Start by marking “Hop Frog” as Want to Read:
Hop Frog

Hop Frog

Hop-Frog and his friend Trippetta have been captured by one of the king's generals and brought back to the King as servants. Hop-Frog serves as jester to the king and Trippetta helps to plan and decorate for social events. She is also forced to dance for the king and his court. Both Hop-Frog and Trippetta are dwarves. The King and his ministers enjoy laughing at and abusin ...more
Published October 1st 1998 by Balance Publications (first published 1849)

To ask other readers questions about Hop Frog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hop Frog

Glenn Russell
Jul 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Love and Revenge – among the most intense, powerful, all-consuming passions in the entire range of human experience. I just did finish Jo Nesbø's The Son, a novel fueled by high octane love and revenge, enough revenge that when a reader turns the book’s last page, the tally of corpses for the morgue runs in double digits. Curiously enough, Nesbø’s novel reminded me of another tale of love and revenge, a classic, one penned by the inventor of the modern revenge tale, Edgar Allan Poe, a tale about
Michael
Aug 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This tale of revenge is less gothic than many of Poe's other tales, yet it still packs an allegorical punch. Here we have a story of a dwarf who's a court jester to a king who just loves a good joke, often at the dwarf's expense. But the king goes too far when one day he throws wine in the face of the dwarf's friend, "a young girl very little less dwarfish then himself." The revenge involves getting the king and his ministers to dress as "Eight Chained Ourang-Outangs" at a masquerade and then... ...more
Aishu Rehman
Wow !! What a great story from Poe about revenge. A king calls Hop Frog, a jester, and his female friend, Trippetta, in to perform and entertain. He is a cruel and bored and plays upon Hop Frog's deformities for his own amusement. His advisers are no better. After insulting Hop Frog and Trippetta, Hop Frog devises a wonderful form of revenge for the king and his counselors.

After all ,This one was a surprise for me. Not exactly one of his creepiest stories, but it really made you agree that the
Rebecca McNutt
Hop-Frog is one of my favorite of Poe's stories. A twisted tale of revenge with a happy ending, Hop-Frog tells of two dwarves, best friends and unfortunately captives of a king who forces them to do tricks for his amusement. Tired of being sideshow spectacles to his ridicule and cruelty, they both come up with a plan to put a stop to it once and for all.
Maria Clara
Dec 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Un buen relato pero muy muy corto 😊
Annie♡
Dec 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Un relato sobre venganza... Impactante.
El que sea corta no le quita lo macabro a la historia.
Jon(athan) Nakapalau
One of my favorite stories by EAP.
RK-ïsme
A brief diversion. To be enjoyed by one and all. Thanks Brian -
Quirkyreader
Aug 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of Poe's more twisted creepers.
A.N. Mignan
May 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
A short story à la Game of Thrones, with for once, a happy ending (although not for everyone). It is however difficult to believe the King and his entourage could fall in such a predictable trap.
Betty
Dec 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: terror
Brillante, narración del magnífico Poe, breve pero intensa.
Andrei Tamaş
Dec 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
O scriere etică, cu un caracter de basm (din care lipseşte însă intervenţia supranaturalului), a cărei morală este aceea că n-are nicio relevanţă dacă eşti rege sau "ultimul om de pe pământ". Cu toţii, de la împărat până la plebeu, trebuie să respectăm anumite norme de conduită, norme care ne-au făcut din animale oameni şi, dacă le neglijăm, tindem să regresăm.
Bineînţeles că binele triumfă...
Fernando
Mar 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Yo tengo una especial predilección por este cuento de Poe. Me encantan los cuentos sobre venganzas y Poe tiene varios: Este, El Tonel de Amontillado y uno realmente muy bueno pero desconocido: Tú eres el hombre. Quien tenga la posibilidad de leerlo, considérele unos minutos...
Huda Aweys

:))))
Xfi
Dec 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Divertido y cruel.
Una fábula de venganza y justicia en la línea de Poe y con detalles divertidos
Rachel Jackson
Nov 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Hop-Frog remains my favorite Edgar Allan Poe story to this day, at least so far. His other, more famous ones are indeed creepy and, of course, Poe-like, but this one stuck with me because it seemed almost more realistic, and, therefore, terrifying.

