Start by marking “The 8-week Blood Sugar Diet: Lose Weight Fast and Reprogramme your Body” as Want to Read:
The 8-week Blood Sugar Diet: Lose Weight Fast and Reprogramme your Body

The 8-week Blood Sugar Diet: Lose Weight Fast and Reprogramme your Body

Dr Michael Mosley, author of the bestselling 5:2 Fast Diet, reveals a game-changing approach to one of the greatest silent epidemics of our time - raised blood sugar levels.

The food we eat today, high in sugar and easily digestible carbohydrates, is not only making us fat, but is putting us at risk of type 2 diabetes, strokes, dementia, cancer and a lifetime on medication.

Published December 17th 2015 by Short Books

To ask other readers questions about The 8-week Blood Sugar Diet, please sign up.
Gerri Hi, my husband and I started to follow this diet in February 2016. At the end of the eight weeks we had lost 5 stones between us to teach our correct…moreHi, my husband and I started to follow this diet in February 2016. At the end of the eight weeks we had lost 5 stones between us to teach our correct weight and hopefully reversed our diabetic states (hubby had type 2 diabetes, I was pre-diabetic our blood sugar levels are lower than diabetic but my husband's doctor wants to make sure we can continue to maintain the levels before he will take him off his diabetic medicine). I couldn't believe how quickly the weight came off and how much we enjoyed our new way of eating. We still don't eat bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, sugar or processed food because we prefer not to now and the weight and health benefits seem to be stable. We have just returned from two weeks to in France with our children and grandchild where the regime was eased, the alcohol was plentiful and we both only put on 1 kg (which a week later we have almost lost again). We followed the book to the letter and I can't praise it highly enough, although on first reading I never though that I could stick to 800 calories a day.(less)

Mandy
Aug 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was really very good. Clear and concise information written in a way that I could easily understand. And recipes too! Definitely be using a lot of the recipes, I think. Very impressed with this author, and this book!
Carol -  Reading Writing and Riesling
I am a big fan of Dr Michael Mosley - and this one did not disappoint.

My View:
It is not secret I am a big fan of Dr Michael Mosley – I love listening to him (he has a great voice) and I am intrigued by the lengths he goes to test a hypothesis – he uses his own body to conduct scientific experiments on and shares with the reader/viewer the process and the results. His advice is simple, easy to understand and based on science and medical knowledge (he s a qualified GP come film maker).

Before I st
Oliver
May 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
My last two HBA1c's were in the non diabetic range because I'd been on the ketogenic diet for the last year. I'd started to slip a little and put weight on as well as seeing much higher blood sugar when I tested.
I bought this book to get myself back on track and to try a variation to the keto diet. The results have astounded me. I'm now fasting at 4.1 - 4.6 and my sugars rarely visit areas above 5.5. I've lost over 12lbs too.
I've only been on the diet for two weeks!
My wife (non diabetic) has joi
Nigeyb
Oct 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
If you’re interested in health and nutrition then this book is well worth a read, and if you're a type 2 diabetic, or getting close to it, then this book is essential reading

I adopted the 5:2 approach to eating since reading 'The Fast Diet: The Simple Secret of Intermittent Fasting: Lose Weight, Stay Healthy, Live Longer' back in January 2014. It’s a permanent lifestyle change rather than a diet, and has worked brilliantly for me. As such, I am always interested in what Michael Mosley has to sa
Mary Johnson
Aug 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
TAKE: 4 'mature' people, all overweight, most with a health issues, two with Type 2 diabetes and all wanting to be more healthy. ADD: 1 TBC book recommend: The Eight Week Blood Sugar Diet by Michael Mosley

4 WEEKS LATER:
3 only used information to improve own diet but still lost LOADS of weight;
1 is now below the Type 2 benchmark and hopes to come off meds soon;
1 has significantly improved mobility;
1 followed the diet religiously, losing 10 pounds in the first week!

