Jump to ratings and reviews

The Lying Planet

Before the ceremonies are over and the horror begins.

322 pages, Kindle Edition

First published September 26, 2016

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Carol Riggs

13 books275 followers
Body-swapping and genies and portals--oh my! I'm a writer of clean-read Young Adult fiction who lives in the beautiful green state of Oregon, USA. My sci-fi debut, THE BODY INSTITUTE, explores themes of body image and identity. Its sequel, SPARES, released January 2021.

I have a Studio Arts degree and I'm a longtime SCBWI member. You'll usually find me in my writing cave, surrounded by my dragon collection and the characters in my head. I enjoy reading--mostly young adult novels--as well as drawing, painting, and working jigsaw puzzles. I also enjoy music and dance of all kinds.

Find me on Facebook here: https://www.facebook.com/CarolRiggsAu...
Tweet with me on Twitter. @CRiggsAuthor: https://twitter.com/CRiggsAuthor
Email me! carolriggsauthor [at] gmail [dot] com
BOOK TRAILER: http://www.entangledteen.com/the-body...

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
6 (4%)
1 star
0 (0%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 68 reviews
Profile Image for Brenda.
3,972 reviews2,585 followers
September 13, 2016
Jay Lawton had spent his life working hard on the planet Liberty. His parents had taught their children to strive for the best and Jay was known for his diligence. His elder brother Chad was already in Promise City and Jay hoped to join him when he was tested on his eighteenth birthday. The only thing he was really sad about was leaving his two younger sisters, Tammi and Rachel – but he promised to return to see them along with his parents as soon as he could.

Two weeks prior to his eighteenth birthday, Jay was at another ceremony where others were tested. To qualify to leave for Promise City, the total needed to be above twenty-five – under that number and the person was banished to the outer colonies, never to return. The intense shock of all there when first Blake, then Shelly both tested under twenty-five was shattering. Their banishment stopped Jay in his tracks; Jay’s discovery not that much later that everything at their colony was not as it seemed was worse than anything he’d known before. His whole life; everyone’s complete existence had been based on lies…

What would Jay do? His was a race against time – the only person who seemed to believe him was Jay’s childhood friend, Peyton. Could they possibly do anything to change the outcome of what appeared to be destined?

Wow! What a stunning science fiction novel The Lying Planet by Carol Riggs has turned out to be! Breathtaking, extremely fast paced and completely imaginative The Lying Planet had me riveted until the last page. Highly recommended to all lovers of the genre.

With thanks to NetGalley and the author for this copy to read in exchange for my honest review.
Profile Image for Carrie.
3,036 reviews1,500 followers
September 11, 2016
Jay Lawton lives on the planet Liberty with his parents and younger siblings. When the children on Liberty turn eighteen they are put in a machine that will determine whether their good deeds they've done so far in their lives outweigh the bad. Higher scores equal special prizes to start their new adult lives in another colony known as Promise City.

Jay has spent his whole life volunteering and studying to be able to try for the highest score anyone had ever gotten during his testing. But two weeks before Jay is to step in the machine he finds that his colony is not the place he's always thought it was and there are shocking secrets among the adults. Jay now only has two weeks to tank his test scores to try to save his own life and convince others of the danger.

The Lying Planet was a really fast paced fun young adult read. The official synopsis is a bit vague to what a reader will find themselves getting into with this one so I've kept my recap a bit vague too so as not to spoil the surprise but what this reminds me of is sort of the good old fashion campy sci-fi/horror.

This one had me intrigued from the start, you just know something is extremely questionable with the testing coming up for the main character to give a bit of intensity right away. It doesn't take too long for the big reveal to the deeper part of the plot and it's definitely action packed from there as things are figured out.

Overall, to me this one is a fun bit of somewhat campy sci-fi/horror, would definitely recommend checking this one out.

I received an advance copy from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

For more reviews please visit https://carriesbookreviews.wordpress....
Profile Image for Melissa (YA Book Shelf).
741 reviews133 followers
September 7, 2016
Seriously impossible to put down. If you like sci-fi set on other planets with parallels to Earth, if you appreciate villains who are super creepy, but who, in a few instances, seem to show some compassion...just not long enough...then you'll want to pick this one up.

Jay is such a strong character, who grows and is able to open the eyes of many teens to the truth of their situation. The concept of betrayal is so strong here, especially because of who is using Jay and the other children.

You won't want to miss this one.
Profile Image for Dianne.
6,765 reviews577 followers
September 19, 2016
Celebrate the Release of THE LYING PLANET with Carol Riggs! Enter to WIN a $25 Amazon Gift Card
Click on Banner to Enter!

