Start by marking “Any Means Necessary (Luke Stone #1)” as Want to Read:
Any Means Necessary (Luke Stone #1)

Any Means Necessary

(Luke Stone #1)

When nuclear waste is stolen by jihadists in the middle of the night from an unguarded New York City hospital, the police, in a frantic race against time, call in the FBI. Luke Stone, head of an elite, secretive, department within the FBI, is the only man they can turn to. Luke realizes right away that the terrorists’ aim is to create a dirty bomb, that they seek a high-va ...more
Published December 12th 2015 by Amazon Digital Services (first published December 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Any Means Necessary, please sign up.

Veronica
Mar 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
This was a pretty much paint-by-the-numbers plot with an unnecessary cliffhanger-ish ending. It felt like the author just decided to stop writing.
Jim A
Apr 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Really two different story lines here. Both follow the formula of the day. First is a top FBI agent called from quasi retirement to chase down some stolen radioactive medical waste. That then morphs into a political thriller. While the book is very predictable, Mars does it in such a way as to keep my interest.

The book does end in a cliff hanger which I really hate. It would not have changed his ideas for the second of the series if he had taken this book to its conclusion and then moved along t
Suzanne
Apr 03, 2016 rated it liked it
White on White!

This novel gets into the story fast and the action is non-stop afterwards. I was floored to see that it was this author's first book since it is a polished work with few typographical errors and it is evident that he wanted to present a novel that was organized and edited. I certainly appreciate an author more when they offer me a novel that is not full of grammatical errors. The story hooked me and I read the book in one sitting. I have a good picture of the main characters since
Rohit Enghakat
Jan 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a superb action thriller. It is fast paced, taut and edge of the seat type book keeping one on tenterhooks all the time. There are twists and turns every 20 pages or so. It is about a conspiracy to topple the US govt.with a view to wage a war on Iran, a supposedly terrorist state. A fast, light read for military thriller aficionados and conspiracy theorists. The only scene which I couldn't digest was how easy it was for the protagonist to enter White House on a fake identity, just walk i ...more
Lucy
Jul 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
i actually really really like this the characters were good and the story had realistic like sexism and racism but still had diverse men and women and not just white ppl. few books i want to read the next one bc i like the book mostly its bc ive read one so i have to finish it but i like this so i hope the others are just as good tysm.
BonusMom
May 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
Disappointing ending

Aside from the political conspiracy theories that others have commented on, this story was pretty far fetched and read more like a couple of bad episodes of '24'. And I agree with those who will not buy the next book in a series simply because the author doesn't care enough about his readers to finish his books.
Donald T Taylor
Apr 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Designated Survivor and 24 ...

... all rolled into one. Non-stop political thriller you will have difficulty putting down. Looking forward to getting started on Book #2, Oath of Office, as soon as I tap the "submit" button.
Jackie
Dec 10, 2016 rated it liked it
I read a few of the 1 star reviews to see why they rated this book so low. And yes, maybe there's a bit of merit there. Or maybe not so much. Maybe it was my mood. Maybe I've read so many sub-par books lately that this was just the thing to hold my attention and help me remember why I love reading so much.

So, I liked this one well enough to recommend it to my husband. There is a bit of language in it that I don't care for, but thankfully the author kept it minimal. I still don't like it and find
Robert W. Gruen
Sep 20, 2017 rated it liked it
A lot of action designed to keep the reader spell bound. However, the plot obviously comes from a wild imagination. Palace intrigue resulting in the White House being blown up by explosives smuggled in by dissident government agencies and causing the government to be decapitated and the world going into chaos! Radioactive hospital waste killing thousands, etc. Then that whole mess being resolved by two or three mavericks in almost no time at all. Pretty wild.

A lot of action to keep the reader sp
Barbara
Feb 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book started out slowly, and it took me a while to get to know the characters. Once I got into the book, it moved fast. A great thriller. Correlates closely to what is happening in our world today. Scary to think that the USA has the vulnerabilities pointed out in the book. Starting the second book
Jess
Jan 04, 2018 rated it liked it
First, going into this, you have to know the plot is a bit much. I suppose such palace intrigue could happen, even in the United States, but thankfully it's nothing we've really seen before (unless you think the JFK assassination was an inside job... but even that didn't reach the level of things that occur in this book). With that said, the plot moves, the characters are interesting enough for you to feel some connection, and it's a page-turner of a book.

