Start by marking “Red-Blooded American Male: Photographs” as Want to Read:
Red-Blooded American Male: Photographs

Red-Blooded American Male: Photographs

Emmy award-winning photographer Robert Trachtenberg presents today's playfully "macho" coffee-table collection of 100 modern (and cheeky) portraits of men including Channing Tatum, Neil Patrick Harris, Stephen Colbert, and more.

James Van der Beek in a state of undress; Mark Wahlberg arm-wrestling his son; Channing Tatum bromancing with friends in the park. These are the
Published September 13th 2016 by Amphoto Books

To ask other readers questions about Red-Blooded American Male, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Red-Blooded American Male

Start your review of Red-Blooded American Male: Photographs
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
My friend Sandra posted a little tease of this book this morning. She posted a pic of Neal Patrick Harris.
Wet.
In a tub.

I realized I had this book and ran to open the sucker so I could READ it. Yes, I read it. I didn't just look at it "for the pictures."
Whatever.

Actually, this book is freaking beautiful.
Palm Springs commercial photography

Not only that...Trachtenberg writes little snippets of stories that go with the photos.
Like this one...
Palm Springs commercial photography
This was for Rolling Stone's "Hot" issue. It seemed absurd to do anything where we
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

I received an advanced e-copy of this book waaaaaaaaay back in May and fell in love with Trachtenberg’s tongue-in-cheek style. When the opportunity came around for a hard cover, I was ALL. OVER. IT. Sort of like . . . .

I can’t tell you how lucky I am to have received this for free, but I will tell you that I am fairly certain I would have ended up buying this despite my constant state of poor and the $40 price tag. I just needed
Sandra
One of those photographers' names you have heard before, but never really focused on so you won't be able to pinpoint an image or style to them.

Yet.

Jimmy Fallon

Robert Trachtenberg is now one of those that will stay in my mind forever after having seen the imagery in Red-Blooded American Male. The images are tongue-in-cheek, and convey an air of ease, familiarity, and a special bond between photographer and subject(s). It takes a great photographer to have his/her subjects willing to go the extra
Vivian
Apr 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: art, fr, ng
The introduction interview is brilliant. Funny. It frames the pictures in a theme, and gives a good sense of Trachtenberg's character. During it he explains how he got to doing what he does and pretty much says that it's not a technology mastery issue anymore, but a storytelling one.

And that's what these are, frozen moments which encourage the viewer to write the stories.

The images themselves are capricious and meant to be taken with a grain of salt. Don't be so serious, yet there's some
Cheri
May 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Robert Trachtenberg has a way with a camera and with his subjects. His photography is unique, a little tongue-in-cheek, on the verge of naughty, with a mischievous sense of humor. His best shots are when the subject has a similar sense of humor and is willing to go to lengths which might surprise others, obviously trusting that Trachtenberg will end up with a shot that is nothing short of perfection.

And he does. Over and over again.

His photographs have appeared in Rolling Stone, Vanity Fair,
Char
May 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Red-Blooded American Male: A Singular Take on Male Portraiture is a beautiful coffee table book full of humorous and sometimes super sexy photographs of mostly American men. Super. Sexy. American. Men.

There is a short and funny interview with the author/photographer/documentary film maker Robert Trachtenberg. Also, most of the photos include little tidbits about the circumstances surrounding the shoot.

That said, let's get back to the photographs. I submit, for your viewing pleasure, Neil
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
Sep 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2016
What can I say, I saw a review of this book on Goodreads and I just had to request it for myself and this is if I had to pick just one coffee-table book the one I would want to have. The pictures are gorgeous and funny and I love the little note of explanation to the pictures. And, the book also has one of the best introduction I've ever read.

The pictures, you know what, I have of course taken some screen caps to show how lovely they are so I will just show you them and you will see for
Dec 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I typically seek out various types of fiction to read and review, but my interest was peaked when given the option to review “Red-Blooded American Male,” by photographer Robert Trachtenberg. This collection is outstanding for several reasons, but first and for most, Trachtenberg’s amazing photographs. Not only does he possess an enviable magic at capturing the perfect shot – he is absolutely hilarious. His humor shines through in many of his photos, but this collection has captions and stories ...more
Janine
Feb 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love photography (looking at it, not engaging in it as a pasttime), and I'm a sucker for most things related to pop culture. Trachtenberg combines both of those things in a way that I adored.

