Start by marking “The Lying Planet” as Want to Read:
The Lying Planet

The Lying Planet

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  112 ratings  ·  67 reviews
Promise City. That’s the colony I’ve been aiming for all my life on the planet Liberty. The only thing standing in my way? The Machine. On my eighteenth birthday, this mysterious, octopus-like device will scan my brain and Test my deeds. Good thing I’ve been focusing on being Jay Lawton, hard worker and rule follower, my whole life. Freedom is just beyond my fingertips.

Or
Published September 19th 2016 by Entangled Teen

To ask other readers questions about The Lying Planet, please sign up.
Carol Riggs Hi Carol--thanks for your question, and I'm glad you enjoyed The Lying Planet! Right now, there are no plans for a #2 for this book. Sorry! But I…moreHi Carol--thanks for your question, and I'm glad you enjoyed The Lying Planet! Right now, there are no plans for a #2 for this book. Sorry! But I never say Never. I didn't plan a sequel for my book, THE BODY INSTITUTE, and now I've written a companion novel. (less)

really liked it 4.00  ·

Brenda
Jay Lawton had spent his life working hard on the planet Liberty. His parents had taught their children to strive for the best and Jay was known for his diligence. His elder brother Chad was already in Promise City and Jay hoped to join him when he was tested on his eighteenth birthday. The only thing he was really sad about was leaving his two younger sisters, Tammi and Rachel – but he promised to return to see them along with his parents as soon as he could.

Two weeks prior to his eighteenth bi
Carrie
Sep 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Jay Lawton lives on the planet Liberty with his parents and younger siblings. When the children on Liberty turn eighteen they are put in a machine that will determine whether their good deeds they've done so far in their lives outweigh the bad. Higher scores equal special prizes to start their new adult lives in another colony known as Promise City.

Jay has spent his whole life volunteering and studying to be able to try for the highest score anyone had ever gotten during his testing. But two we
Melissa (YA Book Shelf)
Sep 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Seriously impossible to put down. If you like sci-fi set on other planets with parallels to Earth, if you appreciate villains who are super creepy, but who, in a few instances, seem to show some compassion...just not long enough...then you'll want to pick this one up.

Jay is such a strong character, who grows and is able to open the eyes of many teens to the truth of their situation. The concept of betrayal is so strong here, especially because of who is using Jay and the other children.

You won
Kaitlin
Sep 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
My review can be found on my blog :)

Dianne
Celebrate the Release of THE LYING PLANET with Carol Riggs! Enter to WIN a $25 Amazon Gift Card
Click on Banner to Enter!

Study hard, they said. Be kind, have honor and trust in the system and you will be given your pass to Promise City, where your whole life will lay ahead of you like a midnight buffet. Jay Lawton was every parent’s dream, an excellent student, never getting into trouble, a rule follower, so two weeks before he was to take “The Test” when he turned eighteen, everyone expected a
Nicole
Sep 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks, favorites
The Lying Planet!!! First things first: I received this book through NetGalley.

Once again this is one of the books I have on my kindle app for forever and I hate that I haven't read this earlier. Damn it.

Summary: Promise City. That’s the colony I’ve been aiming for all my life on the planet Liberty. The only thing standing in my way? The Machine. On my eighteenth birthday, this mysterious, octopus-like device will scan my brain and Test my deeds. Good thing I’ve been focusing on being Jay Lawt
Nina-Tala (JustAddAWord) Shannak
*I received an Advanced Reader's Copy from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. This has not influenced my opinion in any way.*

This first struck me as very, I say very familiar. I'm not sure how good that quality is, because one of the most important characteristics a book has to have for me to personally enjoy it is originality.

So, what's is about? Well, The Lying Planet centers on Jay Lawton, who lives on planet Liberty. Jay is about to turn eighteen, which means that
Tamara
Sep 14, 2016 rated it liked it
2.5 Stars

I was given a free copy from the author in exchange for an honest review

Jay is the male MC and narrator of The Lying Planet. That title, it's just perfect for the story; yet the story....it fell flat in terms of the writing and the desire to continue reading.

I've read another novel from Carol Riggs, Bottled. That book was written flawlessly and beautifully. But when I read The Lying Planet, I couldn't help but feel that the writing was underdeveloped. It's not that the whole novel was
Siobhan
Jul 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The synopsis of The Lying Planet really grabbed me, and I instantly knew it was a book I wanted to read. Despite my interest, it took me a while to start the book. I kept delaying it to read other things, kept bumping it down my to-read list. I’m rather annoyed with myself for doing such a thing because once I started reading the story I came to really enjoy it.

I’ll admit that it took me a couple of chapters to be gripped by this story. Things are a bit slow at the start, and I found myself wait
Cassandra Fear
Aug 05, 2017 added it
Shelves: dnf
I signed up to review The Lying Planet, but I just couldn't get into it. I want to thank heatherbloggs for giving me the opportunity to read this book.

