Start by marking “The Novice (Black Magician Trilogy, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Novice (Black Magician Trilogy, #2)

The Novice

(The Black Magician Trilogy #2)

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  43,815 ratings  ·  1,206 reviews
"Even if a magician's powers surface of their own accord, he will soon be dead if he does not gain the knowledge of how to control them." Alone among all the novices in the Magicians' Guild, only Sonea comes from lowly beginnings. Yet she has won powerful allies—including Lord Dannyl, newly promoted to Guild Ambassador. But Dannyl must now depart for the Elyne court, leavi ...more
Published July 1st 2004 by Orbit (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Novice, please sign up.
Nastja Not really. But I started reading book 3 and there's more of the Thieves there.

·  43,815 ratings  ·  1,206 reviews

Phrynne
Dec 21, 2015 rated it liked it
The second book in this series and not quite as good as the first. I felt there was not enough content for the length of the book so it dragged a bit in places. As in the first one I enjoyed the characters although I did get a bit tired of waiting for Sonea to use her powers and turn Regin into the rat that he was. (Sadly she never does). Having said all that I read the whole book in record time so it must have had something going for it. And I still want to read the next one!
Ésa
Feb 19, 2013 rated it it was ok
How PATHETIC did Sonea turn out to be in this book?
Again, the author drags part of the story, aka where Sonea gets bullied by some of the rich, spoilt novices, out for pretty much 2/3 of the book, needlessly I may add.

I only gave this two stars because throughout the whole book, whilst the style of writing is still appreciable, I found myself completely aghast at the pathetic, lacking in backbone and self-doubting creature that she turned Sonea into!
We are talking about a young, determined indiv
Kells Next Read
This read was okay. I'm literally on a fence as to what I'm actually feeling about it.

I like the characters in the book but found that the author drag out the storyline unnecessarily. I found myself getting bored frequently and that is a big No No when I read a book.

The heroine in this read also played the victim role way to long. I seriously reached a point that I didn't even care what happen to her as it was pointless.

My official rating is 3 Stars and I'll eventually finished the trilogy (
T
Jan 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
A surprisingly good fantasy title. The plot reminds me quite of Harry Potter (i.e. protagonist in school of wizardry, unusual circumstances of birth, befriended by the school headmaster), but the plot is much more suspenseful and interesting. And none of that ANGST-CRAWLING-IN-MY-SKIN rubbish that one usually sees in this genre of stories.

Mature plot, snappy writing, interesting characters. What more could one ask for?
Elise
Feb 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After reading this book, I'm really starting to love the series. The first book didn't really get interesting until Sonea got to the Guild. With this book, though, it remained interesting from beginning to end. I can relate to Sonea's goal to be a Healer. And I really approved of Trudi Canavan's view of homosexuality that she portrayed through two of her characters. I won't mention the names here to prevent spoilers. Seeing the progress of one of those characters, both in the journey and realiza ...more
Dhuaine
Apr 09, 2010 rated it did not like it
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy
Think of this book as what a Harry Potter novel would look like if it was only about Harry vs. Draco struggle. Except here it's Sonea vs Entire School all-out war with the protagonist being 1) a total victim, 2) accepting everything they throw at her, 3) not fighting back, 4) barely protecting herself, 5) barely accepting help from third parties. Antagonists consist of nearly all the students, most of the teachers, staff and a kitchen sink. Rare people who are on Sonea's side try to help her a l ...more
Alatea
Mar 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Do you know that feeling, when you backpacks weights 10 kg after going to a library? And one single book contains 500+ pages and you have to cycle uphill and all the way you're mad on yourself that you took so many books, when you have other things to do? Your studies, your work, your crafts, etc? And when you start reading a book at 11 pm and finish it after 3 am. And you forget that it weighted tone, that you had something else to do, that it's already morning --- you're fascinated, charmed an ...more
Jen3n
May 16, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
It's entirely possible that I was just in the wrong mood to read this book. The first one in the series was ... okay, I guess. I thought of it as brain-dead yahoo-fair. Bathtub reading, if you know what I mean. Simplistic and derivitive but harmless. I thought I saw where the author was going and was willing to follow her to the next book, should the opertunity land in my path. Well, it did and I did and here we are. Unimpressed.

