Start by marking “The Way Back to You” as Want to Read:
The Way Back to You

The Way Back to You

In this witty, heart-tugging novel, two teens take a spontaneous road trip across the Southwest to meet three strangers who received the life-saving organs of their late best friend—charting a journey of loss, hope, and love along the way.

Six months ago, Ashlyn Montiel died in a bike accident.

Her best friend Cloudy is keeping it together, at least on the outside. Cloudy’s
Published May 3rd 2016 by Katherine Tegen Books

To ask other readers questions about The Way Back to You, please sign up.
Mindi Scott
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Kate Yes. There is romance along with a few kissing scenes.

Start your review of The Way Back to You
Emma Giordano
2.5 stars.
I've been going back and forth about giving this book 2.5 and 3 stars for about an hour now. While I believe the content is worth 3, despite pushing through, I considered putting this book down multiple times and I never DNF books. I couldn't feel comfortable giving it 3 stars when I was slightly miserable forcing myself to continue reading at some points.

Unfortunately, I was extremely let down by this book. Since I received a copy months ago, I was RAVING about reading it because I

“We can go,” I say to Zoe. “We can go and find them.”

This was a YA road-trip story, about a girl following her dead best friend’s transplanted organs.

The characters in this were okay, but I didn’t really love them. Claudia (cloudy) seemed to miss Ashlyn, but I didn’t really get anything from Kyle.

The storyline in this was about Claudia and Kyle going on a road-trip to
Fafa's Book Corner
Review posted on Fafa's Book Corner !

Beware spoilers ahead!

I had heard about this book through GR. I was hesitant about read it. But when I read the sample I was sold. I am happy to say that I enjoyed it!

The book begins with Ashlyn's mother's note to the organ recipients. We are then taken to the first chapter which is in Cloudy's point of view. It's been four months since Ashlyn died in a bike accident. It's been pretty hard on Cloudy as she was Ashlyn's best friend. Today her school is having
S.M. Parker
Feb 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is fierce. It looks all innocent from the cover, but it is a fierce love story.

Cloudy has lost her best friend. Her best friend was an organ donor. Cloudy goes on a road trip to see the organ recipients, to try to find glimpses of her best friend, a shadow of her vibrancy. Does your heart feel ripped out? Well, mine did. The brave act of organ donation in this book is eclipsed only by the love of those left behind.

This story explores the depths of grief and renewal, sorrow and
Yeah, this is fabulous, no surprise. Loved the way dual POV was used and the way the road trip worked the way an actual road trip works (no geographic shenanigans). I also really liked the small thread from Kyle's POV about faith, or lack thereof--it was a little characterization element that made the story so much richer.

(Disclosure: Mindi is a good friend IRL, but I read her first book before we were friends.)

-------------------

I am so excited for another Mindi Scott book!

(Also, kind of
Aimee ♥ | Aimee, Always
04/19/16
It could be that I just wasn't in the mood when I read this, but I ended up feeling nothing at all. It was a lovely story, though. Full review to come!

10/19/15 - I wrote an open letter to Michelle Andreani, one of the co-authors of The Way Back to You! You can check it out here! :)
Tiff at Mostly YA Lit
Review originally posted on Mostly YA Lit:
The Way Back To You blog tour Banner
Hi everyone, today I'm honoured to be part of the USblog tour for THE WAY BACK TO YOU by Michelle Andreani and Mindi Scott! I've got a review and giveaway for you - check it out, then visit some of the other tour stops for more fun on this cute contemporary!

Review: The Way Back to You
The Way Back to You by Michelle Andreani & Mindi Scott is a book about holding in your feelings. It's about what happens when you don't talk about the things that
Stacee
I requested this on a whim. Normally, this wouldn't be my sort of story: the promise of angst and heartfail {no pun intended} is not my bag, baby.

I liked Cloudy and Kyle. They have a bit of a history and it was interesting to see how they worked through it on top of the situation. The plot was engaging and I absolutely loved the dual POV. There are some great secondary characters as well.

So why only 3 stars? I'm not sure...don't get me wrong, I did enjoy the book, but I wasn't captivated. I
Madison
Heart and humour so aptly describes this book. But it also packs a powerful punch. Have tissues on hand, but also be prepared to smile, giggle and full on belly laugh as Cloudy and Kyle work their way through grief, confusing feelings, and from the mountains, by the sea and on to the desert. All the best books are about road trips, and what an epic one this is, starting with awkward, tense silences, a touch of unrequited love, heartache and a kitten and winding up somewhere near moving forward, ...more
Tee loves Kyle Jacobson
I have to say that I loved this story. It is such a heartwarming story that takes you on a journey of love, life, and friendship.

