Start by marking “Any Means Necessary (Luke Stone #1)” as Want to Read:
Any Means Necessary (Luke Stone #1)

Any Means Necessary

(Luke Stone #1)

When nuclear waste is stolen by jihadists in the middle of the night from an unguarded New York City hospital, the police, in a frantic race against time, call in the FBI. Luke Stone, head of an elite, secretive, department within the FBI, is the only man they can turn to. Luke realizes right away that the terrorists’ aim is to create a dirty bomb, that they seek a high-va ...more
Published December 12th 2015 by Amazon Digital Services (first published December 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Any Means Necessary, please sign up.

Start your review of Any Means Necessary (Luke Stone #1)
Veronica
Mar 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
This was a pretty much paint-by-the-numbers plot with an unnecessary cliffhanger-ish ending. It felt like the author just decided to stop writing.
Jim A
Apr 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Really two different story lines here. Both follow the formula of the day. First is a top FBI agent called from quasi retirement to chase down some stolen radioactive medical waste. That then morphs into a political thriller. While the book is very predictable, Mars does it in such a way as to keep my interest.

The book does end in a cliff hanger which I really hate. It would not have changed his ideas for the second of the series if he had taken this book to its conclusion and then moved along t
Fahad Naeem
May 25, 2019 rated it liked it
I started disliking it from the very beginning as it contained lots of biasedness but still kept reading. Lots of material were like movie-material.

The action was unreal and packed with stunts which have nothing to do with reality.

I liked the plot but the writing style was amateur, transitions were quite unprofessional and chapters were short and lack the relevant material.

I liked the suspense and it kept me glued when I learnt about the conspiracy going on and read it till the end. The ending
Suzanne
Apr 03, 2016 rated it liked it
White on White!

This novel gets into the story fast and the action is non-stop afterwards. I was floored to see that it was this author's first book since it is a polished work with few typographical errors and it is evident that he wanted to present a novel that was organized and edited. I certainly appreciate an author more when they offer me a novel that is not full of grammatical errors. The story hooked me and I read the book in one sitting. I have a good picture of the main characters since
Stewart Sternberg
Oct 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is perfect escapism. Believable? No. But it is a fun page turner, an action pulp.
Rohit Enghakat
Jan 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a superb action thriller. It is fast paced, taut and edge of the seat type book keeping one on tenterhooks all the time. There are twists and turns every 20 pages or so. It is about a conspiracy to topple the US govt.with a view to wage a war on Iran, a supposedly terrorist state. A fast, light read for military thriller aficionados and conspiracy theorists. The only scene which I couldn't digest was how easy it was for the protagonist to enter White House on a fake identity, just walk i ...more
Tulay
Mar 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Very good start for the Luke Stone thrillers.

Excellent page turner, non stop action. Author wrote this book to entertain us, not because he might be conservative or liberal. But this laughable presidential year, it was a good read. You have to buy the next book to find out about the ending, and I already did. Third book in the series will be coming out in June, but if the second book leaves me hanging, I will be upset.
Lucy
Jul 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
i actually really really like this the characters were good and the story had realistic like sexism and racism but still had diverse men and women and not just white ppl. few books i want to read the next one bc i like the book mostly its bc ive read one so i have to finish it but i like this so i hope the others are just as good tysm.
BonusMom
May 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
Disappointing ending

Aside from the political conspiracy theories that others have commented on, this story was pretty far fetched and read more like a couple of bad episodes of '24'. And I agree with those who will not buy the next book in a series simply because the author doesn't care enough about his readers to finish his books.
Matt
Apr 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Donald T Taylor
Apr 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Designated Survivor and 24 ...

... all rolled into one. Non-stop political thriller you will have difficulty putting down. Looking forward to getting started on Book #2, Oath of Office, as soon as I tap the "submit" button.
Jackie
Dec 10, 2016 rated it liked it
I read a few of the 1 star reviews to see why they rated this book so low. And yes, maybe there's a bit of merit there. Or maybe not so much. Maybe it was my mood. Maybe I've read so many sub-par books lately that this was just the thing to hold my attention and help me remember why I love reading so much.

