Start by marking “Design Your Day: Be More Productive, Set Better Goals, and Live Life On Purpose” as Want to Read:
Design Your Day: Be More Productive, Set Better Goals, and Live Life On Purpose

Design Your Day: Be More Productive, Set Better Goals, and Live Life On Purpose

"There are a lot of books about goal setting. This one is special." — Scott Warner, CEO, Gigg

When it comes to productivity, hard work is half the battle. The first half—the crucial half—is planning well. Enter the DO LESS method, a simple way to achieve your goals more often, in less time, and with greater peace of mind. Learn how to:

Decide the right goals for you
Published December 15th 2015 by Moody Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Design Your Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Design Your Day

Start your review of Design Your Day: Be More Productive, Set Better Goals, and Live Life On Purpose
Jamie
Jun 21, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Gah! That was not worth my time! Most ideas in this are copied form other books and just re-summarized. At least the author gives credit often is the one thing I can give. Honestly I felt like I was reading a long ramble on mainstreaming life goals and ideas. There are a couple decent ideas, but not original. I didn't get anything new out of this. Just a "been there, read that." Several of the ideas you have to live a certain lifestyle to qualify. And no, I could not think of a way to apply it ...more
As a busy mom who also works part-time outside the home, I am always on the lookout for any tips that will help with productivity, time management, and focus. As with most books in the genre, I began Claire Diaz-Ortiz’s “Design Your Day” simultaneously excited for a new “a-aha!” moment, and skeptical that the book would only contain the same old re-hashed ideas. I’m happy to say that the book delivers new concepts, and reinforces why brainstorming and other efforts that can seem like time sinks ...more
Sara Aouichi
Jan 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this may be a small and easy read but it gets you to think on what is important.
I have always been a big believer on "work smarter not harder" type of a person and this book just high lights why.
highly recommended
Stacey
Mar 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shorter then I expected (a lot of reference pages at the end) but this book had very good concepts including how to set goals and talking about digital detox and how you should go about doing one. Overall great read.
Kris
Oct 07, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some decent ideas, but nothing new. It’s been said before, and better. It’s a quick read, though.
Julia Fedenkiv
I like the part that you need to set your goals with SMART concept, that helps to achieve the wanted results quickly.
Joan
Nov 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Days get away from us. “Days shouldn't live themselves, and this is a book about making sure they don't,” the author writes.

Her strategy is her Do Less Method. It is a productivity and goal setting model designed to get more done in less time and succeed more often. The book is in two parts. The first part concentrates on deciding what is important and what we really want. The second part is about organizing. It includes productivity strategies to reach SMART goals and includes the four steps of
Melek
The book is written in two parts (Decide and Organize), so I'll review them seperately.

The first part (Decide) was all right. I liked the general ideas; though, considering that they were far from being new or original (SMART goals chapter, for instance), that may not have anything to do with this book itself. Being the (sometimes over-) organizer I am, the chapter Fine-Tuning Your Goals had my heart, but I think Word of the Year isn't something a lot of people can apply to their lives.

The
SerialReader
Dec 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’m a professional procrastinator.
Seriously, I have my own talent doing everything at the very last second.
Unfortunately, managing to get any project, assignment or job done within 5 minutes of the deadline is not a satisfying experience and can be quite stressful.

“Design your Day” is based on easy concepts that really helped me starting with the right foot. It's all about decide what your goals are, create good strategies that work and organize yourself at the very best.
It's a good book,
I mentioned when I began this book that there was nothing new here but as I continued reading I appreciated more and more the author's personal spin. I did receive an advance copy to review, so hope that the sections that appear faded and difficult to read have been dealt with.

This is a quick read with a good refresher on principles covering how to take control over your time and your schedule. Claire makes her Do-Less system appealing. She writes with a very engaging style.
There are good tips
Kathryn Strain
Nov 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received this book just as I was about to start my annual process of setting goals for next year. I have been going about that task somewhat haphazardly in the past, but this book offers some very pragmatic ideas for setting those goals and breaking them down into achievable portions. This is instrumental in actually accomplishing those goals. In addition, the author offered some great insight into organizing a workday in order to be more productive and waste less time. Very practical guide ...more
Blythe Musteric
Jan 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book to read at the start of the year. You'll learn strategies for planning out your day/month/year. Part 1 is about goal setting, and part 2 is about dealing with day-to-day work.

What I found most useful:

- Choose a "word" as a theme for your year.
- Create strategies to complete your goals.
- Limit your work to your best 20%.
- Track your time.
- Develop a morning routine.

It's short enough to read over a weekend and will get you motivated to start planing out your upcoming
Helena Richardson
Dec 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Simplistic method on how to reach goals whether they are big or small. This book helps to break down goals into chunks that are manageable with acronyms that you can remember. I really picked up some useful tips on planning to reach my goals even though I consider myself an organized person. Definitely recommend.
Christine Lussier
Clear, to the point, & strategies that look like they will work. I received a digital copy of Design Your Day from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

From goal setting, to changes to make daily, the author is clear & thoughtful with her writing. Not too long, but filled with just enough information.
Elizabeth Chesak
May adjust the rating higher later. IDK.
Jessica Thompson
I loved that this gave action items and easy to-do's. It's helped me consolidate my work day and approach work smarter. Loved it.
Samuel
Jan 23, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It’s clear from the first sentence of Design Your Day, that author Claire Diaz-Ortiz understands the plight of the modern day person: there never seems to be enough time to accomplish the goals you actually WANT to do. It’s also obvious that she has an intimate understanding of what it’s like to feel the weight of too many conflicting obligations, coupled with the daily curve balls that inevitably occur. I found her simple message of “learn to live your days well” is inspiring and I believe you ...more
Nathan Albright
May 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: challenge-2018
[Note: This book was provided free of charge by Moody Publishing. All thoughts and opinions are my own.]

