Start by marking “Lassoing the Sun: A Year in America's National Parks” as Want to Read:
Lassoing the Sun: A Year in America's National Parks

Lassoing the Sun: A Year in America's National Parks

"In this remarkable journey, Mark Woods captures the essence of our National Parks: their serenity and majesty, complexity and vitality--and their power to heal." --Ken Burns

Many childhood summers, Mark Woods piled into a station wagon with his parents and two sisters and headed to America's national parks. Mark’s most vivid childhood memories are set against a backdrop of
Published June 14th 2016 by Thomas Dunne Books

To ask other readers questions about Lassoing the Sun, please sign up.
Mark Woods Karissa, thanks for the question. Sorry it took me so long to answer. (Just saw it.) I guess I'd say that when I began working on the book, I…moreKarissa, thanks for the question. Sorry it took me so long to answer. (Just saw it.) I guess I'd say that when I began working on the book, I envisioned something that was a journalistic endeavor (and fairly traditional non-fiction). But the year (and book) turned into something that is much more personal -- using the national parks to deal with losing my mom, thinking about the future of the parks in ways that involve contemplating life and death, and my own past and future. My parents (and many other parents of their generation) passed along a love of the national parks. Am I doing the same with my daughter? It's sort of my version of a mid-life crisis -- no sports car involved, just a lot of outdoor gear.(less)
Ranger Confidential by Andrea LankfordLassoing the Sun by Mark   WoodsBear in the Back Seat I by Carolyn JourdanHigh Country by Nevada BarrDestroyer Angel by Nevada Barr
Oh, Ranger!
74 books — 15 voters
The Year of Living Biblically by A.J. JacobsThe Happiness Project by Gretchen RubinAnimal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara KingsolverEat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth GilbertJulie and Julia by Julie Powell
A Year in the Life
226 books — 286 voters

More lists with this book...

Lauren
May 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book via Goodreads giveaway. I really enjoyed reading this book. I was originally interested in winning this book because I wanted to read about some of the National Parks, this year being the Centennial. But after just the Prologue, I was hooked at reading about how healing nature can be for so many. It was a wonderful read about a mans journey through some of our nations greatest parks while navigating the road of losing a parent.
Roxanne
Apr 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a Goodreads win review. This is one of the best books I have read in a long time. When Mark was a child he and his parents and sisters set out to go to the National Parks. He had very fond memories of those times. When he turned 50 and was burned out on his hectic life he decided to take his mother and daughter to a park not yet seen. But then his mother got cancer and the focus of the book changed. I just loved it.
Tessa Duvall
Jun 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Mark is a colleague of mine at The Florida Times-Union. I have always enjoyed his thoughtful columns, and when I heard he had a book coming out, I was eager to grab a copy to show support. Because the book is about the National Parks, I wasn't sure at first how much I would get out of it since I'm not particularly an outdoorsy person. However, my concerns were misplaced. "Lassoing the Sun" is so much more than a book about parks; Mark does a beautiful job weaving in tales about his family, the e ...more
Beth
May 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio
Some people might think this is gimmicky (twelve national parks in twelve months, then write a book about it!), and others might find it dramatic (this wasn't the get-outdoors book the author expected; instead, it became a coping-with-losing-a-parent-to-cancer book) (I seem to read a lot of those books lately??). Still -- I found myself really enjoying this memoir.

I loved the feeling of bittersweet nostalgia that permeated the book. I found a lot of his grief relatable, and loved that he found h
Samantha Kurtz
Jun 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Lassoing the Sun follows journalist Mark Woods and his love of national parks. As a kid his parents would take him and his siblings to national parks. On the eve of his fiftieth birthday he decides to take a yearlong trip through national parks, one a month, inviting his mom and family to some of the stops. A few months into the year Woods finds out his mother has been diagnosed with cancer and only has months to live. Ultimately, it’s a story of love, loss and how nature can help heal people. T ...more
Mike
May 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I was expecting a travelogue; I got a riveting adventure story. I was expecting the straightforward, rather dry prose of a newspaperman; I got the deft touch of a novelist. Five-star reviews are reserved for classics in a genre, and Woods has created a classic (though to pigeonhole Lassoing the Sun into a genre would be a disservice).
This book is a tear-jerker, a life lesson, an entertaining read and, perhaps most important, a kick in the rear to us all to get outdoors and enjoy all that nature
Annette
May 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I've been lucky enough to read Mark Wood's columns in the Florida Times Union for years. His sabbatical intrigued me and I followed his columns along with the parallel story of his Mom's illness and death.