Study hard, they said. Be kind, have honor and trust in the system and you will be given your pass to Promise City, where your whole life will lay ahead of you like a midnight buffet. Jay Lawton was every parent’s dream, an excellent student, never getting into trouble, a rule follower, so two weeks before he was to take “The Test” when he turned eighteen, everyone expected a one of the highest scores ever, including Jay. It it all changed one night and his world went from an almost Utopian existence to the most horrific nightmare a child could imagine and there was no one to turn to, except his peers.

Too bad few were trustworthy enough to either believe in his words or at least not go running to the adults, the very beings that terrified Jay. Was it possible to undermine “The Test” and not be sent to Promise City? If one failed and were exiled, what then? This is Jay’s story and his fight for the survival of his fellow students. How much would you sacrifice to save your friends? What about your family?

Carol Riggs’ The Lying Planet is young adult science fiction at its best as one boy keeps a level head in the face of death and deceit for the sake of humanity’s future. And you thought your parents were evil because they lied to you about the Easter Bunny? Hang on tight as the tension ramps up, and the race is on for survival against the odds as teens are forced to come of age and make the hard decisions no child should have to make.

I received an ARC edition from Entangled: digiTeen in exchange for my honest review.

Publisher: Entangled: digiTeen (September 19, 2016)
Publication Date: September 19, 2016
Genre: 12+ YA Science Fiction/Fantasy
Print Length: 285 pages
Available from: Amazon | Barnes & Noble
For Reviews & More: http://tometender.blogspot.com

Profile Image for Nicole.
512 reviews46 followers
April 10, 2017
The Lying Planet!!! First things first: I received this book through NetGalley.

Once again this is one of the books I have on my kindle app for forever and I hate that I haven't read this earlier. Damn it.

Summary: Promise City. That’s the colony I’ve been aiming for all my life on the planet Liberty. The only thing standing in my way? The Machine. On my eighteenth birthday, this mysterious, octopus-like device will scan my brain and Test my deeds. Good thing I’ve been focusing on being Jay Lawton, hard worker and rule follower, my whole life. Freedom is just beyond my fingertips.Or so I thought. Two weeks before my Testing with the Machine, I’ve stumbled upon a new reality. The truth. In a single sleepless night, everything I thought I knew about the adults in our colony changes. And the only one who’s totally on my side is the clever, beautiful rebel, Peyton. Together we have to convince the others to sabotage their Testings before it’s too late.Before the ceremonies are over and the hunting begins.

I don't know what exactly I expected when I requested and much much later started reading the book, but it sure as hell wasn't what I actually got in the end. AND I LOVED IT.

I loved the writing, I loved the whole story and I LOVED the characters.

It was so easy to get into, I didn't have any problems understanding the world this was set in, nor did I ever feel overwhelmed by informations on how life on this planet worked.

The story itself was just plain crazy. The truth about the testing and the life of the adults in the colony was just disturbing. I mean with stories like this, there is always something wrong in the way the world was viewed until someone stumbles upon the truth and tries to make things right again. But still, I didn't expect things to be that insane.
I loved it, though.

I loved the characters. not just the main character. Even the kids that seemed kinda shady in the beginning, turned into characters that I really liked and really cared about. Peyton stole my heart. It is always like this, I don't know what it is about sidecharacters like her, that suck me in right from the beginning. But I truly loved her and I really loved her relationship with Jay. They just gave me all the feels. Also talking about feels, the family feels I got about Jay and his sisters where just too much. I loved their moments so much.

Overall I really recommend this book. It's really sci fi heavy but never to a point where you feel like you need a degree to understand what the heck is going on. And the whole book is just one hell of a crazy roller coaster ride.
Profile Image for Tala .
192 reviews93 followers
September 20, 2016
*I received an Advanced Reader's Copy from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. This has not influenced my opinion in any way.*

This first struck me as very, I say very familiar. I'm not sure how good that quality is, because one of the most important characteristics a book has to have for me to personally enjoy it is originality.

So, what's is about? Well, The Lying Planet centers on Jay Lawton, who lives on planet Liberty. Jay is about to turn eighteen, which means that he will be tested with the Machine. This result basically decides whether he will go to Promise City or be banished.

Sound familiar?

See, I think this book is a perfect example of a 2-star read. My 2-stars mean that I personally did not enjoy it, but I see how others could. Really. That's all that means, and this book fits neatly into that slot.

Because, let's be completely honest here, shall we? How many times have we seen this before? Divergent, anyone? The Unwanteds? Hmm? And that's just a couple of well-known ones.

