Start by marking “Priestess of the White (Age of the Five, #1)” as Want to Read:
Priestess of the White (Age of the Five, #1)

Priestess of the White

(Age of the Five #1)

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  13,802 Ratings  ·  430 Reviews
In a land on the brink of peace—watched jealously by a ruthless cult from across the sea and beset by hidden enemies—five extraordinary humans must serve as sword and shield of the Gods.

Auraya is one.

Her heroism saved a village from destruction; now Auraya has been named Priestess of the White. The limits of her unique talents must be tested in order to prove her worthy
Published December 27th 2005 by Harper Voyager (first published October 26th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Priestess of the White, please sign up.
Anna Definitely NOT. It's an adult fantasy - there are scenes that would be very inappropriate for readers of such young age.

Jensownzoo
Dec 29, 2008 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2008-reads, fantasy
Okay, I give up. I couldn't even finish this one, which is very rare for me--and I had less than a hundred pages to go. I had put it down one night and have not been able to make myself pick it back up again.

I found it to be completely boring, despite the interesting concepts and potential conflicts. This book just drug. Not much action to move it along. Gets bogged down in what seem to be side-stories (they may come together at the end, I'll never know). I liked this authors previous series, so
Gabrielė▪Jucė
Mar 15, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
☆1.5/5☆

DNF @ 15%

I just wasted my time.

Firstly, there are too many characters in this story (and most of them have weird names which is difficult to remember). Secondly, writing style is so fake and amateurish, it's like the author has no ability to lay out her thoughts so she decides to combine very simple and short sentences (and long ones look awkward). Moreover, nothing has happened in these 15%. It's so(ooooo) boring to read.. So I decided dnf it instead of continuing.

I feel a little bit s
Maria
Jun 19, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would have actually given this book 3,5 stars but there's no such scale.
After reading The Black Magician trilogy I expected this one to be better... there was nothing wrong with the style of writing but I wanted something fresh, something new. And here? I'm getting a copy of Canavan's previous novel.
The motive of forbidden romance between Sonea and Akkarin is very similar to the one that Auraya and Leiard struggle with. Despite the fact that they are featureless (most of the characters in thi
Charlie
Every time I read this I enjoy it more than the last. It's truly one of the best fantasy series I've ever read.
Julia
Dec 17, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This is a review for ALL of the books, ie. the whole series.

I started the book about 5 or 6 Months before I finished it, but never got past the first fifty pages. I had liked the Black Magician Trilogy, but I thought I didn't like the theme too much in this book.
Yet, in the end, I think I totally prefer this series to the other!

There were many positive points in the series. It was more complex and the plot and the world seemed very well deverloped. It had more mature themes, which are definite
Sonja
May 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gekauft
Trudi Canavan kenne ich zwar vom Hörensagen, habe aber ihre berühmte erste Trilogie um die Gilde der schwarzen Magier nie gelesen. Vermutlich hätte ich auch nie zu ihren Büchern gegriffen, wäre ich nicht auf einem Flohmarkt über die komplette zweite Trilogie zum Schnäppchenpreis gestolpert.

Der Einstieg in die Geschichte ist etwas verwirrend, weil es nicht nur unterschiedliche Erzählstränge sondern auch einen größeren Zeitsprung gibt. Erst begegnen wir Auraya als Kind und plötzlich sehen wir sie
Becky
Aug 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Priestess of the White is the first novel in Trudi Canavan’s Age of Five series.

Set in a fantastical world where Gods have chosen representatives to do their bidding in the world, this novel mixes magic and religion. The leaders of Hania are the White – five powerful sorcerers who are guided by their Gods. Auraya is the youngest of the White and the novel begins with her joining the Priesthood and her commitment to devote her life to the will of the Gods.

It is the Gods’ will that all of Northern
Angelica
May 13, 2012 rated it liked it
At first I didn't like this book, but the intrigung sub-plots and many of the characters hooked me. I didn't like the main character as she was a little too Mary Sue-ish and the planned romantic entanglement seemed a little too contrived. I loved every other character and the world created and that more than made up for it.