All are delighted with the cha
Jun 12, 2016 rated it liked it
To be honest there isn't really anything new in this book about eating and what sort of foods you should eat. Even though I am not diabetic I thought it would be a good diet to still follow to lose weight whilst eating the right foods. Unfortunately apart from recipes which, especially for lunch times I would have struggled to prepare at work, there wasn't a great deal that I fancied. Personally I would have preferred a list of foods that I could eat so I could make up my own meal ideas with the ...more
John
Sep 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I haven’t read this word for word, having skimmed here and there, particularly the endless ‘miracle’ stories/examples which, whilst helpful, became a tad repetitive after a while. Otherwise it’s an interesting and helpful read, for oiks like me, keen to keep blood sugars down. Useful, interesting recipes. 800 calories a day is a challenge though!
Andrea Mcfarlane previously james
I know the science is right, I'm just not sure my willpower is, but hey ho here we go!
Diane Cotterill
Jan 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: health-related
I read this as I am interested in reversing diabetes through dietary changes and Michael Mosley’s books on intermittent fasting (Fast Diet) has been regularly recommended to me. I saw this at the library I thought I would give it a go. This is a short book that covers in easy to read language how you can reverse your Type 2 diabetes with a short 8 week change to your diet, followed by ongoing dietary changes for life.

I found it easy to read and follow, however it seemed like he was trying to sel
Jan 07, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
The diet may be sound and the science behind it valid, but this book shit me. Mosley comdemns GPs with the same sweeping generalisations that he says they use. Same with dietitians. I call bullshit on his claim that the medical profession haven’t told people to lose weight rather than happily giving out diabetic medication and on his claim that they all call for eating more carbs. However, I do like his push for healthier eating (which aligns with my GP’s and my exercise physiologist’s advice fo ...more
Zellieh Zellieh
Jan 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Type 2 diabetic, pre-diabetic, obese, dieters, doctors, nurses
I like Mosley's attitude. This diet and exercise plan seems pretty firmly based on science and the new understanding of how nutrition and the human digestive system works, and what we ned to do to get fitter and stay fitter. It doesn't seem too faddy and most of it sounds simple and sensible. The last half of the book is meal plans and recipes, and there's a website as well.

Obviously sweet foods are off the list: cakes, biscuits, sweets, ice-cream, etc. And vegetables and protein are good for yo
LindyLouMac
Even before reading this book I was working on cutting down my sugar intake! I now appreciate the importance of doing so.

I am now more conscious of the dangers of too much sugar and although I did not feel the need to rigorously carry out the diet recommendations. I like to think that having lived in Italy for many years that I already have a reasonably healthy diet and I try to lead an active lifestyle.

My personal feelings are that too much of so many things are not healthy for us, so I try to
Chan
Sep 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was an interesting read. It is pleasing that people are finding other ways around treating illnesses and not just taking medications. I do not suffer from pre diabetes or iverweight but I feel sluggish and think that my body could go through a bit of a change. After watching my step father pass away who had diabetes and was going to have his toes amputated It makes me inspired to change my havits so I do not fall in the same biat. After reading this and seeing the author live and ...more
Lindzi A
Nov 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book gives hope and emphasizes that each one of us has a big responsibility when it comes to our health and wellness. The research and stories are interesting and motivational but the recipes seem just complicated and not very tasty. I will do my own dishes but try to stay Medi.
Gab
Mar 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wish just reading this book was enough to make me lose weight!!! It's a very easy to read explanation of the science behind a very low calorie (low carb but not low fat) diet and how it can really help your blood sugar levels. There are also same great recipes included as well as exercise tips.
Lisa-Jaine
May 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very good advice and recommended to me by my GP Surgery. The book tells you to use a Blood Monitor but my surgery say they wont provide the strips and needles ..... hmmm.... written in a simplistic and easy to understand the science part way.
Ally Kumari
Sooooo..... I do feel inspired and encouraged. At the same time 90% of the recepies are useless to me because I cant get the indregients where I live.

