Start by marking “Invisible Women: Powerful and Disturbing Stories of Murdered Sex Workers” as Want to Read:
Invisible Women: Powerful and Disturbing Stories of Murdered Sex Workers

Invisible Women: Powerful and Disturbing Stories of Murdered Sex Workers

When news of a murdered woman hits the headlines in Australia, people sit up and take notice. Unless that woman happens to be a sex worker.

Invisible Women tells the stories of several murdered sex workers – all of whom are somebody’s mother, daughter, wife or sister – whose identities have been erased. Why do we see some lives as less valuable than others, and what price d
Kindle Edition

To ask other readers questions about Invisible Women, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Invisible Women

Deb Bodinnar
Jan 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very informative and powerful book written by two wonderful female authors (must reveal that I do count them as my friends!). This subject is very topical at this time, where violence against women seems to be out of control and the media appears to be very particular about which cases hit the headlines. Violence against any woman, no matter her age, race or occupation is NOT acceptable. No woman asks to be raped, bashed or murdered. Some of the cases in Invisible Women we have heard about, bu ...more
Karen
Jan 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stacked up in every corner of this house are piles of books that I should have read by now, with INVISIBLE WOMEN being one of them. As the sub-heading puts it: "Powerful and Disturbing Stories of Murdered Sex Workers". The tardiness was regretted even more once I finished the book.

A lot of the power behind these stories is down to the sheer numbers. The index lists 65 women's names - murdered or gone missing since 1970 (the book was published in 2016). To put that into perspective, 46 years, 65
Jackie Mcmillan
Feb 17, 2016 rated it it was ok
I saw this in the airport's best seller list and felt a bit ill. What is it about the murder of sex workers that fascinates readers so?

When it later landed on my desk, I felt compelled to read it. I feel like the authors had a good intention, and tried to present a solid case for sex workers to be valued as equal to other human beings. However as I moved through the book I found the multiple writers annoying and very disjointed. I particularly hated the sections that ventured into stereotypical
Helen McKenna
Apr 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: aww-2016
When news of a murder hits the headlines, the public sit up and take notice. Or so you would assume. Apparently this is not the case for murdered sex workers, however. Invisible Women tells the stories of these women. While their occupation may be seen as unsavoury by society in general, this should not mean that we are any less horrified by their violent deaths - yet it seems that we are.

Society generally perceives sex workers as nameless and faceless. We do not consider that these women are so
Serena Armstrong
Feb 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
In a way, this book frustrated me because there were few conclusions and in most cases hardly any information on the crimes at all. And yet, that may be what served to make it such a humbling and thought-provoking read. Why wasn't there more information about these murders? Why did it matter what the victims occupation was? And why did that effect the outcome?

I must admit that I was guilty of jumping to conclusions as well - if a prostitute was the victim of a crime, I would think 'well, they kn
Suzie Flohr
Sep 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Outstanding . I loved the way you were short and straight to the point on each case. Well written.
Sara
Feb 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was amazing, although very upsetting to read about their deaths, may all the victims rest in peace.
A.B. Patterson
Jul 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I don't read a great deal of true crime - I guess having investigated it for a hefty chunk of my career, reading it doesn't attract me as much as it does many people.
I got on to this title from chatting with one of the authors, Ruth Wykes, for one of her current book projects. Combined with my last year and a half as a detective being in the Vice Squad, the subject of murdered sex workers was immediately of interest to me.
This book is simply excellent. It is horrendous to read of one murder afte
Nicki
Aug 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Some of the chapters are too brief to have much substance, but the longer real life stories are sobering and a good reminder that these "prostitutes" and "drug addicts" were women with lives and families and friends too. Not that you should really need a book to tell you that, but the authors make a good point that their deaths often they get brushed off in the media as most can't relate to them or feel safe they could never put themselves at risk like these women do.
Not exactly enjoyable readi
Annie Booker
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Heartbreaking.
Dianne Hamilton
Jan 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a very important book. I applaud the authors for taking on this mammoth task and I commend them for doing something that, to the best of my knowledge, has not been done before - at least not in Australia.
All too often when the murder of a sex worker is reported in the popular media, she will be referred to as a hooker, whore, street worker, druggie or worse. And look out if she is transgender! In fact, the murder of a former prostitute (who happened to be transgender) by her chef boyfri
Jaimee P.
Jul 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Fantastic, one of my favourite books for its simplicity and the message it delivers, each chapter recalls the disappearance, or the murder of Australian sex workers. Giving these women a voice, some chapters range from a couple of pages long to just a few sentences, so you can read it at your own pace. This book would also be very helpful from a researchers point of view as it is very informative of the lives of these women and the attitudes of the Australian Police towards solving these cases.
Alishia
Feb 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Could not put down! Such a well thought out , well researched insight into an often overlooked demographic. The albeit 'underbelly' of a female society and the predators who thrive on their helplessness.
Fantastic collaboration by these two Kylie and Ruth giving voice to those who may otherwise have none.
Eye opening, confronting and humbling. A must read.
Sarah Maunder
Sep 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
I usually struggle to read non-fiction, but I couldn't stop reading this book. This story is a must-read for everyone. It forces us to turn inward and ask: why do we care about the deaths of some women but not others? Confronting, terrifying and educational.
Nene Davies
Apr 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Powerful, sad and thought-provoking.
Julie Pearson
Feb 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Confronting, inspiring and fascinating! Thanks for being these ladies back to life albeit it briefly... Amazing that so many are unsolved and written off. Well done ladies
Blair
Jun 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book does a wonderful service to a large number of forgotten women, murdered in the course of their work in the sex industry.
Lauren S
Feb 07, 2016
Moraig
Jan 23, 2016
Melanie
rated it did not like it
Mar 15, 2016
Aspin Campbell
Sep 13, 2017
Amanda
Apr 22, 2016
Kylie Fox is a writer, editor, transcriptionist and mother-of-five. Her short crime fiction stories have won awards, including the Dorothy Porter Award, part of Sisters in Crime’s annual Scarlett Stiletto Awards, and are published in anthologies. Kylie is currently undertaking a degree in criminal justice and looks forward to studying further in the field of criminal psychology. Invisible Women is ...more