This book has strong feminist themes, such as Emmerahl teaching girls to defend herself, or becoming a whore to survive, but with no shame. I didn't think this was overbearin
Claire
Aug 12, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really liked this book though it jumped around a lot. I totally want Mischief lol he is so cute.
Sky
Apr 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love stories within fantasy that focus heavily on gods, priests, religions etc. so this grabbed my interest as soon as I saw it and it did not disappoint.

I love multiple POV in books so I’m very pleased you usually get 2 or 3 POV’s in a chapter and it was not overwhelming either: you are given enough time to get to know a few characters before a new POV is added. There are a lot of characters but that is part of why I enjoyed it so much.

The world building is fantastic. Canavan created such a
PaperTigerMaddy
Edit: dropped this rating down from 2.5 to a 1 because it's really not worth anyone's time.
Why the heck has this been rated so high? It's crap, especially compared to her excellent debut trilogy! The respect I had for Canavan's writing has largely evaporated. I hope this terrible book was simply a dud, and not that the Black Magician trilogy was a fluke.

Okay, gripe #1. Plants, animals and vehicles are given totally random names despite being albeit identical to things we have in this world. Why
Joby Walker
Dec 31, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
Interesting and with the potential to be better

The Good
-------------------------------
Secondary/Tertiary Characters: Most of the secondary viewpoint characters have some personality that make the story worth reading and some of the tertiary characters are good too. Character development is lacking for most characters though. Looking forward to more from the Hag.

Hints: There are many hints at history and future of the world -- enough potential to make continuing the series worth while.

The Bad
----
Kitvaria Sarene
This one... I read it rather a short time after the Magicians Guild books - and so it took me a bit by surprise how different it was.
While the first series is published as YA (here in Germany), the second series definitely is not. There is a bit of a love plot and some sex scenes in it - and of course the main protagonists are older.
After I got used to the change - I did definitely enjoy the book, though it didn't completely blow me away. I liked the main character and definitely wanted to spend
Terran
Feb 26, 2009 rated it did not like it
Was looking for a new author (having exhausted all the ones I know I like). Ran across this in the local library. I really couldn't get into it. The writing was a bit clunky and the plotline seemed fairly standard high fantasy by the time I gave up. The world building seemed potentially interesting, but I couldn't bring myself to care enough to keep reading. I gather from other comments that this author has more interesting works, so I may try another book another time.
Patricia Vocat
Jan 23, 2014 rated it it was ok
This book is well written, inventive and descriptive, but quite boring. The story has good foundations, but to me it dragged on endlessly without anything happening. And I just couldn’t connect to the flawless heroine who set out to become even more flawless. Although I liked some of the side characters, there were just so many storylines that seemed disjointed from and in conflict with the main plot.
Joanna
Sep 01, 2007 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fantasy
This is just not fun. I'm having to force myself to finish it. I can't even be sure if it's a good book, I'm so sick of reading it! The plot seems creative, but something about it draaaaaaaags.
Edit: Finally finished it, and still completely unimpressed. And after I enjoyed her other trilogy so much, too!
E L E A N O R (bookishcourtier)

Sooo, while there were some things I liked about this book, it was just too slow and long and unexciting to merit anything higher than a 2 star rating. I mean, I didn't hate it. That's why I upped my rating to 2.5 stars, because this was a pretty average book. There was nothing I loved, yet there was nothing that I though really problematic.