I want to say it isn't the writing because from what I can tell it is written well, but for some reason I couldn't get pulled into the story. I found myself reading more than one book, and often I'd forget I was even reading this one and go to the other one because it held my attention. Again, this has nothing to do with the writing, I just think
Gavin Abdollahi
Nov 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: novel, ya, sci-fi, romance, 2016, owned
So, I received this as a gift from a friend, and to that friend, I say this:
Thank You!

TLP is a nice, originally realistic sci-fi novel, which takes place in the future; a future where earth is forced to send off some of its inhabitants to another planet, called Liberty.
The planet is divided into three zones, which, I think, sorry I'm kinda bad with names, were called Fort Refuge, Fort Hope, and... Not sure.
In these zones, kids are raised by their parents until they turn eighteen. When they turn
Moriah
Sep 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
*This review can also be found here on A Leisure Moment*

**I received an eARC of this book in exchange for an honest review**

description

When I saw this cover, I knew I had to read this book. The sense of hopelessness, the undercurrent of mystery, and definite sci-fi hues sucked me in, and I hoped the story inside was just as wonderful.

Jay Lawton had always been the good guy. He followed all the rules of Sanctuary, a small town on the planet Liberty that was safe from the effects of the deadly dust in the o
Poulami
Sep 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Originally posted on Daydreaming Books.

*I received an eARC of this book from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.*

This was a really an awesome read! I didn't quite expect the way it turned out but I am glad to say I loved it! The twists and turns were quite surprising as well.

Jay has worked hard his whole life to succeed in mandatory the testing that happens to everyone once they turn eighteen. The testing places the undeserved to banishment while the ones who score good
Jennifer Y.
Oct 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016-reads
*I received a copy of this book through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.*

With its unique setting and characters, The Lying Planet is a fascinating YA Sci Fi novel.

At first the story appears to be like many other YA books I have read with a ceremony that determines the young residents’ standing in society and the rebels who want to change things, but it has its own unique spin and definitely takes a turn unlike any other book that I have read lately.

In this complex, fascinating world,
Kalli Bunch
Sep 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
So my first question: is there a sequel?? Will there be?? I could talk about this book all day!! It is so hard not to post spoilers!!!
This book is has many layers to it. It tells a story of children living a basic cult-like life. It has been brow-beat into them to follow certain rules and codes of conduct for greater rewards at their time of testing at the age of eighteen, and punishment and a threat of banishment if they fail. They are told banishment will end in certain death, as the planet i
Vanessa ♛Queen Alchemy ϟ Novel Nerd Faction♛
I received this book for free from the author/publisher via YA Reads in exchange for an honest review.

This book reminds me of why I love science fiction and dystopia. The story is so compelling that I could hardly put the book down!

This book has such a carefully constructed world. Everything is so creative and imaginative. I loved all of the details and descriptions.

The plot was very engaging. I did see some similarities to other science fiction and dystopian tropes, but they were not overwhelm
Diana
Sep 15, 2016 rated it it was ok
The book began at a great pacing and with lots of interesting characters and with a very good plot. And I mean VERY GOOD. I was very surprised when everything began to be revealed (I am saying nothing as to save the surprises for future readers), but then it began to feel as we were moving around the same all the time and that the plot didn't move forward. At some point I began to lose interest, eventhough the outside and the dogs are great and lovely parts, respectively.
But the "war" in the en
Angelina
Jan 11, 2017 rated it liked it
This book had well developed characters, the world building was well constructed, it had a lot of advantages and the concept was amazing but I found it a lot similar to other books like divergent which for me spoiled a lot the fun of reading it....

But I would recommend it to people that like these kind of books.
John Purvis
Oct 27, 2016 rated it liked it
“The Lying Planet” eBook was published in 2016 and was written by Carol Riggs (http://www.carolriggs.com). This is Ms. Riggs’ third novel.

I received a galley of this novel for review through https://www.netgalley.com. I categorize this novel as barely ‘R’ because it contains scenes of Violence. The story is set at some time in the future after humanity has begun to colonize planets around other stars. The main character is 17 year old Jay Lawton.

Humanity is struggling to survive after a civil
Derik
Sep 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was provided an advanced copy of this book in exchange for an honest review so here's what I think of The Lying Planet by Carol Riggs.

This book is very unique and takes place on a planet in a distant galaxy that was settled by people from Earth many generations ago. The main character is excited to turn 18 so he can venture out and explore the rest of the planet with his girlfriend. I don't to spoil any of story so I won't share too much information, but I can say there are a few unexpected e
Nicole Hewitt
2.5/5 Stars

This review and many more can be found on my blog: Feed Your Fiction Addiction

I really enjoyed this author’s first book, but I somehow just couldn’t get into this one. I couldn’t exactly put my finger why I wasn’t enjoying the book because there wasn’t anything terribly wrong with it. Nothing that made me cringe or sigh in frustration. If you’re a big fan of science fiction, you might love this one. But, for me, it was just a bit too drawn out—lots of talking about doing things and no
Ayah
Oct 01, 2016 rated it liked it
I received an ARC of The Lying Planet from the publisher via NetGalley, in exchange with an honest review.

