Start by marking “Perijee and Me” as Want to Read:
Perijee and Me

Perijee and Me

Perijee and Me is a hilarious and touching story about an unusual friendship, a heart-stopping adventure, and the power of kindness when you’re faced with an alien invasion. If E.T. the Extra Terrestrial is still “right here” in your heart, then you’re sure to fall hard for the misunderstood Perijee and the one girl who’s desperate to save him.

Caitlin is the only young pe
Published September 13th 2016 by Wendy Lamb Books (first published March 3rd 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Perijee and Me, please sign up.
Ross Montgomery I imagined that Caitlin, like many children, struggles to tell the time but pretends that she can - I also imagine she gets distracted by cool things…moreI imagined that Caitlin, like many children, struggles to tell the time but pretends that she can - I also imagine she gets distracted by cool things she sees along the way!(less)

Alexa
Dec 10, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2016
Well, this was surprisingly delightful! I knew the basic premise of it going in, but I didn't expect the additional elements that would make this story so fun to read.
Peter
Oct 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
It's like Lilo and Stitch meets ET meets The Iron Man, with added quirky jokes. A great fun, funny middle grade read filled with OTT imagination. Kids will
Love this book.
Steph
Nov 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
INCREDIBLE BOOK. I read it myself earlier this year and I'm now reading it my class. The children love it! They are so engaged and don't want me to stop reading!
Kim Dyer
Mar 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Perijee and Me is by far the best novel that I have read this year so far. The early chapters brought to mind the likes of Lilo and Stitch and ET, focusing a lonely girl who befriends a shapeshifting alien that she finds on the beach. Themes of friendship, family and the meaning of home run throughout the story and some of the book's most touching scenes centre around Caitlin trying her hardest to teach Perijee right from wrong.

While these opening chapters felt a little familiar, the novel quick
Luna
Honestly I am not sure I can adequately describe how much I loved Perijee and Me. I was so head-over-heals that I made myself pace reading the book, just so I would have a few days longer to enjoy it. I could have easily (very easily) read Perijee and Me in one sitting but knowing that this story was waiting for me was like a Perijee light beacon (this will make sense when you read the story yourself, something strongly recommend).

Caitlin’s narration is so endearing. I was utterly smitten from t
Heidi
May 02, 2016 rated it it was ok
Really enjoyed the first third of the book where Caitlin and Perijee meet and become friends. But once Caitlin and her mother are taken by the government and placed in a camp, it just became odd and unbelievable. Just not my cup of tea I guess. I didn't find it particularly funny (cults that will sacrifice anyone and anything to a monster they know nothing about?, people panicking every which way and behaving like idiots? and Caitlin herself making some really poor choices?). I enjoyed the frien ...more
Naaz
Apr 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: physical-books
Review to follow.
cutesyreader
The first time I read this book, I feel like it is similar to the cartoon Lilo & Stitch where a child meet an alien and the alien is not dangerous but cute. Then, as the story goes, I don't know what to expect because I don't quite enjoyed it. Yes, there was some funny moments but still couldn't make me want to enjoyed reading this book. I love the cover though...

Actual Rating:
Sophie
Feb 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Originally published at http://solittletimeforbooks.blogspot....

I was introduced to Perijee and Me at the Faber blogger event last Saturday and I had to read it immediately.

Caitlin broke my heart. She’s ten-years-old and lives on Middle Island with just her mum who spends all day working on her computer, and when he’s not away on book tour, her dad and her only friend is Frank who takes her to the mainland to school everyday. They’re both super successful scientists and they just can't understan
Laiceps
Apr 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book is pure genius.

It's very much Caitlin's story, told through the eyes of a ten year old girl, with all her naivety and innocence. She often get's the wrong end of the stick and is so positive all the time. All she wants is a friend, you can't not love her.

Perijee was the cutest wee thing- at first, hahahahahahahaha.