Really, it doesn't matter if you call it the "simulation" or the "Purge" or what-have-you.

It's the same. Exact. Concept.
Again and again and again.

Thing is, if I haven't read anything else like this, I'd actually enjoy it. The writing is engaging and progresses fluidly. The characters? I could read about them all day. They were interesting; they really were. The world was well-developed.

It's simply the entire concept that just couldn't hold my attention.

But really? If you've never really read anything of this genre, go ahead. Really. The Lying Planet's only flaw, really, is that it's a bit cliché.
Profile Image for Siobhan.
4,403 reviews462 followers
July 29, 2017
The synopsis of The Lying Planet really grabbed me, and I instantly knew it was a book I wanted to read. Despite my interest, it took me a while to start the book. I kept delaying it to read other things, kept bumping it down my to-read list. I’m rather annoyed with myself for doing such a thing because once I started reading the story I came to really enjoy it.

I’ll admit that it took me a couple of chapters to be gripped by this story. Things are a bit slow at the start, and I found myself waiting for the action to begin. Once things started to open up, once the information started to come together, I found myself truly addicted. I went from mere interest to addiction, finishing the book in a single sitting. Honestly, it was so addictive – I needed to know how everything played out, I needed to know all the details.

Mixing two things I love – dystopian societies and aliens – together, this story gives us a wonderful science fiction read. As much as I love dystopian tales, I do find myself questioning them as of late. The trend has been going on for quite some time, and it’s rare for me to find one that holds my attention. Whilst The Lying Planet has the standard necessities of any dystopian tale, there were enough unique elements thrown in to keep me addicted and intrigued throughout. The seamless blending of a dystopian society and an alien world made this one a wonderful read.

With great characters and an interesting storyline, The Lying Planet grips you from the moment the first major piece of information is dropped. You’re constantly left with questions regarding where the story will head, you’re pulled in as you hope for the best, and you cannot help but keep turning the pages. The story runs so smoothly, giving you everything you expecting from an engaging read.

Despite my enjoyment of the story, there was one element I was never overly pleased with – the romance. Over the last couple of years, I’ve started reading a lot more romance novels and, if anything, it has made me pickier when it comes to romantic subplots in stories. I really have to buy into the stories to enjoy them. With this one, things felt a bit forced. Personally, I think this story would have been better had there been less drama in the romance department. At times it felt unnecessary, as though it were overshadowing the other elements of the story I was interested in. I know it did play a role in the story, but I would have liked for there to be a lesser focus upon it.

Overall, though, I really enjoyed this one. It was an addictive story, and I’m certainly interested in seeing what else the author has to offer.
Profile Image for Cassandra Fear.
Author 12 books140 followers
Read
August 6, 2017
I signed up to review The Lying Planet, but I just couldn't get into it. I want to thank heatherbloggs for giving me the opportunity to read this book.

I want to say it isn't the writing because from what I can tell it is written well, but for some reason I couldn't get pulled into the story. I found myself reading more than one book, and often I'd forget I was even reading this one and go to the other one because it held my attention. Again, this has nothing to do with the writing, I just think it wasn't the right story for me right now. Do I think I might like this book another time? Yes. I do. But, right now, I just can't get into it and since I signed up to review, I figured I needed to write one so the author didn't think I didn't follow through.

The first person present tense isn't my first choice of style to read, either. Even if it's executed well, I feel like I struggle to get pulled into the story in this POV and tense. Again, it isn't the author, her story, or anything to do with the writing because from what I did read it was nicely written. It just wasn't for me right now.

But, it might be at another time.

For that reason, I chose not to give this book a rating, and I also would still recommend this book because it is something a lot of people would get into. Unfortunately, I just couldn't get into at this time.

I was given a free copy of this book in exchange for my honest review by heather's book tour. These are my honest opinions.
Profile Image for Gavin Abdollahi .
262 reviews
July 6, 2018
So, I received this as a gift from a friend, and to that friend, I say this:
Thank You!

TLP is a nice, originally realistic sci-fi novel, which takes place in the future; a future where earth is forced to send off some of its inhabitants to another planet, called Liberty.
The planet is divided into three zones, which, I think, sorry I'm kinda bad with names, were called Fort Refuge, Fort Hope, and... Not sure.
In these zones, kids are raised by their parents until they turn eighteen. When they turn eighteen, the Machine tests them. It weighs all the good that they have done against the bad. If their score is high, they are rewarded with a prize to take along with them to Paradise City. If they get a score below twenty five, they are branded, and banished out of the zones to die.
Jay Lawton is a seventeen year old boy, who has dedicated his life to good deeds, in order to score high during his testing, gain a vehicle, the name of which I can't remember, oh, I think it was called a cloud skimmer, and head out to Paradise City and live with his girlfriend, Aubrie, there.
Only a little bit is left till Jay's testing... and that's when it happens.
One night, Jay forgets to take his sleeping pill, and hears a sound.
A sound which changes everything.
That's it from me! Anything more would be considered a spoiler.
Seriously, though, go read this book. It's severely under-read, and I believe more people should give it a try.

