Start by marking “Perfect Ten” as Want to Read:
Perfect Ten

Perfect Ten

3.35  ·  Rating details ·  530 Ratings  ·  160 Reviews
Who is Sam Raines's Perfect Ten?

It’s been two years since Sam broke up with the only other eligible gay guy in his high school, so to say he’s been going through a romantic drought is the understatement of the decade. But when Meg, his ex-Catholic-turned-Wiccan best friend, suggests performing a love spell, Sam is just desperate enough to try. He crafts a list of ten t
Published June 6th 2017 by Viking Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Perfect Ten, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Perfect Ten

emma
1.25/5

I received an ARC of this book through Penguin First to Read. Thanks!

Okay, so. This book isn’t my thing. When I applied for the copy, I thought it was just a contemporary - look at the cute cover! But alas, there’s a good chunk of magical realism in there. And you all know my relationship with magical realism. (It’s that I hate it.)

But, like, that's not the reason I'm rating it so low. I'm not pathological. It's my own fault for doing the bare minimu
Cait • A Page with a View
Apr 10, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: contemporary-ya
1.5 stars. Aaaah I REALLY wanted to like this, but absolutely couldn't stand the characters. They felt so... fake? Just absolutely unrealistic and unlikable. They all irritated me to no extent and seemed like spoiled, privileged suburban kids - especially the Wiccan friend. And a lot of the story was focused on drinking & sex in a way that seemed like a hollow cliche of what an adult thinks teens want to read. And the main character was super shallow... ok I'll stop now. You get the point.

I
Stacee
With that cover and synopsis, I was expecting fun and fluffy. What I got was drama, shady behavior, and possibly cheating {depending on how you look at things.}

What I loved:

•The friendship between Sam, Landon, and Meg. They're all so loyal to each other. I loved the code words they used and the perfect support system. People should be so lucky to have friends that will tell you you're being an ass while hugging you.

•How open and comfortable Sam was in his sexuality. He's been out for a while an
Joshua Gabriel (조수아)
Apr 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
My ship didn't sail, so this book was bittersweet for me. I really enjoyed it, but The Love Interest is still my favorite queer novel. Tee-hee. I'll publish a complete review once I overcome my book hangover. :3
Dahlia
Lordy that was cute as hell. And what I really liked about it, which is surprising for me considering I kinda hate cheating/love triangle/etc. situations, is how well I think the author handled the whole concept of not being ready as a teen to settle down. It didn't feel like any of that stuff was done for dramatic effect or to make the plot move; it felt like a real depiction of a queer teen finally having options to explore. And I liked that it wasn't utterly predictable, either; that's all I' ...more
Eilonwy
Sam Raines is tired of being single. He dated the one other gay guy at his high school during their first year, but he’s been alone since they broke up, and after two years, he’s ready to find a new boyfriend. But who, and where? His best gal pal Meg, a Wiccan, has a suggestion: Make a list of his top ten traits, then ask the Goddess for help. And what do you know? It works, as Sam meets three potentials in quick order: Confident French exchange student Gus, sweet and artistic sophomore Jamie, a
Grace {Rebel Mommy Book Blog}
May 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
Review
I got nervous when I went to read this because I saw a bunch of not great reviews on Goodreads. I am so glad I still gave it a go because I thought it was cute and a really addicting read.

Sam has been single for two years since breaking up with boyfriend, Landon, the only other eligible gay guy at his school. In a desperate attempt to get out of his dry spell Sam lets his Wiccan best friend Meg perform a love spell to find someone with the ten traits he wants in a boyfriend. When three g
Jen Ryland
A cute story about a guy trying to find love. He gets his best friend to do a love spell for him, in which he makes a Top Ten list of what he wants in a guy. Bam! His wish gets granted and then some. Is he in lust with a cute French foreign exchange student? That hot musician? The shy artist? Or is he still in love with his ex??