Yes, you should read this book, it's flippin' hilarious. I laughed out loud so many times- the humour is so clever. Mr Montgomery's comic timing is spot on.

I'd reccommend
Azrul
May 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
A good read told from the perspective of a 10 year old girl. So expect a narrator that is a bit naive (as 10 years old wont to be) and also very endearing.

The friendships are golden. The adventures are fun, funny and crazy. The plot can even fit inside a thriller or science fiction book.

Recommend me any other MG books?
Stargazer
Jul 20, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kids-under-12s
loved the beginning of this book but it just went downhill for me.
Angela
Mar 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
This is charming. The narrator has poor social skills and the author somehow manages to clue us all in on what is really going on despite the narrators (endearing) misunderstandings. There is a certain thing this book has... It's the thing where the unsaid things or the unseen moments are hinted at and the reader has to fill in the blanks on their own which makes it all the more hilarious to read. Like Caitlin crashing the car or stealing the boat. Those type of things. It's a pleasure to read. ...more
Kathy Hoopmann
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It is rare when I read a children’s book that I can’t work out the plot, and the plot ending, way before I reach the last page. However, Perijee and Me surprised me, and I like surprises! Montgomery has an imagination out of this world, literally, and the journey he takes the reader on is full of twists and turns to amaze and shock. I love that he respects his youthful audience enough to challenge them beyond a simple plot line and that he emboldens them with the belief that a child’s heart for ...more
Ellen
Jun 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
My 11yr daughter bought this book on holiday and really enjoyed it so I thought I'd give it a go. A lovely read about friendship, family and a misunderstood alien who is super cute!
Lindsay
Veered off into directions I wasn’t expecting from the cover or the synopsis. Loved how it started off but wasn’t sure about where it went sadly. 2.5 to 3 maybe.
Nina
Oct 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: middle-grade
Ini cerita anak anak 10 tahun yg menghangatkan hati :)
Katy Noyes
Apr 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
It immediately struck me that this story is a universal one - a boy and an alien become friends in an Oliver Jeffers picture book (The Way Back Home), the Spielberg film (E.T. The Extra Terrestrial) and an adult befriends an (ultimately evil) alien plant in the adult-aimed Little Shop of Horrors.

Tales about aliens appeal to any age group, and Perijee's story could have been tailored to adults, or to toddlers as well as to the upper primary/lower secondary age with a few changes.

At heart, it's
Barbara
While her scientist parents are preoccupied with their own jobs, Caitlin struggles with fitting in with her classmates who often belittle her and regard her as too immature for their notice. When not a single one accepts her invitation to a party on Middle Island where she lives, she is understandably disappointed and expects to face a lonely summer vacation. Thus, when she happens to see a shrimp-like creature on the beach, she saves its life and finds a friend. She names the creature Perigee a ...more
Hellen
Feb 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
What a wacky little story, but overall endearing and with a strong message about friendship. There is so much going on in this little book. Family relationships, feeling different, wanting to belong are just a few of the struggles facing Caitlin, the main character of the story. And then there’s Perijee… and one absurd thing after another propels Caitlin into a hilarious journey in support of her friend. Will definitely appeal to a younger crowd, mostly grades 3-5 I think.
Jolein
Oct 06, 2016 rated it liked it
'Great, isn't he?' I said. 'I think he fell from a meteor. Anyway, I'm teaching him maths.'
You just have to love this kid.

I came across Perijee and Me by accident actually. I really loved the cover so I decided to check it out on goodreads and bought it.

I adored the first third of the book. It reminded me so much of Lilo and Stitch. I love the friendship between Caitlin and Perijee and the adventures and troubles they go through.

