Start by marking “A dama da meia-noite” as Want to Read:
A dama da meia-noite

A dama da meia-noite

(Spindle Cove #3)

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  13,335 ratings  ·  1,125 reviews
Pode um amor avassalador apagar as marcas de um passado sombrio?

Após anos lutando por sua vida, a doce professora de piano, Srta. Kate Taylor, encontrou um lar e amizades eternas em Spindle Cove. Mas seu coração nunca parou de buscar desesperadamente a verdade sobre o seu passado. Em seu rosto, uma mancha cor-de-vinho é a única marca que ela possui de seu nascimento. Não
Published November 5th 2015 by Gutenberg Editora (first published August 28th 2012)

·  13,335 ratings  ·  1,125 reviews

Start your review of A dama da meia-noite
Anne

This is one of those that I didn't know bothered me...until I was done with it.
You know what I mean?
Like, I enjoyed it while I was reading it, but once it was over, I had all these complaints in my head.
So.
It's not going down as a favorite, but this was fluffy enough to scratch my trashy romance itch. Even at (what I thought) was her worst, Tessa Dare still spins a readable yarn.
Plus, there was a cute puppy that helped push them together.
Dawwww!

description

But.
The love story between these two
Jilly
Ugh! Shoot me if I ever lose enough self-respect to act like this girl!
We have Kate, the love-sick, desperate loser, and Thorne, the alpha-jerk who treats her like crap and continually tells her to go away. But, she won't listen. No. She is convinced that they belong together, so she throws herself at him over and over again. It's pathetic. Not romantic.

The only reason I gave two stars to this book is because Kate's family is awesome. There really needs to be an entire series based on these
Alp
Jun 27, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my ok read, neither good nor bad. Some parts of the story were wonderful, some parts bored me to tears, some parts nearly drove me insane, but other bits kept me patiently waiting in anticipation.

A Lady by Midnight had so much potential to be a great read because there was a brilliant plot idea. But alas, it didn’t deliver the way I expected it to be. The story moved so slowly, especially in the first half. There were too many filler scenes in which I had to skim through some pages.
Warda
May 31, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not as great as I hoped it would be, but there’s no doubt that Tessa Dare writes the most wonderful of characters and dialogues.
And don’t even get me started on the slow-burn romance and the sex..

Good lord.
Aileene
And the buddy read saga continues...

Reading this MANstruating grumpy male on 27 June with my lovelies Jess and Alp

///////////////////////////

One of my best discoveries this past few weeks has been the Historical Romance and one of the best discoveries in this genre is Tessa Dare's Spindle Cove series, And A Lady By Midnight is, well, one good reason why I'm loving this genre more.

This is a sequel (of sorts) to A Week To Be Wicked.
This is the story of Kate Taylor and Samuel Thorne.

{Samuel}
Dino-Jess ✮ The Book Eating Dinosaur ✮
Did someone say grumpy, brooding, sulking leading man?
SIGN ME UP FOR SOME OF THAT.

Thorne was the worst best. While he was very passionate and I could tell he truly did love Kate, he was constantly pushing her away because he thought he was doing what was best for her. DUDE. SHE SAID SHE WANTS YOU FOREVER. DON'T TRY TO (view spoiler) YOU STUPID ASSHAT! I didn't mind the pushing away at the start, but it became a little too much by the end of the book.
♥Rachel♥
Oh, I adored this installment! Stoic and taciturn Corporal Thorne had a mushy heart underneath it all! Katie was so sweet and strong! Of course, Tessa Dare’s writing was beautiful, clever and wickedly hot!

Favorite quotes:

She could feel each kiss’s imprint linger like a fiery brand on her skin. He was making her with stamps of his approval.
Her passion-swelled mouth…Wanted.
Her softly arching neck…Desired.
The sweep of her cheekbone…Lovely.
And last—the wine-splashed mark at her temple…Sweet.

Sandra
4.5 STARS TO A FRUSTRATING AND HEARTWARMING HISTORICAL ROMANCE READ!

