Start by marking “The Eyes of the Dragon” as Want to Read:
The Eyes of the Dragon

The Eyes of the Dragon

3.93  ·  Rating details ·  100,721 ratings  ·  4,353 reviews
“Once, in a kingdom called Delain, there was a king with two sons….”

Thus begins one of the most unique tales that master storyteller Stephen King has ever written—a sprawling fantasy of dark magic and the struggle for absolute power that utterly transforms the destinies of two brothers born into royalty. Through this enthralling masterpiece of mythical adventure, intrigue,
Published December 19th 2017 by Scribner (first published February 2nd 1987)

·  100,721 ratings  ·  4,353 reviews

Start your review of The Eyes of the Dragon
Anne
4.5 stars!

Hands down, this is my FAVORITE Stephen King book.
I'm not saying this is his best piece of work, but (personal preferences 'n all) this is just what I happen to enjoy the most.
So.
Erica has a stellar review that explains why this book should be revered above all other King books. And also touches another review that is total crap, written by a man who can normally be counted on to give good book recommendations.
Even though he tends to ramble, and add musical lyrics to all his reviews.
A
James T
Oct 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
When the majority of individuals think about Stephen King's credentials; it is generally about his amazing work-rate at producing memorable and top quality horror stories. With that in mind; in addition to The Dark Tower saga, this novel is one of Mr. King's lesser known creations that is definitely more Tolkien than Tommyknockers.

It is an easy story to get into and I was intrigued from the first page. My grandfather gave me this book when I was a wide-eyed, eleven-year-old lover of Goosebumps
Charlotte May
Mar 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: epic-fantasy
"Of all the weapons ever used to commit regicide - the murder of a King - none has been as frequently used as poison. And no one has greater knowledge of poisons than a magician."

I thoroughly enjoyed losing myself in this fantasy. This was my first Stephen King novel, I don't really like horror so I wanted something different from him and I wasn't disappointed!

King Roland has been killed, presumed murder. His eldest son Peter is accused of the crime and sentenced to imprisonment in the needle
Delee
When I was a little girl my mother and father would tuck me in at night and read me a bedtime story. At Christmas and Easter- I would have the pleasure of listening to bedtime stories made-up by my father, just for me- Delee. The Adventures of the Pink Kitty...about a very special kitten making his way to a very special child.....and his adventures along the way trying to find a home with the perfect little girl. ME!!! It wasn't a logical story...it probably wasn't the best story out there- but ...more
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
It was pretty good. I enjoyed the little graphics.

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾
Merphy Napier
A an easy read with a really interesting narrative style. Unfortunately, the narrative style was really the only thing I liked about it.

The characters weren't much for me to latch on to and they didn't have much development. I was numbingly board throughout most of it, and if I have to read one more line about napkins, their history and storage, and WHY it makes sense they'll be used to form a rope.... I might die.

Apparently fan's reactions to this book is what inspired Misery. So I do feel bad
Lyn
Oct 22, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Napkins?

Napkins.

And more than enough (too much) nose picking and boogers.

Stephen “I dressed up like Jack Vance for Halloween” King made a noteworthy switch from straight up horror to a better than passable high fantasy in his 1987 novel The Eyes of the Dragon.

The King of American horror, though, is also a better than average writer and knows a thing or two about moving some copy and though this is a little out of character (like Henry Fonda in Once Upon a Time in the West) it is also entertainin
David - proud Gleeman in Branwen's adventuring party
"Book, you have the right to a speedy trial" review

THE DEFENSE
- He may have switched from horror to fantasy with this one, but Stephen King's trademark gripping prose is still in full force!
- A scene-stealing villain who creates chaos and is just so much fun to watch, Flagg would fit right in at Gotham City!
- Despite the fantasy setting, the emotions of the characters always feel real.
- King takes some narrative risks that really pay off. (The segments told through the POV of a dog a
Ɗẳɳ  2.☊
Jul 25, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fairy tale lovers
Recommended to Ɗẳɳ 2.☊ by: Delee
Shelves: fairy-tales
At its time of publication, way back in 1984, The Eyes of the Dragon was a bit of a departure from Stephen King’s typical horror fare. I wouldn’t say it was his first venture into the fantasy genre, per se, considering the iconic Gunslinger (the first of the Dark Tower books) was released a few years prior to this one, but I do believe it was his first attempt at a novel length fairy tale.

It makes perfect sense that King would dedicate this story to his daughter, considering the cutesy feel to i
Swaps55
Aug 03, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fantasy/Stephen King fans
i need to preface this by saying that this was the first stephen king book i ever read. he is my father's favorite author, and i grew up staring at the dozens of hardback books all in a row on the shelves of his office, all with king's name on them. i really wanted to read one, see what it was dad read, and the reason he handed me this one was the same reason king wrote it: so his kids could read something he had written. in other words, it's kid-friendly, and actually written as a children's bo ...more
Bradley
Mar 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I first read this about a year after it was published and hadn't thought too much about it since then, but for the young kid I was, it happened to be the first fantasy novel I ever read and the second novel... period.