After attending his post year, Black Creek Outfitters talk, (and no, Mark, we came for the talk first, beer second,) my son and I were excited to hear a book was in the works.

I enjoyed Lassoing the Sun for many reasons. I love being outdoors and try to spend some time outside every day. I also
Christine
I started this book with the impression that it was about National Parks. Well, it is, but it definitely IS A memoir first. Once I realized (and accepted) that I found myself enjoying it more. I love NP, and I appreciated Mark's journey. Solid 4 stars.
Kelly K
May 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
4.5 stars.

This was such an interesting read. As someone who has been to over 40 NPS sites, none of which were in this book, I was excited to read about someones experience within the park system. Woods spoke of the struggles he was facing in his personal life as well as the encounters with the people he came across on his travels. Besides visiting all 50 states before I turn 50 years old, one of my main goals in life is to visit as many NPS sites as possible. This book reminded me that if you se
Susan Morris
Jan 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very interesting read. In 2012, author travels to sites throughout National Park Service to reflect on future of park system. But his year changes dramatically when his mother is diagnosed with cancer & given only months to live. I'm not a fan of camping, but I do want to travel to many of these national park sites - and I do want to show them to Jake. (Own)
Susan Walker
Jun 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. The intermingled story of the Author's visits to many National Parks and the death of his Mother was very moving. Once you start this book you will have a hard time putting it down.
Tina
Jan 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018, audio-book, travel
I enjoyed reading about the parks the author visited, most of all because I've visited many of them myself. I think was bittersweet to read about his mother's death and hopes unfulfilled, though.
Don
Sep 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The book tells about a man’s journey to the National Parks, he decided at age 50, feeling a little burned out he would spend a year visiting the national parks, many of which he had visited as a youth with his parents. But those visits took on a new meaning as his mother was diagnosed with cancer and was dying during his trip. He visited the famous, awe inspiring parks of Yosemite, Yellowstone, Acadia, and the Grand Canyon. But, he also visited the “least of the National Parks” such as Gateway N ...more
John Findlay
Mar 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book resonated with me for several reasons. Mark Woods spoke at our Newcomers Club luncheon on Amelia Island, and provided some stories and background. My family and I had just visited Zion and Bryce Canyon National Parks for a hiking trip. And my sister died last year of bile duct cancer, just as Mark's mother did in the book. If you are a lover of the National Parks, you will love this book. If you haven't visited the parks, this book may inspire you to visit a few of them. At a minimum, ...more
Laura Hoffman Brauman
Oct 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Visits to National Parks with his family were a treasured memory for Mark Woods. At the age of 50, he decided to spend the year visiting a different National Park or site every month. Wrapped into this was his mother's diagnosis of cancer and how his current trips brought back so many memories of his time with his parents. As the parent of a 10 year old, he was also looking at this as a time of making memories with his daughter as well. This is really a love letter to natural spaces and the valu ...more
Kyle
Jun 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Such a great book! I've already had a desire to travel to the national parks, but this made it even stronger and gave me great ideas. Mark is a gifted writer and storyteller. The fact that he's a local writer is even cooler.
Megan
Jun 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
I feel like I connected with this book and it made me feel as if I was in those parks. I learned a lot about parks that I didn’t know or would appreciate having never been there. I just wish this book has a little more focus on the parks than his personal life.
Carla
Aug 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
An excellent book. The only reason I didn't go five stars is because I save that for the books I instantly know I'll read again and again. This one, however, certainly could merit repeat reads.
John Lamb
Aug 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book made me excited to get out there and see some National Parks.
Diana
Sep 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Many of our family vacations growing up were to national parks and sights, often camping at them (Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, Tetons, Mesa Verde) and I have such fond memories of those trips. This was a delightful read about the author's year of visiting a different park each month, while also dealing with some heavy family issues. Definitely worth a read if you have an interest in the National Park system or even just traveling in general.
Sheila Myers
Jun 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
After reading this there are so many places I need to go and see!
Jenny GB
Apr 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaway
I received a copy of this book through Goodreads Giveaways.

