Start by marking “Dark Resurrection (The Colony, #2)” as Want to Read:
Dark Resurrection (The Colony, #2)

Dark Resurrection

(The Colony #2)

Five years after a tragic expedition put New Hope Island back in the headlines, past-his-prime crime author Dennis Thorpe leads a writers retreat to that secluded corner of the Hebrides... The group is never seen again.

Ruthie Gillespie, the beautiful, heavily-tattooed, hard-drinking author of dark tales for children, was supposed to be among their number but something st
Published December 17th 2015 by Ipso Books

To ask other readers questions about Dark Resurrection, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dark Resurrection

Start your review of Dark Resurrection (The Colony, #2)
Blair
Last year, I wrote a brief review of Kate Morton's The Lake House in which I said that two things are inevitable when authors recycle the same formula: a) you'll compare every detail of each new book to its predecessors, and b) there will come a point when said formula starts to feel tired and past its best.

I was thinking about this while reading F.G. Cottam's latest, The Colony: Dark Resurrection. I've now read 12 of Cottam's horror novels (compared with five by Morton - books that is, not
Josephine (Jo)
Oct 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I read The Colony and was so thrilled to get my hands on this second book in the series! Although it is the second in a series it is a great stand alone read. You will however want to read the first one once you get hooked!
In this story we return to the bleak haunted New Hope Island in the company of Dennis Thorpe. He is leading a group of people on a writers retreat. They have no idea what they are about to face on the bleak and terrifying island. One of the writers who intended going with the
Bill Kupersmith
Dec 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-stars-in-2016
We can divide scary supernatural stories into two broad categories, Classical & Romantic. The former take place in colleges & cathedrals, usually involving amateurs such as dons or clergymen, or perhaps simply a solicitor’s clerk who needs to get a document signed. The later are set in ruined castles in the Carpathians or the Pyrenees, often involving specialists such as exorcists despatched from the Vantican or professional vampire exterminators like Dr. van Helsing. Of contemporary ghost story ...more
Nadine Julie
Dec 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Dark Resurrection is the welcome second instalment in The Colony trilogy.

It's been five years since the events of The Colony. Cottam has had a fairly long time to think about this one and it shows. In his stable of protagonists, Ruthie Gillespie makes for a breath of fresh air. Yes, okay, she's a children's author who's tattooed and hard-drinking and this is, in a way, a sort of postmodern Mary Sue, but she's also smart, forthright and straight-talking, and she happens to be the catalyst for the
John Wiltshire
Oct 09, 2017 rated it it was ok
F. G. Cottam is rapidly turning into one of my favourite authors. This is the follow-up to The Colony and within two paragraphs I was, once again, hooked. It's a really good writer who can do that. Again, Cottam writes likeable characters and he has the knack of letting us get to know them quickly, so we root for them, want them to succeed. Also, and this is huge, Cottam can write horror really well. Coincidently, I'm listening to Stephen King's IT on audio at the same time as reading this (well ...more
Venda
Mar 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016, kindle, horror
I received a kindle copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

F.G. Cottam is hands-down my favorite horror author. He's very good at writing what I would describe as malevolent ghosts and hauntings. Dark Resurrection is a sequel to his novel The Colony, and brings back familiar characters from that book. Some new characters are also introduced.

Dark Resurrection involves a group of writers who have gone to New Hope Island for a retreat. They go missing, and this comes to the attention
Mike
Jan 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Mr Cottam is responsible for some of the best supernatural horror being written today. His Jericho Society is one of the best horror devices in years. This story is compelling. But...

This isn't his best. Too many superfluous characters, too many to keep track of and too many to develop an affection for. It detracts from the impact of the book.

Which is a pity, because the story deserves better.

The wild Hebridean islands are well-evoked, in atmosphere and unpredictable weather. Ruthie is one of th
Shree
Jan 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Wow, how I loved going back to New Hope island! I LOVED Colony#1 and was left wondering about the evil on the island and Rachel Ballantyne when the novel ended. I was glad Cottam continued it into another instalment. In this novel, our favourite characters from the previous novel are forced to revisit New Hope island when an entire group of writers' vanish mysteriously on the cursed island. What ensues is an horrific adventure in which we go deeper into the tragic and sinister past of the island ...more
Laura Furuta
Nov 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Dark Resurrection: A Colony Novel (The Colony Book 2)
By: F.G. Cottam
5 out of 5 stars

The story Dark Resurrection: A Colony Novel (The Colony Book 2) by F.G. Cottam is a horror/ghost book. It has been 5 years since the tragic expedition to find out the truth of what happened to a colony of 150 people who vanished. Author Dennis Thorpe is leading a writer’s retreat on the island of Hebrides. The group is never seen again. One author, Ruthie Gillespie, who was invited decided at the last minute not
Martin Belcher
Dec 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2016
A wonderfully wicked spine tingling and suitably shocking sequel to The Colony although it's not necessary to have read the first book as Dark Resurrection can be read as a 'standalone'.
Set five years after the events on the ghostly bad luck island of New Hope, a new set of people visit the island, budding authors unknowingly pre-selected for a writers vacation, very soon they mysteriously disappear continuing the bad luck that seems to fall upon all who visit New Hope.
Ruthie a children's books
Amanda
Dec 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was fortunate to receive this book in advance in exchange for an honest review.