A good thing about this book is that it's full of surprises.
Seriously, I can usually predict what's gonna happen, but did not here.
Another thing is that it's realistic.

The only complaints I have are on the emotions of the characters, which I felt could have been improved a bit more, and the ending of the .
But other than that, The Lying Planet is a pretty good sci fi ya novel, which you should definetely go out and buy.

Recommend for, well, pretty much anyone, since their's absolutely zero bad content here (another upside, quite rare nowadays.)
Profile Image for Tamara.
407 reviews24 followers
September 15, 2016
2.5 Stars

I was given a free copy from the author in exchange for an honest review

Jay is the male MC and narrator of The Lying Planet. That title, it's just perfect for the story; yet the story....it fell flat in terms of the writing and the desire to continue reading.

I've read another novel from Carol Riggs, Bottled. That book was written flawlessly and beautifully. But when I read The Lying Planet, I couldn't help but feel that the writing was underdeveloped. It's not that the whole novel was written poorly, it's that the characters behaved like 13 year olds rather than 17/18 year olds.

Here's another thing, I personally don't often read in male perspective, but because I enjoyed Bottled, and the synopsis of The Lying Planet sounded promising, I jumped at the opportunity to read and review this book. But Jay was so boring. Even his relationships were so forced and boring.

The story also moved quickly after Jay is . There was poor world development of how the others . Not even that, Jay instantly becomes the hero and then it's all rushed again.

However,

I do believe others might enjoy The Lying Planet, but I clearly am not among those people. Also, I wish I could write a summary on the novel, but I feel doing so may create multiple chances of spoiling the book.
Profile Image for Moriah.
691 reviews86 followers
September 23, 2016
*This review can also be found here on A Leisure Moment*

**I received an eARC of this book in exchange for an honest review**

description

When I saw this cover, I knew I had to read this book. The sense of hopelessness, the undercurrent of mystery, and definite sci-fi hues sucked me in, and I hoped the story inside was just as wonderful.

Jay Lawton had always been the good guy. He followed all the rules of Sanctuary, a small town on the planet Liberty that was safe from the effects of the deadly dust in the outer regions, and wanted the highest score possible when his testing day arrived. I had to get used to Jay’s voice. At first he kind of irritated me, but later I sort of liked him. The “mom and dad are always right” thing didn’t quite fit the mold of not just any teenager but any person on the planet. When he started to think for himself, I started to like him more.

The testing reminded me of The Giver. Each teenager at the age of eighteen, unlike twelve in The Giver, was tested and put somewhere. In The Lying Planet somewhere equated to banishment or New Paradise. No one had been outside of Sanctuary, unless it was to one of the other two safe places on Liberty, so New Paradise was what most wanted. I liked the mystery behind the testing and what it meant for the citizens, but I would have liked a little more of it. Yes, it played a central role in the plot development, but I felt it needed to hold up some more in the story. The Machine seemed integral to the story at the beginning but kind of faded into the background as the story continued. However, the story takes place over a two-week period. Riggs packed a lot of story in two weeks, almost a whirlwind of events, which was one testing to the next, so I understood why I didn’t read more about it.

There was some relationship stuff that took place in the novel. It can’t be called romance, per se, but there was some attraction mentioned. Kissing scenes didn’t really fit in this story, so the one or so that were placed toward the end were the only ones that truly had a place. If you’re looking for a sci-fi romance this is not the book to turn to. If you’re looking for sci-fi with classic undertones, such as Octavia Butler’s “Bloodchild” or Fredrick Brown’s “Arena,” this is right up your alley.

While “Bloodchild” and “Arena” are more blood and gore, doom and darkness—though The Lying Planet does have dome definite doom and gloom—The Lying Planet would suit readers that love sci-fi but don’t want the uber descriptive feasting of males or the killing of entire species. Hey, I enjoyed those stories, but they’re not for everyone. In other words, The Lying Planet is a clean read. Riggs garnered a set of colloquialism for the citizens of Liberty instead of some four-letter words. I found it creative, and it added to the story in a unique way.

