Start by marking “Three Sisters, Three Queens (The Plantagenet and Tudor Novels, #8)” as Want to Read:
Three Sisters, Three Queens (The Plantagenet and Tudor Novels, #8)

Read Book

Three Sisters, Three Queens

(The Plantagenet and Tudor Novels #8)

3.77  ·  Rating details ·  21,989 ratings  ·  2,204 reviews
As sisters they share an everlasting bond; As queens they can break each other’s hearts.

“There is only one bond that I trust: between a woman and her sisters. We never take our eyes off each other. In love and in rivalry, we always think of each other.”

When Katherine of Aragón is brought to the Tudor court as a young bride, the oldest princess, Margaret, takes her measure.
Published August 9th 2016 by Atria Books

To ask other readers questions about Three Sisters, Three Queens, please sign up.
Celina No, this is a completely new book. The books in the Tudor Court series are not written in chronological order, so even though the first one to be writ…moreNo, this is a completely new book. The books in the Tudor Court series are not written in chronological order, so even though the first one to be written was The Other Boleyn Girl (2001), it is considered to be #3 in the series because The Constant Princess (written in 2005 but considered #1 in the series) and Three Sisters, Three Queens, occur earlier (historically). I don't think you need to read any of the others to under this one.(less)
Julia Wharton Based on the cover, the description here, and Philippa's posts on Facebook, this book is going to be about the relationship as sisters and queens betw…moreBased on the cover, the description here, and Philippa's posts on Facebook, this book is going to be about the relationship as sisters and queens between Katherine of Aragon, Queen of England, Margaret Tudor, Queen of Scots, and Mary Tudor, Queen of France, later Duchess of Suffolk. Margaret and Mary were sisters as daughters of Henry VII and Elizabeth of York, and Katherine became their sister-in-law when she married their brother Henry VIII! (less)

·  21,989 ratings  ·  2,204 reviews

Start your review of Three Sisters, Three Queens (The Plantagenet and Tudor Novels, #8)
Hailey (Hailey in Bookland)
I would have loved if this focused more on the sister relationship. Margaret, while an interesting narrator, got to be a bit tiresome at times as she was veeeery whiny and jealous. I feel like I only got 1/3 of the story since it was only from her perspective. It would have been great to get Mary and Katherine’s perspectives, which based on the title I thought I would be getting. So not terrible, but a bit more dull than it should have been
Yesenia
Jun 30, 2016 rated it did not like it
Philippa Gregory is a historian capable of crafting beautiful stories from her research and imagination. I rather enjoyed The Other Boleyn Girl, which had a full, fascinating ensemble of characters with many viewpoints.

The title Three Sisters, Three Queens deceived me. I thought this book to be about the three queens and how their lives intertwined. A tale told from each of their perspectives. It was not. Very disappointing.

Gregory's fictional portrayal of Margaret Tudor is one that is obsesse
Laurien Berenson
Aug 13, 2016 rated it it was ok
Philippa Gregory has written numerous wonderful books about the Tudors. Unfortunately this isn't one of them. The narrator here is Henry VIII's older sister, Margaret. When the book opens, she is a whiny, self-centered 12 year old. Eventually she becomes a whiny, self-centered teenager, then a whiny, self-centered adult. Rather than shaping history, poor Margaret is mostly left sitting on the sidelines. I can't imagine a less interesting person through whom to explore this fascinating period.
Book of Secrets
Sep 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
If you enjoy audiobooks, I would highly recommend listening to THREE SISTERS, THREE QUEENS, because Bianca Amato's narration is outstanding. This book has a big cast of characters with different voices and accents, and Ms. Amato handled it beautifully. Very entertaining and well done!