A Lady by Midnightx large

Love is composed of a single soul, inhabiting two bodies.

A Lady by Midnight is the 3rd book in the 'Spindle Cove' series. I have read the previous 2, and i absolutely LOVE, LOVE, LOVE them. They are amazing! Even though this book wasn't as good, it was pretty damn close!

I was a tiny bit hesitant to read this because i didn't really like the characters when i first met them in book 1, but now? I'm happy to say my opinion
Jill
May 28, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

For the past year Corporal Samuel Thorne of the local militia has avoided Kate Taylor. Kate is glad for the cold, hard and intimidating Thorne to keep his distance. Until one day Thorne rescues her when she is stranded in a nearby town with no money and unable to return to Spindle Cove.

Having been orphaned and left at Margate School when she was four or five years old and raised as a ward of the school till she was twenty-one, Kate is used to being alone. But for the last two years she's found a
Susanne
Buddy read with Sandra!

sunset

Kate realized she had a grave problem. She was infatuated. Or mildly insane. Possible both.

"That's a very intimidating scowl," she teased. "Do you practice that look in the mirror? I'll be you glare into the looking glass until it shatters."

She had been accustomed to thinking of Thorne as an enemy, but after that incident...
They were on the same side.
The two of them, against the melons of the world.

He looked up, pinning her gaze with his. "I know precisely what you
UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish

A Lady by Midnight is such a wonderful story. Tessa Dare is so talented, so creative... her Spindle Cove stories are every bit as funny as they are poignant, and every bit as sexy as they are romantic!

I may write a longer review one day, but trust me on this - just read the series. If you're a fan of historical romance, if you love quirky but compelling characters... just read the series. It's quickly become a favorite, and I am excited to read more!
Sam (AMNReader)
Apparently I need more heroine tags. I really enjoyed Kate in this one. That said, it was a little bit of a miss for me...but only just. I enjoyed the terse and serious Thorne, Kate was a strong, patient, kind character. I really saw her warmth and dug how self-assured she was. Their relationship was great, as was the backstory (I'm a sucker for that)-but that's where my first hang-up is. I wish the enemies-to-lovers thing would've played out a little longer or had a bit more bite. It would've ...more
April (Aprilius Maximus)
Sep 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
1.) A Night To Surrender
2.) A Week To Be Wicked
3.) A Lady By Midnight

*.) Once Upon A Winter's Eve

--------------------------------------------------

trigger warnings: PTSD, death of a parent (in the past), snakes and snake bites, incarceration, childhood trauma.

representation: f/f side relationship, birthmark on face, PTSD.

listen.....
it's by the one
Melanie A.
Audio: 4 STARS
Story: 3 STARS
"I don't know that I can give you the tenderness you deserve."
~Sigh~ This should have been a slam dunk for me. All the elements were there . . .
an author whose work I adore
a brooding, working-class hero
a smart heroine
tragic backstories
. . . but it just didn't come together in a way that made sense to me.

I think the biggest problem was that the author did an amazing job of convincing me that Thorne was no good for Kate - in short, she succeeded, lol. And
Robin (Bridge Four)
Oh Captain, my Captain…well I guess Thorne is a corporal but that is close enough for me. He is a hard and sturdy man who seems to have a little soft spot for Kate, not that she would ever know it as he has kept his distance for both their own good. Thorne seems to know something of Kate’s past and wants to keep if hidden from her as the truth might hurt more than not knowing.