I recently finished two serious non-fict
Brent Torres
Oct 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
There are many conflicts in Any Means Necessary by Jack Mars. The book has a character vs. character because Luke Stone, part of the FBI, needs to take down a group of terrorists who stole nuclear waste. Luke and his team are constantly chasing the Jihadists, the terrorist group, to end the chaos. But when the Jihadists got away when he was close and became framed for the incident, the FBI threatens his team and his family. The other conflict is character vs. society because Luke and his team ar ...more
Bill Warden
Mar 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thriller
Ok, this was a good book to start .... THEN it got GREAT!

I'll just say be prepared to not put the book down after about 50% of the way in. Don't get me wrong, the first 50% was not bad ... but after I got past the half-way point, the book just kept getting better and better. Before I knew it, the book was over, and the way it ended, I NEED to read the next one quickly. The only problem is that I have some other books already in queue, so I need to get those done before I can get back to this ser
Nance
Sep 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
The storyline made me think it was a script for a made for TV movie, but it was full of action, fast paced and a pretty enjoyable read.
Alan Marston
Aug 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
A cracker of a read! It really did grab hold of me and I was reading until late in the night. The nearest I can compare it to is the Mitch Rapp series written by the late Vince Flynn.
Luke Stone is not only very efficient at what he does, but he is also an engaging character with an attractive wife and son. Accompanied by the indomitable Ed Newsham, he takes on a very deep rooted conspiracy, the perpetrators of which would like to remove him from the scene at any cost.
He never knows whom he can r
Tanja Glavnik
Jan 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was my kind of book, but BOY did a lot of things happen!

I'm the type of reader who will routinely go through Agatha Christie or Arthur Conan Doyle, not to mention Vince Flynn and Rom Clancy, so Jack Mars was a very good revelation for me.

Despite the fact that there's a whole lot that happens in a relatively short period of time (like, was it even 48 hours?) and because of this the details weren't as worked out as could be since you had to cram a lot into the pages, it was a good, exciting r
Melanie
Feb 12, 2017 rated it liked it
There was something that was bugging me about the story all the way through...Something almost familiar. Then it hit me...it's basically 24 (the TV series) fan-fic with the characters replaced!
Once I got past that, I found it to be not too bad, just a bit predictable. Not sure if I will go for the next book or not.
Heather Ashley
Aug 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book was a reasonably quick read for me. It kept my interest the whole way through. The characters are interesting. The plot was outrageous, but it was an interesting political thriller. The character development for the first book in a series is well done and it's a well written novel. Bonus - it was a free ebook from Amazon.ca. I will be looking for the next book in the series.
Jane Campbell
Jan 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Well written political thriller. Not everyone's politics but that's got nothing to do with a well executed first effort. I do wish there was more resolution at the end. I'm not a big fan of cliffhangers but I will get the next book and expect to be well entertained again.
Kevin Beck
Jul 22, 2017 rated it liked it
An interesting story. Luke Stone is your basic Mitch Rapp / Jack Reacher type hero. Kicks butt and takes names. All the time dealing with ungrateful government bureaucrats who can't remember that Luke saved their lives 3 pages ago.
Cheryl Sitmer
Loved it! Fast paced thriller! Buying the next book NOW!
Esther
May 13, 2017 rated it liked it
A fast paced story of intrigue and deception. I will be reading the rest of this series.
Chris
Definitely a thriller! Would have preferred less political opinion.
Tony Parsons
Dec 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
6/5, Fairfax County, VG. Washington, DC (burb). Don Morris (former Special Response Team boss, retired US Army Special Forces: Delta Force) informed FBI SA Luke Stone (39, husband) he had an urgent matter for him to attend to.
Manhattan, NY. The Center Medical Center stores radioactive materials in a containment vault 6 stories below street level.

Kitty Faulkner (33) a female security guard had been killed.
Someone has taken off with 26 days of them.
Rebecca (Luke’s wife) Gunner (son), Trudy Welli
Ed Kay
Jun 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
Hilarious and failed attempt at replicating the 'Jack Reacher' formula.