The Lying Planet will satisfy your sci-fi urges and remind you of some of the classics. It has mystery, suspense, and a plot twist that will make your jaw drop.

Follow A Leisure Moment

Facebook | Twitter | Goodreads | Instagram | BlogLovin | YouTube | Itunes

Profile Image for Poulami.
336 reviews41 followers
September 20, 2016
Originally posted on Daydreaming Books.

*I received an eARC of this book from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.*

This was a really an awesome read! I didn't quite expect the way it turned out but I am glad to say I loved it! The twists and turns were quite surprising as well.

Jay has worked hard his whole life to succeed in mandatory the testing that happens to everyone once they turn eighteen. The testing places the undeserved to banishment while the ones who score good are sent off to other so called protective areas like the Promise City for their future, only no one has ever returned from those places ever. Jay stumbles upon the horrifying truth just a few days before his testing ceremony. Will the others believe him, will he be able to save them or get caught in the process?

This was a super fun and intriguing read! I wasn't really expecting how the plot turned out but I am mighty impressed! I simply loved it! It was pretty hard to put this book down and I basically devoured it in one sitting. It's really hard to discuss this book without spoiling so you guys have to read it to know the full truth! Jay has always been the obedient son, he has worked hard so that he can get good score in the testing and then he'll be assigned his dream job. But one simple mischance and he stumbles upon the horrifying truth. The plot twist was really well done! I couldn't freaking believe my eyes when I read it.

However I felt that the characters could have been more fleshed out. I did like Jay, he was pretty brave when he decided to break the rules and find out the truth. I loved that he was loyal but I don't know, I would have liked him a lot better if he had been just a teeny-tiny bit less cooped up.

I liked Peyton, she was the only one to believe Jay when he told his friends the truth. I understand their situation but still I would have loved I there was some more chemistry between them. Nonetheless I liked the last portion a lot, although it seemed quite sudden how everyone kinda agreed, I needed a bit more convincing but it was pretty enjoyable!

Overall, The Lying Planet was a fantastic read! I loved the plot and the story was executed neatly though the characters could have been a bit more worked out. The writing was smooth and easy to read and the pace was fast throughout the book! I enjoyed the action and the suspense and I was on the edge while reading this book!

Recommend it?

Profile Image for Jennifer Y..
175 reviews33 followers
October 2, 2016
*I received a copy of this book through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.*

With its unique setting and characters, The Lying Planet is a fascinating YA Sci Fi novel.

At first the story appears to be like many other YA books I have read with a ceremony that determines the young residents’ standing in society and the rebels who want to change things, but it has its own unique spin and definitely takes a turn unlike any other book that I have read lately.

In this complex, fascinating world, a machine measures your positive and negative thoughts and actions. Your score on this machine determines your fate on the planet…high scores are rewarded and low scores could equal banishment. Jay is young man determined to be one of the high scorers, but things change for him once he discovers an unusual secret that his parents and other adults in the community have been hiding from him. He becomes determined to figure out the truth behind what he witnesses and confides in some of his peers hoping they can help. What happens next changes the world he lives in and has a major effect on him and his actions.

This complex, fascinating world that Carol Riggs created really stood out to me among the other dystopian/sci fi novels I have read. I became as curious as Jay to figure out what was going on and to know more about this planet and its secrets. Little did I know the surprises and events that would follow…really don’t want to spoil it, so I will just say it truly was an unexpected and unique reading experience.

His relationships with other characters are also interesting and play an important part in this story. I loved all of the characters that the author created and enjoyed learning more about each of them through Jay’s eyes. This book not only had an intriguing plot and setting, but also strong character development that really helped to make this story entertaining from the very first page to its exciting and satisfying conclusion. I wouldn’t say no to more books by this author or set in this interesting world.
Profile Image for Kalli Bunch.
395 reviews18 followers
September 8, 2016
So my first question: is there a sequel?? Will there be?? I could talk about this book all day!! It is so hard not to post spoilers!!!
This book is has many layers to it. It tells a story of children living a basic cult-like life. It has been brow-beat into them to follow certain rules and codes of conduct for greater rewards at their time of testing at the age of eighteen, and punishment and a threat of banishment if they fail. They are told banishment will end in certain death, as the planet is filled with Genomide Dust that will kill anybody that comes in contact with it. Each night, they are given a protection pill, and each day they have mandatory classes and community service. But when the kids find out exactly WHY they're being tested, why they have been told they have to live a certain way, when they discover what exactly they're facing they muster courage despite their fear.

