Start by marking “Hop Frog” as Want to Read:
Hop Frog

Hop Frog

Hop-Frog and his friend Trippetta have been captured by one of the king's generals and brought back to the King as servants. Hop-Frog serves as jester to the king and Trippetta helps to plan and decorate for social events. She is also forced to dance for the king and his court. Both Hop-Frog and Trippetta are dwarves. The King and his ministers enjoy laughing at and abusin ...more
Published October 1st 1998 by Balance Publications (first published March 17th 1849)

To ask other readers questions about Hop Frog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hop Frog

Start your review of Hop Frog
Glenn Russell
Jul 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Love and Revenge – among the most intense, powerful, all-consuming passions in the entire range of human experience. I just did finish Jo Nesbø's The Son, a novel fueled by high octane love and revenge, enough revenge that when a reader turns the book’s last page, the tally of corpses for the morgue runs in double digits. Curiously enough, Nesbø’s novel reminded me of another tale of love and revenge, a classic, one penned by the inventor of the modern revenge tale, Edgar Allan Poe, a tale about
Michael
Aug 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This tale of revenge is less gothic than many of Poe's other tales, yet it still packs an allegorical punch. Here we have a story of a dwarf who's a court jester to a king who just loves a good joke, often at the dwarf's expense. But the king goes too far when one day he throws wine in the face of the dwarf's friend, "a young girl very little less dwarfish then himself." The revenge involves getting the king and his ministers to dress as "Eight Chained Ourang-Outangs" at a masquerade and then... ...more
Rebecca McNutt
Hop-Frog is one of my favorite of Poe's stories. A twisted tale of revenge with a happy ending, Hop-Frog tells of two dwarves, best friends and unfortunately captives of a king who forces them to do tricks for his amusement. Tired of being sideshow spectacles to his ridicule and cruelty, they both come up with a plan to put a stop to it once and for all.
Aishu Rehman
Wow !! What a great story from Poe about revenge. A king calls Hop Frog, a jester, and his female friend, Trippetta, in to perform and entertain. He is a cruel and bored and plays upon Hop Frog's deformities for his own amusement. His advisers are no better. After insulting Hop Frog and Trippetta, Hop Frog devises a wonderful form of revenge for the king and his counselors.

After all ,This one was a surprise for me. Not exactly one of his creepiest stories, but it really made you agree that the
Jon Nakapalau
May 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, horror
One of my favorite stories by EAP.
Quirkyreader
Aug 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of Poe's more twisted creepers.
ἀρχαῖος (arkhaîos)(RK)
A brief diversion. To be enjoyed by one and all. Thanks Brian -
Carol
Aug 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Deliciously Dark and Deadly!

HOP-FROG is described as a dwarf and cripple by the "big fat" nasty King and his "corpulent" ministers who all live for the purpose of joking.

HOP-FROG is also a professional jester who, upon this occasion, is called to the King, forced to drink multiple goblets of wine to make a fool of himself and required to whip up costumes and folly for he and his seven council members (as it turns out) for the upcoming masquerade.

And he does.....

"The beauty of the game, contin

K. Anna Kraft
Mar 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
I arranged my thoughts into a haiku:

"Big men with power
Aren't as immune as they think,
To those underfoot."
M.M. Strawberry Library & Reviews
This is a bit reminiscent of the 1930s movie Freaks, in which normal people abuse freaks and then have the freaks turn upon them.
A Mig
May 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
A short story à la Game of Thrones, with for once, a happy ending (although not for everyone). It is however difficult to believe the King and his entourage could fall in such a predictable trap.
Vaishali
Jan 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: american-fiction
Whoah! Not what I was expecting! Witty and fairytale-like to start, but ending in the murders of a king and his 7 ministers. With a victorious escape in the end! Beautifully moving imagery.

Now wondering why The Raven gets more street cred ?

Rachel Jackson
Nov 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Hop-Frog remains my favorite Edgar Allan Poe story to this day, at least so far. His other, more famous ones are indeed creepy and, of course, Poe-like, but this one stuck with me because it seemed almost more realistic, and, therefore, terrifying.