Reacher is generally ridiculous, but remains almost plausible if you suspend your disbelief and commit to the fairy tale world that Lee Child creates.

This guy, on the other hand, demands an investment of faith bordering on the religious - and even then the story barrels on past implausibility into the preposterous and farcical.

The White House is blown up in the first 100 pages, for goodness sake, and things just get more ludi
Jim
Oct 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Luke Stone is a member of the FBI's Special Response Team (SRT), an elite para-military unit designed to contend and combat terrorists and other organizations/individuals seeking to harm the United States. Although he has been doing this for several years (after leaving Delta Force), he is now on extended leave in order to be with his wife and son.

Stone receives a call in the middle of the night from the head of SRT. Unknown individuals have broken into a hospital in New York City and stolen rad
Gordon Hunter
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
It was .... fine

I had high hopes for this but the author comes across as very young with no real techno-sense of weapons, physical fighting or politics. It repeated every unoriginal one liner that had been over used 100 times. The monologues were stale and too familiar.
An obvious “democrat left blinded” view of politics and every step was predictable. The characters were stereotyped all the way down to the manual laborers. I almost stopped reading it a couple of times during the idiotic descrip
Susan
May 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Lot of action, intrigue and political backstabbing. Our hero Luke has retired after being in the military and also as a special ops team member. He has a family which is a little different in this genre. However his family obligations don't stop him from saving the country. Luke is able to handle any situation thrown at him. I enjoyed that he had a good friend on the team who worked with him. I didn't particularly like the not so subtle slams at the conservative political point of view. I like a ...more
Patti Fischetti
Jan 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A thrill ride that you don't want to get off of!

From page one I was hooked. I didn't want to put it down. I even read it while the news was on. Jack Mars is an exceptional writer. He puts you into the drivers seat and hands you the gun as you become one with the hero. The only thing I had a hard time with was one of the characters was portrayed as the President elect. Too politically correct. Once you get past that short reference I'm sure you will be caught up in the action like I was. Enjoy!
Balthazar Lawson
Apr 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an action packed thrill ride from the beginning to the end. What seems like a terrorist theft of nuclear material turns into a fight for his life and family for Luke Stone, an ex-member of an FBI strike force called back to service. He shows grit and determination to get the job done, and as the title suggests, by any means possible. But the case just grows into a complex situation where he doesn't know who to trust.

The only think I don't like about this book is the sudden and very abrup
Nook books: March 18, 2016 1 8 Mar 18, 2016 07:10PM
  • Foreign and Domestic  (Captain Jake Mahegan, #1)
  • Spectre Rising
  • Call to Duty (Matt Pontowski, #2)
  • Tripoli's Target (Justin Hall, #2)
  • Shattered Trident (Jerry Mitchell, #4)
  • The Lance (The Project, #2)
  • The Coalition (A Nick Lassiter-Skyler Thriller #2)
  • Captive-in-Chief
  • Mark One (Midway #1)
  • The Art of War (Tommy Carmellini #6; Jake Grafton & Tommy Carmellini Universe #16)
  • A Cold Day in Mosul (Ethan Galaal #2)
  • The Sniper and the Wolf (Sniper Elite, #3)
  • Omega Dog (Joe Venn, #1)
  • Ice Station Nautilus (Trident Deception, #3)
  • Hyena Road: A Novel
  • Cold Shot (Kyra Stryker & Jonathan Burke, #2)
  • 3 Lies (Masters CIA Thriller, #1)
  • Parallax View (Tracie Tanner #1)
Jack Mars is author of the bestselling LUKE STONE thriller series, which include the suspense thrillers ANY MEANS NECESSARY (book #1), OATH OF OFFICE (book #2) and SITUATION ROOM (book #3).

Luke Stone (7 books)
  • Oath of Office (Luke Stone, #2)
  • Situation Room (Luke Stone #3)
  • Oppose Any Foe (Luke Stone #4)
  • President Elect (Luke Stone #5)
  • Our Sacred Honor (Luke Stone #6)
  • House Divided (Luke Stone #7)
“He looked like he couldn’t grow a beard if Allah himself depended on it. “We” 0 likes
“ethereal.” 0 likes