So, the world building wasn't amazing. Trudi Canavan managed to convey the actual geography of the land itself to me, with the help of a map (t
Julie
Sep 18, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2017
Teleurstellend. Hoewel de wereld en het concept intrigerend waren, zat er echt geen vaart in het verhaal en waren de personages zo vreselijk vlak. Het hoofdpersonage, Auraya, had geen enkele diepgang en ik bleef het hele boek lang tevergeefs wachten tot ze zich zou ontplooien tot een écht personage. De bedoeling van het boek was wellicht het opbouwen van spanning tot de laatste eindscène, maar dit resulteerde slechts in een saaie en ellenlange (500 pagina's!) aanloop die uitdraaide op een soort ...more
Filip
Docela mě mrzí, že po tak dlouhém odkládání mě Bílá kněžka zklamala. Bylo to až moc průměrné vzhledem k tomu, jak se mi kdysi líbila Trilogie o černém mágovi (i když si začínám myslet, že dneska by mě nezaujala ani Sonea). Když jsem už od Trudi Canavan přečetl (a teď si to musím zkontrolovat, abych nelhal) osmou knížku, najednou bych dokázal s jistotou její styl lehce určit.
Děj je zbytečně moc dlouhý, konverzace jsou vlažné, pohledy všech postav jsou vždy stejné.
Příběh, kdy je u moci církev, k
Elisabeth Cook
I love the Black Magicians Trilogy, so it pains me to review another Trudi Canavan book with a DNF at 66%. I like the concept of Priestess, the fragile balance between magic and the power of the gods is quite an original feeling backdrop (to me). Unfortunately, there are too many disappointments elsewhere. After the hundreds of pages I've read, I still don't have much of a sense of the protagonist, Auraya's personality; I don't know what motivates her, what she finds funny, or what distinguishes ...more
Maria Elmvang
I was a bit disappointed by this book at first. I had LOVED The Black Magician trilogy, and was sad to see that this book couldn't quite live up to the first in that series. It was obviously aimed at a younger audience (at least the beginning was - it did get significantly darker near the end) and the characters didn't seem nearly as complex. Still, it was good enough to keep me entertained through all 672 pages and I would in no way "dis-recommend" it... I'd just tell people to read the other t ...more
Dakota★Magic in Every Book
First Read, 2014
While a tad slow and scattered at the beginning, I was thoroughly involved and enjoying the story as I read further on. Despite criticisms I've read of this series, I find Priestess of the White a strong beginning to a high fantasy trilogy with interesting races, animals, magic, and Gods.

Second Read, 2015
After reading this book a second time, I really can't figure out why I only gave this book four stars the first time. While this book can be slow, filled with world-building inf
Saskia
May 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: high-fantasy
Es ist schon eine ganze Weile her, dass ich es gelesen habe und damals hab ich es sehr geliebt. Ich kann mir vorstellen, dass es für "jüngere" Leser ein wenig überraschender ist als für mich, aber ich mag einfach Trudi Canavans Art Welten zu erschaffen.
Die Welt und das magische System sind eher schlicht & kein Meisterwerk, aber trotzdem überzeugen sie und man fühlt sich wohl. Ich liebe vor allem die Traumweber und finde den religiösen Konflikt sehr interessant.
Die unterschiedlichen Perspekt
Jana
May 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was a re-read for me, and I still really enjoyed it.
Rowena Tylden-Pattenson
I hold Trudi Canavan's books to high expectation, because she's produced some very fine novels over the course of her career. This one though, I know is one of her earlier novels, so I wasn't expecting quite as much from it- and there is evidence that she hasn't quite developed her style and characters completely in this one. I enjoyed it, but I don't think I'd recommend it as one of my favourites.

The plot was interesting enough, if not fairly common; two warring countries, magic, sorcerers etc.
Andi
Dec 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Ich muss sagen, ich habe dieses Buch wirklich genossen. Es kam am Anfang nicht sehr schnell voran, aber auch das fand ich schön. Es ist wirklich gut geschrieben und man bekommt so viel von der Welt geboten, das ich es schon fast schade fand, als es dann doch zu mehr "Action" kam.
Sehr spannend zu lesen fand ich auch die unterschiedlichen Blickwinkel die durch die Erzählung geboten werden. Auch das hat mir wirklich gut gefallen.
Obwohl es das erste Buch einer Trilogie ist, finde ich, dass es eine
Patricia Ulrich
Mar 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Fand ich gut, aber bisher nicht ganz so ansprechend wie die Soneareihe. Vielleicht habe ich auch gerade zu viele Bücher von Trudi Canavan hintereinander gelesen und verliere langsam die Lust an ihrer Standardformel (intelligenter, weiblicher Hauptcharakter, der im Laufe der Geschichte immer stärker wird). Ich lese aber auf jeden Fall noch den Rest der Triologie und bin gespannt, was da noch passiert.
Valarauco
Mar 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Meine Meinung

