Start by marking “Priestess of the White (Age of the Five, #1)” as Want to Read:
Priestess of the White (Age of the Five, #1)

Priestess of the White

(Age of the Five #1)

In a land on the brink of peace—watched jealously by a ruthless cult from across the sea and beset by hidden enemies—five extraordinary humans must serve as sword and shield of the Gods.

Auraya is one.

Her heroism saved a village from destruction; now Auraya has been named Priestess of the White. The limits of her unique talents must be tested in order to prove her worth
Mass Market Paperback, 598 pages
Published 2006 by HarperCollins Publishers Inc. (first published October 26th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Priestess of the White, please sign up.
Anna Definitely NOT. It's an adult fantasy - there are scenes that would be very inappropriate for readers of such young age.

Start your review of Priestess of the White (Age of the Five, #1)
Jensownzoo
Dec 29, 2008 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2008-reads, fantasy
Okay, I give up. I couldn't even finish this one, which is very rare for me--and I had less than a hundred pages to go. I had put it down one night and have not been able to make myself pick it back up again.

I found it to be completely boring, despite the interesting concepts and potential conflicts. This book just drug. Not much action to move it along. Gets bogged down in what seem to be side-stories (they may come together at the end, I'll never know). I liked this authors previous series, so
Maria
Jun 19, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would have actually given this book 3,5 stars but there's no such scale.
After reading The Black Magician trilogy I expected this one to be better... there was nothing wrong with the style of writing but I wanted something fresh, something new. And here? I'm getting a copy of Canavan's previous novel.
The motive of forbidden romance between Sonea and Akkarin is very similar to the one that Auraya and Leiard struggle with. Despite the fact that they are featureless (most of the characters in thi
Charlie
Every time I read this I enjoy it more than the last. It's truly one of the best fantasy series I've ever read.
Tommye Turner
Jun 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy-read
SPOILER FREE

This novel is where my love of reading big fantasy books began when I was 11 or 12 years old. I was on holiday on the Isle of Mull and the only thing close to us that was at all interesting (to a kid of that age) was a book shop in Tobermory. I picked this wonderful fantasy novel up there and I've re-read it more than any other book I own. I quickly finished the trilogy within a week.

Despite having read this book so young, I’d suggest reading it yourself before giving it to a child
PaperTigerMaddy
Edit: dropped this rating down from 2.5 to a 1 because it's really not worth anyone's time.
Why the heck has this been rated so high? It's crap, especially compared to her excellent debut trilogy! The respect I had for Canavan's writing has largely evaporated. I hope this terrible book was simply a dud, and not that the Black Magician trilogy was a fluke.

Okay, gripe #1. Plants, animals and vehicles are given totally random names despite being albeit identical to things we have in this world. Why
Julia
Dec 17, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This is a review for ALL of the books, ie. the whole series.

I started the book about 5 or 6 Months before I finished it, but never got past the first fifty pages. I had liked the Black Magician Trilogy, but I thought I didn't like the theme too much in this book.
Yet, in the end, I think I totally prefer this series to the other!

There were many positive points in the series. It was more complex and the plot and the world seemed very well deverloped. It had more mature themes, which are definite
Becky
Aug 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Priestess of the White is the first novel in Trudi Canavan’s Age of Five series.

Set in a fantastical world where Gods have chosen representatives to do their bidding in the world, this novel mixes magic and religion. The leaders of Hania are the White – five powerful sorcerers who are guided by their Gods. Auraya is the youngest of the White and the novel begins with her joining the Priesthood and her commitment to devote her life to the will of the Gods.

It is the Gods’ will that all of Northern
Kitvaria Sarene
This one... I read it rather a short time after the Magicians Guild books - and so it took me a bit by surprise how different it was.
While the first series is published as YA (here in Germany), the second series definitely is not. There is a bit of a love plot and some sex scenes in it - and of course the main protagonists are older.
After I got used to the change - I did definitely enjoy the book, though it didn't completely blow me away. I liked the main character and definitely wanted to spend
Angelica
May 13, 2012 rated it liked it
At first I didn't like this book, but the intrigung sub-plots and many of the characters hooked me. I didn't like the main character as she was a little too Mary Sue-ish and the planned romantic entanglement seemed a little too contrived. I loved every other character and the world created and that more than made up for it.

