Start by marking “Mrs Hudson and the Lazarus Testament (A Sherlock Holmes & Mrs Hudson Mystery #3)” as Want to Read:

Mrs Hudson and the Lazarus Testament

(Mrs. Hudson #3)

A dark mystery for Sherlock Holmes and of course Mrs Hudson!

A man is accidentally knocked down outside 221B Baker Street by a carriage. His dying words are clear: he has seen a man rise from the grave.

At the same time a visitor arrives with a mystery of unparalleled international importance. The Viscount Wrexham is missing, presumed dead, in strange circumstances.

In

Published December 18th 2015 by Canelo

Start your review of Mrs Hudson and the Lazarus Testament (A Sherlock Holmes & Mrs Hudson Mystery #3)
Lynn Horton
Mar 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
(3.5 rounded up to 4)

I seem to be on a Holmes streak these days, probably because I'm waiting for spring to appear on this mountaintop. I have a couple of months until my landscape turns from white, to green and brown, so I'm reaching for the familiar.

Davies' Mrs. Hudson is a bit of an enigma, although one that perfectly suits the household of Holmes and Watson. Flotsam, her assistant both in housework and in detecting, is a jewel of a character. Holmes and Watson appear often enough to bind
Lyn
Mar 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
WELL WRITTEN and with the authentic voice of a Sherlock Holmes mystery. (Not the original which I have read but with the flavor of all the PBS TV movie versions). The idea of Mrs. Hudson being as clever as Holmes but with a different milieu of contacts is clever. And very believable. She's a great housekeeper and astute observer. The story of the existence of a testament written by Lazarus whom Jesus raised from the dead is intriguing in itself. Most of us are curious about the next life which ...more
Thebooktrail
description

Visit Mrs Hudson's London..Cumbria and even Syria

Gutted this seems to be the last in the series.But what a great third book in the series!

A man is knocked down by a hansom cab but his last words are about a dead he's just seen.....A Viscount has gone missing...up the river Thames there is a gruesome discovery and that's not all...throughout the novel, there is a search on for a very important religious document. And people will kill to get their hands on it...

From London to Cumbria and even a
Brenda Mengeling
May 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
One of the things I really liked about this series is that author Martin Davies made both Sherlock Holmes and Mrs. Hudson brilliant thinkers, and they both appreciate that in the other. There wasn't a need to make Mrs. Hudson the "real" genius and Holmes her puppet. This was another Holmesian-themed story, where reality is left a bit behind. The mystery isn't hard to parse, but it is great good fun, and I am a bit dismayed that Davies didn't write anymore entries to this series.
Dhawal Dhingra
Feb 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Overall a nice read though at times it felt that the story was being over stretched.
The main character- Mrs Hudson seems to be an omnipotent person, always acting calm in tricky situations because she's always all knowing.
Dr Watson on the other hand is shown as wanting to be a hero but acts impulsively and has no brains.
Cliff
Jul 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
The reinvention of Sherlock Holmes never seems to decrease. There's a series where he's retired to take up bee keeping and TV has got into the act with the British series Sherlock and the American Elementary. All indications of the continuing fascination with the characters. This book is one of a series I haven't come across before and is based on the premise the Mrs Hudson is not just a housekeeper, but as acute in her perceptions as her employer. There is a non canonical character the maid ...more
GBL
Jan 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Belle
Nov 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed the third instalment of the Hudson & Homes series. Took my time reading it because I don't know when the 4th book will come out.

One of the things I like most about the series is that by half way you have 75% of the mystery figured out, but it takes the rest of the book for things to wrap up and fall into place.

