Start by marking “We Are Okay” as Want to Read:
We Are Okay

We Are Okay

3.98  ·  Rating details ·  19,961 Ratings  ·  3,949 Reviews
You go through life thinking there’s so much you need…

Until you leave with only your phone, your wallet, and a picture of your mother.

Published February 14th 2017 by Dutton Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about We Are Okay, please sign up.
Nicole No. It's a full novel. But I can see why you ask this question, with the cover looking much like a graphic novel would.

Ariel
Feb 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is the kind of book I want to write. Which is a pretty big thing to say, I suppose.

What I really appreciated was that Nina LaCour abandoned the idea that a novel has to be entirely plot driven. This is a book about relationships and emotions and I liked being caught up in Marin's brain. I loved that it took place in winter, on an abandoned university campus, where everything amplified Marin's feelings of emptiness and isolation. I like that things like being coloured or queer were present b
Kat O'Keeffe
Mar 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
WOW. this was definitely a slower paced book, but SO beautifully written and very powerful in a quiet kind of way. an emotional and complex exploration of grief and loneliness and healing and disillusionment. i am very much looking forward to reading more by nina lacour, because while i did really like this book, i personally tend to enjoy stories that are more light-hearted, so some of her other books sound a little more my style (like "everything leads to you" which i already own so i'm bumpin ...more
Lola
Mar 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is possibly the prettiest book I’ve held in my hands. As pretty as the picture looks, the hardcover is twice as lovely.

So I’m definitely glad I enjoyed the story, because otherwise I would have felt morally obliged to donate the book.

Nina LaCour doesn’t write; she paints. Delicately and purposefully. Her words are colors that blend into one another to create a magnificent landscape.

This is a book about family, first love, grief and solitude. Before she began college, Marin lived with her
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
This book was everything to me.

"'Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can."'

••••••••••

You go through life thinking there's so much you need. Your favorite jeans and sweater. The jacket with the faux-fur lining to keep you warm. Your phone and your music and your favorite books. Mascara. Irish Breakfast tea and cappuccinos from Trouble Coffee. You need your yearbooks, every stiffly posed
Nat
Feb 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
“The trouble with denial is that when the truth comes, you aren’t ready.”

Marin hasn’t spoken to anyone from her old life since the day she left everything behind. No one knows the truth about those final weeks. Not even her best friend, Mabel. But even thousands of miles away from the California coast, at college in New York, Marin still feels the pull of the life and tragedy she’s tried to outrun. Now, months later, alone in an emptied dorm for winter break, Marin waits. Mabel is coming to visi
Em
May 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing

Do you ever think about a book and then wonder what the last person who also read it and related to it was doing or if they’re okay?

Because right now I want to write something but I honestly don't know what to say. My thoughts are lying face down on the floor with passion and I just wish someone could put a blanket over them and tell them they're fine. And I swear it's like every book makes me sad in a different way but really...it’s all the same. So yeah. I guess I'm just going to keep arrangi
emma
The person who will like this book is a very particular one.

If you don’t like character-driven stuff, STAY FAR AWAY FROM THIS BOOK. No, seriously. Leave this review right now, even. There is not even a question of you possibly liking this book. SO GET OUT OF HERE, OKAY?

Just kidding. You can stay if you want. But only if it’s for my charming personality and not for a potential recommendation.

Okay. Now I am going to try to make A Point that is perched on a very thin line. And I will almost certain
Warda
Apr 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
[4.5 stars] I'm crying buckets. I haven't cried this much over a book since I finished reading A Court of Wings and Ruin. This book was stunning. Absolutely stunning. I felt every single word. Some of them were just outright painful, but I was connected, grieving alongside Marin.

It is an incredible story about a girl who's coming to terms with the death of her grandfather and her losses in life, which she's experienced so much of so young. Such a short book, but so beautifully impactful.
Elise (TheBookishActress)
“If only I had something to take the edge off the loneliness. If only lonely were a more accurate word. It should sound much less pretty.”

This book is a quiet heartbreak. It is not an action-packed story, it’s crafted with immense subtlety, it’s not going to make you scream at One Specific Significant line. It is a book to feel, a book to hurt, and a book to heal.

The thing I keep coming back to about this book is the character development. This is a book specifically about the regret of M
Christian
Expectation: A new favorite.
Reality: A new favorite.

*throws five stars at the book from the floor, where he is a sobbing mess*
Elyse
Jun 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was drawn to this book from the first time I saw it. Soon after, I saw several 'low' . I was still curious.