Rating to be added later..... once I try all this :D
Kate
Feb 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book and diet is excellent. My doctor recommended it to me to lose some weight. It has been the only diet that has worked for me, and I have tried many diets.
Rebecca Foweraker
Jan 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Having just been told I have pre-diabetes my doctor recommended this book for research.
I have watched some of Michael's documentaries, and his book is like his shows- very well explained, with science ( and personal experience) to back up his hypothesis.
Lots of food for thought here and quite inspiring. I have bought the companion recipe book ( although this is not really needed) as this book has a diet plan, and there is a website to assist you with your journey.
Only day two into this diet and
Ganapathy
Jan 05, 2018 rated it liked it
The book is very repetitive. The diet and activities to burn calories can fit into just a few pages. The author sites the relevant research well. Rest of the book is nothing but Mediterranean food recipes (it would have been better if the food recipes catered to a larger audience). This diet works.
Sophia
Sep 15, 2016 rated it liked it
This is a book. It is about health. It uses science (good) and wild promises (bad). This is a book.

I have been stuck indoors for a good number of weeks now due to illness, so the days are dull and dragging. Today, I ventured downstairs and found a copy of this book on the table. I genuinely have no idea whose it is, where it came from, why it was lying there...but I have nothing better to do, so why not read it?

There are some elements that I like:
One - it is encouraging us to think about our hea
emmabbooks
Jul 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
A diet that works and is sustainable

I found this a fascinating book, and the diet /change of eating habits worked for me.

Although intended for people with Type 2 Diabetes, or at risk of developing it, I am in neither of these categories. I just wanted to lose some stubborn weight, and cut down sugar intake.

The book dismisses lots of myths about dieting, explains high and low GI very clearly and gives lots of interesting details about diet and health before getting onto the blood sugar diet. It’s
Stuart Aken
Nov 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
I read this book way back in February 2016, so why am I reviewing it in November? Well, seems to me the best evidence of a diet book’s validity is a personal test. And I can say that this one definitely worked for me!
The book is aimed at individuals in danger of becoming type 2 diabetes sufferers and is subtitled ‘How to Prevent and reverse Type 2 Diabetes (and Stay Off Medication)’. I was never ‘obese’, but my BMI (body mass index) suggested I might become a candidate for type 2 diabetes. It wa
Caitlin
Jan 05, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: health
I read this book at the request of my partner. We're both overweight and at risk for type 2 diabetes for other reasons too and he'd seen a TV show by the author so bought the book to find out more. I approached it with some scepticism but have been interested to find how closely it taps into my existing knowledge relating to my insulin-resistant condition.

This book is an easy read - I've read the whole thing in 1 day of intermittent reading. Even more of a recommendation on this score is that m
Denise Aitken
Nov 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
As a type 2 diabetic, I had heard about the Newcastle diet via the diabetes.co.uk website. This is a very low calorie diet lasting 8 weeks which has been proven to reverse newly diagnosed type 2. I have also been really interested to read about fasting overall and the benefits to diabetics in terms of weight loss and blood sugar control. The theory is that the rapid weight loss clears fat out of the liver and pancreas helping the body become more responsive to insulin again. This book is loosely ...more
Ross McDougall
Jul 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-help, personal, owned
What a cool book, by a cool guy!

I heard Michael Mosley speak when he was in town and I enjoyed his take on health. It's great that he is up to trying out thoughts on himself instead of looking for others to take one for the team.

It was a surprise to hear the Mosley was diagnosed diabetic when he looked healthy, and more so to hear that he was able to completely reverse all its metrics so quickly. Also the fact that people who look 'healthy' (read: thin and attractive) can contract diabetes and a
Rebecca Bradley
Jul 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I need to lose some weight and I also need to address my general diet because of health issues and I'm aware that food can impact how you feel generally. Im not diabetic but when I put weight on I put it on my stomach first.

This book is clear and easy to understand and is backed up by examples/evidence of people having used it. It also explains that not all doctors recognise it as useful yet and that if you are diabetic then you might need to cajole your dr into letting you do this. It's very m
Mochaspresso
Mar 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
The book is concise, straightforward and easy to read. It seems well researched, contains plenty of information and the recipes are well-written and easy to follow.

