Start by marking “The Bureau of Time (The Timewalker Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Bureau of Time (The Timewalker Trilogy, #1)

The Bureau of Time

(The Timewalker #1)

You cannot change fate.

Cassandra Wright is a Timewalker – a teenager with a genetic mutation that allows her to manipulate the flow of time. But her inexplicable powers have made her a target for Adjusters – monstrous assassins from a parallel universe.

Saved from almost certain death, Cassie is pulled into a secret agency sworn to defend our timeline against these th
Published December 16th 2015 by Fontaine Publishing Group

To ask other readers questions about The Bureau of Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bureau of Time

Jeann (Happy Indulgence)
This review was originally posted on Happy Indulgence. Check it out, along with the exclusive author interview here!

You know what’s refreshing about The Bureau of Time? It doesn’t overcomplicate the time travel or the sci-fi. Timewalking, mutated genes and temporal shifts may be hard to grasp if it’s info dumped, but the whole concept behind the powers were integrated flawlessly into the book. New concepts are revealed on a need to know basis, and it doesn’t overload the reader with too much
Josephine Knight
Dec 18, 2015 rated it liked it
After finishing this novel, I can positively say that I have been left speechless and disoriented! Brett has done an amazing job of exploring the concept of time travel and parallel universes. This novel is FULL of action and suspense and twists! While I am not wholly convinced on the relationship between Shaun and Cassie at the present moment, I can already feel that things are going to be double the EVERYTHING GOOD in the sequel.
Therefore, I pronounce The Bureau of Time a fantastic first book
Ricky
This is how you can tell a young male millennial YA writer a la Taran Matharu - he's got a story jam-packed with elements borrowed from just about every other story you can think of, but thrown together in a way that still feels fresh and hyper-awesome.

Brett Michael Orr and his Bureau of Time are no exception.

First and foremost on my list of "Hey, This Sounds Like X!" comparison titles, Bureau of Time edition: Fringe. This book exists in a world of weird science words suspended in colorful gel screens, all set to the tune of an ominous piano-d
Samantha
Dec 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Bureau of Time is exciting, fresh, and habit forming from the very start and, for a novel about time travel (to put it simply) I found it incredibly clear. With things like time travel, stories can get muddy, and I'm happy to say that was not the case here.

The enemy, the adjusters, are super creepy and evil, but as the story progresses they become almost "humanized," most of them at least. Even though they were unsettling in description and their actions, I still wanted to learn
Kristen Kieffer
Dec 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi, read-2016
I was so impressed by this book! I've read plenty of YA fiction in my life, but this one blew almost all of them out of the water.

The characters were well-developed, complex, and highly likable. The story world was so unique and engrossing, anything but the cliche secret gov. organizations and distant dystopian worlds you see in many popular books and movies. And the plot? I was on the edge of my seat the entire read. I tore through this book in two sittings, and my only regret is that I didn't
CW (The Quiet Pond) ✨
Wow, I really, really enjoyed this.

- Classic sci-fiction with a simple but compelling story.
- A great debut that features time-travel, alternate universes, and war.
- The plot develops wonderfully with characters falling into opposite sides of the war and questioning who they are and can become.
- And dammit Brett, 'TO BE CONTINUED?!' You are so cruel.
Elly
This is pretty standard scifi, structurally sound but I had... issues. A lot of small but significant issues, and most of them were in the first few chapters so I almost quit it straight away.

So Cassie... is emotionally inconstant. Yeah she's a teenage girl but even teenage girls can prioritise extreme emotional response that is relevant to their situation and not their loosely constructed 'romances'. She's passive, does absolutely nothing to contribute to the story, she just exists in it, and
Lacey Knox
Feb 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
In case you are unsure about what The Bureau of Time is about, let me sum it up for you quickly. It’s about this teenage girl, Cassandra, who finds out she is a Timewalker, able to manipulate time. She is then thrust into a program to help her become stronger to fight of the Adjusters, monsters that are out to kill Timewalkers. But there is more to the story then just that. Two worlds on on the verge of war, which will leave one world left standing. Which one will it be?

Intriguing, r
Aussie Owned and Read Owned and Read
Brett Michael Orr delivers time traveling teens battling corporeal Death Eaters across two dimensions in this, the 1st of the Timewalker Trilogy. I have not enjoyed time travel as a major plot since Back To The Future but having the power originate in the genetically modified minds of teens rather than the engine of a Delorean took a little for my 80’s brain to accept.

As most who know me can attest, I am not a fan of shared POV novels, but it is essential in Orr’s novel as the main c
Adriana Gabrielle
Jan 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I beta read this book a while back and let me tell you it was SO amazing! Had me on the edge of my seat the whole time and I'm pretty sure I pulled an all nighter to finish that thing once I started. I honestly don't remember how quickly I read this book but that doesn't really matter.... ANYWAYS. I'm rambling. My point it FANTASTIC novel and you should drop what you are doing and get this book right now!...and then read it too!

Kayla/Michaela (mindcrazed)
3.5 stars.

I actually read this in June or something as part of a BETA read. I really enjoyed the story and I can't wait for book two! I ship Caryan <3
Shanti
This was a fast read, and I mostly enjoyed it, though action isn't really my thing. Orr has lots of confusing things going on, and to be honest, I wasn't always following it that much. It is a testament to his writing ability that I never felt very confused. His action scenes are snappy and easy to follow, and the fact that there were a lot of questions I had didn't impede the narrative. There are quite a few tropes in this one, but the plot races, and it's consistently exciting. However, I wish ...more
Carolyn Gilpin
Mar 26, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: loveozya
Well, sadly, I think my brain is just not cut out to follow all the leaps in time in this book. But I did like the concept behind it, and the idea that humans will entirely stuff up their world and create genetic mutants in an attempt to solve their problems. Yep, I'd believe that.

The character of Cassie starts out as a nice, normal young girl who has been haunted by strange monsters that seem out to kill her, but no-one believes her. She's that kid at school who's spent a lot of time talking t
Alyssa Carlier
Dec 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Disclaimer: I received this book for free through a giveaway. I was also one of the beta readers for an earlier draft of this novel. This does not affect the honesty of my review.

I write bookish discussions, esp about diverse representation, at The Devil Orders Takeout!

Speaking generally: a solid and quick read if you’re in the mood for military sci-fi and time travel. (Actual rating: 3.5 stars.)

Let’s talk about the characters! Shaun is one of our MCs — I didn’t find him
charles driver
Jan 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
The Bureau of Time

Without any context, this book is amazing enough. But when you take into account the fact that this is his first published novel, it shines a little brighter. He's avoided a lot of the mistakes common for new writers. His characters are likeable and compelling, and very easy to root for. No gaping plot holes stared at me. The pacing felt solid, like he actually spent time on it -- highs and lows, but never going slack.

Something I particularly liked was his hand
Terry Ibele
Aug 11, 2016
E.B. Thompson
Jan 04, 2016
Curtis
rated it did not like it
Sep 26, 2016
Jeanne Milostan
Feb 29, 2016
Emmy9394
Jan 21, 2016
Brett Michael Orr is a young writer from Brisbane, Australia. He passionately writes Young Adult books in a variety of genres, including science-fiction and dystopian. He’s an avid reader and reviewer – some of his favorite YA novels include A Thousand Pieces of You by Claudia Gray, Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard, and Unwind by Neal Shusterman.

The Timewalker (2 books)
  • The Fate of Us (The Timewalker Trilogy, #2)