Start by marking “Vivienne Westwood” as Want to Read:
Vivienne Westwood

Vivienne Westwood

Dalla felice infanzia nel Derbyshire al trasferimento nella Londra degli anni Cinquanta. Dai primi originalissimi gioielli venduti sulle bancarelle di Portobello Road al vestito realizzato da sola per il primo matrimonio con Derek Westwood e la nascita del figlio Benjamin. Dalla separazione consensuale alla turbolenta relazione con Malcolm McLaren, futuro manager dei Sex P ...more
Published December 3rd 2015 by Odoya (first published October 14th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Vivienne Westwood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vivienne Westwood

Fleur Lewis
May 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yeah, so I really didn’t want to write this review.

It’s not often I’m lost for words, but this little project had me in hard-core procrastination mode. I stared out the window. I turned the heater on and off. I picked off my nail polish then painted it back on again. I even contemplated cleaning the bathroom.

Because, honestly, who the hell am I to be critiquing the life story of the grande dame of British fashion? It’s not like I can add any real value to the conversation.

Vivienne Westwood is,
Cassandra
Jun 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Diese Biografie hat meinen Respekt für Vivienne Westwood wachsen lassen, denn eins steht nach diesem Buch fest: Wer hart arbeitet und niemals aufgibt, der kann es schaffen.

Diese Buch besteht aus Interviews und Erinnerungen, die sehr schön lebendig in das Leben der Modeschöpferin entführen. Der Autor bringt einem Vivienne Westwood sehr nah und es ist nach der Lektüre so, als hätte man Selbst eine Zeit mit ihr verbracht und sich von ihr ihre Lebensgeschichte erzählen lassen. Der Autor hat es wund
Mike Clarke
Vivienne Westwood: single most important fashion phenomenon to come out of Britain or loony old bat? Who can say, to quote Bubble from AbFab (possibly another contender for the former) and this book will do nothing to help you make up your mind. I do think it's perfectly possible to hold at least two completely contradictory views of her, partly because of longevity and also as she's hardly been exactly consistent herself (think safety pin queen and accepting a gong for instance). My toes curled ...more
Razzelfhor
Jan 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
F***ing (s)exquisite!
Helga
Oct 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A dazzlingly inspirational woman.
Serena W. Sorrell
Whether you like fashion, punk, activism, or stories of perseverance and the strength of real people this is a fabulous book.

I've been a fan of Vivienne's fashion for some time and every time I saw a photo of her I just thought "This really looks like someone I need to know". I was not mistaken. Though this co-authored autobiography is as close as I can get to 'knowing' Vivienne the impact it's left on me is incredible.

Finding out how much of my own life she influenced. All the fashion I adore
Lisa
May 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Die Früchte des Zorns gehört zu meinen Lieblingsbüchern. Den Film habe ich noch nie gesehen. Wahrscheinlich ist er nicht so gut wie das Buch, das sind Filme nie. Sie verraten zu viel und überlassen zu wenig der Fantasie. Es gleicht ein bisschen dem Unterschied zwischen einem Gemälde und einem Foto. Man kann sich nur richtig in die Geschichte hineinversetzen, indem man das Buch liest. Mein Leben ist immer noch großartig, aber die meisten Leben habe ich geführt, indem ich las - sie waren spannend ...more
Cameron
Jan 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An amazing auto/biography (it's a collaborative effort between Ms Westwood and Ian Kelly, so a bit of both). It really is a great summation of the life and work of Vivienne Westwood, and the things which forged her strong passions - for clothes, for punk, for change, for revolution. This book really does what a biography needs to - give enough information to sum up a person. I was a fan of Ms Westwood before this, but even more so now, and I feel I have a more thorough appreciation of her work a ...more
Rosie
Jul 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a book. The size of it put me off, but it was actually a relatively quick-ish read as there were tons of illustrations. She's led a very inspiring life, and the first half was great, but the book was a little to glossy and perfect, i don't think it was a true warts and all book, as there's nothing truly critical of Vivienne, and so little about her second marriage. But still, absolutely fascinating, and not just about clothes and punk. I salute you Vivienne, more women need to be like you!!
Keith Johnstone
It was great to learn more about the designer Vivienne Westwood and mostly it was an enjoyable book that I found hard to put down. However there was something annoying about the format and it seemed poorly edited as was very repetitive in parts with some contradictory parts between direct quotes and author narrative. The author clearly loves Westwood which is great and why not - but it parts it seems less than balanced as a result.
Jane Kukk
Jan 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best books I've EVER read, if not THE best. It's just so wondrously inspiring and full of life that now that I've finished it, I just want to read it again and I can only hope the next book I take into my hands is half as good. Beautiful.
Mary Young
Feb 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Probably the first biography I have enjoyed. I'm usually an escapist into novels. I learnt a lot and found the ups and downs of her life fascinating. Wondering if there are any other biographies I'd find equally interesting.
Angela
Jun 25, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting and entertaining read with loads of zeitgeist of the London of the 60ies and 70ies. V. W. is an amazing woman working hard all her life to become who she was meant to. I'm full of admiration, she is an icon indeed.
Susan
Oct 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great read although I would have liked Vivienne to have written in her own words throughout rather than read the co authors analysis of Vivienne's life.
Shula
Jan 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
Loved every second of this book. What a woman....
Sarah Walsh
Oct 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
'I’d be doing my homework in the corner while she was making things and when she did the Piss / Marilyn Monroe I said, Mum, I’m confused: do you like her or not? And she said, Yeah, it’s not about that, I’m just trying to shock people by putting piss on. And then when she was penciling in the cock of Jesus on the inverted cross on the swastika / Destroy T-shirt, I was doing my homework and I do remember thinking, my mum’s quite eccentric.'