I must admit that there was little in this book that struck me as new, being someone who often reads book relating to managing one's life or one's time better [1]. That said, this book did reinforce certain ideas that I mull over and gave me encouragement to test out certain approaches to make my life more efficient and allow me to do more of what I want to do (reading and writing, much like
Megan Taylor
Aug 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I first picked up this book, I thought it would be a quick book that I’d fly through. Granted, the last half of the book I did do just that. However, the first half of the book made me pause, get out a pen and a notebook, and start writing.

According to the back of the book, “The first half–the crucial half–is planning well.” Claire Diaz-Ortiz explains her DO LESS method to help you think through what your goals are so that you can acheive them.

Honestly, goal writing is a lot easier for me
Callie Daruk
Aug 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just when I had almost given up on the notion that I would somehow make order out of the chaos that is my life, I found Claire’s book, Design Your Day. I must admit, I picked up her book with skepticism. What did this book hold that every other book or article on organization didn’t?

“There are a lot of books out there about goal setting. This one is special,” Claire boldly asserts.

Only a few pages in, I hoped her declaration would hold true. By the end of the first chapter, I found out she was
Maryann
May 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This little book not only helps you to define and refine your goals, it helps to strategize, keep your goals on the top of your mind, and shows you how to organize these goals. As we organize, Claire makes suggestions on how to limit our work to our best 20%, edit the amount of time spent on our work, how to streamline what we do, and to help us know how and when to stop working.
Althoughthis book is designed more for those who have work to juggle with life and children, the main points and
Bethany
Jun 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book isn't revolutionary by an means, the idea behind being more productive and living more purposefully is obviously a very popular theme (check any self help section), but what I felt this book does and does well is really break down the absolute basics and zero in on the best ways to not only improve ones life but go from survival mode to thriving.
I absolutely loved how to the point and succinct the whole book was, you can easily sit down and read it in an evening, although I don't
Devin Berglund Joubert
This was a super inspiring book that has actionable content that is helpful when it comes to setting goals and becoming the person you've always wanted to be.

I extremely loved the chapters where she talks about achieving your goals. And she gives helpful tips and tricks for setting smarter goals. When I saw she was going to cover setting smart goals, I was almost afraid I'd be reading everything I've read about smart goals. I've read a lot about them, but was happily surprised to find so much
Mark Youngkin
Jun 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This short book is a quick read, but it comes with homework that will last a lifetime. I am researching personal productivity strategies for a new course I hope to teach in the next year or so, and originally ordered this book after catching one of Claire's webinars. This is a text version of the webinar's information, which suits my learning style. Between this book and "Do More Better" by Tim Challies, I'll be referring to both of these books often as I refine my own productivity system. ...more
Harley
May 15, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rating: 3.5

A good primer on organizing your work and life in order to do more of each.

It felt like more of a refresher to me as I have read most of the content in various places on blogs or in other books. It made this book feel more like a series of blog posts combined together to make a book.

However, I do struggle a lot with organizing and prioritizing my time (hence why I picked up this book) and it did give me several great tips on how to do this.
Samantha Thomas
Jan 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a quick read which I wanted because the goal is to pack more into the time I do have and be more productive. I appreciated the author’s nod to other books that dealt with the same premise. I am glad I started off my year with this read because juggling my schedule has not been easy this last year and I want this year to be different. I’m looking forward to tracking my progress on some long and short term goals.
Cindy Tebo
I think if I spent my entire day following every step in this book, I would never get anything else done. There are some good tips. I recommend cherry-picking the ones that work for you and let the rest go.
Luke Koskinen
Feb 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
I read this book in tandem with 4 disciplines of execution by Sean Covey and I felt like this one did a great job at helping me to discover goals; Ortiz's concept of choosing a "Word of the year" is very wise and inspiring.
Asiya Al-Ghafri
It is not the best book on goals setting, productivity...etc and nothing new there, but still I can recommend it as a quick reference to motivate yourself to start planning your coming period of life. Anyhow I like the simplicity of this book.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Everything is Figureoutable: How One Simple Belief Can Help Us Overcome Any Obstacle and Create Unstoppable Success
  • Making Work Visible: Exposing Time Theft to Optimize Work & flow
  • Rhythms of Renewal: Trading Stress and Anxiety for a Life of Peace and Purpose
  • Writing Without Bullshit: Boost Your Career by Saying What You Mean
  • Tropic of Kansas
  • Everything All at Once: How to Unleash Your Inner Nerd, Tap into Radical Curiosity and Solve Any Problem
  • Off the Clock: Feel Less Busy While Getting More Done
  • Hello Mornings: How to Build a Grace-Filled, Life-Giving Morning Routine
  • Created for Commitment
  • New Morning Mercies: A Daily Gospel Devotional
  • How Far to Bethlehem?
  • How to Be Richer, Smarter, and Better-Looking Than Your Parents
  • The Flower Farmer: An Organic Grower's Guide to Raising and Selling Cut Flowers
  • unChristian: What a New Generation Really Thinks about Christianity... and Why It Matters
  • The Fringe Hours: Making Time for You