This book has strong feminist themes, such as Emmerahl teaching girls to defend herself, or becoming a whore to survive, but with no shame. I didn't think this was overbearin
Patricia Vocat
Jan 23, 2014 rated it it was ok
This book is well written, inventive and descriptive, but quite boring. The story has good foundations, but to me it dragged on endlessly without anything happening. And I just couldn’t connect to the flawless heroine who set out to become even more flawless. Although I liked some of the side characters, there were just so many storylines that seemed disjointed from and in conflict with the main plot.
Claire
Aug 12, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really liked this book though it jumped around a lot. I totally want Mischief lol he is so cute.
Sky
Apr 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love stories within fantasy that focus heavily on gods, priests, religions etc. so this grabbed my interest as soon as I saw it and it did not disappoint.

I love multiple POV in books so I’m very pleased you usually get 2 or 3 POV’s in a chapter and it was not overwhelming either: you are given enough time to get to know a few characters before a new POV is added. There are a lot of characters but that is part of why I enjoyed it so much.

The world building is fantastic. Canavan created such a
Eleanor (bookishcourtier)

Sooo, while there were some things I liked about this book, it was just too slow and long and unexciting to merit anything higher than a 2 star rating. I mean, I didn't hate it. That's why I upped my rating to 2.5 stars, because this was a pretty average book. There was nothing I loved, yet there was nothing that I though really problematic.

So, the world building wasn't amazing. Trudi Canavan managed to convey the actual geography of the land itself to me, with the help of a map (t
Joby Walker
Dec 31, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
Interesting and with the potential to be better

The Good
-------------------------------
Secondary/Tertiary Characters: Most of the secondary viewpoint characters have some personality that make the story worth reading and some of the tertiary characters are good too. Character development is lacking for most characters though. Looking forward to more from the Hag.

Hints: There are many hints at history and future of the world -- enough potential to make continuing the series worth while.

The Bad
----
Dakota★Magic in Every Book
First Read, 2014
While a tad slow and scattered at the beginning, I was thoroughly involved and enjoying the story as I read further on. Despite criticisms I've read of this series, I find Priestess of the White a strong beginning to a high fantasy trilogy with interesting races, animals, magic, and Gods.

Second Read, 2015
After reading this book a second time, I really can't figure out why I only gave this book four stars the first time. While this book can be slow, filled with world-building inf
MargaretDH
This wasn't actively terrible, but it wasn't great. The writing and world building are both pretty pedestrian, and the plot is an old standard. The characters are all pretty one dimensional with fairly straightforward conflicts, and fantasy names that made me, a person who has a pretty high tolerance for made up stuff, roll my eyes.

Before I had access to the book-ternet, I might have liked this book. I've always had a soft spot for fantasy and good guy vs. bad guy show downs, and this would prob
Terran
Feb 26, 2009 rated it did not like it
Was looking for a new author (having exhausted all the ones I know I like). Ran across this in the local library. I really couldn't get into it. The writing was a bit clunky and the plotline seemed fairly standard high fantasy by the time I gave up. The world building seemed potentially interesting, but I couldn't bring myself to care enough to keep reading. I gather from other comments that this author has more interesting works, so I may try another book another time.
Joanna
Sep 01, 2007 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fantasy
This is just not fun. I'm having to force myself to finish it. I can't even be sure if it's a good book, I'm so sick of reading it! The plot seems creative, but something about it draaaaaaaags.
Edit: Finally finished it, and still completely unimpressed. And after I enjoyed her other trilogy so much, too!
Jessica Eck
May 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Several years ago I read the "Black Magician" trilogy by Trudi Canavan and right afterwards I read the first two books of "Age of the Five". Despite enjoying them, I never read the last book for some reason.

By accident I found the audio books on audible and decided to give the series another try and I don't regret it so far! As I didn't remember much of what happened in the first two books, I decided to start with them.

Sarah Douglas' reading is very enjoyable and I especially love how she reads
Safia Sabbagh
Jun 11, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: bad, never-finished
"All you can be sure of in life is change."
It's a very calming book, good for relaxation. But also boring and not very creative. I noticed some inspiration from old Greek mythology. The novel is disrespectful of religions and has waaay too many characters. I didn't complete it.
Emelia
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Elisabeth Cook
I love the Black Magicians Trilogy, so it pains me to review another Trudi Canavan book with a DNF at 66%. I like the concept of Priestess, the fragile balance between magic and the power of the gods is quite an original feeling backdrop (to me). Unfortunately, there are too many disappointments elsewhere. After the hundreds of pages I've read, I still don't have much of a sense of the protagonist, Auraya's personality; I don't know what motivates her, what she finds funny, or what distinguishes ...more
David Klompas
Oct 30, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone looking for an inconsequential and boring time waster of a novel
My fondest moment of Priestess of the White is when the flying creatures are introduced - they really caught my attention. It would be great if there were some sort of bestiary at the end of the novel, so that I could remember these wonderful creature's names.