Hop-Frog is driven by revenge. That's it. He's tired of being just the joke at the king's court, just a dwarfed, crippled jester who people laugh at for their own fun. It's hard to argue against him standing up for himself in the end, even if it a bit
Lukas
May 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great short by Poe that's fun from start to finish. Comparable to the cask of Amontillado and just as memorable.
Siobhan
Nov 14, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Hop Frog is another of the extremely quick reads I found myself devouring on my quest to work through all of Edgar Allan Poe’s work. It was a mere handful of pages, but it was entertaining enough.

It was a story of revenge, of vengeance, of getting back on those who have done harm. It sucks you in from the start, and powers you through the story. For those who love a quick story that packs a punch, Hop Frog certainly ticks the box.

The reason I gave this one a two-star rating is that I feel it onl
Natasha Powell
Jan 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
I have a terrible confession to make, Hop Frog (9-10 pages depending on the format) is the first work from Poe that I've ever read. I am ashamed, as a writer of horror and a fan of the genre, that I didn't start with him sooner.

I will try to keep my "review" of this to three or four paragraphs (I don't want to write a review longer than the actual story.).

Hop Frog, the protagonist/anti-hero or antagonist, which ever fits for you, and his companion Trippetta are jests obtained by a glutinous ki
August
Jun 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
In this case, revenge is a dish best served warm - or rather, flaming hot.

The development of the conflict of the characters and the titillating hint of its consequent solution is nothing less than delicious.

Alienation, humiliation, exploitation - and not only brought about by any other blackguard, but by a fat, smug, self-indulgent king, who loves amusement.

You feel the "dance, monkey, make me laugh!" turned around in such a satisfyingly devious manner that you can't help but consenting a quiet
Marts  (Thinker)
Jun 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Yes, the violence and that element of morbidity are there, that sudden horror that catches you when it comes to Poe. But herein lies a message one that reminds us not to be evildoers but to respect all regardless of circumstance...
Zach Ward
Aug 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Poe, back at it again with the endings. He was truly a masterful writer and this story spoke of it so very clearly. I thoroughly enjoyed the experience of poor hop-frog and trippetta, and despite the king's gruesome end, I celebrated alongside the two protagonists as they exacted revenge and made their way to freedom.
Natalie
Jun 20, 2018 rated it liked it
To me, this was one of Poe's more horrific works. It left me feeling unsettled.

Hop-Frog is a dwarf/slave/forced court jester. The king is a cruel imbecile that loves pranking people. Hop-Frog convinces him and his ministers to perform a prank at a party but Hop-Frog has other plans in store.

Madalin Boboc
Mar 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: stories-novellas, poe
Excellent example of Poe being dark as fuck but amusing at the same time.
Jim
Aug 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
best read not knowing anything, for sure... what an awfully gruesome piece of writing, this one... awesome! dwarves and jesters and cripples and beasts and fire and death... yum! can't explain more or it spoils the fun... opa!
Shaylee (Bookswithshayydeniece_)
I really enjoyed this one! Why does nobody talk about this one? (It feels vaguely familiar but I've always been into Poe so I probably read it in jr. high/high school and just forgot about it.) But I definitely recommend this Poe story!
Books et Compagnie (G.)
Really predictable and kind of entertaining
JL Shioshita
This was a fun story. It takes place in a sort of ambiguous fantasy/fairy tale like setting, with a cruel king and a jester. It ends with one of the best comeuppances ever. Light em up, light em up.
Susan
Oct 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An Unexpected Ending.

This is one of many Edgar Allan Poe short stories that I never tire of— it’s brilliant, with its unexpected turns and denouement.
David Doyle
Sep 16, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
A fun little tale. A court jester, "being also a dwarf and a cripple," is nicknamed Hop-Frog by the king because of the way he moves. The jester and his girlfriend, who is also a dwarf and serves in the king's court, are regularly humiliated. After one too many disgraceful incidents, the two plot their revenge. Moral of the story, never give power to someone you've wronged, because they very well may use it.
Brian
May 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
I read Glen Russel's review and decided to read this tonight.

Poe has this slick, jagged style, like a Rolling Stone of the 1800's.

This story shocked me. A dwarf, also a jester has a dwarf girlfriend. The King pushes her and throws a cup of wine in her face.

Hop-Frog (a name referring to his limp and waddle) entertains the King and his seven advisers with a fun game.

When I finished the last word, I said, "Damn!"

This little man has some very big balls.
Capsguy
Apr 16, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: americant
Proof that Poe could excel other than in the horror/suspense genres. A nice little read.
« previous 1 3 4 next »