So, I liked this one well enough to recommend it to my husband. There is a bit of language in it that I don't care for, but thankfully the author kept it minimal. I still don't like it and find
Robert W. Gruen
Sep 20, 2017 rated it liked it
A lot of action designed to keep the reader spell bound. However, the plot obviously comes from a wild imagination. Palace intrigue resulting in the White House being blown up by explosives smuggled in by dissident government agencies and causing the government to be decapitated and the world going into chaos! Radioactive hospital waste killing thousands, etc. Then that whole mess being resolved by two or three mavericks in almost no time at all. Pretty wild.

A lot of action to keep the reader sp
Barbara
Feb 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book started out slowly, and it took me a while to get to know the characters. Once I got into the book, it moved fast. A great thriller. Correlates closely to what is happening in our world today. Scary to think that the USA has the vulnerabilities pointed out in the book. Starting the second book
Melanie
Feb 12, 2017 rated it liked it
There was something that was bugging me about the story all the way through...Something almost familiar. Then it hit me...it's basically 24 (the TV series) fan-fic with the characters replaced!
Once I got past that, I found it to be not too bad, just a bit predictable. Not sure if I will go for the next book or not.
Heather Ashley
Aug 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book was a reasonably quick read for me. It kept my interest the whole way through. The characters are interesting. The plot was outrageous, but it was an interesting political thriller. The character development for the first book in a series is well done and it's a well written novel. Bonus - it was a free ebook from Amazon.ca. I will be looking for the next book in the series.
Chris
Definitely a thriller! Would have preferred less political opinion.
Jess
Jan 04, 2018 rated it liked it
First, going into this, you have to know the plot is a bit much. I suppose such palace intrigue could happen, even in the United States, but thankfully it's nothing we've really seen before (unless you think the JFK assassination was an inside job... but even that didn't reach the level of things that occur in this book). With that said, the plot moves, the characters are interesting enough for you to feel some connection, and it's a page-turner of a book.

I recently finished two serious non-fict
Brent Torres
Oct 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
There are many conflicts in Any Means Necessary by Jack Mars. The book has a character vs. character because Luke Stone, part of the FBI, needs to take down a group of terrorists who stole nuclear waste. Luke and his team are constantly chasing the Jihadists, the terrorist group, to end the chaos. But when the Jihadists got away when he was close and became framed for the incident, the FBI threatens his team and his family. The other conflict is character vs. society because Luke and his team ar ...more
Bill Warden
Mar 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thriller
Ok, this was a good book to start .... THEN it got GREAT!

I'll just say be prepared to not put the book down after about 50% of the way in. Don't get me wrong, the first 50% was not bad ... but after I got past the half-way point, the book just kept getting better and better. Before I knew it, the book was over, and the way it ended, I NEED to read the next one quickly. The only problem is that I have some other books already in queue, so I need to get those done before I can get back to this ser
Gebina Zon
Feb 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
A very good book. You get sucked in and want to keep reading to figure out who is behind it all. The end has me a bit confussed though, I had a feeling that I was missing pages as the plot ends so uprubtly. He is in jail and suddenly it is all over. And I don’t know how. Hopefully it will become clear in the next book.
truenorth
Mar 28, 2019 rated it liked it
This book was in a virtual bargain bin, so I got it and read. It was surprisingly interesting. Fairly unrealistic at times, but spellbinding none the less. Fairly clean, though heavy violence at times.
Deborah
Jan 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Any Means Necessary

Initially, I didn't think I'd like this book. I'm glad to discover this author and series. It is action packed with a thought-provoking plot. I have no problems recommending this book.
Alejandro
Mar 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great book. Highly recommend it to everyone.
Monica
Feb 23, 2017 rated it did not like it
I read the reviews for Any Means Necessary. It sounded like an interesting book to read to my husband while we drive. It sounded like something good. It was good. It was awful. Or wait, it made me feel awful. I have no rating for it because it was well written and I mostly liked it. But.

