apocalyptic anthos as well, and will review that later this year. I was sent Clockwork Canada for review, and I'm so glad it was.

I really enjoyed Editor Dominik Parisien's introduction: it's short, sweet, and doesn't make any grandiose claims for steampunk, as many stea
writer...
Canadian authored short stories featuring inclusion of a variety of nationalities along with creative and imaginative steampunk fiction. Unique.

#CanadianBookChallenge10 - canadian located + authored
Caroline C
Oct 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
I'm greatly enjoying this collection of short stories which have Canadian and steampunk elements! Very readable, and it's wonderful to be introduced to some interesting and new (to me) writers.
Clay Davis
Jun 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
A mostly good book of short stories.
Chris Patrick Carolan
May 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic collection of steampunk stories, each wildly different from the next. I always enjoy finding a steampunk story set anywhere other than London, so to discover an anthology of tales set in various Canadian locations was a true breath of fresh air. There are some absolute gems in here - 'The Seven O'Clock Man' by Kate Heartfield, 'The Harpoonist' by Brent Nichols, 'Crew 255' by Claire Humphrey, and 'East Wind in Carrall Street' by Holly Schofield were among my favorites. Absolutely reco ...more
Gordon
Dec 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Steampunk is not a genre I've spent much time on, but I couldn't resist giving this a try. And I'm glad I did. This was a book just full of surprises, and some of the stories were downright brilliant. For me, at least, Clockwork Canada was a wonderful breath of fresh, cold Canadian air.
Brian Gaston
Jan 31, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I really liked the first half of these short stories. The second half of the stories were more social commentary with the steampunk factor seeming to be only a second thought which is not what I expected in a collection like this.
Paula Sullivan
Jan 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
An excellent collection of short fiction, really brings the rough aspect of Canada in the wild in some of the stories. Creativity and imagination shine forth!
Alex Denby
Jul 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think I originally picked this up on Kobo because it was on sale or I had some deal. Either way, it was a very interesting collection of Canadian Steampunk stories.
Derek Newman-Stille
Steampunk has often struck me as a genre that has tended toward overly rosey views of the Edwardian and Victorian Eras. The steampunk tales I have read have often uncritically represented colonialism as adventure, portrayed technology divorced from the horrible conditions of the factories, ignored massive wealth disparity and troubling social conditions. It is a genre that is ripe with neo-futurist possibilities to invite critical engagements with ideas of historicity and presentness, but often ...more
Shalayne
Katherine Hajer
Oct 15, 2016
Michelle
Apr 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Anthologies are always hit-and-miss, but this one has way more hits than misses. Great collection of stories!
Dennis
Jul 09, 2018
Christos
Jan 03, 2020

• The Terror
  • Regeneration (Regeneration, #1)
  • White is for Witching
  • The German Midwife
  • The Truth About Luck
  • Last Christmas in Paris: A Novel of World War I
  • Life Sentences: Literary Judgments and Accounts
  • The Deep
  • Dr. Faustus
  • Acceptance (Southern Reach, #3)
  • Starship Repo
  • Bobbles and Broomsticks (Vampire Knitting Club #8)
  • Confessions of a Domestic Failure
  • Panic Broom (Wicked Witches of Coventry #5)
  • The Clockwork Crown (Clockwork Dagger, #2)
  • Becoming Superman: A Writer's Journey from Poverty to Hollywood with Stops Along the Way at Murder, Madness, Mayhem, Movie Stars, Cults, Slums, Sociopaths, and War Crimes
  • Shadow Rising (Lacy Merrick Thriller #2)
  • Broom and Gloom (Wicked Witches of Coventry #8)
Dominik Parisien is an editor, poet, and writer. He is the co-editor, along with Navah Wolfe, of The Starlit Wood: New Fairy Tales, Robots vs Fairies, and The Mythic Dream. With Elsa Sjnunneson-Henry, he is the co-editor of Disabled People Destroy Science Fiction.

His work has appeared in The Fiddlehead, The Humber Literary Review, Arc Poetry Magazine, Quill & Quire, Uncanny Magazine, Strange Hori

News & Interviews

“All that remained was the grand salon harmonium, also the most troublesome.” 0 likes
“It wasn’t a thinking thing, not truly, else it would have survived the blast like me and Ruth did.” 0 likes