Start by marking “Monarch (War of the Princes, #3)” as Want to Read:
Monarch (War of the Princes, #3)

Monarch

(War of the Princes #3)

Rune Thayer’s rebellion in Cape Hill has placed all of Breakwater in danger. Now, Katelyn Kestrel and her best friend Kyle must do something that no one in the Western Kingdom has ever attempted: travel North into enemy territory and request aid from none other than Prince Varion himself.

Before they are able to depart, Katelyn is unwillingly brought face-to-face with Prin
Published January 5th 2016 (first published May 25th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Monarch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Monarch

Ria
Full Review to Follow@...http://www.abookishescape.com/2017/03...

The End, there is an attack on the capital and all heck breaks loose. There are so many things going on at once that my brain and my heart were going to explode. Seriously talk about super charged (pun intended.) Almost everything is revealed except the great and terrible why! Raserion has made his reasons known but we still don’t know Varions!! I will say when I got to the end after being on the edge of my seat I had to pick my JA
Amanda
Jan 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
A double review of this and the previous novel originally posted on [a cup of tea and an armful of books]

Katelyn’s role as an outsider has finally come to this. Since she wasn’t born in this land, she has the potential to bring peace to the two separated countries if she agrees to be an envoy. She’s tasked with asking Prince Varion to send military support to Breakwater, a town that is only moments away from the wrath of Prince Raserion after the events in Paperglass. That is easier said than do
ɑƨħŵɑɡ ♥Team Magnus Damora FOREVER♥
Actual rating: 3.5

Kate, Kyle, Dylan and Rune go on another adventure to the North lands where they must find Varion and ask him to send armies to protect Breakwater and Haven from Raserion's attack. This journey is sure to bring them so many unexpected secrets and revelations.

I actually like this more than the previous ones mainly because Katelyn wasn't the main focus and other characters had their time to grow, especially Kyle. Like the previous two books, the twists and turns were so unexpecte
Caroline
I received a copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Monarch like it’s predecessors, Haven and Paperglass, is a fantasy / steampunk novel packed with action, adventure and surprises.

We pick up immediately after the events of Paperglass with Katelyn and crew fulfilling their promise to Common Lord Brendon Axton in helping to aid the city of Breakwater.

I love that in this book we get to learn more about the Northern army. We already learned a lot about the Dragoons and Ma
Kim Duda
Oct 05, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was so disappointing after Haven and Dragoon. It's like an entirely different person wrote this book having never read book 1 & 2. Very strange... I can't believe the didn't wrap it up and is dragging it out into a fourth book. So sad but I honestly don't think I will read book four.
Curly Carla Celebrity Readers

Favorite Quotes:

“Sometimes I have a difficult time understanding how such beauty can exist in such a dark world,”

Dread twisted my insides and I glanced over my shoulder in panic. The figure drew closer, shadows peeling free of it like sticky tar. There was no definition to its face, only a pair of solid white eyes. A terrified breath ripped out of my lungs. It was too late. I looked into the eyes and couldn’t turn away. I skittered backward, too slowly. Th
Katy
Book three, and I was really happy with how the story continued without slowing down - although I was a bit hazy on the specifics of the books that came before it since it had been so long since I read them, it took me awhile to remember everything. But Katelyn continues to be a heroine I really, really like and enjoy reading about, and man I did NOT see any of the twists coming, so by about 40%, I was on the edge of my seat trying to see what would happen next. The end - not the absolute end, s ...more
Julie
Jun 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love it!

Wow! Finished this book quicker than the other two because I just can't put the story down! Took it with me literally everywhere and have the next book waiting for me! I loved the way the characters have grown since the first book and all of the twists turns ups and downs they have faced. Each book has just gotten better and I can't wait to see what the fourth book has in store for everyone.
Kimberly Clow
Mar 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A page Turner!