It shaped my idea of what fantasy was, even if I've reformulated that about a million times since then, but let me be frank: I wasn't all that impressed. SF in all its shapes and forms caught my imagination more. In fact, it took something like a decade and a half before I went off
Shannon
I read this about ten years ago and just read the book again about two years ago. Well, I'm delighted to say that it still has all its magic.

As an aspiring writer, I was breaking down the story, trying to figure out what made it special. It's not so much the setting as there are many fairy tale legends which are similar to this one . .. nor is it the actual idea as many good princes have been unjustly imprisoned and then tried to redeem themselves later.

This tale's strength is in its narrative p
Choko
*** 3.40 ***

A buddy read with my fairy tales loving friends at BB&B!!!

I have never jumped on the Steven King fan band wagon, but it was never because of his writing. It usually relates to the thematics and my inability to cope with thrillers and imaginative mind, which brings all his monsters to life and I just can't deal...

However, this book is not his usual fair. It is a fairytale!!! And I am a humongous fan of anything resembling a classic fairytale or Fantasy... So, this is how several BB&B
Celeste
Apr 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Eyes of the Dragon is billed as both King’s only high fantasy and his only novel that could be classified as a children’s book. I wasn’t sure how successful he’d be with either of those things, but now I really wish he would write more of both. This book so radically exceeded my expectations that, even though I’ve come to passionately love King’s work, I couldn’t help but be surprised. I loved everything about this, and it’s the first King novel I’ve ever read that I could comfortably recomm ...more
Trish
Jan 14, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was told I might want to read this book to gain a slightly deeper insight into the Dark Tower series that I've started. Yes, it's entirely too easy to rope me into reading yet more books.

Make no mistake, technically this is not part of the DT series. Instead, it is an early standalone fantasy novel quite unlike other King books. In fact, it is a straight up fantasy, no twists and turns, everything pretty much on the nose and following the usual formula for such books.

We have a kingdom that isn
Stepheny

Two of my favorite people have vastly different opinions on this book. Delee gave this book 5 glowing stars while Jeff gave it two and used such eloquent and moving words to explain what exactly he disliked so much about it.

When Delee told me I had to read it I could not tell her no! Literally she has read every single book I have ever requested she read. Literally. She’s amazing. And I knew how much this book meant to her. And Jeff insisted I skip this book; that it just was not worth my tim
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
Jan 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: A person who wants to read Stephen King but doesn't want the shock value
To me it's pretty interesting that my favorite Stephen King book is not horror at all, but rather, fantasy. It makes sense, really. I don't enjoy reading about people being tormented and murdered. I like to read about people overcoming their fears and the villains they encounter in life. So it was nice to read a story by King in a setting I love, fairy tale land. This is a fairy tale, with all the usual trappings, and he does a great job with it.

I think this story really shows what a good write
Werner
Oct 19, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fantasy fans
Recommended to Werner by: One of my library co-workers
Shelves: fantasy
Although I read a good deal in the speculative genres in which King characteristically writes, he's never been a "go-to" author for me. (Originally, that was probably part of a broader pattern; I don't generally seek out the work of most other best-selling authors either, because I innately distrust the hype, and prefer to pick my own reading rather than letting other people in effect pick it for me.) But back in my days as a public librarian, I decided that since his work was so popular with th ...more
Johann (jobis89)
"I think that real friendship always makes us feel such sweet gratitude, because the world almost always seems like a very hard desert, and the flowers that grow there seem to grow there against such high odds."

A beautiful YA fantasy novel focusing on the tale of King Roland of Delain and his two sons, Peter and Thomas, with the story being told by an unknown narrator. King Roland is killed by an unusual poison, with his son Peter being accused of murder and imprisoned at the top of a high tower
Erin *Proud Book Hoarder*
3.5

“Once, in a kingdom called Delain, there was a King with two sons. Delain was a very old kingdom and it had had hundreds of Kings, perhaps even thousands; when time goes on long enough, not even historians can remember everything.”

King used a unique narrative style for this fairy tale, where he flexes his writing muscle and offers something much different than his usual fare. Fans of the Dark Tower series will see some name similarities and tributes here like King Roland (much different pers
Lisa Wolf
Jan 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobook, fantasy
The Eyes of the Dragon, as far as I can tell, is one of King's early departures from writing straight-up horror. It's not a horror story at all -- instead, it's fantasy set in a far-off kingdom, where an evil magician is determined to thrust the land into chaos and bloodshed in order to satisfy his own dark purposes.