Auraya wird eine Priesterin der Weißen, kurz nach ihrer Weihung wird sie zur Letzten der fünf Weißen ernannt. Für Auraya ist dies die größte Ehre, welche ihr zuteilwerden kann. Zusammen mit den anderen Weißen muss sie Nord-Ithania lenken und den Menschen helfen. Mit Leiards Hilfe eröffnet sie ein Krankenhaus, in dem Heiler des Zirkels zusammen mit Traumwebern arbeiten. Auraya und Leiard kommen sich näher. Doch für Auraya steht unglaublich viel auf dem Spiel. Sie könnte ihre Stellung
Hannah
The Priestess in White is an interesting story, I picked it up mainly because I enjoyed Canavans previous Trilogy. It is an intriguing storyline with the potential of being very good, and involves a good cast of characters across different species.
The story is told from the perspective of Auraya a priestess who is chosen to become on of the White, a priestess who is blesses with extraordinary powers from the gods. But trouble is brewing from the south and the White must rely on all their knowle
Kelley Ceccato
Things I like in this book:

1) a heroine who is magically gifted, idealistic, and, while embroiled in a romance, NOT rendered catatonic by a broken heart;
2) plenty of interesting and important supporting female characters, some of whom actually befriend and help each other (something that her earlier and more lauded series, The Black Magician Trilogy, conspicuously lacked);
3) a sympathetically portrayed female authority figure (Speaker Sirri of the Siyee);
4) an intriguing religious conflict -- Ci
All About Fantasy!: Priestess of the White 5 11 Mar 11, 2015 06:36AM
  • Warrior (Hythrun Chronicles: Wolfblade, #2)
  • Betrayal (Trinity, #1)
  • Witches Incorporated (Rogue Agent, #2)
  • The Prodigal Mage (Fisherman's Children, #1)
  • Wit'ch Storm (The Banned and the Banished, #2)
  • A Shadow on the Glass (The View from the Mirror, #1)
  • Heart of the Mirage (Mirage Makers, #1)
  • The Battle of Evernight (The Bitterbynde, #3)
  • The Forbidden Land (The Witches of Eileanan, #4)
  • The Sword (The Sword, the Ring, and the Chalice, #1)
Trudi Canavan was born in Kew, Melbourne and grew up in Ferntree Gully, a suburb at the foothills of the Dandenongs.

In 1999 she won the Aurealis Award for Best Fantasy Short Story with “Whispers of the Mist Children”. In the same year she was granted a writers residency at Varuna Writers’ Centre in Katoomba, New South Wales.

In November 2001, The Magicians’ Guild was first published in Australia. T

Age of the Five (3 books)
  • Last of the Wilds (Age of the Five, #2)
  • Voice of the Gods (Age of the Five, #3)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• World After (Penryn & the End of Days, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fortune's Rising (Outer Bounds #1)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • End of Days (Penryn & the End of Days, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Beginning of the End (Apocalypse Z, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Going Wild (Going Wild #1)
  • Renegade: The Lost Books, Book 3
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Awakening (The Vampire Diaries, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Making History
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Godsgrave (The Nevernight Chronicle, #2)
    $10.99 $2.99
  • Carve the Mark (Carve the Mark, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
    $12.99 $3.99
  • Enchantress (Evermen Saga, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2)
  • Let the Right One In: A Novel
  • Come Out Tonight
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Iron Trial (Magisterium #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • First Drop of Crimson (Night Huntress World, #1)
  • Fawkes
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Sticks & Stones (Upside-Down Magic #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hidden Relic (Evermen Saga, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Soul of the Fire (Sword of Truth #5)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2)
  • The Witch's Vacuum Cleaner and Other Stories
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Last Namsara (Iskari #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Rift Uprising (The Rift Uprising Trilogy #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Girl from Everywhere (The Girl From Everywhere, #1)
  • A Game of Thrones: The Graphic Novel: Volume One
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Temple of the Winds (Sword of Truth Book 4)
    $9.99 $2.49
  • The Witch's Daughter (The Witch's Daughter, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Winter King: A Novel of Arthur (Warlord Chronicles)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Red Knight (The Traitor Son Chronicles, #1)
  • 14
    $7.99 $2.49
  • Journey to the Center of the Earth
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Riot (Peter Grant, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Venom in the Veins (Elemental Assassin, #17)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The City of Brass (The Daevabad Trilogy, #1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • I, Robot
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Wizard's First Rule (Sword of Truth, #1)
    $8.99 $2.49
  • Running with the Demon (Word & Void #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Infomocracy (The Centenal Cycle, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Atopia Chronicles (Atopia, #1)
“Happy endings are a luxury of fiction.” 513 likes