Cloudy and Kyle have one thing in common and that is Ashlyn. But when they lose her to an accident they are devastated. Cloudy has lost a piece of herself. She no longer has a best friend a sister a person who she can go to with anything. Kyle has totally died inside. He can't keep it together and everyone sees it.

Then Cloudy finds out that Ashlyn's parents donated her
Brittany
I picked this up for two reasons; road trip and it reminded me a bit of Things We Know by Heart(which I LOVE). I'm so glad I did. This book was soooo good. Cloudy and Kyle haven't been able to accept the sudden death of Ashlyn, even a year on they're not sure to how to go on without forgetting her. The Way Back to You touches on romance but really it's a look at how we all deal with grief differently and what it takes to accept that grief is going to be part of the day to day life but you can ...more
Guys, this book has a Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves reference in it.

Having discussed our mutual obsession with this movie as teenagers with the author Mindi Scott (full disclosure: Mindi and I are friends and I read an early draft of this) during the course of this novel's writing, I like to think that I am somewhat responsible for this.

And even if you are not a fan of the early 90s awesomeness that was Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves (What's wrong with you?!) , this book is still well worth your
The Way Back to You is so much more than the story of two friends taking a spontaneous road trip. It’s an emotional journey for Cloudy and Kyle, who are both struggling to get over the loss of someone they loved. The writing in this book is a perfect mixture of humor and poignancy. So many times I was laughing through my tears. I loved the dual POV, plus the supporting cast, especially Matty and Kyle's dad. I can’t wait to read the authors’ next collaboration!
Feb 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was SUPER swoony!! It was heartfelt and emotional and so well done! All the exclamation points for this book. <3 (If I were more tech savvy, I'd insert a gif with heart eyes!!)

It has everything I love in a story - characters with a complicated history, a ROAD TRIP (how I LOVE road trip books!), an adorable animal (SO ADORABLE!), swoon, VEGAS!

I absolutely fell in love with Kyle and Cloudy and Zoe and Matty and Arm. Such fantastic characters. And the dialogue was so great. This is a
Trista
It's been six months since Cloudy's best friend, Ashlyn, died in a bicycle accident. Cloudy's been putting on a brave face for the outside world but inside, she's struggling. Kyle, Ashlyn's boyfriend, is lost and feels like he's falling apart without her. As Ashlyn's boyfriend and best friend, they should be able to lean on each other but after a mistake the year before, they've barely spoken. When Cloudy finds out that Ashlyn's organs had been donated, and her parents have been in touch with a ...more
Tiff at Mostly YA Lit
Cute contemporary with some really good dialogue and a much stronger back half. There are moments of honesty and understanding that made the concept work and the whole thing a worthwhile read, but the uneven writing and a strange disconnect with the characters left me a bit disappointed.

Full review to come.
Kelly Gunderman
Apr 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: edelweiss, arc
Check out this and other reviews on my young adult book blog, Here's to Happy Endings!

I've found myself drawn to contemporary novels lately - I've been reading a lot of them. So with all the buzz surrounding this one, there was obviously no way I was going to pass up on reading it.

The awesome folks over at HarperTeen gave me a copy of this book on Edelweiss, and after spending some time staring at that pretty cover, I finally started reading it, and I found myself surprised by how beautiful of a
Brianna
Sep 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was cute and it made me cry
Gail
Feb 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So a good friend of mine (hi Jamie!) recommended this read to me because she knew the YA novel I'd written involved a road trip (of sorts) and since she works in publishing and has her pulse on what's being published right now in the market I specifically write in, I took her up on her suggestion.

Then weird things started happening.

Weird Thing No. 1: I found out that Michelle and Mindi's agent, Jim McCarthy, would be one of our agents at this year's Midwest Writers Workshop (a conference I'm on
Sierra
Oh, this is the year of YA Contemporary, 2016, I can feel it!

I absolutely adored this book in every way, shape, and form. I might be biased. As regular readers of my blog might have noticed over recent months, I've made mention that I've been sort of dealing with grief for the first time in my life despite having lost several family members over the years, so any book about death and loss is bound to touch me. This was certainly no exception.