In Lassoing the Sun, Mark Woods entwines the story of his mother's sickness and death with the story of his yearlong sabbatical to visit national parks and write about where they will be in the next one hundred years.

I absolutely loved this book. Woods writes about the parks with such passion that I'm longing to go visit the places he saw. Reading about his childhood trips was a wonderful visit down my own memories of childhood journeys
Joanna Schneider
Feb 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is full of adventures. It will make you want to pack your bags and jump into a caravan and explore the US!
Polo
Oct 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: top-ten
If you enjoy National Parks and adventures in nature this is a book for you. I read from cover to cover and found the book to read like a novel. It is a life journey travelogue and more. I like the heart of this book. Its about nature, family, friends, adventure, and our National Parks here in the US. The parks preserve these special places we can share with family and friends generation after generation. This book brought to mind, memories of time with my family exploring the wildlife, sights, ...more
Allan
Jul 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What a great book. The author takes us on a journey over one year through many national parks. The book is both a love letter to his recently departed mother, and to the national parks they both enjoyed and loved. A real surprise as a local New Yorker was the inclusion of Gateway National Recreation area, a park I myself have recently 'discovered'. This book will inspire you to explore the national parks, especially with family and loved ones. A great read!
Lori Micho
Jun 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
I was interested in this book because, as my friends and family know, I am passionate about the parks and well on my way to having visited them all. But, the book is more than just a discussion about the future of the parks. At its core, it's a memoir about Mark Woods' relationship with his mother and his love for the parks which was instilled upon him by her. There was so much beauty and inspiration in the book... and not just in the descriptions of the parks themselves.
Patricia Swenson
Jun 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
As someone who has enjoyed many visits to different national parks over my lifetime, this seemed like a book I couldn't pass up. The author gives the reader a fresh perspective on the parks he visited, oftentimes tying his thoughts to previous memories he had made with his mother who had recently passed away.
Barbara
Jul 30, 2016 rated it liked it
I am a sucker for the National Parks. This is a personal memoir including the expected (Yosemite) and not-so-expected (Gateway NRA in NYC) parks in their centennial year. The personal is because the author's mother, also a park devotee, died during the year.
Karen
Aug 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! I did not want the adventure to end. I would happily read another Mark Woods book! So Take us on another adventure, Mark Woods!
Timothy Darling
Apr 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
As I said, I picked this book up in the Grand Canyon, and it was a good purchase. Woods talks about the National Parks while taking a year to visit one per month (or so). He begins with New Years at the top of Mount Cadillac in Acadia and ends in the crater of a volcano in Hawaii. Along the way he meets many people: park rangers, other campers, even the sister of a 9/11 victim. Well, to be fair, he already knew her, but they did spend time together at the Flight 93 monument in PA.

His purpose is
  • Out West: A Journey through Lewis and Clark's America
  • Dreams of Earth and Sky
  • The Inheritance
  • The Carry Home
  • The Names of the Stars: A Life in the Wilds
  • A Passion for Paris: Romanticism and Romance in the City of Light
  • My Father and Atticus Finch: A Lawyer's Fight for Justice in 1930s Alabama
  • A Sweetness to the Soul (Dreamcatcher)
  • Dear Mrs. Kennedy: The World Shares Its Grief, Letters November 1963
  • Way of the Reaper: My Greatest Untold Missions and the Art of Being a Sniper
  • Fail U.: The False Promise of Higher Education
  • An Island to Oneself: The Story of Six Years on a Desert Island
  • Game 7, 1986: Failure and Triumph in the Biggest Game of My Life
  • Pudge: The Biography of Carlton Fisk
  • RFK Jr.: Robert F. Kennedy Jr. and the Dark Side of the Dream
  • How to Think Like a Behavior Analyst: Understanding the Science That Can Change Your Life
  • North of Crazy: A Memoir
  • Don't Start Me Talkin'

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
“It’s pretty here all right, so pretty that you can get stupid looking at it and forget to pay attention to Death, who walks up wearing Yosemite as if it were a fine suit of clothes, and while you’re admiring the cloth and color, there’s Death standing in front of you and smiling, considering all the ways he’s got to kill you. Yeah, death hides in beauty. *   *   *” 4 likes
“When darkness is at its darkest, that is the beginning of all light.” 0 likes