I can't say much more without spoiling the book, but I will say this: I couldn't put it down. This is not the type of book I normally read, but I think I found a new favorite author!! This book was very well written, and there will be times when you wish you could jump into the story and scream and yell, or fight along-side the characters. If there were more than 5 stars for ratings, I would give this book extra stars!!
Profile Image for Diana.
1,699 reviews215 followers
September 15, 2016
The book began at a great pacing and with lots of interesting characters and with a very good plot. And I mean VERY GOOD. I was very surprised when everything began to be revealed (I am saying nothing as to save the surprises for future readers), but then it began to feel as we were moving around the same all the time and that the plot didn't move forward. At some point I began to lose interest, eventhough the outside and the dogs are great and lovely parts, respectively.
But the "war" in the end... let's say it didn't convince me. It is a pity the force of the original idea was getting lost as the book moved on, as it had me gripped at the beginning.
Profile Image for Angelina.
108 reviews36 followers
February 7, 2017
This book had well developed characters, the world building was well constructed, it had a lot of advantages and the concept was amazing but I found it a lot similar to other books like divergent which for me spoiled a lot the fun of reading it....

But I would recommend it to people that like these kind of books.
Profile Image for John Purvis.
1,117 reviews18 followers
October 27, 2016
“The Lying Planet” eBook was published in 2016 and was written by Carol Riggs (http://www.carolriggs.com). This is Ms. Riggs’ third novel.

I received a galley of this novel for review through https://www.netgalley.com. I categorize this novel as barely ‘R’ because it contains scenes of Violence. The story is set at some time in the future after humanity has begun to colonize planets around other stars. The main character is 17 year old Jay Lawton.

Humanity is struggling to survive after a civil war tore their civilization apart. Now as teens reach their 18th birthday, they are evaluated and either sent on to Promise City for the chance at a better life, or they are banished into with wilderness. At least that is the story that Lawton and his friends have grown up with.

Lawton is in a serious relationship with girlfriend Aubrie. They both expect high scores when tested in the coming weeks. Then they will be able to begin a new life together in Promise City. Lawton though stumbles upon a discovery that completely turns his world upside down.

He finds that the colony is secretly being run by aliens and the lives of himself and all the other kids are at risk. Lawton must find a way to escape, then rescue Aubrie, his sisters, and all of the other kids. He also finds himself torn between feelings for Aubrie and growing feelings for Peyton.

This was an entertaining read of 7+ hours for the 285 page novel. The story moves along well enough, but the plot is a little thin to me even for a Romantic Young Adult Science Fiction novel. The cover art is colorful and sort of relates to the story. I give this novel a 3.4 (rounded down to a 3) out of 5.

Further book reviews I have written can be accessed at https://johnpurvis.wordpress.com/blog/.

My book reviews are also published on Goodreads (https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/3...).
Profile Image for Derik.
71 reviews
September 20, 2016
I was provided an advanced copy of this book in exchange for an honest review so here's what I think of The Lying Planet by Carol Riggs.

This book is very unique and takes place on a planet in a distant galaxy that was settled by people from Earth many generations ago. The main character is excited to turn 18 so he can venture out and explore the rest of the planet with his girlfriend. I don't to spoil any of story so I won't share too much information, but I can say there are a few unexpected events that change the main character and those around him and lead to their lives never being the same again.

I highly recommend this book for anyone who likes new and unique stories. This book is full of great moments that make the reader smile and other moments that having you at the edge of your seat wondering what will happen next. The story that unfolds is both unique and unexpected and one that kept me up past my bedtime many nights because I couldn't put it down and had to know what would happen in the next chapter.

This is the second book I have read by Carol Riggs. I enjoy reading Carol's books because she writes in a way that pulls you into the story and into the lives of the characters.
Profile Image for Nicole M. Hewitt.
1,389 reviews284 followers
Read
August 14, 2019
This review and many more can be found on my blog: Feed Your Fiction Addiction

I really enjoyed this author’s first book, but I somehow just couldn’t get into this one. I couldn’t exactly put my finger why I wasn’t enjoying the book because there wasn’t anything terribly wrong with it. Nothing that made me cringe or sigh in frustration. If you’re a big fan of science fiction, you might love this one. But, for me, it was just a bit too drawn out—lots of talking about doing things and not actually doing them. I thought the twists were a bit obvious and the story got just a little bit cartoonish for me, though I loved the perspective of how one set of characters saw the other—it was very thought-provoking (but I can’t really say much more than that without spoilers). So, while this certainly wasn’t bad, it just didn’t hold my attention. I think it just wasn’t for me. I give it 2.5/5 Stars.