And you know what? I want to just leave it at that.
Katie Kennedy
Oct 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
THE WAY BACK TO YOU is a beautifully written book exploring grief and changing relationships as life moves on after tragedy. I don't know how Michelle Andreani and Mindi Scott did it, but the (co-written) work is seamless. My favorite part--and it was hard to choose--is the dialogue. The lines sparkle with wit and humor, and make Cloudy and Kyle characters with whom I'd like to converse long after the book is over.

THE WAY BACK TO YOU looks at romance, friendship, family, and falling apart and
Kirsten M
Jan 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book about love and loss. Cloudy and Kyle are both dealing with the loss of Ashlyn, and when they decide to head out on a road trip, I knew good things were to come. I loved all the description, and how the story played out. I loved the little bits of romance too. This book is hitting stands in May!
Anna
Aug 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A really heartfelt story, with some true emotion behind it. Mostly about moving past the death of someone that means the world to you and the grief/happiness of life without them. There is also a bittersweet romance between the boyfriend and best friend left behind. A cute kitten, a road trip and some soul searching = a great read.
Stephanie Kaye (In Wonderland)
This review was originally posted on In Wonderland My Thoughts

This book was cute. I liked the story, but I didn't love it. It was an all around okay book for me. There's a bit of a slow beginning but the writing is wonderfully crafted. I loved the dual POV between Cloudy and Kyle.

I really loved the whole Organ Donation from Ashlyn. It was an interesting idea and one that hits close to home. One of my husband's cousins died a couple years ago in a car accident and his organs were donated.

What I

kailey &#x1f4ab;
Sep 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this was a very heartwarming and sometimes bittersweet book. i really liked both cloudy and kyle’s characters, although i never quite connected with them in the way i wanted to.

i enjoyed reading it and can’t remember a point where i was bored with it, but i also wasn’t as invested as i probably should’ve been. i did really like the dynamic between the different characters, sometimes things that meant to stir up a certain emotion just fell flat for me.

that said, it was still a solid read and i
Karla Mae (Reads and Thoughts)

*ARC kindly provided by Harper Collins and Katherine Tegen Books thru Edelweiss for review*

Where to start? Where to start? I finished this book at exactly 1:47am and it’s quite hard to gush about it in silence. I wanted to squeal so loud but I can’t because it’s almost 2 in the morning and my parents are asleep next room. Lol.

I have always been in love with road trip stories.So it was actually no surprise that I’m eager to pick this book up. However, The Way Back To You is not just about the
Samantha
Dec 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very special book for two reasons. One: it deals with grief in a way that is both realistic and easy to relate to. Two: I managed to pick this book up at the perfect point in my life. (I finished reading it the day after my younger sister's eighteenth birthday. May 8th was the thirteenth anniversary of her death). I, of course, had a very difficult time reading this novel - but I managed it, and it made me realize a lot of things about myself. The Way Back to You is special, it is ...more
Martalti Moon
Apr 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Originally posted at www.martasbookshelf.blogspot.com

Thank you so much, Harper Collins, for this wonderful ARC.

SPOILER-FREE REVIEW:

The characterisation in this book is flawless. All of the characters bring something to the story: something that makes them unique and believable as individuals.

Cloudy has become one of my literature heroes. She is the most selfless, caring and loyal friend I have ever read about. It was devastating to read about her grieving. I could picture and feel the pain
Once
Jul 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am such a sucker for these realistic stories that begin with heartbreak but then as the story goes on, it starts to become a beacon of happiness and hope. The Way Back To You is a perfect example of that. Even now just thinking about the book as I write this review, my heart fills up with happiness. We need more books like TWBTY in our lives. We live in a world where there is just to much sadness and books like TWBTY, give us hope that life no matter how bad it gets can turn around for the ...more
Kim at Divergent Gryffindor

"What matters is that she found her way back. Just like we're all trying to do."

When I first read the synopsis of The Way Back to You last year, I immediately wanted to read it. I love romances filled with tension, and this seemed like the perfect book! I became wary of reading this book because I saw only so-so ratings from my friends in Goodreads, but I'm so glad that I read it anyway because I really enjoyed it! I used to hate road trip romance novels, but it seems like I've been having a
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The Loose Ends List
  • How It Feels to Fly
  • The Season of You & Me
  • The Truth About Twinkie Pie
Hi! I'm the co-author of THE WAY BACK TO YOU (my debut novel!) with Mindi Scott, out now from Katherine Tegen Books/HarperCollins. Also an occasional scatterbrain, milkshake devotee, and liker of love stories.
“The beauty of being young is that you can change your mind a hundred times and life is still before you with all the options.” 3 likes
“And I grin back at him, while the last rays of sunlight spark along his face.” 2 likes