Some person said, Westwood’s book is an imperfect rant. A
Genetic Cuckoo
Vivienne Westwood is a British icon, and this biography is a fascinating look at her life and how she became the national treasure she is today. Her early years are marred with struggle and challenges, and many issues are painful and deeply honest. It is wonderful to learn about her early inspiration and the creation of the punk movement, but the later sections are less interesting with the focus changing to her environmental campaigning. Some parts are a little repetitive, as the biography is c ...more
Peppelia
May 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have mixed feelings about this book. The strongest parts are the sections where Westwood is speaking in the first person, and fortunately there are a lot of these. To hear her describe the battles she fought with Malcolm McLaren over authorship, for example, are fascinating. And who knew that Westwood counts among her pals Pamela Anderson? Wonderful. Otherwise, the narrative gets bogged down in repetition; don’t know how many times I muttered to myself “I just read that in the previous paragra ...more
Katie Gaughan
Jan 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This account of Vivienne's life was fascinating. Having grown up in Derbyshire myself, I could relate to many parts of Vivienne's early life. Her ethos remained energetic even though the punk scene she helped to mould withered somewhat over time.
Joana Faria
I liked the bits about punk and World's End and the Sex Pistols. The rest is advertising. But maybe that's because the author is so infatuated with Westwood. It would have been better if this was written by someone less involved.
Katie Hiles
Mar 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What an icon! A true British icon. What a strong, empowering woman. Also, a bit strange when one of your heroine is talking about someone you went to school with! That doesn't happen very often (I went to school with Bradley/Chelsea Manning). Great book!
Ruth
Great packaging and layout in this book. Lots of interesting information and many interesting photos
Jane Connor
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I could not put this book down!!! Fascinating exploring the origins of punk and her other fashion/lifestyle pursuits.
Nola
Sep 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great story
Louise
Mar 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting and enjoyable
Mr E Keun
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a great read about the origins of punk and the historical development a truly unique fashion empire. It leaves the sense of knowing her personally.
Tracey Sinclair
Jul 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lengthy but fascinating look at a fashion legend, in a beautiful (hefty!) hardback with some lovely illustrations.
Liz C
Nov 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent book. Well written and entertaining. I would recommend it to anyone interested in fashion and social history. Wonderful women.
L.H. Johnson
Oct 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have a friend who researches memory and autobiographical fiction. Every now and then, we talk about the ethics of narrating one's self and the truth of that; the I I am now, for example, is not the I I was when I was six. To retell my story as a six year old is to tell that six year old's story from the perspective of an adult, with all my perspective of an adult but also my intensely distinct nature of that retrospection. My story as a six year old told by me then? Substantially different, I' ...more
Lesley
Mar 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
It is no secret that, ever since I read "From A to Biba" and "Quant by Quant", there has been a special place in my daydreams for an assuredly idealised and somewhat chronologically inaccurate 1970s King's Road, London. I've often imagined bobbing into Biba for some knee-boots and popping into Mary Quant for some pop-art makeup*. But until I read this bio/auto-bio, I never, but never, envisaged wandering into Dame Vivienne's "Worlds End" store on that same blue-skyed Saturday morning. Perhaps be ...more
  • Deeds Not Words: The Story of Women's Rights - Then and Now
  • The Fairies in Tradition and Literature
  • God Save the Queen
  • Vivienne Westwood
  • The C-Word
  • Fresh Fruits
  • The Invisibles
  • Heart's Blood (Blood Magic, #2)
  • Love Sick: One Woman's Journey through Sexual Addiction
  • Alcatraz from Inside: The Hard Years, 1942-1952
  • Pre-Raphaelites in Love
  • The Madonna of the Sleeping Cars
  • El libro de Merlin. Un libro de magia, encantamientos y conjuros
  • Fathomless Riches: Or How I Went From Pop to Pulpit
  • Treasures from the Attic: the Extraordinary Story of Anne Frank's Family
  • Inside Vogue: My Diary Of Vogue's 100th Year
  • Midsummer Night (Aetherial Tales, #2)
  • Bob: No Ordinary Cat
Dame Vivienne Westwood, DBE, RDI(born Vivienne Isabel Swire) is a British fashion designer largely responsible for bringing modern punk and new wave fashions into the mainstream.

Westwood has 11 exclusively-owned shops in UK; four in London, and one in Bicester Village, Leeds, Liverpool, Newcastle, Glasgow, Manchester and Nottingham. She also has showrooms in Milan, Paris and Los Angeles.

In 1992, W