After that first third things got a bit unrealistic for me, and
Lucy
Jul 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
There aren't many books that deeply affect you in the way that Perijee & Me does. It matters not at all that it's a children's book. In fact, that's the exact reason why it's so wonderful. It's a roller coaster ride of emotions. It's very funny, action packed, suspenseful, heartwarming and sad. It's about friendship, true friendship and how that comes when you least expect it. It's about never letting go. It deals with loss (of a friend/loved one) perfectly. Just because someone isn't physic ...more
Boni
Nov 29, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: chapter-mg
The cover and the first quarter of the book, which are what drew me in, are nothing like the rest of the book. I was okay with the type of adventure/intense action/science fiction that it turned into, but I still felt somewhat mislead by that cover and beginning. Terrific humor and writing, fast-paced with crazy characters and action, but I was ultimately more charmed by the beginning than the middle and end.
Cindy Rogers
Mar 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2017
This book hooked me right away, even though it strongly reminded me of ET. Normally I like a book that takes twists and turns I don't expect, but this one turned into a whole other kind of story I certainly didn't predict. It took determination to finish it, hoping the whole time for it to turn back into the story I first fell in love with. It didn't happen.
Jesse Owen
Feb 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Oh my gosh this book - it's so wonderful, uplifting and touching. If you can get your mits on a copy... get your mits on a copy! Full video review here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6yXd...
Beth Kemp
Sep 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sweet and quirky book about friendship for the 9-12s. It's every bit as odd, delicious and enjoyable as the blurb makes it sound. Definitely recommended.
Anna
Oct 29, 2016 rated it it was ok
Story began very sweet. And then it mutated. Give to fans of the misunderstood alien.
Nicole Pramik
Oct 08, 2016 rated it did not like it
Perijee and Me opens with Caitlin, the young daughter of two inattentive parents, who lives on Middle Island and travels to the mainland just to go to school or encounter anyone else. Seeing as she's the offspring of two famous scientists, Caitlin not only senses she has to live up to her parents' expectations and achievements, she also feels estranged from her school chums (who are anything but chummy) because she doesn't quite measure up. Her only friend is a kindly man who gives her boat ride ...more
Helen Mulligan
Apr 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved it and think children would love it even more. As I was reading the book, I found myself getting a bit frustrated with the speed of the plot; it is probably not my normal genre. I've seen it described as a meeting of ET, The Iron Man and Lilo and Stitch with some extra quirky jokes thrown in. But the heart of the book grabbed me completely: the premise of friendship and love and kindness and who they make us and what they make us do. While the story quickly takes an apocalyptic turn and ...more
Nathan Wilcox
I really enjoyed this book. I read it in 3 sittings but could have easily read it in 1 such was the desire to read just one more chapter. I loved the humour within it and whilst I can understand it may not be everyone's cup of tea, thought the storyline was simple, clear and very easy for me to get on board with. All too often are storylines seemingly over-complicated and so I really liked the simplicity and humour behind this one. Caitlin as a protagonist is endearing and the rest of the ensemb ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Cakes in Space
  • Greenling
  • Claude In The City
  • The Forever Court
  • Begone the Raggedy Witches (The Wild Magic Trilogy #1)
  • How to Fly with Broken Wings
  • The Night Spinner (Dreamsnatcher #3)
  • Goth Girl and the Pirate Queen
  • Wild
  • The Bookshop Girl
  • In Darkling Wood
  • Cogheart (The Cogheart Adventures, #1)
  • There May Be a Castle
  • Cicada
  • Mabel Jones and the Forbidden City
  • The Great Mouse Plot
  • Boy In The Tower
  • The Case of the Good-Looking Corpse (The P.K Pinkerton Mysteries, #2)
Ross Montgomery has worked as a pig farmer, a postman and a primary school teacher, so writing books was the next logical step. He spent his childhood reading everything he could get his hands on, from Jacqueline Wilson to Beano annuals, and it taught him pretty much everything that's worth knowing. If you looked through his pockets you'd find empty crisp packets, lists of things to do, and a bott ...more
“There's always something we don't know anything about." she said. "More than we like to admit. The more we discover, the more we realize we don't fully understand. Our world, our solar system, the universe... it all adds up. I mean, when you think about it-- do we even know that much about ourselves?” 0 likes