Start by marking “Cycling the Earth: A Life-changing Race Around the World” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Cycling the Earth: A L...

Sean Conway

Cycling the Earth: A Life-changing Race Around the World

Sean Conway was stuck in a life dead end of his own making when he heard about a round the world cycling race. He was immediately inspired – but it was a huge undertaking and he’d hardly been on a bike in years. Could he really cycle all the way round the world, solo and unsupported?

Six months later, after completing a punishing training schedule and packing up everything
ebook
Published July 7th 2016 by Ebury Digital (first published May 5th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Cycling the Earth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cycling the Earth

Start your review of Cycling the Earth: A Life-changing Race Around the World
Paul
Sean Conway was stuck in a rut, working as a portrait photographer he was bored of taking photos of uncooperative children; and his relationship had just gone south too. Whilst in this limbo, he heard about Mark Beaumont breaking the record for cycling around the world. He had managed over 100 miles a day and obliterated the previous record. Even though he hadn’t been on a bike for years, this was a challenge that immediately inspired him; but could he actually do it?

An arduous six-month trainin
Sean Lee
Oct 18, 2016 rated it liked it
This is no literary masterpiece, but then, it never claims to be. What it is though is a simply told and honest account of an amazing cycling journey that took the author around the world. At times it is light on for detail with little or no background info, but it does manage to capture the immensity of achievement.

3 stars for the writing, but 5 stars for the adventure!
Ivor Kovic
Jul 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Author had a great adventure. Does it translate into a great book.
For me not so much. It surely has something to do with the nature of his adventure. He was after all racing across the World, he was not exploring it. So it boils down to head wind, tail wind, food, water, heat, rain... It managed to grip me maybe a few times. Had no problems putting it down for the day.
Liliana
Mar 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
A really pleasant and inspiring reading.
Fritzov
Apr 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Inspiring, makes you want to go out and ride the bike around the world with out a doubt.
Gavin\Catriona
Jan 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant read.

Brilliant read. Inspirational, super interesting and a great example of a normal guy proving that actually nothing is beyond us.
Ellen
Mar 12, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was taken by the first part of the book, the journey through Africa and South America. North America lost me, though, as it was day after day of cycling. I'm not quite sure what else I was expecting :) I guess I felt the story lost a bit of purpose after the accident and the reframing of the race. I was sufficiently interested to finish the book but I'd have liked more of a conclusion about what happened afterwards.
Tom
Mar 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sport
Simple but inspiring book to read. Didn't want it to end. Quality book.
Samir Thacker
Mar 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An unexpected read but a welcome read nonetheless. Loved it thoroughly. I have been thinking to do a long cycling tour myself and this was a sure shot motivator. The description at times is so vivid, I could bet I was there with him to see the places!
Adam
Sep 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
An inspirational story of a man who gave up the boring life. Exciting at times but a little short.
Martha
Oct 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Kul type, kul bok. Likte nok boken bedre fordi jeg nylig har vært på lang sykkeltur selv, om enn ikke like lang - og hvert fall ikke like ekstrem). Kjente meg likevel godt igjen i mye av hans refleksjoner og tanker mens han var på sykkelsete (til og med musikksmaken). Og gøy og lese reiseskildringer fra de forskjellige kontinentene, hvordan kontrastene var osv.
Paul Hartley
Nov 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Sean Conway is a legend and an inspiration.
Visible Procrastinations
Tim Bennett
Sep 25, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Man Who Cycled the World
  • The Pants of Perspective: One Woman's 3,000 Kilometre Running Adventure through the Wilds of New Zealand
  • Thief River Falls
  • Around the World in 80 Days: My World Record Breaking Adventure
  • A Harrowing Journey: Sailing into danger
  • The Climb: The Autobiography
  • The Cyclist Who Went Out in the Cold: Adventures Along the Iron Curtain Trail
  • The Secret Race: Inside the Hidden World of the Tour de France: Doping, Cover-ups, and Winning at All Costs
  • Africa Solo
  • On the Road Bike: The Search For a Nation’s Cycling Soul
  • The White Scorpion
  • The Nothing Girl (Frogmorton Farm #1)
  • Notes from an Apocalypse: A Personal Journey to the End of the World and Back