***Disclosure: I received this book from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. No other compensation was given and all opinions are my own.***
218 reviews27 followers
October 7, 2016
I received an ARC of The Lying Planet from the publisher via NetGalley, in exchange with an honest review.

A great plot that will make you see LIFE from a different perspective .

Okay, I know that I only gave it 2.5 stars, but I still stand by my previous sentence. The correlation the author made between "how humans take care of animals, then kill them for food" and "what the aliens are actually doing" is truly phenomenal . Carol is not a vegan, but the way humans are disgusted by how these aliens treat them like animals, made think of Veganism .

I really didn't like Jay, the main character. He acted like a 12 year old and was very self-centered , even when he was planning to save others. It is like he had to be reminded to grieve the dead.

In a world like this, I was expecting a lot of world building and more descriptive events. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to see this in the book.

I think that Carol has a great imagination and stories to tell, but so far her writing style hasn't been my cup of tea.

​I give it 2.5/5 stars.
Profile Image for Kel (Faerie-bookworm).
773 reviews65 followers
Format: Ebook, NetGalley
Pages: 285
Rating: 5
Heat: 2

Thoughts: Wow, wasn't expecting that!! I assumed there were aliens but didn't even come close to figuring out what they were doing until I got to that part, and all I'll say is ewww. Very easy story to get pulled into, nothing is as it seems so it's a page turner. You've been warned, if you don't start this early in the day you will be up late finishing it. So far I have enjoyed every book I've read by Ms. Riggs and look forward to reading more!

Please note that I received a complimentary copy of this work and chose to write a review.
Profile Image for Debbie Bratt.
71 reviews2 followers
September 7, 2016
This book has left me wanting more. I literally could not put this book down. What a great idea for a book. On very many levels this book makes you think about (good v. Evil/truth v. perceived truth/ rebel v. Responsible/ predator v. Prey/right v. Wrong (etc.))

The struggle is real. Often in life we have to do the right thing for the greater good, but can we spare the individuals for the cohesive group? I really enjoyed Jay's inner dilemma (specially when he is sabotaging himself and the test).

What is next? What happens to this lot? Will there be a sequel? Enquiring minds NEED to know!!!

Read on you won't be disappointed.
Profile Image for Neil.
1,370 reviews8 followers
December 3, 2016
I received a free copy via Netgalley in exchange for a honest review.

This is not my usual type of read.
This is a well written YA story which pulled me in from the start, with great characters and plenty of action.

Profile Image for Naema.
58 reviews1 follower
August 1, 2017
This book was given to me in exchange for an honest review. So here it is.

Let’s talk about the book first, it has a beautiful cover and an equally intriguing story line. The twists and turns kept me on the edge throughout the night. Yup I read it during night cause I’m an owl. What intrigued me was the setup of the story human race on a different planet living their lives and that too in a civilized manner without any outer interferences. Which was pretty ironic so to speak. Now that’s where the twists and turns come up.

Getting on to the characters I’d say I loved Jay the male mc of the book. The character development of Jay’s was very intense and happened at a fast rate which was easily understandable.
I liked the role of his father too, one would understand when they read the book. I’d say I hated and liked this character equally. Though other characters were equally important these two were that stood out most.

Now as to what I disliked was the role of his ex-girlfriend the way she reacted to most of the situations was completely stupid TBH I really didn’t like her character too whiny and stupid.
The plot was amazing the story setup was commendable and completely blew me up.
What I would have though liked more was most probably an epilogue of sorts or maybe a little more proper ending I wasn’t satisfied with the way it ended because there was a lot unfinished stuff, the second thing that needed more attention was the testing machine which played an important part in the whole book and yet it didn’t get enough attention.

All in all, I’d say it was an intriguing read full of great twists and turns that kept me on edge throughout the reading time.
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
1 review
August 1, 2017
Aliens versus Humans. It's back again. With 75% of it's glory, might I add.

I received a copy of this book for an honest review and here it goes.

You do expect more from a YA Science Fiction book, but, this book does fair justice to that expectation to some extent. Interesting concepts of time and galactic fantasies that you've pondered on, this book has it all. The only lag is the detailing. Sometimes, trivial information can really be interesting since I'm really intrigued about this new stuff of (13+13=) 26 hours making a day, and a week comprising of 8 days. But beyond that, I couldn't find anymore information regarding the no. of weeks making a year or such. If it had been 52, then surely the characters would be older on Earth than their ages on Planet Liberty, according to Earth-time.

Descriptions of the emotional turmoils that the characters go through seems a bit rushed although, I must mention, Peyton Rainey is a real rebellious sweetheart. It's hard to fall in love with the characters because of the rushed structure, but the efficient system described in places like Sanctuary and New Paradise will make you wonder, "Why the hell is it not like that on Earth?"