I knew parts of this book took place in the SF Bay Area... parts in New York....plus I had read that the author, Nina LaCour, lives in Oakland, Ca. I was 'jazzed'. How bad could this book be? NOT BAD AT ALL FOR ME!!!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS BOOK!!!!

I read this book slow over 3 days. ----The story takes place over 3 days too!

It's a tiny book. It could be read in one or two hours, but that
Clau R.
Jun 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018, cover-love
3,5 stars
Lily ☁️ {semi hiatus}
Jun 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommended to Lily ☁️ by: Leona Carstairs
My full review is now up on my blog!

3 1/2 starsI am not okay.

This book’s title sounds like something I tell people when in reality it’s the exact opposite of what I am.
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Oct 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
Whyyyyyyy did I put off reading this for so long? I adored it.
Raeleen Lemay
Feb 10, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: lgbtqia, 2017, young-adult
I'll start out by saying that I never originally intended to read this book, but I received a copy in the mail a few days ago from Penguin and it's super short, so I decided to give it a go.

(I sort of wish I hadn't)

This book was way too over the top on the melodrama for me... It was a very forgettable read, and it's just not the type of book I enjoy to read anymore. If you want to read a great Nina LaCour book, I highly HIGHLY recommend Everything Leads to You because it has a strong plot and gr
Cait • A Page with a View
3.5 stars. This is a really fast read and focuses on forgiveness, hope, and coming to terms with the past. Marin is alone in her NYC dorm over the winter because she has nowhere else to go... and then Mabel comes to visit her. It's clear that they used to be more than friends but something happened to drive a wedge between Marin and her past. The reader slowly finds out everything as the story goes (it's split between Marin's current life and her past in California).

The isolated setting of the d
- ̗̀ cinnamon apple ̖́-
May 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who has ever felt loneliness
“I was okay just a moment ago. I will learn how to be okay again.”

this book feels like a journal to me. i felt like Nina LaCour just ransacked my bedroom and found my nonexistent journal and was like "hmm well she's sad and gay so let's make a book about that" and the rest is history.

i feel like 2018 is the year i finally read books by the authors i've been wanting to read for years. Maggie, Adam, Schwab, Becky, et cetera. and now, it's nina!! i've been interested in her books ever since Everyth

destiny ☠ howling libraries
“The trouble with denial is that when the truth comes, you aren't ready.”

Winter break has come, and while everyone else has gone home to see families and significant others for a few weeks, Marin would be perfectly content to stay in her dorm room, alone with her grief, pretending that her life from before doesn't exist anymore. Life is never quite that simple, though, and Mabel is coming to visit, shoving her way into Marin's after. Marin has a lot of skeletons in her closet that need to be fac
Kayla Dawn
Jul 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: in-besitz
This was good! I liked the characters and their relationships a lot. The writing style was very nice as well.

*very minor spoiler ahead I guess??*

The ending was a little too good to be true in my opinion but other than that I really enjoyed it.

(Well, I don't know what else to say. I'm much better at writing reviews about books I didn't like lol)
Saania Zee Jamal ϟ
If I were to ever marry a book cover, it would be this one.
(Bern) Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas
"Life is paper thin and fragile. Any sudden change could rip it wide-open."

A short, easy read (I read it in a few hours in 1 sitting) about loneliness, heartbreak & eventual healing. It's slow paced - there isn't any real action in the plot. It's really centered around emotion - Marin's feelings which become clearer to us as we read, allowing us to learn her truths.

I enjoyed the story for what it was but I honestly wasn't blown away by it. There were parts that dragged a bit for me and
Caroline
Jun 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lgbtqia
16/11/17- Revising my rating to 5 stars instead of 4 because the more I think about this book the more I realise it's one of my favourites of the year (and also I can't stop thinking about it).

“I was okay just a moment ago. I will learn how to be okay again.”

I'D seen a few reviews of this book which called it 'boring' and I almost let them deter me from reading this. I'm so glad I didn't because honestly this book was lovely and melancholic and strangely beautiful and I genuinely enjoyed readin
This is a book about sadness.

I wonder if we will become okay again. I hope for it.

This is a book about sadness. It's a book about pain and loss and love and death. It's about the death of a grandfather. It's about the death of a spirit. It's a book about family - and about Marin's dead mother. It's about Jones and Birdie and Ben and Laney and Hannah and Mabel.