Hop-Frog is driven by revenge. That's it. He's tired of being just the joke at the king's court, just a dwarfed, crippled jester who people laugh at for their own fun. It's hard to argue against him standing up for himself in the end, even if it a bit
Luke Bongers
May 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great short by Poe that's fun from start to finish. Comparable to the cask of Amontillado and just as memorable.
Guzzo
Dec 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Divertido y amargo relato de Poe, con un punto de La Parada de los monstruos, aunque el relato es anterior pero en mi caso he invertido el orden.
Salem Brócoli
A veces no se necesitan más que unas cuantas páginas para contar buenas historias. Poe lo hace de forma maestra en este breve relato acerca del Bufón Hop-Frog y su cálida venganza en contra de los abusadores. ¡Me encantó!
Siobhan
Nov 14, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Hop Frog is another of the extremely quick reads I found myself devouring on my quest to work through all of Edgar Allan Poe’s work. It was a mere handful of pages, but it was entertaining enough.

It was a story of revenge, of vengeance, of getting back on those who have done harm. It sucks you in from the start, and powers you through the story. For those who love a quick story that packs a punch, Hop Frog certainly ticks the box.

The reason I gave this one a two-star rating is that I feel it onl
Natasha Powell
Jan 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
I have a terrible confession to make, Hop Frog (9-10 pages depending on the format) is the first work from Poe that I've ever read. I am ashamed, as a writer of horror and a fan of the genre, that I didn't start with him sooner.

I will try to keep my "review" of this to three or four paragraphs (I don't want to write a review longer than the actual story.).

Hop Frog, the protagonist/anti-hero or antagonist, which ever fits for you, and his companion Trippetta are jests obtained by a glutinous ki
August
Jun 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
In this case, revenge is a dish best served warm - or rather, flaming hot.

The development of the conflict of the characters and the titillating hint of its consequent solution is nothing less than delicious.

Alienation, humiliation, exploitation - and not only brought about by any other blackguard, but by a fat, smug, self-indulgent king, who loves amusement.

You feel the "dance, monkey, make me laugh!" turned around in such a satisfyingly devious manner that you can't help but consenting a quiet
Marts  (Thinker)
Jun 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Yes, the violence and that element of morbidity are there, that sudden horror that catches you when it comes to Poe. But herein lies a message one that reminds us not to be evildoers but to respect all regardless of circumstance...
Alicia Romero G
Dec 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
La verdad...se lo merecían
Iloveplacebo

Reto: La Mansión Encantada - del grupo 'La cafetería de Audrey'.
Tema: payasos.
Zach Ward
Aug 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Poe, back at it again with the endings. He was truly a masterful writer and this story spoke of it so very clearly. I thoroughly enjoyed the experience of poor hop-frog and trippetta, and despite the king's gruesome end, I celebrated alongside the two protagonists as they exacted revenge and made their way to freedom.
Safia Sabbagh
Aug 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
قصة قصيرة عن الوفاء، لا أدري لماذا ضحكت في النهاية رغم بشاعتها! الأسلوب رائع كالعادة.
-----
A short story about loyalty. I don't know why but I laughed at the end despite it's awfulness. The writing style is fascinating as usual.
K. Anna Hardy
Mar 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
I arranged my thoughts into a haiku:

"Big men with power
Aren't as immune as they think,
To those underfoot."
Madalin Boboc
Mar 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poe, stories-novellas
Excellent example of Poe being dark as fuck but amusing at the same time.

• The Adventure of Black Peter (The Return of Sherlock Holmes, #6)
  • Edgar Allan Poe's The Fall of the House of Usher
  • Fenimore Cooper's Literary Offenses
  • Boy in Darkness and Other Stories
  • At the 'Cadian Ball
  • Deshoras
  • Born to Rule (Camp Princess, #1)
  • FEAR: A Modern Anthology of Horror and Terror (Volume 1)
  • Белый Бим Черное ухо
  • Двенадцать
  • Cabin Pressure Series 3
  • Murder Me Dead
  • A Treasury of Hans Christian Andersen
  • Старуха Изергиль
  • Бородино
  • Яд и корона. Негоже лилиям прясть (The Accursed Kings, #3-4)
  • The Return of the Thin White Duke
  • The Birthday of the Infanta (Fairy Tales of Oscar Wilde)
“...madness is no comfortable feeling.” 0 likes