I love the ways his pictures relate to the subjects in them, whether as the personas the public sees them as, or specific projects he's shooting them for. There's a lot of humor, but the photography is also just really clean and beautiful. I took a lot of pictures of pictures contained within this book
Online Eccentric Librarian

More reviews (and no fluff) on the blog http://surrealtalvi.wordpress.com/

Red-Blooded American Male is a beautifully presented collection of male portraits taken over several years by celebrity photographer Robert Trachtenberg. Throughout, it is clear why Trachtenberg is sought out for his work: the images are full of mischief and quirkiness while never resorting to over-orchestration or showboating. The photographs are a testament to personality rather than presentation, giving us unique but
Killian
Apr 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I have never studied photography, but I know what I like, and I really liked this collection of Trachtenburg's.

I went into this thinking there was more of a theme than there actually was though. This isn't a photo essay of his thoughts on the idea of American Maleness, it's more just a collection of his commercial pieces over the years that vaguely fit into this theme. There were a few that had me confused on why they were even added. I also wish that there was more prose, but I suppose that
Danielle N
Dec 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
How do you review a “coffee-table” book? I have no clue. In my entire life, I have owned only 2, well now 3. The others being Star Wars: Blue Prints and The Stephen King Illustrated Companion. Highly recommend both if you are fans!

When I first saw Red-Blooded American Male, I knew it had to be mine. I was probably completely sold on Will Arnett in fish nets, but who can blame me? Everything about this collection screamed to be owned and placed ever so carefully on the center of my living room
Karen
May 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
I'm a huge fan of photography where the quality of the photo is as important as the clever shot and vice versa. To be able to catch the personalities of so many men in photos was a real eye treat except the icky one of John Stamos who has his check skin pulled. Real or not. ick.

So many shots were perfectly wonderful. James Vanderbeek on the horse ,"more tush" was fun. So any and all back stories really enhanced what we were looking at.
Very good looking book.
Justin
Aug 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A fun (and oft-flirtatious collection) of celebrity photographs, shot with the utmost attention to quality composition. Seriously, every picture is incredible. Trachtenberg is a master photographer. And many of the photos break down traditional expressions of masculinity! It's quite refreshing to see men being so free and having fun. This book is a joy to flip through.
Jenne
Jun 15, 2017 rated it liked it
There are some amazing photographs in here, but the overall effect is of a dude with a fairly juvenile sense of humor. Like, he literally says in the intro that there is nothing funnier than men wearing women's clothes.
Tom Donaghey
Dec 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
RED-BLOODED AMERICAN MALE: PHOTOGRAPHS by Robert Trachtenberg will leave most people feeling puzzled, confused and a little unsure. This collection of wonderful pics by the esteemed Mr. Trachtenberg challenges the viewer's conceptions of what it means to be a man. He depicts some of the most popular stars of stage and screen in poses, settings and clothing that force the reader to question themselves as to how they feel about the images presented.
I showed this book to people I know, average
TIZZY
Dec 21, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2016
This is one of the most strangest and unconventional photography book I have ever seen. I do not even know how to describe it… you have to look at it for yourself.

I honestly have no words for this book.
As I was flipping though, I was thinking, “How in the hell am I supposed to review this?!” I thought this book was supposed to about men questioning gender roles and stereotypes…? But that is not the case. This book seems like it is about the silliness during their photoshoots. These are the
Carla Johnson-Hicks
May 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
This is an amazing photography, coffee table book. I never thought I would drool over a picture of Dougie Houser (Neil Patrick Harris) but the shot of him in this book is amazing. It is important to note that you must also read this book. The introduction not only explains the premise and reason for a male oriented photo essay book, but is an interview with the photographer that is a hoot. Not all of the pictures have text, but those that do will make you smile and appreciate the work for more ...more
Lisa
Jan 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is full of sexy, candid, humorous and endearing shots from Robert Trachtenbergs own portfolio. It also includes an Introductory interview by Jess Cagle, the editorial director of People and Entertainment Weekly.

Each photo in this gorgeous coffee table book tells a story. None of the males in these photos took themselves too seriously and it shows a playful side to each one. It also includes a few gorgeous females along with men in a couple of pics.

I love all the photos and have no
Bunny
Jun 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Received via Netgalley in exchange for a fair review.

I want so badly to post pictures from this book in this review. Which is ridiculous, because a) the book isn't out yet, and b) isn't that the whole point of buying the book?

But ohmigawd do I want to post some of these pictures for everyone to enjoy as much as I did. I will only say, Neil Patrick Harris in a bathtub. Kellan Lutz with "For Sale" written on his bare chest.

So much more.

This book is amazing and pretty. The photography is fantastic
Kimberlie
Jan 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: giveaways
This book is beautiful. It's very large, the pages are thick and glossy, very good quality. The pictures are absolutely gorgeous, and some are hot hot hot. I loved reading the little stories that go with a lot of the pictures, they're funny and interesting.