So, the title refers to sisters Margaret and Mary Tudor, and their sister-in-law Katherine of Aragon. The book focuses mainly on Margaret, from her girlhood days in the Tudor court, to her years as Queen of Scotland
Ahmad Sharabiani
Three Sisters, Three Queens (The Plantagenet and Tudor Novels, #8), Philippa Gregory
Three Sisters, Three Queens is a historical novel by British author Philippa Gregory, published on 9 August 2016. It tells the stories of Margaret Tudor, Mary Tudor and Catherine of Aragon, three sisters (one of whom was an in-law), who became the queens of Scotland, France, and England, respectively.

“There is only one bond th
Gena
Aug 17, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: abandoned
I really wanted to like this book. I was one of the first people to have it from the public library and I was so excited! Then I started reading, and this is the least interesting heroine I've read since a V.C. Andrews novel. Margaret is a whiny, self-centered person who judges EVERYONE. Gregory writes the book as though we are reading Margaret's journal or listening to the thoughts in her head so the only point of view we read is Margaret's. It is a very limiting point of view. The reader does ...more
Iset

Fickle, vapid, vacillating – these are just a few words that can be used to describe the voice of Philippa Gregory’s Three Sisters, Three Queens. Don’t get me wrong; Margaret Tudor the real life woman of history is an intriguing figure. But the Margaret Tudor of this novel is greedy, spiteful, and vindictive. For those who were misled into thinking this would be a tripartite novel from the perspectives of Katherine of Aragon, Mary Tudor, and Margaret Tudor – it isn’t. Margaret is the sole, first
Becca
Aug 08, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: tudor-stuff
I find it odd that Philippa Gregory reminds us in her author's note that she writes fiction to flesh out the backgrounds of these noble women whom history has either glossed over, or left very unflattering impressions of. This novel does not show Margaret Tudor as having more complex emotions, she is entirely one-sided in her view of her sisters. She consistently suffers from jealousy of her sister and sister-in-law, and the constant inner narrative of her jealousy becomes tediously repetitive, ...more
Tammie
Jun 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book I’ve read by author Philippa Gregory but it certainly won’t be my last. I love history (my BA is in history) and I especially enjoy Tudor history. Three Sisters, Three Queens was an enjoyable book that centers around Katherine of Aragon, Margaret Tudor and her sister Mary Tudor. Told through Margaret’s “voice”, it details the events and drama that unfold throughout their lives. I’ve read various reviews that stated that Margaret isn’t a very likable character-she’s spoiled ...more
Stacy
Jun 20, 2016 rated it liked it
I have to say this for Gregory--she's not afraid to write an unlikable character. I also appreciate that she likes to throw a light on women that have been largely lost to history beyond a name--I certainly had no idea what Margaret Tudor's life was like after her widowhood. Considering that I found Margaret Beaufort to be appropriately insufferable, it feels right that her granddaughter should also be stubbornly more interested in her own precedence than true matters of state. It makes the read ...more
Cher
4 stars - It was great. I loved it.

I always enjoy Gregory’s historical fiction novels. She has a unique way of grabbing my interest from the first page and truly bringing historical figures to life. I appreciate that at the end of her novels she briefly addresses fact vs fiction (typically because the truth is unknown for these areas). Finally, I love that when I read her novels, I find myself researching more about the characters and events in her novels – always a sign of high engagement.

Thi
Erin Clemence
Jun 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Special thanks to Goodreads for a free copy of this novel, received in exchange for an honest review.
“Three Sisters, Three Queens” by Philippa Gregory, tells the story of Katherine, Margaret and Mary, the three sisters of (whom we come to know as) Henry the VIII. Katherine, the wife of Henry, is envied by Margaret and adored by Mary, three sisters in constant power struggles with each other as the three countries they represent (England, Scotland, France) also face power struggles of their own.
Tania
May 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
I've read almost of all of Philippa's novels, but this was my first audio, and I really enjoyed the experience. The narrator, Bianca Amato, does an amazing job. What an interesting life Margaret Tudor lived, and I loved learning more about Scotland in this era. I absolutely adored her first husband, King James IV of Scotland, and will try and get more books on his reign. I realize this is historical fiction and that we can never really know why anyone acted the way they did, but I thought Philip ...more
Lynn
Jul 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
It takes an exceptional storyteller to craft a novel whose ending is already known, and Philippa Gregory is one such remarkable woman. She has made the Tudor kings and queens her subject matter over and over again, and I, for one, never get tired of reading her work.

