Start by marking “A Piece of Blue String” as Want to Read:
A Piece of Blue String

A Piece of Blue String

(Playing with Matches #0.5)

A companion short story to Playing with Matches. Katharina Ackermann's diary entries marking the turn of WW2, and her heart for the boy heading for battle.
ebook
Published April 25th 2013 by La Plume Press

To ask other readers questions about A Piece of Blue String, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Piece of Blue String

Start your review of A Piece of Blue String
Shirley Revill
I really enjoy reading short stories as it gives me a chance to see how the author writes before I read another book. This short story is free on Kobo at the moment and is a companion story for the book Playing with matches.

The story is in the form of a diary and is from a very different perspective of teenagers growing up in Germany. The group of friends listen to a hidden radio and the BBC'S broadcasts and realise that they are not being told the truth about what is really happening. In fact t
Mara
Sep 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a short story/novella told as diary entries from the perspective of a 12 year old girl living in Passau, Germany during the Nazi regime (1941-1944). I got it as a freebie and it's a companion to Playing with Matches (Playing with Matches #1).

Katharina, her brother, and two of his friends secretly listen to the BBC radio broadcasts on a shortwave radio. Those broadcast say very different things than the German radio broadcasts, so they try to tell the truth to others about the war withou
Linda
Nov 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Passau, Germany. The year is 1941, and twelve year old Kathraina is sent to town with a coin to buy anything of use, but the shelves are empty an her stomach is growling from hunger. She returns to the farm to her mom and brother who are in the fields. The Nazi were waging war against the world to become the leader and all they heard on the radio was how they won every war............

Lee Strauss pens a heart wrenching story about children determined to get the truth out in their town from the BB
Amelia
A simple, but well written "diary" of a German girl, spanning five or so years of her life during the Nazi regime. Her entries are not very frequent or detailed, this being a novella, but they are enough to provide a fairly broad insight into her life. They cover everything from shortages and day-to-day struggles on the home front, to small-scale underground resistance (by herself and her friends) to puberty and falling in love. A quick freebie read and one that has left me interested in the res ...more
Jean Blankenship
Sep 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short story from Katharina Ackermann ' diary. World War 2 story. Very good and you will want to read the next book to find out what happened. The characters are very likable. The people must live under Nazi rule or will be known as a traitor.
Charlene
Jul 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
loved this short preview story! I cannot wait for the following book! very interesting story and complex characters
Joanne Jenkins
nice little short story of a not so nice time. A great quick read that gives you great insight to the time period and what it meant for everyone.
S. Daisy
This is a short YA historical fiction, coming-of-age story taking place in Germany during World War Two. The story is in the form of journal entries by a young teenaged German girl named Katharina Ackermann, from 1941 to 1944.

Katharina was just a normal, average German girl in a normal, average German family. But when she finds out that her younger brother Johann has been listening to the verboten BBC station on his radio and not only became convinced that Germany was in the wrong but was sprea
Sep 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a sweet short story in the form of a diary where our main character Katharina is introduced to how things are really going on with the war against the allies; she and her friends are determined to let the truth be known by listening to illegal BBC transmissions and transcribing them into fliers that they distribute later.

Her entries are not too frequent but they do show us glimpses of how Katharina’s home is struggling to stay afloat.

It did leave me intrigued to read Playing with Match
Shirley
Apr 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Friends

Four young people during the war working in resistance. Then the boys are sent letters to join the German troops leaving Katherine and her mother alone to run the farm. Emil returns home with pneumonia and as he recovers Katherine and Emil realize they love each other. Than Emil returns to war. Nice short story I am looking forward to reading the book Playing with Matches.
Rita
Jan 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An engaging and wonderful short story about a young man and woman during WW2. Life is hard and love is harder. Do you tell him how you feel or wait to make sure he comes back home from the war. A generous story showing that living through a war, any war, is extremely hard for all concerned. Reading this book brings tears to my eyes as if living through it with them. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and highly recommend it.
Leslie Hayden
Dec 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-books
Good start on historical novel

This was a good start to a historical novel. I think Strauss should continue on with the story and make it into a novel because I would sure love to continue reading. Now I'm going to have to go look at their other books and see what I can get my hands on. Glad I took a chance on a new author it was well worth it.
Adrian
Jun 20, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short, interesting companion to Lee Strauss' 'Playing With Matches', the diary of Katherine, one of the characters in the longer novel. Refreshing to read that not all Germans were in agreement with Hitler and the Nazi Party.
Alejandra Novo
Short diary of a girl during WW2. Made me interested in reading the follow-up novel Playing with Matches.

Short read.
Carol Hampton
A good read, but abrupt ending

A good read but abrupt ending, leaving the reader hanging. Does Emile survive the war?. I would recommended it. Good
Tricia Toney
This is a novella set in WW2 and tells the story of a young German girl. She and her friends take part in the resistance and deal with shortages and bombings. In all a good introduction.
Madi ~☆TheBookNerdDiaries☆~
This was a nice little story set during WWII. The author was very descriptive in her writing and I got so absorbed in the world that she created!

Blog | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
CassandraG
Dec 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Interesting story from the diary of Katharina Ackermann and a look into her world just before World War Two. You like the characters and how the story flowed and it felt believable and it was really good. A bit on the serious side but given the subject manner, quite understandable. Be warned, it’s only a little nugget, and it kind of ends on an interesting note, that’ll leave you wanting a little bit more. So if you get a chance check it out and enjoy.
Ross Safford
Aug 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read this book!

Actually, this is a short story, but it is definitely worth reading. I felt disappointed when the story ended, because I wanted to know more about what happened to the characters in this story. I guess I'll have to purchase more from Strauss & Strauss.
Emmanuelle
This was a fun little short story. It does intrigue me to read Playing with Matches someday, but not immediately. Having read the description for Playing with Matches, it seems like the storyline progression will be repetitive, albeit going into more details.
Hunter Murphy
Jan 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good book

It is a good book because if you want to read about world war 2 then this is the book for you.
Jenna
Mar 26, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short story with snippets from Katharina Ackermann's diary.
Dayana
Izaac Coubrough
Dec 12, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Don't You Know Me?
  • War Girl Ursula (War Girls #1)
  • A Fine Woman
  • The Other Girl (The Winter Guest, #1.5)
  • Children to a Degree: Growing Up Under the Third Reich: Book 1
  • Telegram For Mrs. Mooney (Tommy Mooney Mystery #1)
  • Mendelevski's Box: A heartwarming and heartbreaking Jewish survivor's journey
  • Searching for Schindler: A Memoir
  • The House at Mermaid's Cove
  • Metropolis
  • My Family's Survival: The true story of how the Shwartz family escaped the Nazis and survived the Holocaust
  • When Eagles Burn (Maddox #1)
  • Illustrated Would You Rather? (Silly Kids and Family Scenarios 1)
  • The Girl I Left Behind
  • Spitfire Pilot: A Personal Account of the Battle of Britain
  • The Nazi Spy (Nazi Spy, #1)
  • In the Hell of Auschwitz: The Wartime Memoirs of Judith Sternberg Newman
For fans of Golden Age who-dun-its ~ from a USA TODAY Bestselling author!

You'll adore Lady Gold from the acclaimed Ginger Gold Mysteries series, and the spin of series, Higgins & Hawke.

Look for the connected 1950s era ROSA REED MYSTERIES!

Sign up for Lee's newsletter and get EXCLUSIVE access to Ginger Gold's Journal AND a Rosa Reed prequel short story!

Playing with Matches (1 books)
  • Playing with Matches (Playing with Matches #1)