The simplicity continues (all poor people noble and good! all wealt
imts
May 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommended to imts by: hannah
Shelves: 2018, fantasy, young-adult
"There's always a bit of truth in each rumour, the trouble is finding out which bit."

The worldbuilding in this series really is exquisite.

On the other hand, I found more editing errors in the book, and they continue through book three, too (which I finished half of before remembering I was supposed to mark this one as read).
Karissa
May 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a spectacular continuation to the Black Magician series. After reading the first book in the series I wasn’t sure if I would continue it; but I am so glad I did. This book is much better than the first one and incredibly interesting and engaging.

I listened to this on audiobook and I really love the narrator of these books. He is a pleasure to listen to and does an awesome job with character voices and emotion. I would highly recommend listening to this series on audiobook.

There is so mu
Kirsty (Amethyst Bookwyrm)
Aug 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, fantasy, review

The Novice starts a few months after The Magicians Guild. Sonea is now a novice at the Guild but faces a tough time from the other novices who are distrustful because she is a girl from the slums. Dannyl is now ambassador to Elyne and is on a mission to rediscover ancient magic. At the same time Sonea, Rothen and Administrator Lorlen have to find a way of dealing with and stopping the High Lord Akkarin from using hi
Marzena
Mar 13, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy
Pam Baddeley
Sep 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This is volume 2 of Canavan's first fantasy trilogy, and a much more enjoyable read than volume 1 (which had very little plot). By contrast, in 'The Novice', a great deal happens and a lot of the subplots weave into the main plot, of Sonea's experiences and progress as a magician's novice. Due to her origins in the slums, she meets a great deal of bigotry from other novices and even magicians, and is bullied by a classmate, Regin, who manages to get the rest of the pupils on his side, and later ...more
cat reads
Aug 28, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: my-reviews, fantasy
It's been a long time since I was this frustrated with a book.

There were so many moments of, "Why doesn't Sonea shield? Why doesn't she call for help? Why the f**k is she allowing this to keep happening?! And why ffs are the adults not doing a damn thing about all of this!?!" For a strong character, in this story she does the most illogical things, but then, how dare logical progression interfere with the plot the author wanted. >.< Seriously, Sonea gets into a huge amount of trouble beca
Bec
Mar 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
ERMAGERD I'm so intrigued by all that's happening. Going to start book 3 immediately because I NEED MORE
Tammie
I found this second book in the Black Magician Trilogy to be much more compelling than the first. I had a hard time putting The Novice down. We see some character development here for Sonea and Dannyl and are left to continue wondering what exactly is going on with the High Lord, although by the end of the book there are some clues. He isn't a very well developed character at this point at all, and as the third book is titled The High Lord I am pretty sure we will get a lot more of him there.

I h
Inge
The Novice begins right where The Magicians’ Guild takes off. Sonea has started learning magic and she’s by far the best of her group. But because she’s a girl from the slums – and therefore the victim of prejudice – she’s subject to many harassments from other students, especially Regin, a boy from her class. He’ll do anything to make her life a living hell and send her back to ‘where she belongs’. But Sonea is strong and she could give Regin a run for his money. Then there’s the mystery around ...more
ஐ฿υκєτஐ
Olaylar olaylar demek isterdim ama bir iki şey hariç çok durağan gidiyor yahu kitap. Akkarin çok hızlı öğrendi mesela.Yada bütün bir kitap Regin'in Sonea ile uğraşmasını okuduk durduk.Artık son kitapta biraz hız kazanmalı konu.Son olarak bana Akkarin'in kötü bir niyeti yokmuş da yaptığı bütün kötülükler Loca'nın selameti açısındanmış gibi geliyor.
Melissa Delport
Jan 24, 2016 rated it liked it
Finally I felt toward the end of the second book that things were picking up. The story has been very good, but too drawn out for my liking. Now, things are starting to get real. Am looking forward to book 3.
Biene
Nov 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: winter, 2015, fantasy
Wirklich sehr gut und einfach nur einnehmend dieses Buch. Man muss einfach mit fiebern und steckt mitten drin. Ich liebe es, hoffentlich wird der dritte Teil ebenso großartig!
Louise
This was a brilliant! I thought it was even better then the first book (The Magicianbs Guild). Can't wait to read The High Lord.
Lady Sonea
The Novice is the second installment of Trudi Canavan’s Black Magician Trilogy full with new storylines and conflicts. While The Magicians’ Guild has done rather preparatory work, The Novice makes the next step in revealing the trilogy’s core.