I read this EARC courtesy of Edelweiss and the publisher.
Stephen
Nov 30, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Just feeling more recently with her books that they don't feel as exciting maybe its time to move onto a different period of history to excite us again
Carole P. Roman
Aug 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Philippa Gregory puts the reader right in the middle of the lives of the rich and famous, even when it's over five hundred years ago. She makes historical figures come alive, giving them believable personalities, putting words in their mouths. We can watch a movie about historical figures accepting an actors interpretation without comment, yet when it is put in writing we somehow expect the author to know exactly what they were thinking. Gregory has created viable personalities for the famous wo ...more
Celina
Feb 15, 2016 rated it liked it
Jenna Kathleen
This book makes me happy I don't have sisters.

I have studied Tudor England from both literary and historical perspectives and it never occurred to me until reading this book that I have not learned very much about Henry VIII's older sister, Margaret Tudor. She's not remembered fondly for what information there is about her. Of course, this is a fictional portrayal, but it was new and fresh while being slightly familiar at the same time.

Margaret is competitive, annoying, petty, selfish, proud, am
Rachel
Aug 20, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2016
This book ended up being pretty disappointing. The premise was interesting enough, but I thought that it would at least be from the perspectives of Margaret and Mary (given that PG covered Katherine pretty thoroughly in The Constant Princess). Margaret's narration was mind-numbingly redundant and self-absorbed and the book simply jumped from plot point to plot point without fleshing out any other characters.

It was interesting to learn more about Margaret and Scotland at the time, but I found th
BAM The Bibliomaniac
My favourite scene:

Margaret is temporarily paralyzed from her race to escape from Scotland by horse. Then she has a baby. She thinks she can never travel again.... until she learns she has new treasures and gowns waiting for her at the next castle.
Yeah new clothes inspire me too

Loved the intertwining of the three profiles. I never really thought about how these three women affected each other and overlapped.
Tracy Green
Jul 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
I'm fascinated by HenryVIII's sisters. There is very little written about them. If you are looking for the best book to learn more about them read The Sisters of HenryVIII by Alison Weir. This book was good, but I found it rather slow moving. I recommend it for true Tudor fans.
April (Getting Hygge With It)
I found there was quite a bit of repetition in this book. That said it's a fun way to learn about history! And I feel like I know so much more now!
Trish at Between My Lines
Feb 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio, library
This review was originally posted on Between My Lines

Relationships between sisters can swing intensely from a loving sister bond to driving you crazy, often within the same hour.  But the sisters in Three Sisters, Three Queens by Philippa Gregory bring that love/hate relationship to a whole new level.  Fraught with tension, and full of human frailties, I found it a gripping read.

My Thoughts on Three Sisters, Three Queens by Philippa Gregory

This book centres around Henry VIII's older siste
Sonja Arlow
3 1/2 stars

I finished this a while ago but was not sure exactly what I wanted to say about this book.

It almost felt as if the title of the book was forced into the storyline, with the author referring again and again to the bond between the 3 sisters where there clearly was no bond between them. I am not really a fan of kings and queens books at the best of times but recently found a liking to listening to these stories rather than reading it.

Margaret is not a very likable character, she is jeal
M.M. Strawberry Library & Reviews
Wooooooow, my 3000th review!!!

I've enjoyed Philippa Gregory's Plantagenet/Tudor novels so far, even though some of the novels are weaker than others. The important thing to remember is that this is historical fiction, but the author does a really nice job of fleshing out the characters and giving us an enjoyable story/read, regardless of what the women were like in real life. All three women were pawns in political marriages designed for the stability of Europe and the benefit of their respectiv
Sara
Feb 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Three Sisters, Three Queens is a first person account of the life of Margaret, Dowager Queen of Scots, the older sister of Henry VIII of England. The two other queens are her sister, Mary, younger than Henry, and her sister-in-law, Katherine of Aragon. Knowing the events of the English court so well, it was very interesting to imagine what might have been going on in the mind of a related queen who was so far away from the drama, but immersed in a drama of her own.