Unfortunately, the remaining 500-odd pages were completely and utterly boring. Mind numbing doesn't do fair justice to the type of boredom this book can induce. Trudi Canavan manages to take political themes to a new level of inconsequent
Maria Elmvang
I was a bit disappointed by this book at first. I had LOVED The Black Magician trilogy, and was sad to see that this book couldn't quite live up to the first in that series. It was obviously aimed at a younger audience (at least the beginning was - it did get significantly darker near the end) and the characters didn't seem nearly as complex. Still, it was good enough to keep me entertained through all 672 pages and I would in no way "dis-recommend" it... I'd just tell people to read the other t ...more
Jana
May 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was a re-read for me, and I still really enjoyed it.
Rowena Tylden-Pattenson
I hold Trudi Canavan's books to high expectation, because she's produced some very fine novels over the course of her career. This one though, I know is one of her earlier novels, so I wasn't expecting quite as much from it- and there is evidence that she hasn't quite developed her style and characters completely in this one. I enjoyed it, but I don't think I'd recommend it as one of my favourites.

The plot was interesting enough, if not fairly common; two warring countries, magic, sorcerers etc.
Jo
Apr 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book, it ticks all of my boxes. The powerful flying immortal sorceress, the thoughtful use of magic, high stakes and people you care about. I am also fascinated by the thought experiment the book - and the trilogy - embodies: what if there could be no doubt that gods were real, and powerful? How does that change what religion is, and how it plays out in a society? If serving the gods grants power, and immortality, does that change the motivations of their followers?

I also love the w
Der blaue Buchling
The thing is: it’s not a bad read, and I thought it fairly comfortable and quick to read. There were a few characters I liked, for example Emerahl and Tryss, and the strongest point is probably the worldbuilding. But - it felt in several parts rushed and most of the characters are a little bland. It’s enjoyable, but I don’t need to read the next part as soon as possible or else I’ll die from suspension.
Katie
Happy endings are a luxury of fiction.

I enjoyed this, but not quite as much as the Black Magicians' Trilogy - the pacing felt off, so it dragged a bit at times. I liked the characters and the concept though, and I'm curious to see where it goes.
Viki Allen
May 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Have loved this book. Can't wait to read the next two
All About Fantasy!: Priestess of the White 5 11 Mar 11, 2015 06:36AM

• The Prodigal Mage (Fisherman's Children, #1)
  • Hammer of God (Godspeaker Trilogy, #3)
  • Empress (Godspeaker Trilogy #1)
  • The Riven Kingdom (Godspeaker Trilogy, #2)
  • The Hunter's Moon (The Chronicles of Faerie, #1)
  • Pirate Curse (The Wave Walkers, #1)
  • Diener des dunklen Hirten (Kryson, #2)
  • Die Schlacht am Rayhin (Kryson, #1)
  • Zakon Drzewa Pomarańczy. Część 2
  • Love line
  • The Wheel of Time Roleplaying Game
  • Das gestohlene Herz der Anderwelt (Pan-Trilogie, Spin-off, #2)
  • Darkmore Penitentiary (Supernatural Prison for Dark Fae, #1)
  • Mage de bataille : Tome 1
  • Ghosts of Ascalon (Guild Wars, #1)
  • Palace of Blood - Die Königin (Palace-Saga, #4)
  • The Stranger House
  • Spring (Hyddenworld, #1)
Trudi Canavan was born in Kew, Melbourne and grew up in Ferntree Gully, a suburb at the foothills of the Dandenongs.

In 1999 she won the Aurealis Award for Best Fantasy Short Story with “Whispers of the Mist Children”. In the same year she was granted a writers residency at Varuna Writers’ Centre in Katoomba, New South Wales.

In November 2001, The Magicians’ Guild was first published in Australia. T

Age of the Five (3 books)
  • Last of the Wilds (Age of the Five, #2)
  • Voice of the Gods (Age of the Five, #3)

News & Interviews