The story
Sonea has started her studies on magic at the Guild’s university. From the first day she is exposed to the hostility of her classmates lead by the evil-natured boy Regin. When her situation has finally improved a little, High Lord Akkarin claims he
Miss Raven
Jun 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
INCREÍBLE.
No tengo más que buenas palabras y halagos para este libro, porque contra todo pronóstico me ha ENCANTADO❤

Siendo que el ritmo narrativo de su primera entrega, El gremio de los magos,  me pareció un poco lento, este libro me ha encantado de principio a fin.

Creo que no ha habido ni un solo párrafo que no me haya gustado, y además de la historia maravillosa, el estilo literario está tan inmensamente cuidado, que da gusto leer y recrearse en las maravillosas descripciones que Trudi Canava
Andrea Salayová
Dec 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
“Believe me. There was nothing good in always being second place."

I liked the second book even better than the first one! Mainly because this one was set in the magical school, which is the best setting ever imo. I loved how Sonea was learning all the magical stuff and attended classes. And there was a couple of great antagonists! Overall, very satisfying read. Cant wait to see where the story goes next!

Galadrielė
Dec 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.75 So much better than the first one
Sibel Gandy
Sep 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Akkarın <3 <3 Sibel
Rohini B
Jun 25, 2018 rated it it was ok
As a rule, I try not to give any book a rating below 3, but even with the added allure of procrastination, I had to force myself to finish the second and third part of this unbearable badly written series that I started reading 4 years ago. Only the nagging thoughts in the back of my mind of having left a series halfway compelled me to read till the end of this trilogy.

Trudi Canavan has the unique honor of being the person to make me rethink my read-all-series-till-the-end dogma.
Hannah Rodgman
May 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book was a delight to read. I enjoyed every single page. I loved it!

“There's always a bit of truth in each rumour, the trouble is finding out which bit.”

This book is the sequel to The Magician’s Guild. It followed the continuation of Sonea’s story. In this novel she has entered the university to study magic but is met with resistance from some of her class members and teachers. But is she safe now? The High Lord Akkarin harbours a secret that is far darker than his black robes.

I am in love
Arminion
May 13, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
At first I liked this book. Things were...moving forward. Very soon, however I became bored and frustrated. Why? Because of the whole bully business that goes for the ENTIRE book. It never stops. It just goes on and on and on. I really didn't know what I hated more, the fact that Sonea was acting like a punching bag that entire time, or the fact that Canavan devoted so much time to this trivial subplot. By the time Sonea finally shows some teeth, it's already too late and the feeling of victory ...more
CalypK
Terminado de leer 09/02/2014

description
Derecha a izquierda: YO>Taylor siendo super nice con Ryan-S | Autora-troll>Jen detrás siendo (ridículo) mal bicho D=

Y es que no me explico cómo continúo yo esta saga/trilogía. Algún embrujo, igual que Jennifer Lawrence a Hollywood, debe haber dejado caer la autora de estos libros sobre mi persona. Es inexplicable, entretiene de hecho, pero que con tantas carencias como las tiene es real y verdaderamente inexplicable.

E intercambiando la experiencia literaria por
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Wit'ch Gate (The Banned and the Banished, #4)
  • Blood and Memory (The Quickening, #2)
  • Zawód: Wiedźma, Część 1 (Wolha Redna, #1)
  • The Awakened Mage (Kingmaker, Kingbreaker, #2)
  • Harshini (Hythrun Chronicles: Demon Child, #3)
  • The Way Between the Worlds (The View from the Mirror, #4)
  • Stormlord's Exile (Watergivers #3)
  • Dark Haven (Chronicles of the Necromancer, #3)
Trudi Canavan was born in Kew, Melbourne and grew up in Ferntree Gully, a suburb at the foothills of the Dandenongs.

In 1999 she won the Aurealis Award for Best Fantasy Short Story with “Whispers of the Mist Children”. In the same year she was granted a writers residency at Varuna Writers’ Centre in Katoomba, New South Wales.

In November 2001, The Magicians’ Guild was first published in Australia. T

The Black Magician Trilogy (3 books)
  • The Magicians' Guild (Black Magician Trilogy, #1)
  • The High Lord (Black Magician Trilogy, #3)
- Tayend”