No one handles historical ficti
Denise
Oct 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Three Sisters, Three Queens is a well research, interesting read. Gregory is a brilliant storyteller! She keeps you engaged in a story that we already know. Written in the first person, I became totally involved in these women's lives.
Stephanie
Aug 02, 2017 rated it liked it
First, I want to say that I listened to the audiobook for this and the narrator, Bianca Amato was absolutely amazing! Based on her narration, this would be a 5 Star read but sadly, no. Ok, moving on...

Normally, I devour Gregory's writing, but it took me 7 months to finish this book because I kept putting it aside since I just could not get into it! One issue was the misleading, to me anyway, premise. The story is told from the first person POV of Margaret Tudor, Queen of Scotland and elder siste
Katie
Wow, this took me forever to read. I only read it because I thought it might finally be my Mary Tudor/Charles Brandon love story, but despite the title and description, it's all Margaret. Her story, her POV. And she wasn't a very pleasant character to spend time with. She just didn't seem to grow much. And it certainly wasn't the "sisters" book the description implies.
Lissy Liz
Feb 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Well, this was a very informative and long story.
I felt a bit bored and pissed off in the beginning with Margaret's change of moods. But later on into the story Felt sorry for her many times with all the changes her life took.

• Katherine of Aragón: The True Queen (Six Tudor Queens, #1)
  • The Lady Elizabeth
  • The Lost Tudor Princess: The Life of Lady Margaret Douglas
  • Elizabeth of York: A Tudor Queen and Her World
  • Anne Boleyn: A King's Obsession (Six Tudor Queens, #2)
  • Jane Seymour: The Haunted Queen (Six Tudor Queens, #3)
  • Anna of Kleve: The Princess in the Portrait (Six Tudor Queens, #4)
  • The Summer Queen (Eleanor of Aquitaine, #1)
  • The King, the Queen, and the Mistress (The Tudors, #1)
  • The Lady in the Tower: The Fall of Anne Boleyn
  • Captive Queen: A Novel of Eleanor of Aquitaine
  • The Winter Crown (Eleanor of Aquitaine, #2)
  • The Marriage Game: A Novel of Queen Elizabeth I
  • A Tapestry of Treason
  • A Dangerous Inheritance
  • The Tudor Crown
  • The Queen's Pleasure
  • Innocent Traitor
Philippa Gregory was an established historian and writer when she discovered her interest in the Tudor period and wrote the novel The Other Boleyn Girl, which was made into a TV drama and a major film. Published in 2009, the bestselling The White Queen, the story of Elizabeth Woodville, ushered in a new series involving The Cousins’ War (now known as The War of the Roses) and a new era for the acc ...more

The Plantagenet and Tudor Novels (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • The Lady of the Rivers (The Plantagenet and Tudor Novels, #1; Cousins War #3)
  • The White Queen (The Plantagenet and Tudor Novels, #2; The Cousins War #1)
  • The Red Queen (The Plantagenet and Tudor Novels, #3; Cousins War #2)
  • The Kingmaker's Daughter (The Cousins' War #4)
  • The White Princess (The Plantagenet and Tudor Novels, #5; Cousins War #5)
  • The Constant Princess (The Plantagenet and Tudor Novels, #6)
  • The King's Curse (The Plantagenet and Tudor Novels, #7; Cousins War #6)
  • The Other Boleyn Girl (The Plantagenet and Tudor Novels, #9)
  • The Boleyn Inheritance (The Plantagenet and Tudor Novels, #10)
  • The Taming of the Queen (The Plantagenet and Tudor Novels, #11)