The answer is : The administration is headed by humans on Earth, not flesh-eating yet well organized aliens having a clear idea of the species they are dealing with.

All in all, it's a nice timepass, dystopian fantasy where shampoo can kill and the hard-working protagonist turns rogue. Buy the book on Amazon.
Profile Image for Hope.
547 reviews44 followers
September 29, 2017
** I received a copy from the author in exchange for an honest review. **

First Impression: Another planet full of mystery, sometime in the future. Sounds intriguing.

Characters: Most of the characters are children and teenagers. No spoilers, but the adults in this society are unlike you can imagine. I really liked the heroes of this story, and cared about their journey.

World Building: The Lying Planet is gorgeous on the cover as well as inside its pages. I can easily imagine this becoming a film, and would like to see the technology and new home world come to life.

Writing Style: Easy to read and well edited, this book flies by while leaving you wanting a sequel. Appropriate for all ages, which is difficult to find!

What I Enjoyed: The imagination and new take on a dystopian society were refreshing. I read a lot of sci-fi / fantasy, so it's hard to find one I enjoy this much. From the technology to relationships, this book has well-rounded elements. Action, death, love, and many others.

Deal Benders: I can only think of one thing some readers might find wrong with The Lying Planet. If you're looking for enjoyable YA fiction, it's great. Older and more seasoned readers might scoff at its innocence, although I think that was part of the charm.

Overall Rating: 5 stars! This leaves you wondering what's beyond Earth, and feeling satisfied at the same time.

For Fans Of: Clean YA space sci-fi, which is tough to find!
Profile Image for LJ (On The Shelf Reviews).
681 reviews29 followers
July 7, 2017
I received a copy of this in exchange for an honest review.

Jay Lawton is a good guy. Always does his best, helps others and completes his community service without complaint. He wants to get the highest score ever in his testing and go to the Promise City. But then his competitor (arch-nemesis is probably a bit too strong here) Blake, who was tipped for success, gets banished. Jay uncovers the truth about his planet overnight (literally) and he must do everything he can to stop the testings.

I found the goody-goody Jay character a bit annoying at first, a bit too strait laced, but as the story goes on he begins to rebel, he becomes a lot more interesting.

While I was reading this book I honestly thought to myself, ‘if this is how good Sci-Fi is why aren’t I reading more??’ It is so fast paced and action packed, I enjoyed it so much, when I finished it I wanted to read more!

My only issue was the few too many conveniently overheard conversations to drive the plot along and the last few chapters felt a little rushed but overall it’s one of the best books I’ve read this year.
Profile Image for N.M. Lambert.
Author 5 books86 followers
August 1, 2017
NOTE: I received this book for free in exchange for an honest review.

The first thing that I would like to say is that this book was nothing like anything I've ever read before. I enjoyed how it was still classified as YA, but it did not follow the typical YA formula that you tend to see in a lot of YA books. The imagery regarding the aliens was extremely grotesque, and their purpose with the humans sent chills down my spine. In all honesty, I could barely tear myself away from this book for even a moment.

Not only was the pacing good, but the characters were very relatable. Within this book, you had a wide spectrum of characters, from the always-follows-the-rules type people to the rebellious ones. Also, the world that the author created was very well-thought-out to the point where it seemed real, and I especially enjoyed how within each of the individual safe zones, not including the aliens, they were set up sort of like a dystopian lifestyle (I am admittedly a sucker for anything dystopian).

Overall, I really enjoyed this book, and I would recommend it to anyone who is a fan of sci-fi and horror.
3,795 reviews106 followers
February 20, 2018
Entangled: digiTeen and NetGalley provided me with an electronic copy of The Lying Planet. I was under no obligation to review this book and my opinion is freely given.

Jay Lawton lives in Sanctuary, one of the safe zones created after fallout destroyed most of the livable areas on the planet. At the age of 18, teenagers are tested by a machine that gives them either career chances within their community or will banish them to the harsh conditions outside. Shortly before his testing, Jay finds out something about the adults in the colony that completely changes his perspective. In a fight for his future, will Jay and his friends have the life they thought possible?

The Lying Planet has a good twist that changes the course of the book, giving it a more science fiction feel. The book reads more like a B sci-fi film, with the cheesy aspects and action sequences that make movies of the genre fun. Although the plot was not all that intricate and the character development not too in-depth, I enjoyed reading The Lying Planet. Readers who like serious science fiction may not find the book to their liking, but those who like a lighter version may enjoy it.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 68 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.