Kate has always noticed Corporal Thorne and she had heard many tales of his exploits with women but she has always
Zain Otoom
Again, incredibly ridiculous, cheesy and over dramatic. But this one was surprisingly sweet, and I enjoyed the sweetness it offered.
Frankie Lovely

I was basically here for Thorne!
And yes ok maybe a little because his name is Thorne and I'm Lunar Chronicles trash

What I Liked

Corporal Thorne has played supporting roles in the first two books in this series and I will be honest … when I heard about this quiet brooding imposing figure, I immediately sifted through the Spindle Cove series book descriptions to see how far I would have to read till I could see more of him (a LOT more if you know what I mean *wink*). Tessa Dare did not
KatLynne
Growing up an orphan, Kate’s greatest desire was to have a family. The mystery surrounding her birth and childhood had me quickly turning each page along with the sexy Corporal Thorne. He’s all closed up keeping secrets himself and struggling to keep his distance from Kate. Thorne is one of those raw, masculine men that women can’t help but notice and I loved Kate’s boldness in bringing them together.

Tessa Dare’s Spindle Cove stories have become one of my favorite series. Each book offers a
Daniella
Jun 17, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Again, I find myself in the very awkward position of having the unpopular opinion about a widely loved novel. Again, I find myself asking, "Is it me? Am I just too unforgiving or too critical?" To give myself credit, I did try to read A Lady by Midnight out of loyalty. But alas, it was just so bad I had to stop by the first hundred pages.

I have three main issues with the novel:

First, the heroine, Kate, was too anachronistic and inconsistent. I don't normally give too much importance on
Lisa Kay
Quote from “A Lady by Midnight,” by Tessa Dare

(This is a review of the audiobook.) Nicely read by Carolyn Morris. The men sound like men and the women like women, all with their own distinguishing voice. Accents are good, as well as inflections. Good pacing.

I’ll admit that I’m reading my way though this series in order to get to book #5. However, I thought I would have to trudge through one or two of the books - and instead find I am quite enjoying the journey, as TD is an excellent writer.
Duchess Nicole
After reading the second book in this series (which was absolutely FANTASTIC), I was looking forward to Kate and Thorne's story. It was sweet, but I got a bit bored somewhere in the middle. The mystery behind Kate's childhood dragged on and took up more of the plot than the romance. And while Kate and Thorne have been acquaintances since book one of the Spindle Cove series, all of a sudden, we learn that they have a secret past together? It just seemed a bit contrived to make a new book.

Mandi Schreiner
Aug 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An absolutely fabulous romance. I ADORE both the hero and heroine. Goes straight to the top of my favorite of 2012 list.

The heroine Kate has a birthmark on her face, and she was abandoned as a young child, ending up in an orphange type school. While her childhood was not horrid, she has always been lonely, having no true family. She lives in Spindle Cove and teaches music.

For the past year, Thorne has been stationed with the militia in Spindle Cove. He crushes on Kate..from a distance. To her,
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)
Read this review in its entirety at Fresh Fiction

Tessa Dare has the coveted ability to steal the hearts of readers. Her writing is fluid and strong. It's like stepping into a time machine, she so easily transports readers. She possesses a distinct voice that stands out amongst a sea of already accomplished authors, yet she brings that charm that makes an already polished read sparkle and shine.
Letitia
Rating: A ... Heat: Hot

Kate Taylor has found a home and true friends in Spindle Cove. After a childhood spent at an austere school for young ladies, she has built some measure of peace and happiness for herself at the seaside locale. That peace is transformed into chaos when a kooky family, the Grammercys, come calling upon Kate--claiming her as their long lost cousin.

Corporal Thorne doesn't trust the Grammercys. When it comes to Kate's well-being and happiness, he will do anything to protect
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘
Jan 22, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ by: Fable
Verdict? Not unforgettable, but exactly what I needed tonight.

Melanie
I really love the 'Spindle Cove' series from Tessa Dare and 'A Lady by Midnight' is now officially my favorite. There's just something special about this little village on the coast of England filled to the brim with eccentric spinsterish-type ladies and manly militia men that screams "stop here for a good time"! This installment is slightly less fluffy than the previous offerings IMO, but it's still a lighthearted historical romance that delivers - and the gruff Corporal Thorne and Miss Kate ...more
Nefise
I am sorry to confess that unfortunately Ms Dare is one those authors that oce upon a time l loved to read but recently l have struggled to finish her books.

