Start by marking “Visions of Zarua” as Want to Read:
Visions of Zarua

Visions of Zarua

An ancient darkness haunts the realm of Paltria.
Apprentice wizard Paddren is plagued by visions of a city on the brink of annihilation. When his master Kalesh dies in mysterious circumstances, the Royal Order of Wizards refuses to investigate.
Helped by his childhood friend, the skilled tracker Varnia, and her lover Leyoch, Paddren vows to find the killer.
The investigation
Published December 14th 2015 by createspace

To ask other readers questions about Visions of Zarua, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Visions of Zarua

Sissy Lu {Book Savvy Reviews}
Apr 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fantasy lovers, mystery geeks

Book Savvy Review

First, let me begin by saying - CONGRATULATIONS female writers, for showing the boys that Fantasy writers aren't just males and women can write well-formed fantasy novels, too. So thank you, Suzanne Rogerson, for being part of this.

Paddren is an apprentice wizard to Kalesh and when tragedy befalls him the Royal Order of Wizards turn a blind eye to the dead wizard. It's up to Paddren and his friends to figure out what is going on. Varnia is an orphan who became a skilled huntress and tracker, sh
Elaine
What a great mix of fantasy, magic and mystery this proved to be! The talented author has built a unique version of a medieval style world where there are barons, Kings, wizards, magic and monsters. You can never be certain just who you can trust, especially if you are Paddren, Varnia or Leyoch. Together these three will need to work together to save their land being taken over by evil wizards and will have unexpected assistance from Paddren's visions if only he can learn to interpret them accur ...more
K.S. Marsden
Paddren's visions might be the key to stopping a dark wizard taking over Paltria. No matter what course he chooses, it will be a dark and dangerous path.

I received a free copy in exchange for an honest review.

This story follows two wizards that are separated by 350 years, but are trying to uncover the source of the same dark magic.
Jago is a young man who was close with his brother, before he set out to travel the world and see all it had to offer. He returns to Paltria to find his brother has be
Rebecca Howie
Jun 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would never have imagined that of all the genre crossovers that have been done, fantasy and mystery would be two that would work well together- but in Visions of Zarua, they did extremely well, and I think Suzanne Rogerson's writing, the characters, and the world in which the story was set all played a part in making that happen.
Jo
Nov 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-books
Visions of Zarua is set in the magical world of Paltria, where there are Wizards, mythical creatures and enemies around every corner. This is a dark fantasy novel, that I loved from the very first page. It has to be said that fantasy novels are not my usual genre, but I was surprised by just how much this book spoke to me. Even though it is set in the mythical world of Paltria, and the ancient and abandoned city of Zarua, the book echoed the emotions of everyday, normal life. This is why I conne ...more
Mirjana Inalman
I was given a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Reading “Visions of Zarua”, by Suzanne Rogerson, was a refreshing reading experience for me and it is incredibly hard to write a review and not squeak out all the spoilers that made this book a highly recommendable read to all fantasy lovers from me.
The book, with the vibe and style of writing, reminded me of my favorite writers, like Robert Jordan and Zelazny. What I most enjoyed about this book is definitely that atmosphere. The
Susan Hampson
Dec 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: author-reads
How I love the fantasy genre that always makes me think back to childhood and reading fairy tales. It is where anything and everything is possible a place of wizards and witches. This is Suzanne Rogerson’s debut novel and oh my does she deliver the goods. Set back in medieval times the story is shrouded in mystery, spells and  deadly mystical creatures. When a powerful wizard Kalesh dies his apprentice Paddren and his two friends Varnia and Leyoch set out on a quest to discover the truth and wha ...more
Aisling O'Rourke
Oct 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
----Spoiler Free----

Visions of Zarua is a standalone epic fantasy by Suzanne Rogerson. This book was kindly sent to me by the author in exchange for an honest review. It is a story filled with magic, wizards and a race against time to stop an evil wizard in his 350 year long quest to seize control of the wizarding world. The death of Paddren’s mentor sparks concern that old tensions are beginning to resurface.

I liked how the author told this story through the use of the present and past tense. P
Jéssica
Nov 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviews
This is the first book I'm reading of Suzanne and it was a good introduction to her work because I saw her writing style and got to know a 'new-to-me' author. I was captivated about this book as soon as I saw the cover, it had that vibe that said this would be an intriguing, epic, spooky, mysterious novel. And that's what I got.