A great plot that will make you see LIFE from a different perspective .

Okay, I know that I only gave it 2.5 stars, but I still stand by my previous sentence. The correlation the author made between "how humans take care of animals, then kill them for food" and "what the aliens are actually doing" is truly phenomenal . Carol is not a vegan, but the way humans are disgusted by how these aliens
Kel (Faerie-bookworm)
Title: The Lying Planet
Author: Carol Riggs
Genre: Young Adult, SciFi, Dystopian
Format: Ebook, NetGalley
Pages: 285
Rating: 5
Heat: 2

Thoughts: Wow, wasn't expecting that!! I assumed there were aliens but didn't even come close to figuring out what they were doing until I got to that part, and all I'll say is ewww. Very easy story to get pulled into, nothing is as it seems so it's a page turner. You've been warned, if you don't start this early in the day you will be up late finishing it. So far
Debbie Bratt
Sep 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book has left me wanting more. I literally could not put this book down. What a great idea for a book. On very many levels this book makes you think about (good v. Evil/truth v. perceived truth/ rebel v. Responsible/ predator v. Prey/right v. Wrong (etc.))

The struggle is real. Often in life we have to do the right thing for the greater good, but can we spare the individuals for the cohesive group? I really enjoyed Jay's inner dilemma (specially when he is sabotaging himself and the test).

W
Neil
Dec 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
I received a free copy via Netgalley in exchange for a honest review.

This is not my usual type of read.
This is a well written YA story which pulled me in from the start, with great characters and plenty of action.

Naema
Jul 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: recommended
Anushkaa
Aug 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Aliens versus Humans. It's back again. With 75% of it's glory, might I add.

I received a copy of this book for an honest review and here it goes.

You do expect more from a YA Science Fiction book, but, this book does fair justice to that expectation to some extent. Interesting concepts of time and galactic fantasies that you've pondered on, this book has it all. The only lag is the detailing. Sometimes, trivial information can really be interesting since I'm really intrigued about this new stuff
Hope
** I received a copy from the author in exchange for an honest review. **

First Impression: Another planet full of mystery, sometime in the future. Sounds intriguing.

Characters: Most of the characters are children and teenagers. No spoilers, but the adults in this society are unlike you can imagine. I really liked the heroes of this story, and cared about their journey.

World Building: The Lying Planet is gorgeous on the cover as well as inside its pages. I can easily imagine this becoming a film,
Nicole Lambert
Jul 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
NOTE: I received this book for free in exchange for an honest review.

The first thing that I would like to say is that this book was nothing like anything I've ever read before. I enjoyed how it was still classified as YA, but it did not follow the typical YA formula that you tend to see in a lot of YA books. The imagery regarding the aliens was extremely grotesque, and their purpose with the humans sent chills down my spine. In all honesty, I could barely tear myself away from this book for even
LJ (On The Shelf Reviews)
Jul 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I received a copy of this in exchange for an honest review.

Jay Lawton is a good guy. Always does his best, helps others and completes his community service without complaint. He wants to get the highest score ever in his testing and go to the Promise City. But then his competitor (arch-nemesis is probably a bit too strong here) Blake, who was tipped for success, gets banished. Jay uncovers the truth about his planet overnight (literally) and he must do everything he can to stop the testings.

I fo
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • The Goat Children
  • Zephyr the West Wind (Chaos Chronicles #1)
  • We Are Savages
  • The Battle for Princess Madeline
  • Chimera (Universe Eventual, #1)
  • Kitty Hawk and the Curse of the Yukon Gold (Kitty Hawk Flying Detective Agency, #1)
  • Egypt Rising
  • Fire Prophet (Son of Angels, #2)
  • Just A Game
  • Trash Can Days: A Middle School Saga
  • Against the Darkness (Cimmerian Moon, #1)
  • Drama Unsung
  • Ophelia Adrift
  • The Twilight Swimmer
  • Leighton's Summer (SYNSK, #2)
  • Rules for Riders
  • The Ones That Disappeared
  • Waves of Reprisal
I'm a writer of Young Adult fiction who lives in the beautiful, green state of Oregon. My sci-fi debut, THE BODY INSTITUTE, explores themes of body image and identity. My other books are BOTTLED, THE LYING PLANET, and Books 1-3 of the JUNCTION 2020 series. I have a Studio Arts degree and I'm a longtime SCBWI member.

You'll usually find me in my writing cave, surrounded by my dragon collection and