This one was quite enjoyable at the beginning. Last quarter was less charming and slow for me.
Jacob Proffitt
Well, that wasn't a complete waste of time. Quite. But it was a near-run thing. Kate was nice and her background was interesting and Dare managed to drip it out just shy of insufferably coy so that all worked. It really is a shame that Thorne is one of the worst romantic heroes to ever get his brood on. Talk about one-note wonder. Dare beat that self-hatred horse so hard she had to file environmental impact papers. Making that the sum and total of his motivation was a mistake. Having him (view ...more
ᴥ Irena ᴥ
I love plain heroines, but here it doesn't work very well since the only one who thinks that is the heroine herself. Yes, she's an orphan who was taught to think certain way about herself, but it simply doesn't work well.
What I loved? Thorne, definitely Thorne. I enjoyed the moment when she realized how wrong she was about him. All those silent, wonderful actions done without waiting for acknowledgement or gratitude.

Despite the convenient from the past device, mid-story dragging a bit,
♥ℳelody
What a delicious read! Since Payne & Minerva's book I was eager to get my hands on Thorne and Kate's story. Samuel a.k.a Corporal Thorne and Miss Kate Taylor really captured my interest and heart from the get-go. Thorne is a gruff monosyllabic lumbering brute of a hero with a dark past and secrets to spare which include some intriguing tattoos. Yum yum YUM. He was pushing all the right buttons for me as a brooding quiet hero. He reminded me a lot of Kev from Seduce Me at Sunrise one of my ...more

• One Good Earl Deserves a Lover (The Rules of Scoundrels, #2)
  • Never Judge a Lady by Her Cover (The Rules of Scoundrels, #4)
  • No Good Duke Goes Unpunished (The Rules of Scoundrels, #3)
  • Eleven Scandals to Start to Win a Duke's Heart (Love By Numbers, #3)
  • The Rogue Not Taken (Scandal & Scoundrel, #1)
  • A Rogue by Any Other Name (The Rules of Scoundrels, #1)
  • A Scot in the Dark (Scandal & Scoundrel, #2)
  • Ten Ways to Be Adored When Landing a Lord (Love By Numbers, #2)
  • Brazen and the Beast (The Bareknuckle Bastards, #2)
  • Nine Rules to Break When Romancing a Rake (Love By Numbers, #1)
  • Marrying Winterborne (The Ravenels, #2)
  • Devil's Daughter (The Ravenels, #5)
  • Wicked and the Wallflower (The Bareknuckle Bastards, #1)
  • Cold-Hearted Rake (The Ravenels, #1)
  • Scandal in Spring (Wallflowers, #4)
  • Tempt Me at Twilight (The Hathaways, #3)
  • Hello Stranger (The Ravenels, #4)
  • The Heiress Effect (Brothers Sinister, #2)
Sign up for Tessa's newsletter and be the first to hear about new books and hot deals! http://tessadare.com/newsletter-signup/

Tessa Dare is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of fourteen historical romance novels and five novellas. Her books have won numerous accolades, including Romance Writers of America’s prestigious RITA award (twice!) and the RT Book Reviews Seal of

Spindle Cove (5 books)
  • A Night to Surrender (Spindle Cove, #1)
  • A Week to Be Wicked (Spindle Cove, #2)
  • Any Duchess Will Do (Spindle Cove, #4)
  • Do You Want to Start a Scandal (Spindle Cove, #5; Castles Ever After, #4)
“Kate realized she had a grave problem. She was infatuated. Or mildly insane. Possibly both.” 39 likes
“I never thought Greek philosophy could make a damn bit of sense to me. And most of it didn't, but those words just seemed right. 'Love is composed of a single soul, inhabiting two bodies.'" He took her by the shoulders drawing her close. "It rang true for me, in a way nothing else did. Whatever soul I had, Katie, I think I placed it in your keeping twenty years ago. And now, it's as if...every time we kiss, you give a little piece of it back.” 35 likes