This book had a great concept since it's told from two different time periods, 350 years apart. And that's different and I wasn't confused about that because it was like
Jessica Bronder
Nov 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Paddron is the apprentice to the wizard Kalesh. When Kalesh dies Paddron wants the Royal Order of Wizards in investigate but they ignore him. Paddron and his friends then take it upon themselves to find out what happened. During this time Paddron is suffering from visons that are disturbing until he realizes they are events from the wizard Jago. Jago lived 350 year in the past and it looks like he has the key to the city of Zarua and can help stop the coming evil.

I loved this story. It has the f
Jessica Belmont
Nov 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved everything about Visions of Zarua! From the flawed, relatable characters to the intricately planned out world of Paltria, and the ancient abandoned city of Zarua…this book had everything I want to see in a fantasy novel.

Suzanne Rogerson has crafted a novel with a mix of fantasy, mystery, and magic. The story is told from two timelines, 350 years apart. There wasn’t any point in the story where I felt confused. I knew where we were in the story the entire time, and I couldn’t put it down.
Sarina Langer
I'm sad to say this didn't work for me. I really wanted to enjoy it since I'd only heard good things, but I just didn't look forward to reading more.

I liked the world-building, but I was disappointed that no map was included, especially because several important maps were mentioned in the book.

I also liked the chapters written in the past because unlike the chapters in the present, they actually moved the plot along and were paced well. However, the chapters in the present outnumbered the ones i
Cristal
Dec 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this. It’s an intriguing mix of fantasy and mystery. The sections set in the past were especially vivid, but I also wanted to find out what was happening in the present, because I liked the characters. The tense battle between the wizards, set in the dangerous ruined city, drew both stories together in a satisfying, exciting finale.

I’ll be reading more of this author’s books.
Thehappymeerkat
Jan 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, favorites
I received a free digital copy of this book from the author in return for a review. The following is my honest opinion on this book:

This is a dark and thrilling fantasy book that really keeps you gripped from beginning to end. Set in the world of Paltria, where there is magic, wizards and dark creatures, Paddren and his friends begin their journey by trying to save his master Kalesh. But when Kalesh is found dead they must find out why and their search reveals the dark and sinister past haunting
R.M.
Dec 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Visions of Zarua is another one of those Fantasy books that can please any reader, even those that are not familiar with the genre. The author withholds essential information as the plot progresses placing the reader at the same level of knowledge of the main characters. This results in a great deal of suspense throughout the narrative. Rogerson had reached the perfect balance with this, leaving the reader with enough information about the world and its mechanics. I didn’t feel confused at any p ...more
Jun 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every fantasy lover should be reading this book! Paddren, Varnia, and Leyoch have been friends since childhood. Paddren has been training to be a wizard under the tutelage of Kalesh. Varnia is the huntmistress for Baron Harkai, having been trained by Reaun, who took her in after her parents’ death. Leyoch is an assistant to Paddren and Kalesh, and madly in love with Varnia. But the day the Nagra appears will change everything….

Suddenly Kalesh is dead and Paddren is appointed to replace him as th
Anita Dawes
Jul 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Visions of Zarua, a magical story of wizards and sorcery set in two ancient worlds. Zarua, 350 years in the past, and Paltria, the land the heroes in this book inhabit. A land that grows ever darker as the despair of war takes hold.
Paddren, a young apprentice wizard, is not yet powerful enough to save his people from the peril he knows will come from the disturbing visions that plague him.
When unseen forces kill his master, Paddren searches desperately for anything that could help, and his visio
Rosie Amber
Jun 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Visions of Zarua is a fantasy tale in a medieval style setting with wizards and a quest to end a war which began 350 years ago. In the land of Paltria a wizard called Paddren has been having visions. His master, Kalesh has been encouraging him to fully describe all that he can remember, but before he can reveal his secrets Kalesh is murdered by a dark presence.

Paddren is left to solve the mystery. Together with friends Varnia, a witch with latent magical skills and Leyoch, they must seek out the
Karen
Dec 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book introduces you to Paddren, a wizard in Paltria, and to Jago, a wizard in Zarua - 350 years ago.

With Visions of Zarua, Suzanne Rogerson has created a quite intriguing fantasy story. It is a compelling read, combining the well-known 'good vs evil', reluctant hero, and unusual twists. The reader is drawn into the worlds of Paddren and Jago, feeling the sinister forces first-hand - as invisible ally. Suzanne Rogerson paints a crystal clear picture of Paddren’s mind while the story evolves.
Dec 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was given a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Fantasy books are not my normal reading material. The few that I have read have for the most part disappointed me, but I was pleasantly surprised how much I enjoyed this one. It was well written with great characters that developed throughout the story. If you love fantasy you will love this one and if you are not normally into fantasy please give this one a try.
Claire
This review originally appeared on BrizzleLass Books.