When I started this series I was instantly hooked by book one! The writing let's you think you know what's going to happen, but there are incredible twists and turns around every corner! Book two was somewhat slow and had me reconsidering my series choice, but I read through it and am so glad I did. Where book two was lacking, book three made up for it all. I couldn't put it down! I would definitely recommend reading this series!!!
Wendy
Dec 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Continues to be a very good, fast-paced, plot-twisting series. I don’t see the twists coming, they’re so unexpected. And the fact that the characters are still interesting, and I want to go straight on to the next book, for me, really says something about this series. I’m so glad they’re all out, or I think I’d go bonkers!
Ashlyn
Review for Monarch

And the story continues! They journey to the North to plead the help of Prince Varion. With ups and downs, traitors and friends, surprises and plans, betrayal and love, this story is an excellent addition to the series. After finishing, I feel all sorts of anxious to see how it all ends!! How will this wrap up? Gee whiz I can't wait!
Shellbelle19
This book took me forever to read. I am not sure why I wasn’t that into it.
Jessica Willoughby
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Amazing series

This series is addicting and full of characters you fall in love with. I read it in one sitting which is a great barometer of how amazing it is
Annie
Jul 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: already-bought
Keep reading. It just gets better and better.
Ruthsic
Rune Thayer’s rebellion in Cape Hill has placed all of Breakwater in danger from the ruthless and mercurial Prince Raserion. Now, Katelyn Kestrel and her best friend, Kyle, must do something that no one in the Western Kingdom has ever attempted: travel North to request aid from Prince Varion, the mysterious monarch who’s been locked in a bloody war with his brother for centuries.

But as Katelyn sets sail for enemy territory, she’s confronted by Prince Raserion. He knows what she’s planning to do
Haley Keller
Feb 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Just like when I reviewed the second book in this series, I want to try to avoid all spoilers even for the first book in this review. Or at least not spoil anything too huge. Because of that, this will most likely be brief. There's so much I could go on and on about in this book, but almost all of it is a spoiler for this book anyway. So much happened, and it was amazing and wonderful and emotional. I still haven't recovered.

I loved this book. With each book in this series, I become increasingly
Jacqui
Dec 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The third book in the series is a fantasy novel and aimed at young adults.

Katelyn and friends are trying to piece together their lives after their devastating loss at the end of book two. Common-Lord Brendon Axton has a very important mission for them. In order to keep Breakwater safe following the start of the rebellion, the friends are tasked with finding Prince Varion and asking him for protection from Prince Raserion. On the journey Katelyn is visited by Raserion and given a task-one it seem
Jessica | Booked J
Dec 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
"If circumstances in life were always changing, shouldn't that mean people could change, too? Every moment should be a platform for positive growth and new possibilities."

As a note, an e-galley of this novel was sent to me via NetGalley by the publisher in exchange for an honest review. This does not effect my opinions in any way.

This review contains spoilers. Following the startling events of Paperglass, our series The War of Princes continues with a third book, Monarch–nothing can prepare us
Becky Keebler
Dec 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book made me do my first review ever...

The rating is not just for Monarch, but for The War of the Princes as a series and for A. R. Ivanovich. It would be easy to rate The Hunger Games, or Throne of Glass, or Penryn and the End of Days. This book deserves following as much and the relatively unknown author deserves such praise as those writing the latter volumes. A.R. Ivanovich has written a story that has quietly kept me purchasing sequels and reading them end to end. I've not gotten bored
Emma
I received a free copy of this book via netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Having found the first two books in the series amazing, the start of this one disappointed me, I took about a week to read the first half then a couple of hours to read the last half. It was just a little lack luster, there was no oomph to it. I really struggled to find the will to carry on.

Once I got past the first half, I quite enjoyed it. There were some good twists along the way. Carmine's part the story was a
K.T. Brison
Jan 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*I was given a free copy of this book in exchange for my honest review*
Okay, so Ivanovich completely took my breath with this one. I had settled in to third installment of the War of Princes series with the expectation of a certain story–a certain kind of story–and she went and turned it on its head. Remember last week in my review of Paperglass when I said these books get better as they go? I did not then realize the enormous truth of that statement. So let me say it again. So far, each of thes
TheBookLion
Oct 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
description
HOLY FREAKING GRAVITY
That was.... AWESOME
Did not, I DID NOT saw ANYall those plot twists coming! Holy crapolla! Man I love it, I love love these series and I really thought it was a Trilogy but damn.
Another book huh?! I love there is another and I hate it too, because come on RUNE! WHY?! WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?! They just got each other. SICK PILOT, I hope she gets her ass whooped by Kat and Dylan.

And Kyle, SON OF A LODESTONE! Are you kidding me?! This was the best of all the p
Richelle Zirkle
Jan 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The third in the War of the Princes series... Another book devoured!