Every single person that has seen it on my coffee table has flipped through it and had good things to say about it, I'm super happy that I won this book through a goodreads giveaway.
Amber (bookstacksamber)
Aug 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really loved this photography book. What a wonderfully diverse cast of men. I was pleasantly surprised to find diverse gender identities, sexualities, races, religions, and ages all depicted throughout. I loved the photos, but my favorite were the anecdotal stories that went along with many of the shoots. It was interesting to read which subjects came up with their own ideas, and how various shoots were done. Highly recommend this one.
Lisa Boyd
Wow! I loved this book and the way it I received a copy of the book through the eyes of Trachtenberg. The people captured in these pictures are interesting to begin with, but it is wonderful to see their spirits captured in these sometimes whimsical pictures. Netgalley in exchange for my honest review.
Tara
Sep 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Amazing and well done photography for a number of Hollywood's elite. With great interviews and stories to go along with interesting and sometimes thought provoking pictures.
Kelly
Dec 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Cheesecake Galore!

(Full disclosure: I received a free copy of this book for review through Blogging for Books.)

If I could give this book ten stars, I'd still complain that ten isn't enough, that the rating scale is rigged and/or incapable of handling a title of this magnitude. Red-Blooded American Male: Photographs IS THAT GOOD.

2016-11-29 - Red-Blooded American Male - 0004 [flickr]

I mean, just take a gander at that cover. Will Arnett! In fishnets! And black combat boots! Squeezed into a slinky dress and splayed on a swanky couch, looking all
Jessica White
Dec 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This review and more can be found at A Reader's Diary!

Wow.
Robert Trachtenberg is quite the photographer.
Red-Blooded American Male is everything that you would expect it to be, plus throw in a few Canadians and British celebs too!
The cover with Will Arnett sets the mood for the entire book. Trachtenberg has a unique way of capturing men in the most unconventional shoots.
Imagine Seth Rogan with a baby lamb.
Neil Patrick Harris soaking up water in the tub.
Jonah Hill and Channing Tatem doing what
Tamara Evans
Jul 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: photography
This was an entertaining book with photos of old and new celebrities. Some of my favorite photos were of Neil Patrick Harris, Dennis Leary and Jack Black just to name a few. If you're a lover of photography, definitely check this book out.
Malia
Dec 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Received a copy for a Goodreads giveaway. This is a beautiful, witty, and thought provoking book of photographs.
Mandy Wultsch
Feb 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
This is an absolutely gorgeous book, as well as intelligent and funny. It is a collection of photographs taken by Robert Trachtenberg featuring, as the title states, Red-Blooded American Males. That being said, not all subjects in this book are American nor male. (I assume all are red-blooded, although none of them bled any color in the book.)

The photographs range from the sexy (Aydian Dowling on page 141, Neil Patrick Harris on page 20, and Waris Ahluwalia on page 120) to the cute (Caleb Ivison
Ashley Smith
Dec 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Red-Blooded American Male Photographs by Robert Trachtenberg

I've always been a fan of photography and hoped to one day become a sort of amateur photographer myself, although I had never really owned or even read books on the subject. I saw this cover though, and had to get it. I mean, come on. If Will Arnett in fishnets doesn't make you want to read this book immediately than I don't know what will. Plus, Robert Trachtenberg is pretty much world renowned. With pictures appearing in People, Entertainment Weekly, Vogue, it's hard to have missed this

• My Brother's Husband, Volume 1
  • Check, Please! Book 1: # Hockey
  • The Quite Nice and Fairly Accurate Good Omens Script Book
  • A Spirituality of Fundraising
  • Biblical Perspectives on Evangelism: Living in a Three-Storied Universe
  • The Seven Longest Yards: Our Love Story of Pushing the Limits while Leaning on Each Other
  • Beginner's Guide to Community-Based Arts
  • Ancient-Future Evangelism: Making Your Church a Faith-Forming Community
  • Chelsea Chelsea Bang Bang
  • I've Got This Round
  • The World Atlas of Street Fashion
  • Perfect Is Boring: 10 Things My Crazy, Fierce Mama Taught Me about Beauty, Booty, and Being a Boss
  • Public Relations
  • The Apostolic Congregation: Church Growth Reconceived for a New Generation
ROBERT TRACHTENBERG’s photographs have appeared in Entertainment Weekly, Rolling Stone, Esquire, the New York Times Magazine, People, and Vanity Fair, among other publications. Advertising clients include NBC, CBS, ABC, Netflix, Amazon, and HBO. Trachtenberg has written, produced, and directed several documentaries on such legendary entertainers as Gene Kelly, Cary Grant, and Bing Crosby. He is ...more