Visions of Zarua introduces us to Paddren, a wizard who is thrown into the centre of a sinister plot to overthrow the world as they know it by a sect of assassin mages. With his closest friends Varnia and Leyoch he sets out to uncover the evil threatening their way of life and how the visions he has had since he was a young boy can help.

Paddren was a wonderful character, beautifully written to show he was a potentially powerful mage on the cus
Kim Shelley
Nov 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow! Wow! Wow! What can I say?! This is an epic standalone fantasy. The world building Suzanne did for this book is incredible! Makes me want to visit! Go and get my wellies on and who is coming with me?I was drawn to this book by the cover, it gives nothing away apart from there's a bit of a spooky, edgy, death like person/creature/thing/being. Once I read the blurb that was it, I was hooked and had to read the whole book. Boy did it not disappoint. The writing style was flawless and just goes ...more
Barb Taub
Jul 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not only do I enjoy tropes, but I especially like it when people play with them. Joss Whedon is a master of this one. (Need to kill the evil undead? Use a blonde teenager.) Or take Suzanne Rogerson’s refreshing version of the sword & sorcery genre in her Visions of Zarua.

On one level, this is a standard hero quest. But just wait for those twists! The first comes when you realize there are actually two reluctant heroes, Paddren and Jago, separated by centuries but bound by a common enemy. Ano
Scott Sammons
Nothing great or horrible, just ok.

This book did nothing for me. No major issues or errors, just no characters or segments that really caught my interest.
Iri
Apr 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rc, great-fantasy
Paddren is a young wizard. He should be just a normal apprentice like any other of his distant colleagues in whole Paltria but he seems to be special in some kind. His diference is chained with his mind – sometimes is overhelmed by strange frightening visions and this affliction makes him suffer. Paddren doesnt know what these visions mean, he just must live with them. One day in his homeland in Herristone, is this young wizard going to buy some nice herbs for his master Kalesh. It seemed to be ...more
Faith Rivens
Jun 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-of-2016
Told through four unique perspectives, Visions of Zarua is an epic fantasy that follows three friends as they struggle to fight demons of the past threatening their homeland of Paltria. Moving between the past and present, the narrative unfolds at a brisk speed, never losing momentum, introducing an intricate world full of magic, intrigue and danger.

In Suzanne's deft hands, the premise transcends the normal stereotypes of fantasy. Her characters are flawed human beings whose sense of duty does n
Angela (Pooled Ink Reviews)
pooled ink Reviews:
3.75 Stars

Visions of Zarua casts a shadow of excitement giving the fantasy genre a nice little jolt. Teeming with suspicion, lies, murder, and lurking darkness this book continues to twist building itself into a fierce storm that absorbs time and thrills its readers as the characters embark on a ruthless hunt for truth and sorcery.

A lot is packed into one book but the story is easy to follow, which I greatly attribute to the author’s display of skill and good writing. Fantas
skate trasher45
Oct 27, 2017
Chad Malone
May 22, 2017
Galateea
Feb 15, 2016
Angela B. Chrysler: 50% off at Smashwords throughout July 1 2 Jul 01, 2016 07:53AM
GOOD REVIEWS: Standalone fantasy in need of reviews 9 34 Apr 03, 2016 01:51AM

• The Fourteen Day Soul Detox, Volume Four
  • The Odyssey of Gilthanas (Dragonlance Reader's Companion)
  • End of the Roadie (A Mystery for D.I. Costello #3)
  • Sophie's Encore (Rock Star Romance, #3)
  • The Magic Three of Solatia
  • Protecting Palanthas (Dragonlance: Champions, #4)
  • Bad Blood (Tales of the Notorious Hudson Family #5)
  • The Forest King (Dragonlance: The Anvil of Time, #4)
  • A Playful Life: Think, Move, & Eat Your Way to More Fun
  • Connected Underneath
  • The Magical Year
  • A Dog's View of Love, Life, and Death
  • Lady in Red
  • The Alien Sea (Dragonlance: Champions, #2)
Suzanne lives in Middlesex with her hugely encouraging husband and two children.

She wrote her first novel at the age of twelve. She discovered the fantasy genre in her late teens and has never looked back. Giving up work to raise a family gave her the impetus to take her attempts at novel writing beyond the first draft, and she is lucky enough to have a husband who supports her dream - even if he