Okay, so I was voting against the French foreign exchange student. I love accents of all kinds, but the book had this poor guy speaking like "zis all ze time. " Nails on
Billie
Apr 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The world needs more books like this—a teen romance about a boy looking for a boyfriend that is not a coming-out story or a bullying story or a story where Sam's gayness is any big deal at all, but just a swoony summer read for anyone who's made wrong turns along the road to love.
J.H. Trumble
Jun 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
L Philips's PERFECT TEN is a fun romcom with echoes of David Levithan’s BOY MEETS BOY. A great beach read from this sparkling new voice in YA lit. Buy it. Read it.
Is
Feb 24, 2017 rated it it was ok

Warning: I’m going to get very ranty, and ragey, and spoilery!

(view spoiler)
Rhianna
Jun 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Is his Perfect Ten a unicorn?

A cute blend of magical realism, young adult rom-com, and a look at the challenges of teenage relationships when they get complicated by expectations, PERFECT TEN, is really good.

I struggled a little with the characters in this book and it took me most of it to figure out why. They frustrated me because they were so well developed and thus, realistically flawed! Sometimes I just really wanted to give Sam a good shake and tell him to... well, I don't want to spoil an
Ashley
*I received this book for review from Penguin First to Read. In know way shape or form does that influence my opinion.

This book is interesting in the sense that Sam, the main character makes a list of the ten things he is looking for in a boyfriend and his best friend Meg, who is a Wiccan performs a spell so that Sam will meet his "perfect 10." After the spell, things get complicated in the most interesting way. Because I am not a member of the LGBTQIA+ community and I'm not sure about the rep,
Kurestin
So cute and so fun! The story never judges Sam for wanting to be young and explore his options but he still has a very satisfying journey to figuring out what he wants and how to be ready for it. And of course, all his options are so lovable! It's a rom-com, so don't expect hyperrealism here, but if you want a feel good search for Mr. Right then this is right on target.
Erin
Jun 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2017, ya-read
3.5 Stars - not gonna lie, when I started reading this I was sure I was going to hate it. But I soldiered on and I'm so glad I did! All of the things I disliked about Sam and his list in the beginning were totally addressed as his character evolved throughout the novel. Did some of this feel a bit cliched and contrived? Sure. But there were so many important topics discussed AND discussed in a manner that was thought provoking and authentic that I didn't mind one bit! Definitely a happy and welc ...more
Alana
Jun 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017-reads, jri, rainbow
Okay, this book is not perfect. It's 4.5 stars round up for people acting like people--cheating, skirting the line of cheating, being b*llshit about being casual, even slut shaming. These kids have a ton of issues, but they're the issues we all have, and they all come out the other end having learned lessons without slamming them home. Which I appreciate.
Kira
May 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: giveaways
A Penguin First to Read ARC e-book in exchange for an honest review.

Cover love!

The cover got my attention and the synopsis made me think it would be a cute quick read.

I liked the witty banter that the narrator had with the reader, and there were a few scenes that seemed genuine and caught my attention. Overall though, the characters were just whiny dramatic kids. The initial romance was too quick to start and too quick to fizzle out.

Maybe I just don’t remember what it was like to be a teenager
Jenn
Jun 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I won an advance copy of Perfect Ten through the Goodreads Giveaway with the hope of a review - so here is mine:

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I read quite a lot of YA, and I think it is easy to forget how an actual 17 year old acts and thinks. Many characters are presented as immature or older than their years. Characters are rarely allowed to just be - and Sam definitely delivers! Sam has a clear voice and the story is presented through his point of view.

Sam knows he wants love and he's will
Cambear
May 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Zippy little romance about a guy's search for the perfect guy.

This is a fluffy read and some fun moments, but I didn't like the main character's contradictions, particularly as they relate towards his best female friend. He shames her into not smoking, but gets high all the time. He shames her into not losing her virginity though he did it 2 years ago. She's there to help him, but it's not reciprocated. Also, he complains how his first boyfriend was jealous and he's basically two-timing all the
Maha
May 28, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: put-aside
a digital ARC was provided to me by the publisher through netgalley.