Time will tell if following this regimen actually works. My only concern is that it's hard to actually commit to such an extreme calorie restriction diet for 6-8 weeks. We also need to be real. There is no curing diabetes. You can CONTROL it, but there is no CURE. The recipes in the book can help with controlling diabetes and are gr
Peter O'Brien
May 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: biohacking, mta
"This is a book about blood sugar. It is about the epidemic of type 2 diabetes that has engulfed the world in recent years, It is also about the insidious build-up of blood sugar that precedes type 2 diabetes - a condition known as prediabetes. This is a wake-up call. A warning." - page 13

So, let's get to the point - EVERYONE is at a high risk of developing diabetes in their lifetime. With the high sugary foods we eat and the nonsensical 'more is better' eating myths we still cling to, diabetes
Kristinita
May 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
I haven't actually done this diet yet, but as recommended by Dr Michael Mosley, I have read the entire book through first, before starting. It was very easy to read, informative, and everything made sense. I've done something similar to this in the past, and had great, lasting results, but stress, emotional easting, and two injuries caused me to backspin to a place I'm not as happy or healthy in. I really need to get a hold of my blood sugar, and drop some excess weight to help heal several issu ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The 8-week Blood Sugar Diet Recipe Book: 150 simple, delicious recipes to help you lose weight fast and keep your blood sugar levels in check
  • The Master Your Metabolism Cookbook
  • Ayurveda
  • The Body Doesn't Lie: A 3-Step Program to End Chronic Pain and Become Positively Radiant
  • Flesh Wounds
  • The Every-Other-Day Diet: The Diet That Lets You Eat All You Want (Half the Time) and Keep the Weight Off
  • Maggie's Harvest
  • Stephanie Alexander's Kitchen Garden Companion
  • Run Fat Bitch Run
  • Why Can't I Meditate?: How to Get Your Mindfulness Practice on Track
  • Yarnitecture: A Knitter's Guide to Spinning: Building Exactly the Yarn You Want
  • The Body Image Workbook: An Eight-Step Program for Learning to Like Your Looks
  • Sweet Poison Quit Plan
  • Mathematics 1001: Absolutely Everything That Matters in Mathematics in 1001 Bite-Sized Explanations
  • Weight Loss for People Who Feel Too Much: A 4-Step, 8-Week Plan to Finally Lose the Weight, Manage Emotional Eating, and Find Your Fabulous Self
  • The Prediabetes Detox: A Whole-Body Program to Balance Your Blood Sugar, Increase Energy, and Reduce Sugar Cravings
  • The Wonderful Future That Never Was: Flying Cars, Mail Delivery by Parachute, and Other Predictions from the Past
  • DASH Diet Detox: 14-day Quick-Start Plan to Lower Blood Pressure and Lose Weight the Healthy Way
Michael Mosley (born 22 March 1957) is a British television journalist, producer and presenter who has worked for the BBC since 1985. He is probably best known as a presenter of television programmes on biology and medicine and his regular appearances on The One Show.

Born in Kolkata, India, the son of a bank director, Mosley studied philosophy, politics and economics at New College, Oxford before
“Diabetes – the physical costs Hypertension: 70% of diabetics also require medication for blood pressure. Cholesterol: 65% of diabetics require medication to reduce their cholesterol. Heart attacks: Diabetics, even when on full medication, are twice as likely to be hospitalised, crippled or die from a heart attack. Strokes: Diabetics are 1.5 times more likely to suffer a debilitating stroke. Blindness and Eye Problems: Diabetes is the number one cause of preventable blindness in the developed world. Impotence: Diabetes is also the number one cause of impotence. Dementia: Having diabetes doubles your risk of dementia. Kidney disease: Diabetes is the cause of kidney failure in half of all new cases; most people on dialysis are diabetics. Amputations: There are over 7000 diabetes-related amputations done every year in the UK and over 73,000 in the US.” 0 likes
“Professor Taylor’s research suggests that it is the buildup of fat inside the liver and pancreas that causes all the trouble. These two organs are responsible for controlling our insulin and blood sugar levels. As they get clogged up with fat they stop communicating with each other. Eventually your body stops producing insulin and you become a type 2 diabetic.” 0 likes