It was nice to be away from Baker Street and see the characters in a different environment.
Susan
Mar 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: holmes
The accidentally death of a man outside Baker Street with his last words heard by Flotsam. The diasppearence of Viscount Wrexham and the discovery of his body. Rumours of haunting in and around Broomheath Hallin the north. And the rumours of the discovery of the last testament by Lazarus. Mrs Hudson and Flotsam with the aid of Holmes and Watson investigates.
Thoroughly enjoyable well-written mystery. Hoping for a Book Four.
Beverley Charles
Jun 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great Book

I love these books. I have read the three of them, they are well worth the 5 stars I have given. Like other readers on here I am wondering why there are no more books in the series.
Feb 09, 2020 added it
Shelves: take-a-chance
Enjoyed it but I think it is a bit constrained by being set in the late nineteenth century. I enjoyed Mrs Hudson in the third person but the first person voice didn't ring true for me at all. That was where Laurie King's Mary Russell benefited by being set several decades later.
Emily Best
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
wow. definitely the best book by far.

this book was fast moving, didnt focus too much on holmes and watson which is why i think i enjoyed it so much - as it was literally a mrs hudson mystery, would definitely recommend reading this one!
Zoë
Mar 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I like how the writer makes you think in the books
Ann Hein
Feb 18, 2020 rated it it was ok
A Sherlock Holmes series with his cook part of the team that solves a mystery. It's told from the viewpoint of the scullery maid who is also part of the team.
Stephen Carr
Mar 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Good read

This book is a very good read. It takes you back to the time of Holmes and Watson. Mrs Hudson and Flottie are a great pair of characters.
Ann
Feb 18, 2020 rated it liked it
Very credible. I look forward to reading another Mrs. Hudson book.
Hannah Shattock
May 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book every bit as much as the last and felt that I got to learn more about the characters and now have a deeper understanding of them. I actually thought this was book 2, so have read the series out of order but I don't think it particularly matters. I still understood what was happening without getting confused about missed messages. I am happy to read book 2 of the series.

Mrs Hudson shows more of her intellect and brain capacity in this book and it seems that Holmes is more
Francis  Bacon
Mar 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A gripping page turner

As an avid Sherlock Holmes fan, this is the first time I have tried any of the 'alternative' stories because I'd hate to have Conan Doyle's work ruined. I've been immensely impressed with the set of 3 stories in this series.
Written from the point of view of Mrs Hudson who is every bit as clever as Holmes, the stories take on a fascinating twist while retaining the language and feel of the original works.
Julia
Jan 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great addition

Finally another addition to the Mrs Hudson series! Mrs. Hudson & Flotsam (her trusty helper) make a formidable pair. They compliment Sherlock Holmes & Dr. Watson!
C-shaw
Aug 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is my third Sherlock Holmes & Mrs. Hudson book, and my least favorite so far. Still, an entertaining mystery, lots of fun and excitement.
J. New
Feb 26, 2018
Ethel
Oct 04, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• The Wilhelm Conspiracy (A Sherlock Holmes and Lucy James Mystery #2)
  • Death on the Diversion (Secret Sleuth #1)
  • Locust Point Mystery 3 Book Set
  • The Wonkiest Witch (Wonky Inn, #1)
  • Best Murder in Show (Sophie Sayers Village Mystery #1)
  • The Complete Hester Lynton Mysteries
  • Jeopardy in January (Calendar Mysteries #1)
  • The Withdrawing Room (Kelling & Bittersohn, #2)
  • Hairless Harassment (Pet Whisperer P.I. #3)
  • Horror in the Highlands (Reverend Annabelle Dixon Mystery #5)
  • Humpty Bumpkin (Country Cousin Mysteries #1)
  • On Eden Street (Kings Lake #2)
  • One Hex of a Wedding (A Chintz 'n China Mystery, #5)
  • Pixie Me Up (Newborn Pixie Cozy Mystery, #1)
  • Probable Paws (Mystic Notch #5)
  • The Haunted Lady
  • Fade
  • Bricks and Mortality (Campbell and Carter Mystery, #3)

Martin Davies is a British author. He has written two novels about Sherlock Holmes' housekeeper - Mrs. Hudson and The Spirits' Curse, and one about Joseph Banks and the Mysterious Bird of Ulieta, entitled The Conjuror's Bird, all of which have been published. He is a senior

Mrs. Hudson (4 books)
  • Mrs. Hudson and the Spirits' Curse (A Sherlock Holmes & Mrs Hudson Mystery #1)
  • Mrs. Hudson and the Malabar Rose (A Sherlock Holmes & Mrs Hudson Mystery #2)
  • Mrs Hudson and the Samarkand Conspiracy