Between Rune and Katelyn, a disturbance has been created in Lastland. Common Lord Axton has tasked Katelyn, her Dragoon, Kyle and Dylan with finding Prince Varion and securing his help. It may be the only thing that can keep Breakwater safe following the rebellion, and Haven's security depends in part on their success. As they travel on the Flying Fish, Katelyn is plagued by a Gateling. She "travels" to Shadows within Shadows an
Rachel
Jan 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley-reads
I received this book from Netgalley.

Wow. My review of this book will be very similar to the last book in this series. Just wow. I loved it. Katelyn keeps growing and becoming more powerful while still trying to remain who she was before leaving Haven. Rune is just amazing. I did not see the twist with Kyle or the one with Carmine for that matter and those were just great. I love it when authors can throw a plot twist that I didn't see coming. The writing style is just fantastic with the reader
Ashley
Nov 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Awesome!

I still think the second one was my favorite, simply because I felt like things got a little slow for a while in this one. But, there was still plenty of action packed in this book to make up for that and it was still so great!!

I love Katelyn and Rune, I actually love Dylan in all of his pompous, synical glory and, honestly, I kinda like Raserion too. But idk, he seems to be destined for evil :(

I always found Kyle to be kind of an irritating weakling and, now that I've finished this book
Jackie
Jan 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received a copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Once again, A. R. Ivanovich manages to create yet another amazing sequel. Many unexpected turns tell you that not everything is as it seems, esp this book. It starts out slow but then next thing you know you are at the end of the book. And it gnaws at you until you pick up the next book, ready to bring satisfaction to an unfinished ending. That is how I feel. I can't wait to read the final book and close this amazing
It took me a moment to remember all of the players and I was constantly interrupted.

However, once I got to the last half of the book, I locked myself in a room and tore through it. I was hanging on every word and wanted to know how? when? why?

Then I hit the epilogue, I was frantically searching for the ending I wanted...I did not find it.

I was heart-broken, then I got to the acknowledgements...Yes!!! There will be another book!

The twists that were hinted at before, the redemption, the betrayal,
C. Erani Kole
Definitely shed a few tears with this one. The most intense yet!

So much happens in this, but the pacing was an interesting build to it, starting off slow with details I skimmed over to all of a sudden having a party to blow my mind. And such betrayal! Ugh, I could strangle a certain character right now. Writing style was good, thought a few things lagged, but overall still an entertaining read. On to the fourth book.
megs_bookrack
Nov 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I finished Monarch yesterday and I am still thinking about it. The ending was massive and I cannot wait for the 4th book of the series. I thought this one would be the final book but clearly there is much more in store for Katelyn. The descriptions were so vivid I am still picturing the final scenes in my mind, busily construing what will possibly happen in Book 4. I will be happy as long as A.R. keeps them coming, she certainly has impressed with this one!
I would not have started this book (or series, for that matter) if I'd known that there will be a fourth book! I need to know what happens!

This book was a nice, entertaining read. I was surprised by a few twists and that's always a good thing. The world building continues to be solid, but some of the analogies were a bit odd. Overall, a solid 4.

• First Daughter (Royals of Dharia, #3)
  • City in Ruins
  • Darkest Worlds: A Dystopian Anthology
  • Shudder (Stitch Trilogy, #2)
  • Siege and Storm: Chapters 1-5
  • Tick Tock: Seven Tales of Time
  • Heirs of Prophecy (The Prophecies, #1)
  • The Earth Dwellers (The Dwellers #4; Country Saga #4 )
  • Noir (The Illumination Paradox, #2)
  • The Fierce Reads Anthology
  • Devices Brightly Shining (Magnificent Devices, #9)
  • Oath of Destruction (Reign of Secrets, Book 5)
  • The Defiance (Brilliant Darkness, #2)
  • Red Queen Collection (Red Queen,  #0.1-2)
A. R. IVANOVICH enjoys being swallowed by forests, sleeping on lakes, and watching the sky. Her passion for writing is accompanied by a love of video games, painting, horseback riding and the subtle craft of nacho-making. A. R. regularly encourages those around her to follow their dreams no matter the obstacles, because, as she can attest, the rewards are more than worth the effort. She was raised ...more

War of the Princes (4 books)
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
  • Dragoon (War of the Princes, #2)
  • Lastland (The War of Princes, #4)
“If” 0 likes
“I will not spend eternity wrestling truth into a people who do not care to have it. One man alone cannot defend against a plague of ignorance that can only be treated and never cured. I have learned this.” 0 likes