It was a book about a man who worked for the FBI under the Special Response Team. They were very good at their job. They were hackers. They were trying to preserve justice. When a call came from Luke Stone's boss
Nance
Sep 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
The storyline made me think it was a script for a made for TV movie, but it was full of action, fast paced and a pretty enjoyable read.
Ed Kay
Jun 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
Hilarious and failed attempt at replicating the 'Jack Reacher' formula.

Reacher is generally ridiculous, but remains almost plausible if you suspend your disbelief and commit to the fairy tale world that Lee Child creates.

This guy, on the other hand, demands an investment of faith bordering on the religious - and even then the story barrels on past implausibility into the preposterous and farcical.

The White House is blown up in the first 100 pages, for goodness sake, and things just get more ludi
Alan Marston
Aug 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
A cracker of a read! It really did grab hold of me and I was reading until late in the night. The nearest I can compare it to is the Mitch Rapp series written by the late Vince Flynn.
Luke Stone is not only very efficient at what he does, but he is also an engaging character with an attractive wife and son. Accompanied by the indomitable Ed Newsham, he takes on a very deep rooted conspiracy, the perpetrators of which would like to remove him from the scene at any cost.
He never knows whom he can r
Robert Bailey
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
So the story line is good and full of action but I found the writing to be poor, a few chapters were full of short sentences so it didn't flow at all in a lot of places and there were so many clichés and terrible patriotic quotes/speeches throughout the book I've strained my eyes from rolling them so frequently. Also, a lot of the action is absolutely absurd. One scene itself is so badly written it's almost comical - stone jumps on top of a car which is travelling at 100mph but he stays on the r ...more
Gordon Hunter
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
It was .... fine

I had high hopes for this but the author comes across as very young with no real techno-sense of weapons, physical fighting or politics. It repeated every unoriginal one liner that had been over used 100 times. The monologues were stale and too familiar.
An obvious “democrat left blinded” view of politics and every step was predictable. The characters were stereotyped all the way down to the manual laborers. I almost stopped reading it a couple of times during the idiotic descrip
Nook books: March 18, 2016 1 8 Mar 18, 2016 07:10PM

• Los desaparecidos: Un cuento de misterio e intriga
  • EL OPERATIVO (David Ribas #1)
  • Sniper's Nest (Detective Jesse McCord #1)
  • Kowloon Bay (Abby Kane FBI Thriller, #6)
  • Smoke and Mirrors (The Division, #1)
  • No More Secrets: Action-packed prequel to the Tom Wilder private investigator and international espionage thriller series. (The Tom Wilder Thriller Series) Kindle Edition
  • Ash (Asher Benson #1)
  • Calculated Sabotage (The Calculated, #3)
  • No Shelter (Holly Lin, #1)
  • Dark Path (Bodhi King #1)
  • The Protocol (James Acton Thrillers, #1)
  • Polar Bear Dawn (Detective Bernadette Callahan Mystery #1)
  • Almost Gone (The Au Pair—Book One)
  • Bad To The Bones (Evan Buckley Thriller, #1)
  • La mensajera roja
  • Green Light (Sam Archer, #7)
  • A New Life (Escape #1)
  • Watching (The Making of Riley Paige #1)
Jack Mars is author of the bestselling LUKE STONE thriller series, which include the suspense thrillers ANY MEANS NECESSARY (book #1), OATH OF OFFICE (book #2) and SITUATION ROOM (book #3).

Luke Stone (7 books)
  • Oath of Office (Luke Stone, #2)
  • Situation Room (Luke Stone #3)
  • Oppose Any Foe (Luke Stone #4)
  • President Elect (Luke Stone #5)
  • Our Sacred Honor (Luke Stone #6)
  • House Divided (Luke Stone #7)