I wonder if there’s a secret current that connects people who have lost something. Not in the way that everyone loses something, but in
Carlos.
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
Me cuesta la vida darle cinco estrellas a un libro, pero es que este se las merece. Es increíble que un libro te haga sentir tantas cosas en apenas 250 páginas. Y no sé, me ha encantado.

Esta es una de las historias más especiales y duras que he leído en mi vida. A pesar de ser tan corto es un libro lento, de los que te van descubriendo cosas poco a poco. De los que te dejan con las ganas, y no descubren toda la verdad hasta el final. O sea, my kind of shit.

Me he enamorado de la prota y de su fo
Cece (ProblemsOfaBookNerd)
*3.5 stars

This is such a hard rating, because the last quarter was incredible, but the middle was definitely a solid 3. I loved the exploration of grief itself. It was done beautifully and I cried multiple times throughout reading this. Nina LaCour has such beautiful writing, I just get frustrated sometimes by her more... tropey moments? She has these plot elements that happen that are so unrealistic and I find myself get frustrated because her writing is incredible and I want the plot to live u
Puck
Jun 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who are dealing with the death of a loved one
An intimate and honest book about grief, We Are Okay tells us about Marin who suffers from the loss of her grandfather four months ago. In silence and in loneliness she keeps the tragedy to herself, but now her childhood friend Mabel comes to visit, Marin finally has to face her past and her emotions.

“The trouble with denial is that when the truth comes, you aren't ready.”

This is a book about grief, loss, and solitude, but if I had to describe this story in one word, I would say “quiet”. “Mela
Stacee
Sep 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I'm a huge fan of Nina LaCour's words, so as soon as I saw We Are Okay, I downloaded it. I had absolutely no idea what it was about.

Marin is a wonderful character. She's spliced into these two versions of herself and I loved getting to know the summer and the winter Marin. The setting of the dorm and the time changing chapters were a perfect way to show how isolated and changed she's become.

There are some heartbreaking reveals and yet the ending is so so so hopeful. The prose is gorgeous {but of
Whitney Atkinson
3.75 Stars

This is a very subtle book. It's about grief, regrowing, uncovering truth within your family, and recovery. It was beautiful. The writing was awesome and impactful, the tone of the story was completely dreamlike, and I enjoyed the subject matter.

However, it employs a type of storytelling that isn't my favorite--a back and forth jump between "then" and "now"-- and also, since this book deals a lot with memory and inner monologue rather than action, its pace felt a bit sluggish. I was ne
Nina
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was perfect! It made me laugh. It made me cry. And I'm so glad I finally decided to read it.

What I loved the most about 'We Are Okay' was how there were no huge plot twists or other crazy things that were supposed to make this book more "interesting". It was just a book about life and it was heartbreaking and beautiful at the same time. I loved the main characters and I loved Nina LaCour's writing style. Long story short, I pretty much loved everything about this book!

It's been almost
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

Over the past week I’ve been bombarded by Goodreaders who are angry I don’t drink the NA Kool-Aid which will force me to 5-Star books that don’t even have a release date yet as well as young humans who can’t understand why a person would ever 1-Star something by their favorite YouTuber. In an attempt to prevent further butthurt (since it appears I kinda sorta read this one wrong as well), allow me to post the following disclaimer:

Firs
Nina LaCour grew up in the San Francisco Bay Area. Her first job was at fourteen in an independent bookstore, and she has since worked in two others. She has tutored and taught in various places, from a juvenile hall to a private college. She now teaches English at an independent high school.

Of Hold Still, Nina says:

“This book is about loss, and it’s also about art. The loss part comes from a clas
More about Nina LaCour

Young Adult Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
  • The Lost Girls of Camp Forevermore
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Scat
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Chomp
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
  • I See London, I See France
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Starfish
  • Olive's Ocean
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
  • Little Monsters
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Train I Ride
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
  • Greyhound
  • Annie on My Mind
    $9.99 $1.20
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
  • Julie of the Wolves
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
  • Emergency Contact
    $10.99 $3.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Ticker
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
“I was okay just a moment ago. I will learn how to be okay again.” 143 likes
“I thought that it was more likely the opposite. I must have shut grief out. Found it in books. Cried over fiction instead of the truth. The truth was unconfined, unadorned. There was no poetic language to it, no yellow butterflies, no epic floods. There wasn't a town trapped underwater or generations of men with the same name destined to make the same mistakes. The truth was vast enough to drown in.” 86 likes