King Roland the Good is an okay king, kind but not particularly effective, and perhaps a little too under the sway of his advisor, the magician Flagg. Roland has two sons -- his heir
Christy
Sep 26, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: King compltetionists, Older fairy tale lovers who want to feel young again
Well, that was different.

Well written of course. It wasn't bad at all....Just not what I was expecting (or really wanted--see King's reaction to that view below--if we all would have loved this one--we would have missed out "miserably"). Perhaps I would have rated it higher if I knew what was coming....or what age group this is really written for? Or if I was extremely ill in bed slurping down chicken soup and my mom came in to read it to me (and blush at the mention of the King's "iron") Hmmmm.
Evelyn (devours and digests words)
Once upon a time, in the kingdom of Delain far away....

Seriously, why didn't this book started that way? I can hear someone in the background barfing at the cheesiness of it but this chick right here lives for that kind of beginning in fairytales. ESPECIALLY in a Stephen King's book.

The Eyes of The Dragon is all things fantasy. Something I have never read from The King of Horror. It's always a big fun to read an author stepping out of his usual comfort zone. And King nailed it!

This book may
Edward Lorn
Dec 16, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: King completionists and gluttons for punishment
Recommended to Edward by: Mom
I understand that this was many readers' first King book. I understand that this book rests in the hearts of thousands. I understand this is meant to be a fairytale, and that I am not the target audience. I understand all that and I still choose to hate this book. How'd Bobby Brown put it... "It's my prerogative."

The Eyes of the Dragon was slightly more bearable this go around because Laddie from Perfect Strangers read it to me, and I highly suggest you take the same route when/if you decide to
Jeff
The single worst Stephen King novel I have ever read and this man has written his fair share of turds.
Paul Nelson
The Eyes of the Dragon is in my book a kid’s fantasy tale and one with a merrily joyous feel good factor, it was all just too nice and goodly good for me. If my only way of escape was to fashion a rope out of strands of napkin, worked on a toy and it was going to take over a year, then I'd have thrown myself out of the tower on day 3, fuck it as they say and goodbye happy ending.

Flagg is the man in black, the evil magician who's been around for ever, changing faces and involving himself in the
Phrynne
Nov 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of Stephen King's fantasy offerings and it is quite delightful. I do not always enjoy adult fairy stories, but this one catches you up into the action and there is nowhere to go except to read and enjoy the whole book. The way the story is told is quite original. The chapters are all different lengths, sometimes just one paragraph, sometimes a normal length. Quite often the author lets the reader know what is going to happen and then goes back to fill in on how it came about that way ...more
Mike (the Paladin)
Jan 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-fantasy, fantasy
Interesting and slightly odd mixture of Stephen Kings story telling and a slightly more classic/mythological tale than we're used to from the modern prince of horror.

This is described by some as Stephen King doing children's literature". Well, I wouldn't really call it that. I'm aware that Mr. King dedicated this to his daughter...but I would suggest that you read it yourself first before giving it to a child, at least a child younger than say, 12. Just my opinion. It's how I'd handle it.

The sto
Ashley Daviau
Jun 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm feeling a little let down by this story if I'm being totally honest. While I did enjoy it for the most part, I feel like it could have been SO much more! I was expecting an epic fantasy and while it was definitely fantasy, I don't think I'd call it epic.

I've grown used to a certain calibre of writing from King and while I did catch glimpses of it, I mostly felt like he was dumbing himself down so the reader could understand him. I know it is technically a YA fantasy and so naturally it can'
Erica
Oct 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Please note: The rating above is a spite rating, though, in all honesty, I'd have given this all the stars in 1987, too. However, I am spiting Jeff whose opinion is horrible and should be rectified with electro-shock therapy, or something.

Interestingly, I'm stealing my review from a comment I made in another of his S. King threads. This is all getting very meta.

Comment/Review:
Aww, man!
I loved The Eyes of the Dragon!
It pissed my mom right off, though. She got it when it came out and was expecting
Stephen King 2020...: April showers brings us to....another book! 13 17 May 15, 2020 05:41PM
Stephen King Fans: Eyes of the Dragon book 20 38 113 Nov 10, 2019 03:48AM
#RetoTorreOscura: Los Ojos del Dragón 14 42 Nov 02, 2019 09:23AM
Play Book Tag: The Eyes of the Dragon by Stephen King 3.5 stars 1 10 Apr 02, 2019 07:28AM
Not your typical Stephen King story 4 17 Jan 27, 2019 03:21AM
You'll love this ...: The Eyes of the Dragon 56 54 Apr 02, 2018 09:48AM
The Losers' Club:...: King's Dominion - "Eyes of the Dragon" 11 48 Mar 18, 2018 05:08PM

• Roadwork
  • Blaze
  • La Torre Oscura. El largo camino a casa, Volume 1
  • The Body
  • The Bachman Books
  • Gwendy's Magic Feather (The Button Box, #2)
  • Full Throttle