After the events of The Colony, time has moved on for the heroes. Happiness, estrangement and death have visited them, until they are drawn back to New Hope Island because of a missing writing group. Some of this group travelled to the island in search of inspiration, some with far more sinister motives...

Having loved The Colony, I was desperate to find out more about what would happen to characters I'd become extr
Lesley Henry
Aug 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
If you thought the situation at New Hope had been resolved at the end of The Colony and that everyone lived happily ever after, you were grievously mistaken. While one demon was successfully put to rest, New Hope still harbors other evils that are just as evil as well as dangerous that have yet to be dealt with. Our brave team once more is sent to face the evils that resides upon the island after the evil lurking there has lashed out yet again to take more lives.
Once again Cottam delivers a ver
Helen Carolan
Dec 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I got sent this from Mr Cottam for an honest review. Iread the colony a few years ago and am always worried when an author writes a sequel some years later. Need not have worried here. New hope island is still chilling 5 years from the previous book's ending. some from the first book return. Agreat scary read. looking forward to the next book which will complete the trilogy.
Christina
Feb 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016, horror
Cottam has a talent for creating characters who can identify with and to whom you can become attached. Any author who can make you cry out loud "you bastard!" at the death of a character is to be treasured. I look forward to my next ghostly adventure I Mr. Cottam's world.
Jan
Dec 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book! Beautifully written! Scary, great story: Cottam at his very best! A must-read!
Kay
Jan 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Listened to the audiobook: This is an excellent sequel. Highly recommended.
Jodie
Oct 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
An interesting follow on from the initial book. I like the characters, and for me the "oh no" moments were good enough to keep me turning that page!!!
Bruce Cross
Sep 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Excellant followup. Now waiting on 3rd entree.
Vick
Oct 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
It was pretty good. It kept me interested to find out what happens next, but I didn't like the transitions (i.e., was it happening or was it planning moves)
Beverly J
Apr 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
You would think it was a re-write of the first book, BUT... Hang in there, keep reading... This is it's own book. You will love the twists and turns and be very gratified at the end. Enjoy;-)
Mark
Sep 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 Stars! Another great read from Cottam. He's created a fantastic character in Ruthie Gillespie and I'm glad she'll be back in future books.
Peter Bradley
Apr 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
Please give my Amazon review a helpful vote - https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-re...

Dark Resurrection by F.G. Cottam

This is a sequel to F.G. Cottam's prior horror novel "The Colony." In that book, we followed an expedition to New Hope Island. The expedition sought to unravel the mystery of why a settlement had disappeared on the island two hundred years before. Instead of answers, the expedition found ghosts and a supernatural curse. The Colony was a fast-paced story with characters that caugh
Count of the   Saxon Shore
Feb 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
An improvement over Colony #1 (and that was good!) Better pacing and all round tighter composition, marred slightly by a lazy ending that lost it the final star
Miramira Endevall
Dec 28, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: own-e-book
Stopped reading about 50% through because I got bored. Once the mystery of David Sparks was explained, the plot stopped being interesting to me.
Carol Griffin

• Where the Dead Walk
  • Salvage
  • The Lost Ones
  • I'll Tell You in Person
  • Changeling (Six Stories, #3)
  • Beast (Six Stories, #4)
  • Devil's Island
  • Below
  • The Venetian (This Haunted World, #1)
  • Afraid of the Light
  • Bone China
  • The Quite Nice and Fairly Accurate Good Omens Script Book
  • The Poison Garden
  • Hydra (Six Stories, #2)
  • The Seventh Victim
  • The Flower Show Murder (Monica Noble, #2)
  • Six Stories (Six Stories, #1)
  • The Sleeper Lies
Reading is a cheap and totally effective way of being transported to another world. The same is true of writing. Mundane concerns only afflict your characters if you decide you want them to.
University was where I first thought seriously about fiction; hearing about Hemingway's iceberg theory and Eliot's objective correlative and having the luxury of time to ponder on the mechanics of the novel.
My

The Colony (3 books)
  • The Colony (The Colony, #1)
  • Harvest of Scorn (The Colony #3)

News & Interviews

Summer reading season is in full swing, which means many of the year's biggest and best releases are coming out of the gates. And although your Ju...