DNF.

i honestly don't know what the heck did i just read. all these characters felt flat and too spoiled and stereotypical. plus i already know where the story is going (i mean, it's a love...SQUARE?). this book is just too much drama and i couldn't stand it.
jennyx
Nov 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Jamie was the cutest 😭 that’s all I have to say.
Alexis
Jul 15, 2017 rated it it was ok
2.5/5 stars. This was an okay read. I loved the ending and I really liked the Wicca aspect ( mostly because I've always been interesting in that kinda stuff). That being said the main character Sam frustrated me to no end. He was whiny and kind of a jerk. I don't think there was anything that really stood out to me in this book. Overall it was all just kind of meh for me.
Jeninne
Sep 10, 2017 rated it did not like it
You guys, you guy, you don't understand how upset I am. You don't understand how sad I am. If I weren't so sad, I'd be mad. But I'm just so sad. This book was on my most anticipated list of the year. This book promised to be sweet and endearing, funny and poignant, and just downright good.

Guys, guy, this book isn't good.

I mean, this book is just a mess.

And the first and biggest glaring issue with this book, is the main character. Sam comes off as this hipster, arrogant, douchey little prick who
John Finck
Jun 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a great read this book was. I found Sam Raines and his friends to be that rarest of things in a YA novel: real. They are in turns funny, infuriating, charming, alarming, and pretty much everything you hope to find in good characters. Laura Philips skips the usual tropes when it comes to writing about a young, gay boy, trying to juggle friends, romance, and his future. When the story begins, you think, "okay, this is going to be a magic realism kind of thing". I don't want to give too much a ...more
ricardo
Oct 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
Okay, so I love me gay shit but to this shit just didn't do it for me. There are a few problems I had with this book so let me dive into this motherfucka real quick but y'all should know I'm bout to spoil this dumbass book

1) Sam is hella fucking annoying(?) I hate him from the start. No matter at what point in the book you start reading, he will be bitching 'bout anything and everything.

2) SAM IS FUCKING ANNOYING (lol). He can't seem to understand his relationships yet he feels the need to tell
Luna
Jul 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is adorably cute. It is the story of a one guy’s search for his perfect unicorn (i.e. Perfect Ten) – hence the guy with the unicorn head on the cover. So if you want a book that’s sweet, fluffy with a dash of magic then this is the story for you.

Perfect Ten isn’t perfect as a book, the characters are could be more rounded and stereotyping does happen but there was so much I enjoyed about the story and so much this book did well that I didn’t mind. For one thing Sam’s unicorn search end
Sara Codair
May 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I got an electronic ARC of “Perfect 10” through First to Read. The cover caught my eye and the promise of a hint of magic. Initially, the voice didn’t pull me in. Something about seemed flat, though I can’t quite pin point what it was. I’m not sure where, exactly, but somewhere along the line, that changed. I had to finish the book before I went to sleep.

The romantic and sexual tension, the teenage drama, and the strong friendships made this book magical more so than the hint of actual magic. T
James Johnson
Women writing male GBT novels can work, but it doesn’t every time and it sure as heck doesn’t here. Boys coming to terms with their sexuality are not what this author thinks they are. We don’t go on perfect dates and have intense romantic moments that we can talk about with just about anyone within earshot. We mostly walk the path alone. We fight against our programming and the weight of expectations. We scramble for a foothold when our lives are being flipped upside down. We make crappy stupid ...more
Tiffany Robinson
May 04, 2017 rated it did not like it
I was super excited about this book when I first heard about it and I could not wait to read it. I also really love the cover, I think it is really cute. With that being said the story left a lot to be desired. All the characters were annoying and seemed very shallow. Then the romance part of it was dull too. All the guys that Sam was with I felt like I ever really got to know any of them and I could care less who he ended up with at the end. I was very disappointed in this book.
Alicia
May 29, 2017 rated it did not like it
Everything about the characters and plot was uninspiring and downright annoying. And it's a bloated 350-pages of that with it's only redeeming quality at an attempt to diversify the voices in YA lit (but I don't want these kind of voices on our shelves) with practicing Wiccans and GLBTQ characters.

Just no. Once I lost it (pretty quickly) I read the last chapter and was glad I didn't waste my time.
The pen name for Laura Wettersten who lives in Ohio with her wonderful husband, their adorable baby son, and their two neurotic dogs. She has degrees in both music education and library science, and when she’s not writing or teaching she enjoys directing middle school musicals, dancing awkwardly around her kitchen, and watching WIPEOUT and 30 ROCK reruns. Her debut novel, MY FAIRE LADY, releases f ...more